• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Of what? The Wii U version? It won't be shown until E3. Nothing Wii U will.

In regards to FPS on Wii. Could one of those who have seen the light explain why it is so much better? I've finished Red Steel 1 & 2, Conduit, GoldenEye, all the CoD's and the Metroid Trilogy with pointer controls, and I never feel that I "get" them, and become genuinely good with them. It's always a constant compromise about movement or looking for me. Is there a shooter that did it more right then the others? Did I not toy enough with the settings for each game or am I just not capable of enjoying the pointer controls?

I was asking about a youtube link of the interview, not game footage

Well guys, if they DON'T include wiimote + nunchuck controls, atleast they can patch it this time around ;)

So we will end up with crappy support for it...

sad_dog.jpg

Vagabundo

I don't think that it is unreasonable to make decisions on buying a game based on how good the controls are for that game.

The Wii brought people to console gaming and console FPSs that weren't there before or had lapsed. Unfortunately 3rd parties - and Nintendo - dropped the ball with support. Now the WiiU has a fresh chance at these people. Millions of gamers interested in Wiimote pointing controls and FPSs. If Nintendo lets them many developers will ignore this market, because they are short sighted, stupid and have biases.

I'm not going to subject myself to dual analogue gaming when I have a PC there with superior controls. For me the Wiimote offers something even more fun than m/kb controls, it would tempt me more so than any gameplay gimmicks on the WiiPad.

So each to their own. I've learned a hard lesson with the Wii: don't think 3rd parties are going to do things that make sense. I'm taking a wait and see approach to the WiiU. If the games are there, and the genres that need it have Wiimote pointing support, then they could tempt me in again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting bits about the online infrastructure. I'm really curious to see this one Wii U. The motion tracker on the controller idea could really help make the game's atmosphere.

boiled goose

good with gravy

In regards to FPS on Wii. Could one of those who have seen the light explain why it is so much better? I've finished Red Steel 1 & 2, Conduit, GoldenEye, all the CoD's and the Metroid Trilogy with pointer controls, and I never feel that I "get" them, and become genuinely good with them. It's always a constant compromise about movement or looking for me. Is there a shooter that did it more right then the others? Did I not toy enough with the settings for each game or am I just not capable of enjoying the pointer controls?

I think the biggest problem with Wii Pointer controls is how much you have to tweak them to get them just right.

It seriously takes me like half an hour for each game to make it feel perfect. Once you get it there, it is worth it, but it is just such a hassle and actually makes these controls quite inaccesible to ppl used to other input method who dont have the patience to figure them out.

C4Lukins

This is so awesome that the Wii U is more powerful then 5 and 6 year old systems. Or is it 6 and 7 year old systems? I cannot keep up. I mean High Def... A miracle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting bits about the online infrastructure. I'm really curious to see this one Wii U. The motion tracker on the controller idea could really help make the game's atmosphere.
Looking down to your hands to check the motion tracker sounds annoying, but also really ingenius. It would require a lot more care than just looking in the corner of the screen. Do it at the wrong time, and you're eviscerated.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Once again, in my mind, the question was never whether Wii U would be more powerful than PS3 or 360, but how much more powerful. That's where the concern is.

snesfreak

Banned
Damn, I really didn't think anyone would be so ridiculous as to think the WiiU wouldn't be more powerful than the current gen HD systems. Yikes. Well, I stand corrected on the necessity of the claim made in the OP.
It really IS crazy that people would think that.
So I'm not surprised that some of you didn't believe it, you just underestimated the level of crazy GAF is capable of.

Once again, in my mind, the question was never whether Wii U would be more powerful than PS3 or 360, but how much more powerful. That's where the concern is.
That's why I'm not sure if there is that much crow to be served? I thought the general thinking was it's just "on par" didn't see much people saying it was weaker.

That's why I'm not sure if there is that much crow to be served? I thought the general thinking was it's just "on par" didn't see much people saying it was weaker.

Rest assured, when it debuted last year there were many posters on this and other boards who determined by the graphics demos tha it was weaker than PS360. Only the recent rumor mongering dispelled it, and even then it was only to "slightly" more powerful.

