• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay officially announced - $30 and available August 4, 2015

Syriel

Can someone who:

1) Has Rare Replay as a digital pre-load
2) Is NOT in the preview program
3) Has a physical disc for one of the disc based games (Kameo, VP, etc.)

Try the following:

1) Put in disc.
2) Try to boot the pre-load game.

Does it:

1) Tell you you're too early?
2) Launch the game w/o issue?

Heretic

giphy.gif

lol perfect response.

jesu

Can someone who:

Try the following:

1) Put in disc.

Does it:

It should download a version you can play,
You might have to download it again.

So I just checked my order status on Best Buy and it says that my Rare Replay is backordered for some reason?

Anyone else have a similar problem or know why it would say that? I can't imagine Best Buy's stock being completely cleaned out.

Karak

So I just checked my order status on Best Buy and it says that my Rare Replay is backordered for some reason?

Anyone else have a similar problem or know why it would say that? I can't imagine Best Buy's stock being completely cleaned out.

That is the 4th report from either a Best Buy, Walmart, or...I can't remember the other store. All reporting. something strange like Discontinued, or Backordered without fill date. People reporting it on other forums as well. Could be a limited print or something? Or...hmm. Not sure

Conezays

Is that just in the US though?
That would be 5pm here, but I assume it will be at midnight.
I haven't pre-ordered a digital game yet so I don't know what happens.

Yeah, that's just NA as far as I know. I guess the UK has a different unlock time.

That is the 4th report from either a Best Buy, Walmart, or...I can't remember the other store. All reporting. something strange like Discontinued, or Backordered without fill date. People reporting it on other forums as well. Could be a limited print or something? Or...hmm. Not sure

Ugh, hopefully it's not anything serious. It would be a bit weird they didn't print enough copies of this.

I submitted a support ticket to see what's going on. Hopefully I'll have an update relatively soon.

Can someone who:

Try the following:

1) Put in disc.

Does it:

You cannot play a backward compatible game from disc without being in the preview program because it has to download the game from Xbox Live. The Rare Replay Xbox 360 titles are different to that of the BC versions. I have Perfect Dark XBLA and preloaded Rare Replay. Perfect Dark XBLA is different to that of Rare Replay's because I still have Perfect Dark listed under the Ready to Install section even though I preloaded Perfect Dark XBLA with Rare Replay (and it says Preordered for Perfect Dark, I am also in the Preview Program).

Syriel

You cannot play a backward compatible game from disc without being in the preview program because it has to download the game from Xbox Live. The Rare Replay Xbox 360 titles are different to that of the BC versions. I have Perfect Dark XBLA and preloaded Rare Replay. Perfect Dark XBLA is different to that of Rare Replay's because I still have Perfect Dark listed under the Ready to Install section even though I preloaded Perfect Dark XBLA with Rare Replay (and it says Preordered for Perfect Dark, I am also in the Preview Program).

You would think that, but when I installed my Kameo disc the store copy it links to is the Rare Replay version. And when I pre-loaded Rare Replay (after having installed Kameo), it pre-loaded the other eight games (so I also ended up with two copies of Perfect Dark), but it didn't pre-load another copy of Kameo.

If I have the Kameo disc in, the installed game starts up. If I have the Kameo disc out, I get the standard "too early" pre-order message. It seems like the disc id links to the Rare Replay build on the servers.

I was curious to see what happened with others who had preordered but didn't have preview access.

You would think that, but when I installed my Kameo disc the store copy it links to is the Rare Replay version. And when I pre-loaded Rare Replay (after having installed Kameo), it pre-loaded the other eight games (so I also ended up with two copies of Perfect Dark), but it didn't pre-load another copy of Kameo.

If I have the Kameo disc in, the installed game starts up. If I have the Kameo disc out, I get the standard "too early" pre-order message. It seems like the disc id links to the Rare Replay build on the servers.

I was curious to see what happened with others who had preordered but didn't have preview access.

