• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

daTRUballin

I think it's time for Banjo-Kart (or Rare kart) on Xbox One.
Similar to Diddy Kong Racing (boats, planes, karts). 16 players online. That would be so cool. Rare is the only developer who could make such a game with the same quality as Mario Kart.

Don't mention Sega Allstars Racing....it was crap :p (yeah, hyperbole)

So, you've never played it before? It's amazing! The beginning is slow though (well...like in all strategy games).

Haven't Rare recently hired a bunch of people that worked on racing games before? I know their studio head (Craig Duncan) worked at companies like Sumo Digital and Midway, which have worked on racing games before.

_SAKY_

I'm on chapter 6 of 9 in Conker's BFD. In that past I put this game down early on (Terminator spoof boss). Im amazed that this game is holding my attention given the mature (see: immature) content. I am immensely dissapointed that there is no onlone MP for Conker as I have always wanted this for "Beach" mode alone....live and reloaded failed me here as well. Anyway, looking forward to completing Conker, I figure about 3 more hours still.

Where do I go from here?

P.S. it's a sin that DK country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, and most of all - Diddy Kong Racing didnt make it into this collection. I get get that there is licensing issues but damn.

I'm on chapter 6 of 9 in Conker's BFD. In that past I put this game down early on (Terminator spoof boss). Im amazed that this game is holding my attention given the mature (see: immature) content. I am immensely dissapointed that there is no onlone MP for Conker as I have always wanted this for "Beach" mode alone....live and reloaded failed me here as well. Anyway, looking forward to completing Conker, I figure about 3 more hours still.

Where do I go from here?

P.S. it's a sin that DK country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, and most of all - Diddy Kong Racing didnt make it into this collection. I get get that there is licensing issues but damn.

Killer Instinct Gold is there.

As for DK, 007 and Diddy Racing this would have been the best compilation I've ever seen if they made it in. Shit even without them this is still top 5 of the best compilations.

Xemnas89

So I started playing Viva Pinata at 5:46 just to try it out and now at 11:20 I've finally turned it off. It's insane how addicting it can be. It's a beautiful looking game and has that Rare charm. I just recently got someone to help me water plants before stopping which is nice a suppose but I still found myself watering the plants and making her job meaningless lol.

I'm just curious but does the size of your garden ever grow? I can barely hold all the pinatas I have and I know there must be tons more of them.

etrain911

So I started playing Viva Pinata at 5:46 just to try it out and now at 11:20 I've finally turned it off. It's insane how addicting it can be. It's a beautiful looking game and has that Rare charm. I just recently got someone to help me water plants before stopping which is nice a suppose but I still found myself watering the plants and making her job meaningless lol.

I'm just curious but does the size of your garden ever grow? I can barely hold all the pinatas I have and I know there must be tons more of them.

I believe it does as you progress through the game.

TheKeyPit

Banned

I've reached level 10 or 11 and the garden got a bit bigger then making my stuff look misplaced. Is there a way to move objects around?

Drago

Your garden grows when you reach ranks 11 and 21, if we're talking the first VP. Dunno if it's the same or different for TiP.

Xemnas89

Your garden grows when you reach ranks 11 and 21, if we're talking the first VP. Dunno if it's the same or different for TiP.

I'm rank 10 right now so it's good to know I'll be getting a bigger garden shortly. I've only ever been able to get 2 species to romance so far though. I'll see about more of that stuff tomorrow.

big_z

it gets bigger but never expect to hold all the piñatas in one garden. it ends up becoming a holding pen for the piñata you need in order to attract new ones.

In Gun Fright when you've gone through all the famous people, you start killing mexicans, gunslingers and hillbillys. It literally says "Mexicans". So, all mexicans are outlaws I guess.

daTRUballin

In Gun Fright when you've gone through all the famous people, you start killing mexicans, gunslingers and hillbillys. It literally says "Mexicans". So, all mexicans are outlaws I guess.

