• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Disney "Renaissance"-era films (1989-1999)

Lion King is by far the most memorable for me. Disney back to form after years of mediocre productions.
Although I like Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, they have lots of issues attributed to the fact that part of the animation was done in the French studio.
Gaston for example tends to look different every other scene.

I adore Rescuers down under and Hercules.

I LOATHE Hunchback (saw it in theaters on release and left very dissatisfied) and Pocahontas.

I'm pretty indifferent about Mulan. Don't know why, production values are amazing, but it felt to me they copied the Aladdin/Genie relationship too much.

Of the 10 in the op

S tier

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin
4 The Little Mermaid
5. Mulan

A tier

6. Hercules
7. Tarzan

B tier

8. Hunchback
9. The Rescuers Down Under

C tier

10. Pocahontas

Hunchback does have hellfire which is probably the best song/moment in any of the 10 films mentioned above. I'd say as a whole the top 7 are all films I can easily recommend with no caveats. Rescuers may be better then I remember but as a massive fan of the Rescuers I don't remember down under at all and I can't think of the last time I watched it. Pocahontas is the only film of the bunch which is bad, but colors of the wind is also a top 10 disney song.

Ehh, Rank the 00' Disney films if you want a challenge. Talk about a mix bag.

Oh lawd

A tier

1. The Emperor's New Groove
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. The Princess and the Frog

B tier
-

C tier

4. Fantasia 2000
5. Brother Bear
6. Atlantis
7. Treasure Planet
8. Bolt

D tier

9. Dinosaur

And I didn't see the other 3, the films in c tier could easily change if I rewatched them, but none of them were that memorable outside of brother bear and fantasia 2000.

Rukun

Neo Member
1. Lion King
2. Aladdin
3. Mulan (as mysterious as the dark side of THE MOOOOOOOON)
4. The Little Mermaid
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (so much better after I went back and watched it now that I'm older)
6. Hercules
7. Pocahontas (the HD version makes the animation comically bad though)
8. Beauty and the Beast
9. Rescuers Down Under
10. Tarzan (Never saw it all the way through, but some people rank it highly which makes me want to give it another shot)

Crazyorloco

1. The Lion King - This is my favorite movie of all time, and it should be yours too. Come at me. Some of Hans Zimmer's best work to me.
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Aladdin

gap....

5. Hercules

...gap.....
These are nowhere near the quality of the other films, but they are good.
6. The Rescuers Down Under
7. Tarzan
8. Mulan
9. Hunchback
10. Pocahontas

Here's my ranking because I didn't post one yet.

1: Hunchback
2: Beauty and the Beast
(These two are among my Top 5 Disney movies in general alongside Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stitch, and Wreck-It Ralph)

Great Tier but not Top 5
3: Lion King
4: Aladdin

Good Tier
5: Hercules
6: Mulan
7: Rescuers Down Under

Okay Tier
8: Tarzan
9: Little Mermaid

Bad Tier
10: Pocahontas