Huh, that is odd why the disc would point to the Rare Replay version. Maybe a glitch or just the way wanted it to work. Who knows, I still never tried PD XBLA in BC...

Wish that hot Microsoft store offered that deal with the digital version. Want to always have these games on my drive(and playable without the disc :p)

addyb

Looking through the list again I'm really happy with the nes representation. Cobra triangle, battle toads and the rc pro am games were amongst my favourites on that console.

Games I havent played on that list.

JFG
Perfect dark zero
Jetpac refuelled
Viva pinata
Grabbed by the ghoulies
Banjo nuts n bolts

I've been playing the game all day on Twitch. Just saying it now, but this Rare Replay collection is fuckin brilliant. Not to turn it into a console war or anything but this is the definitive game to get of any current gen system. Yeah it's sad the best next gen has to offer are games from the 1980s that can only display 8 colours but it's that good.
Amazingly fun and it's not going to stop any time soon.

Storm360

I verified last night by the way that all DLCs ARE present in my disc copy of Rare Replay even though the 360 emulator doesn't support it yet, the games DLC show up and are playable

Syriel

I verified last night by the way that all DLCs ARE present in my disc copy of Rare Replay even though the 360 emulator doesn't support it yet, the games DLC show up and are playable

The 360 emulator supports DLC.

It just doesn't support adding them separately at this point (aka if the DLC is not currently pre-loaded inside the emulator).

For example, the Kameo copy I mentioned earlier was installed via the preview program (using the original disc as the key) and it included all of the DLC. It was all included the packaged download.

First realized something was up when one of the 0 point achievements for a free DLC (that I had never downloaded) popped as soon as I fired up the BC copy.

Storm360

The 360 emulator supports DLC.

It just doesn't support adding them separately at this point (aka if the DLC is not currently pre-loaded inside the emulator).

For example, the Kameo copy I mentioned earlier was installed via the preview program (using the original disc as the key) and it included all of the DLC. It was all included the packaged download.

First realized something was up when one of the 0 point achievements for a free DLC (that I had never downloaded) popped as soon as I fired up the BC copy.

Ah interesting, PAL retail games dont work yet with BC, so didn't know it supported DLC, figured it didn't support it at all

Syriel

Ah interesting, PAL retail games dont work yet with BC, so didn't know it supported DLC, figured it didn't support it at all

I'm guessing it's more of a "where you do store it" question (as well as how do you buy it if a game doesn't have an in-game store).

Right now there is no way to manage storage within an emulator image. You just get whatever is there in the download. There is also no access to the XBLM or even the dash (each emulator image points to the game default executable rather than the dash executable on boot).

Should there be one shared, external virtual drive for all the emulators? Fixed size? Can it grow? Do the images need to account for all DLC (wasting space for those that don't have the DLC)? Will adding DLC on-the-fly break the security verification of the image?

The game and the 360 OS support DLC. It's the delivery infrastructure that MS has to work out.

eshwaaz

Mid-level saves have only been added to the older games, correct? I'd like to replay Perfect Dark, but a lot of those levels were just brutal with no checkpoints.

I hear if you go on Twitter and send Rare a screenshot of your 100% completed Blast Corps file they'll unlock Rare Replay for you early.

When Destiny came out there was a way for people that pre-loaded it to unlock it a day early. I was wondernig if that is possible for Rare Replay

EBE

Hmmm interesting , did perfect dark zero have multiplayer map dlc? Or just skins and etc

it had a few maps but they were rolled into the base game long ago I'm pretty sure. I had them before BC and I never purchased/downloaded anything but the game itself

addyb

I heard that if you go to rare headquarters wielding a catapult and baring your ass whilst throwing faeces at staff they will then unlock the game for you.

addyb

Woh, I didn't realize this was releasing this week... I still am playing batman... I have no time anymore for videogames. :(

I don't have that much time anymore. I tend to get halfway through games and leave them. I've only finished 2 games this gen. Shadows of Mordor and dark souls II. I've even left bloodborne unfinished which is a stupid thing.

Top Bottom