Haha this has been pointed out in this thread a couple weeks ago and there was a discussion about it. :p

I like Rare's sense of humor in poking fun at modern gaming and Quick Time Events with their Grabbed by the Ghoulies achievement. The achievement to survive 20 super scary scares where you go into a quick time event to survive is appropriately named "The Future of Gaming" ;)

Sioul

One JFG question. I'm missing some little koalas so I will replay some levels, I need to get all the tribals on the level at the same time or just get the ones I need?

Underwurld just may be the worst game I have ever played in my life. Anyone agree? Even the snapshots are horrible.

Otherwise, this collection is fantastic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't even eat stuff like that, and always stop playing while eating. It's the xbox controllers the way the sticks are built dirt gets stuck very easily compared to other controllers and literally when I hardly play. Other controllers only get this dirty after years of play and without wiping or cleaning them at all. Was this really not tested?

Your dirt thing sounds kinda..... Unusual....

I took a break from this game to play Donkey Kong 64 on Wii U. They really need Diddy Kong Racing on there too but alas, I'll continue to wait.

I'm surprisingly enjoying DK64 more than I thought I would. I know it's the collectathon to end collectathons but it's not that bad in retrospect.

That being said, the Banjo series is easily in my top five personal favorite franchises and DK64 doesn't really hold a candle to Kazooie or Tooie. I might jump into the DKC trilogy after since I'm on a Rare binge anyways.

Durock

Battletoads Rat Race... Man. The first 2 portions of it were fairly easy, but that third part is nigh impossible. Can't make any lee way on him at all. Any tips? I'm not using any rewind at all, only infinite lives.

Lothar

Banned
Battletoads Rat Race... Man. The first 2 portions of it were fairly easy, but that third part is nigh impossible. Can't make any lee way on him at all. Any tips? I'm not using any rewind at all, only infinite lives.

You can hit him as he runs past you. Time it so that he's running past you right before the edge of the platform. Hit him and try to bounce him off the wall. That will send him running back the wrong way. Keep doing it over and over.

Since I'm impressed that you're not using rewind, here's pictures!

ysg7mDX.png
JbSm4Lv.png
XSualVB.png
q9eiUsE.png

Drago

Button Masher snapshot wasn't bad. Did it on my first try, but when I went to do it a second time to try and better my time, I failed miserably. I dunno!

Now if you really want to button mash to your hearts content, I hear there's a bird lady on Cloud Cuckooland who has a Jiggy and a Cheato page to give you....

Lazaro

Button Masher snapshot wasn't bad. Did it on my first try, but when I went to do it a second time to try and better my time, I failed miserably. I dunno!

Now if you really want to button mash to your hearts content, I hear there's a bird lady on Cloud Cuckooland who has a Jiggy and a Cheato page to give you....

Huh, I never found Canary Mary's challenges to be that hard, even when I was younger.

But that Rc Pro am snapshot made me insane. Its similar to a boss fight in Sonic Rush where you had to altertate between the A and B buttons as well.

Underwurld just may be the worst game I have ever played in my life. Anyone agree? Even the snapshots are horrible.

Between the 2 other sequels, I enjoyed it alot more for the sole fact that it has a unique mechanic/damage animation that could help you get across rooms. It's hilarious when you bounce off a wall, hit an enemy then bounce to the next screen. Not to mention satisfying.

Wootball

I got the 1000 GS in Viva Pinata when it first came out - I'm assuming that means I can't unlock them again in Rare Replay? If not, do the milestones automatically unlock for VP on Rare Replay or do I need to play through it again to get them?

I got the 1000 GS in Viva Pinata when it first came out - I'm assuming that means I can't unlock them again in Rare Replay? If not, do the milestones automatically unlock for VP on Rare Replay or do I need to play through it again to get them?

It's the same achievements, so you won't be able to get them again. Yes, the milestones will unlock when you go to Viva Piñata.