Boogybro

I'm glad that people are keeping track of these things. Maybe it'll help with keeping the E3 thread clean if people are held accountable for some of the things they say ;)

I against ideas that go against my personal E3 enjoyment. Keep it to yourself man!

Effect

Well guys, if they DON'T include wiimote + nunchuck controls, atleast they can patch it this time around ;)

No one should buy anything with the hopes something will be patched in. It's either in at the start or only be considered for purchase once it's patched in if Wii Remote and Nunchuck controls are important enough. The Wii U will use the controls. They will be used for local multiplayer games. It was used for all Wii FPS games. There is no excuse not to have it. If it's not included it's do to developer bias against it. I don't trust many of these developers in the end. It's why I'm buying the Wii U for Nintendo's IPs first and foremost. I'll buy PC versions of some games before I ever settle for dual analog again.

The Wii Remote is what got me into console FPS this generation and then eventually PC FPS. I had just dabbled here and there before that. The Wii is what made the genre one of my favorites. So no Wii remote support equals no purchase from me period. I'll simply stop playing those type of games on consoles and try to limit the PC ones I play to PC exclusives as to not support certain developers.

Looking down to your hands to check the motion tracker sounds annoying, but also really ingenius. It would require a lot more care than just looking in the corner of the screen. Do it at the wrong time, and you're eviscerated.

Love it. I can hear the ever familiar beeping, but dare I look down to see if they are close or do I keep my eyes firmly fixed on screen and hope they aren't about to come up behind me/from above and tear me a new asshole.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I shouldn't be getting so excited for a console I have no interest in.

Damn, I really didn't think anyone would be so ridiculous as to think the WiiU wouldn't be more powerful than the current gen HD systems. Yikes. Well, I stand corrected on the necessity of the claim made in the OP.
Gaming side can be a scary place outside of FightingGAF.

Kind of off-topic but is it a wide held belief that a Wii-mote plus motion controller is the best FPS console controller ever?...Really? I only played the third Metroid with it and I was amazed it actually worked pretty well but I never thought it was a superior control scheme. Same with PS Move it's works but I don't see how its superior.

MYE

Kind of off-topic but is it a wide held belief that a Wii-mote plus motion controller is the best FPS console controller ever?...Really? I only played the third Metroid with it and I was amazed it actually worked pretty well but I never thought it was a superior control scheme. Same with PS Move it's works but I don't see how its superior.

Well, it probably takes more than one game that isnt really a FPS to see how much faster and accurate it can be compared to twiddling thumbsticks and aim assists :p

Well, it probably takes more than one game that isnt really a FPS to see how much faster and accurate it can be compared to twiddling thumbsticks and aim assists :p

Is it comparable to PS Move? Cause I spent literally a hour trying to get comfortable with that for KZ3 and it just never clicked for me.

What FPS games are even on the Wii? COD?

Effect

Is it comparable to PS Move? Cause I spent literally a hour trying to get comfortable with that for KZ3 and it just never clicked for me.

Wii remote pointer controls are actually better then the PS Move controls. Period. For me at least. Something was always off for me with the PS Move after playing a lot of Wii games. However Resistance 3's PS Move controls are actually better then KZ3's. So I wouldn't use KZ3 as the go to game to judge the PS Move.

Effect

Hmm maybe I'll give R3 a try with it. What FPS games are you playing on the Wii? The only two I can think of is COD and Red Steel.

I've played the following with pointer controls.

Metroid Prime 3 (not really FPS but close enough for the list)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Goldeneye 007
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Conduit
Conduit 2
Sin and Punishment 2
Red Steel 2 (didn't play the first one)
Link's Crossbow Training
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

From Conduit 1 on more and more control options started to appear in games. So you could alter speed, bounding boxes, remap controls, etc. There are few others I haven't listed. All have been very good control wise. Some of the earlier ones like Call of Duty 3 and Medal of Honor are rough but the games get progressively better the most recent one being Call of Duty: MW3. The Wii version has issues but controls aren't one of them.

MYE

Try GOLDENEYE 007 with these control settings

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 35 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 30

Set the verticle speed to 9

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 20

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

sphagnum

Banned

The main ones are the Call of Duties, Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy, The Conduit and Conduit 2, GoldenEye, Red Steel and Red Steel 2, and some Medal of Honor titles.

edit: Welp, beaten, but also on-rails shooters like Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles.

Apocryphon

yeah but why would he call it sophisticated or advanced? come on.

This is also the guy who claimed to have beaten Gabe Newell at poker for the right to use the Gearbox name. Valve came out and said the two didn't meet until after Valve was formed. The long detailed story Pitchford came up with about the origin of the studios name was a straight up lie. The guy is full of shit.

Mlatador

Banned

I guess you did not toy enough with the controls. The Conduit's standart controls didn't work for me. The deadzone was too big, cameara control not precise enough.

At first I was a litte frustrated, but then I thought "there must be a way of getting more out of this". Eventually I found a nice configuration, got used to it, and now aiming and turning has become very natural to me, with a great deal of precision (much better than dual anolog).

In the Conduit 2 I found that the horizontal movement mapped to motion works best. The deadzone should be fairly small, but not too small. And the turning sensitivity is something you should just play with and test a little, until you find a comfortable setting.

I think once you got what improved it for you, it will make it easier to do it for other games.

I put switching weapons on nunchuck movement, btw. which is surprisingly nice.

Try to re-map some action, buttons, as well. It makes it better.

Mlatador

Banned
I just looked up my settings for Conduit 2

motion controls:

turning speed: 20
pointer sensitivity: 55
nunchuck sensitivity: 70 (because i use it for switching weapons)

camera

custom
x-axis - while crouching

y-axis - permanent

deadzone

hight: 64
wide: 67

(could be the other way around).

(wii motion plus is on)

automatic cursor centering: on
automatic turning: off

Works very well for me.

You could always raise the controller up so you can look at both.

About the pointing support, as said in another thread:
Or do they? Do we have confirmation the final unit works only with one pad? Also CC support.

This is so awesome that the Wii U is more powerful then 5 and 6 year old systems. Or is it 6 and 7 year old systems? I cannot keep up. I mean High Def... A miracle.
The posts affirming it's technical superiority over those two platforms have almost become a necessity though. Some actually believed (believe?) it is weaker. Even though it would take Nintendo intentionally hindering the hardware at no cost benefit for it to be so.

It's definitely going to be the weakest of the next-gen systems, maybe even by a long shot, but that is less funny than those that should know better stating it will be weaker than the PS3/360. Those guys are the ones spreading bullshit. Those of us not being assholes are just saying "Duh it's more powerful." It might have quadruple the RAM, and a variant of a 2009 moderate GPU.

We're not talking mega power here, but it should have been common sense that it would be more powerful.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
gahh

Try to think outside of the box. It has gyro controls, which combined with the dual analogs makes an absolutely incredible control system, as the PSVita has shown through Uncharted. It's definitely different to how the Wiimote plays, but to say it's absolutely terrible, when you haven't even used the damn thing is just silly.

Dual analog is inherently inferior to even a bad pointer control scheme. Steering your aim around slowly with a stick is a relatively garbage way to do things, which is only popular because there hasn't been a good alternative for console shooter players. Now, however, dual analog is a distant fourth behind kbm, wiimote, and move aiming controls, and arguably even touchscreen aiming.

It's terrible, and if Colonial Marines does allow wiimote support, you'd better not go online with a dual analog control scheme because Wiimote players will destroy you on a regular basis.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
We're not talking mega power here, but it should have been common sense that it would be more powerful.

Blame nintendo for that :) they had the balls to release a Gamecube+ as a new system in 2006. Never underestimate nintendo's ability to cheap out on specs, the Wii changed everything.

Blame nintendo for that :) they had the balls to release a Gamecube+ as a new system in 2006. Never underestimate nintendo's ability to cheap out on specs, the Wii changed everything.
There is a distinct difference my friend.

The Wii GPU is based on tech from 1998. Technically 1999 if we want to talk about when ArtX started the final design. Just clocked higher with a different memory architecture. This GPU is at the very least a 2009 variant in the post unified shader model era. The 360 started that era. This is five years newer. With 3-4x the RAM.

No this is more general tech stupidity from people that love to act like they understand it on even a basic level. Or they just have an irrational hate for an unfeeling videogame company. Which is crazy.

Good to hear but let's hope that in a year or two when both the next Xbox and Playstation come out that the Wii U isn't getting watered down ports again and the tech being outdated early on.

Top Bottom