• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi 400: the $70 desktop PC

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The Pi 4 came out in June 2019 before *waves around* all this, it was scalped for a much higher price than MRSP for a very long time. This new normal isn't what I'm referring to in terms of Raspberry.

I bought a Pi 4 Juli 2019 from pimoroni at msrp... Perhaps I got lucky? lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So this is basically just a prebuilt Pi 4 B kit, right? Even the stand alone version without the keyboard case and mouse I mean. No new stuff on it or anything, they just claim "cooler and faster" because of a heatsink or whatever so they clock to 1.8 instead of the 4's 1.5 (which people run to like 2 Ghz with their own case, hsf etc.).

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Very cool, going to move my RetroArch stuff from the Shield TV to this little fucker. Just ordered one for 109.95 € on a Dutch site.

Thanati

This is my raspberry pi 4.
I bought an old A600 case, got a keyboard adapter and hooked it up. Works like a charm :)
I 3D printed the back parts to allow for the cables.
G0D6S0W.jpg

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

The Pi 4 came out in June 2019 before *waves around* all this, it was scalped for a much higher price than MRSP for a very long time. This new normal isn't what I'm referring to in terms of Raspberry.
I don't think I got super lucky, but my Pi4 4GB was dispatched 2nd July 2019.
Do try going to the official resellers for your region. UK at least seems to have these in stock.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
My order got delayed until the 25th which sucks. My 8bitdo controller is already here and I'm working on a ES built on my PC that I can put on it when it arrives. Very excite!

iAGd5dQ.png

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
thnx. what OS performs best? Ubuntu, i hope :D

Raspian is based on Debian, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, so the underlying OS is basically the same. As with any linux you can swap to a different desktop environment easily if you prefer KDE, Gnome, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE, Openbox, etc.

Bullet Club

In this video, we take a look at the all-new Raspberry Pi 400 AIO personal PC in a keyboard! We do an unboxing, hardware overview, Gaming test, emulation test, thermal testing, and finally a tear down on the Raspberry pi 400 to see what makes it tick! Powered by the BCM 2711 Arm CPU clocked at 1.8GHZ of the box “can be overclocked to 2.2Ghz” and backed by 4GB of LPDDR4! So is the pi 400 worth $70? Should you buy one? Can you game on the pi 400? Let’s find out!

wtDP11g.png

Last edited:

Bullet Club

A couple of more videos:

I have a quick question for Bullet Club Bullet Club :

Is the 400 worth getting now, or would it be wise to wait for a potential 8 GB version?
That's a question I've been asking myself.

It depends what you want to use it for. If you do want to use it as a desktop, then it probably is worth sticking with the kit you have now until an upgraded version comes out, especially you like to open lots of tabs in your browser. If an upgraded version comes out that is.

I've been thinking about getting one to use as an Amiga with a big PiAmiga image. That won't really need 8GB and having it all in one with a keyboard makes things easier.

Bullet Club

Most (or all) of the videos posted so far have been fairly positive about the 400. Here's the first negative review.

His main complaint is that they went with 4GB instead of 8GB.

Keihart

Hackermans on the go now mainstream, looks pretty neat.
"No officer, it's a toy, you can't hack shit with this...not that i would know tho:rolleyes:"

Bullet Club

In this video, I show you how to turn the Raspberry pi 400 Into the Ultimate Amiga using PiMiga! This also works with the Raspberry pi 400 but I wanted to focus on the Pi 400 due to the form factor.
This OS will allow you to boot the raspberry pi into the Amiga workbench so you get that full OS feel! SO if you have ever wanted to get into the Amiga but just can't fork out the cash for a real unit I definitely recommend trying out PiMiga on the RAspberry Pi 400 or the Raspberry pi 4

Get PiMiga Here:
Subscribe to Chris Edwards Here: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisEdwardsRestoration/videos

Fredrik

This is awesome! I’m enjoying Amiga stuff well enough on Retroarch through Xbox Series X at the moment but as soon as you need keys things get complicated (on-screen keyboard).
Only problem I see with this is all the cables. You either need to sit at a desk or have really long cables to get this to work.

Top Bottom