Its not great that's for sure. The controls suck, and for a platformer I can't stand that. Its worth just pressing left/right at the edge of a platform rather than jumping as you have an auto jump that is pretty damn useful for traversing the game world.

At first I thought Jet Force Gemini was unplayable, even with the new controls. But then I learned that all you have to do is pretty much hold LT the whole time and it controls fairly well. Hurts my hands after a while though.

I finished Battletoads yesterday. I wish I could say it's a great game, but it's spoiled by the insane difficulty level. Honestly, it's one of the hardest games I've ever played, even with the rewind function. And it's not a good difficulty. I don't know how anybody had the time, patience, and skill required to beat it back in the day. I had heard stories about the Turbo Tunnel level, but that's a walk in the park compared to later levels.

The Clinger-Winger level in particular is horrendous. I'll never play that level again. I abused the hell out of the rewind function, and still found it a nightmare.

It's a real shame, as Battletoads would be an outstanding game if it were more accessible. The graphics, sound, controls, and variety in gameplay mechanics are all incredibly impressive for it's age.

I finished Battletoads yesterday. I wish I could say it's a great game, but it's spoiled by the insane difficulty level. Honestly, it's one of the hardest games I've ever played, even with the rewind function. And it's not a good difficulty. I don't know how anybody had the time, patience, and skill required to beat it back in the day. I had heard stories about the Turbo Tunnel level, but that's a walk in the park compared to later levels.

The Clinger-Winger level in particular is horrendous. I'll never play that level again. I abused the hell out of the rewind function, and still found it a nightmare.

It's a real shame, as Battletoads would be an outstanding game if it were more accessible. The graphics, sound, controls, and variety in gameplay mechanics are all incredibly impressive for it's age.

Back then we didn't have hundreds of other games available to us at all times. Why should I get frustrated with a ridiculously hard game, when I can just choose another much better game elsewhere? I don't even have to shut down Rare Replay to find 29 other games I can play right away.

Yeah I really enjoyed battletoads back in the day... I'd play it over and over and over trying to get past the turbo tunnel and the few times you would make it past and the following land then the following level would require some trial and error and memorization to get through. I was only 6 or 7 but it was a ton of fun.

Ivery especially enjoyed replaying it in this collection with the assists from the rewind button. The mix between platforming, beat me up, and the other stuff they throw in there means the game is always offering something new and challenging and it's incredibly satisfying (even with the rewind cheats).

However I still cannot get past that dam clinger winger level. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've been up to this portion twice now and it feels dam near impossible to me. Maybe it's because it was meant to be played on a crt without any input lag.

Lothar

Banned
Do ClingerWinger by pausing on every turn if you want to cheat it. When I do it like that, I don't even see the orb on the screen.

Do ClingerWinger by pausing on every turn if you want to cheat it. When I do it like that, I don't even see the orb on the screen.

What do you mean? Do you hit pass as your going into the turn and then press the direction you need to go? Wouldn't that lead to the same result basically by mistiming the turn? I used the rewind feature to attempt to nail it every time and that dam ball still catchs me.

Lothar

Banned
What do you mean? Do you hit pass as your going into the turn and then press the direction you need to go? Wouldn't that lead to the same result basically by mistiming the turn? I used the rewind feature to attempt to nail it every time and that dam ball still catchs me.

Always pause as you hit a corner, and then hold the direction you need to go. The main advantage to doing it like that is it slows it down, you're not rushed, and it's impossible for you to screw up and press the wrong direction. I can't see how rewind would even help here.

Xemnas89

I'm really wanting to give nuts and bolts a try but I've heard some bad things about the framerate. Should I wait for some BC improvements or is it fine to go ahead and jump in?

painey

did anyone here buy the game online from MS and get their $10 code? I haven't, and I think I'm gunna have to call em up because I can't find an email address to send a complaint.

Top Bottom