• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rappers sorted by size of vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Not surprised that Aesop Rock is at the top. Dude has a collegiate thesaurus when he raps

"When I first published this analysis, I excluded Aesop Rock, figuring he was too obscure. The Reddit hip hop community was in uproar, claiming Aesop would absolutely be #1. Sure enough, Aesop Rock is well-above every artist in my dataset and I was obliged to add him to the chart. In fact, his datapoint is so far to the right that he should be off the chart (I'm lazy and didn't adjust the scale)."

lmao "obscure"

been around for over a decade

Is there an English equivalent to this? Dude makes rap songs with 50 words chosen by the Internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv7ffsjmIH0

plénitude, litote, limbes, paradoxe, misogyne, espoir, hystérie, Fonzie, osmose, ecchymose, philanthrope, lycanthrope, vocalises, anarchie, sérigraphie, ubiquité, opiniâtre, échiquier, phlébite, ambidextre, acupuncture, onomatopée, démocratie, blasphème, répartie, animalerie, mélodrame, éthanol, suicide, digression, stigmate, barbarisme, perdition, inceste, palimpseste, étique, existence, apôtre, ignorance, beatbox, résiste, aphasie, antipode, moderne, factice, lexique, lapsus, firmament, asthénique, philharmonique

RELAYER

Banned
Seriously though, it's kind of a pointless comparison. The size of your vocabulary doesn't make you a notable lyricist.

For instance, take my favorite Tupac lyric -

Started as a seed from semen straight out of papa's nuts
Lusting for creamin bitches with big butts

You just can't top that.

iavi

They better have marked out all E40s goo goo gaga gouda bullshit before they added his total up.

Fusebox

Banned
By the way, I'll bet Saul Williams would give Aesop Rock a run for his money.
He's also a much much better lyricist than him (though it's not the fairest of comparisons).

p.s.
I would like to see a Brother Ali there too.

Saul was ripping it up on Colbert he other night, his poetry beats most rap. He was talking up Tupacs lyrics a bit too much as being suited for for that 'Holler' play though when in really it's more like...

Started as a seed from semen straight out of papa's nuts
Lusting for creamin bitches with big butts

Chichikov

Saul was ripping it up on Colbert he other night, his poetry beats most rap. He was talking up Tupacs lyrics a bit too much as being suited for for that 'Holler' play though when in really it's more like...
Haven't seen it yet, but yeah, I generally think that the whole "street poet" stuff is a bit overstated in regard to 2pac.
Not sure why people even go that way, 2pac was a fucking awesome rapper and he wrote great hip-hop lyrics, but they don't really work as poems, and I don't know, claiming that always struck as somehow suggesting that poetry is somehow a superior art-form.
I personally think such ranking of art forms is silly, but if one must, hip hop has a much much much MUCH higher batting average than poetry.

DOOM isn't quite as high as I thought he might be, but still a good placement. Aesop Rock is no surprise as the most verbose haha

Hunter S.

I thought Blackalicious would be near the top and they are. One of they few groups I like that stood the test of time for me.

JEKKI

co-signing lack of Del.

also, Camp Lo.

if E-40 can make the list for making up words, Camp Lo should be on there too.

their whole gimmick is making up random vocabulary.

Alright, that makes more sense.

Still, restricting it to only 35,000 is extremely arbitrary.

If they want some sort of way to be able to compare across people with different quantities of work, just do a unique words per words used average or something.

Yeah, I think this would be a better metric and still acts to normalize all the works

Orayn

I thought Blackalicious would be near the top and they are. One of they few groups I like that stood the test of time for me.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Alphabet Aerobics and Chemical Calisthenics are practically cheating when it comes to making progress in this list!

EYEL1NER

I'm surprised to see The Game as high as he is. I mean, I love The Game, but I coulda swore the only words he knew were "Dre," "chronic," and "'64."

Not at all surprised to see Aesop on top though.

Esch

Banned
Wonder how jay from different eras would measure up. Bet RD is boosting stats a bit.

Well, album Jay and pre-RD/unreleased cuts/features/mixtape Jay are different beasts. And there's only album Jay on there.

But they included that Moment of Clarity quote at the end. Either way, vocab doesn't make you deep or your music good. It just means you keep a thesaurus around you.

If DMX got a double score for the word "nigga" or "nigger" he would probably be in another universe on this scale. Also "grrrrrr" or "bark"

Kevtones

I freestyle better than your outdated, premeditated vocab. Send you back to rehab.

Plebian, I'ma calm combo of caffeine and crack.
Simple and grounded, that'll grind you into decaf.
But step back, I'll soak your shit in half and half.
Cause your stench been spoiled, expiration passed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
French rappers blow all of them out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom