• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi 400: the $70 desktop PC

Bullet Club

They've finally gone full C64/Speccy/Amiga/Atari ST etc.

Raspberry Pi 400: the $70 desktop PC

Raspberry Pi has always been a PC company. Inspired by the home computers of the 1980s, our mission is to put affordable, high-performance, programmable computers into the hands of people all over the world. And inspired by these classic PCs, here is Raspberry Pi 400: a complete personal computer, built into a compact keyboard.

Raspberry Pi 4, which we launched in June last year, is roughly forty times as powerful as the original Raspberry Pi, and offers an experience that is indistinguishable from a legacy PC for the majority of users. Particularly since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve seen a rapid increase in the use of Raspberry Pi 4 for home working and studying.

m5voRAT.jpg

But user friendliness is about more than performance: it can also be about form factor. In particular, having fewer objects on your desk makes for a simpler set-up experience. Classic home computers – BBC Micros, ZX Spectrums, Commodore Amigas, and the rest – integrated the motherboard directly into the keyboard. No separate system unit and case; no keyboard cable. Just a computer, a power supply, a monitor cable, and (sometimes) a mouse.

Raspberry Pi 400

We’ve never been shy about borrowing a good idea. Which brings us to Raspberry Pi 400: it’s a faster, cooler 4GB Raspberry Pi 4, integrated into a compact keyboard. Priced at just $70 for the computer on its own, or $100 for a ready-to-go kit, if you’re looking for an affordable PC for day-to-day use this is the Raspberry Pi for you.

IvM4aTv.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is actually really cool! I suppose the next natural evolution of this is to integrate it into a slim style laptop device.

As always, these types of things are fun for hobbyists and revolutionary for economically challenged parts of the world.

iJudged

Banned
How's the OS on pie? What does it go on? Apps? I've been living under the rock as far as Pi goes, it always has my curiosity but I never looked at it, now, now it has my attention.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How's the OS on pie? What does it go on? Apps? I've been living under the rock as far as Pi goes, it always has my curiosity but I never looked at it, now, now it has my attention.
You have many different versions of linux.
I will prolly turn this into my diablo 2 box ..

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The official one is Debian based, but you can install any other flavor of Linux, or BSD or even android (performance with Android isn't great).
You can install an OS (Linux based) just for emulation of several old consoles and another one (also Linux) just for media/streaming.

If they are inspired by classic computers, they should offer a quality mechanical keyboard. The one they used looks like a garbage Chinese Apple bootleg.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Pi OS is probably the best.

The good thing about the Pi is you can just chuck a compatible OS on a micro SD and away you go. You can test them all out easily.

it needs 8GB... a serious Linux machine has 8GB. YES, linux run great with 4GB or less, but when you use Chrome, wow the memory gets eaten fast.
Agreed, but they probably wanted to keep it at US$100 for the kit version, which is the type of thing they can sell in stores.

jaysius

Banned
Has anyone used a Pi 4 for just browsing and light online activities? How well does it run Youtube 1080p 60?

GamesAreFun

Banned
I am so out of loop with raspberry pi. It does not run windows right ?

There's a special version of Windows 10 ("Internet of Things" (IoT) Core) you can run, though 99% of people with a Pi run Linux, usually the Raspbian distribution. Windows 10 on the Pi can't run most traditional Windows software, because the CPU is ARM and not Intel-based.

I have a Pi 3, but haven't used it that much, don't usually fancy programming or messing about with computers after doing the same for work.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
it needs 8GB... a serious Linux machine has 8GB. YES, linux run great with 4GB or less, but when you use Chrome, wow the memory gets eaten fast.

If you want 8gb of ram, you have to buy the pi board.

If it's like the Apple keyboard then it's garbage. I need my switches brown and keys lubed.

Some people like Apple keyboard, so it all depends on what it is you're after.

Browns suck mate if you like tactile, get the matias with their alp-style switches.

Last edited:

Agent X

This is very interesting to me. I had been considering a Raspberry Pi for a while, but it's really nice to see this preassembled package with the computer inside of the keyboard. That type of design is reminiscent of home computers from the early 1980s, which is appropriate for me, since one of my intentions is to emulate some of those old computers.

jaysius

Banned
There's a special version of Windows 10 ("Internet of Things" (IoT) Core) you can run, though 99% of people with a Pi run Linux, usually the Raspbian distribution. Windows 10 on the Pi can't run most traditional Windows software, because the CPU is ARM and not Intel-based.

I have a Pi 3, but haven't used it that much, don't usually fancy programming or messing about with computers after doing the same for work.

I've used my Pi3 strictly to watch movies, it does EXCELLENT 23.997FPS playback with lossless PCM and also bitstream codecs, it's great for that with OSMC on there.

LordOfChaos

Is ordering a Pi still a "$70, but really 150 because it's sold out everywhere" situation?

*Checks ebay for Pi 4*
Sure seems that way

poodaddy

she'll love you for sure

it's like getting a Zune on christmas when you asked for an ipod
Eh, she's 9. What would she do with higher powered machines? This is a great way to get her started with what she's gonna use it for, chatting with her friends, watching streaming content, and just generally being a silly jackass online with her buddies.

buizel

Banned
Eh, she's 9. What would she do with higher powered machines? This is a great way to get her started with what she's gonna use it for, chatting with her friends, watching streaming content, and just generally being a silly jackass online with her buddies.

dude if shes not overclocking her gtx 3080 to get those extra frames for those star citizen asteroid grinds what is she even doing

(just here to provide light hearted relief)

Top Bottom