• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank (2029) leaked: concept art, dev build and script

nial

Gold Member
Concept art:
wtYmjuW.jpeg

YQ3apd6.jpeg

AaGtZZL.jpeg

PdEXM9C.jpeg

lskje65.png

ZeeIDjB.png

s6ev6yZ.png

qtzrTlB.png

zs3CrKb.png

Dev build screenshots:
z0osrdO.jpeg

CUJldn7.jpeg

BNFTf8M.jpeg

Story script:
6dpsCXD.png

KQ41EQW.png

kC61jbz.png

Source:

Last edited:
Surprised Sony gave this the greenlight considering Rift Apart flopped. Days Gone 2 devs probably looking at this envying as fuck.

Especially considering insomniac seemingly chose to change nothing with this sequel.

Gonnah play, look, and talk just like rift apart.

Raonak

Banned
Sounds fantastic! Wonder if this one will have co-op?

2029 is so far away tho, probably a PS6 exclusive.

Lupin25

Surprised Sony gave this the greenlight considering Rift Apart flopped. Days Gone 2 devs probably looking at this envying as fuck.

Should stop with this narrative

Bend as a whole ultimately chose a new IP, over the director’s bias for Days Gone, which ultimately ousted them. Frankly, Sony needs new IP at the moment.

I’d rather stealth-action or some other genre Sony lacks in.

Danwan224

Should stop with this narrative

Bend as a whole ultimately chose a new IP, over the director’s bias for Days Gone, which ultimately ousted them. Frankly, Sony needs new IP at the moment.

I’d rather stealth-action or some other genre Sony lacks in.
Do you know who you responded to

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
IMO, Sony greenlighting games is one part sales and profits and one part halo effect.

Games like LOU, Spiderman, GOW etc.... are pure money makers.

Games like Dreams, R&C, Sackboy etc... are for the gamer community to enjoy seeing some unique stuff for a console ecosystem they know they wont buy, but it's cool to see. R&C is the "Cool Graphics" piece. Dreams is the "Creators Heaven" piece, Sackboy is the "Platformer Fun" piece. Even though most gamers will gravitate to COD, FIFA, Fortnite and Sony's AAA SP games, it's nice to see a rounded out games library for the sake of being complete though they wont buy or play them.

It's like when a car company spends tons of tv ad money on their high end cars hardly anyone buys. It creates an aura of coolness, when in reality most of their customers will buy a Civic or Corolla or Sentras.

Last edited:
Insomniac makes the most popular Sony exclusive game ever. They can keep making Ratchet games on the side. It's more than Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch ever does with their legacy IP.
That was from outdated data, now we know that Ratchet was profitable because for the fiscal Year 2021, the game had made $145,000,000 and it's budget was around $80,000,000.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds cool to me, although fairly worthless info considering it’s supposedly a 2029 title.. I imagine most , if not all, of this info will have changed by then.

Last edited:
let it die. look at the sales. spiderman sells 10x more. focus on making it the best spiderman game you can. give that team the entire 5 years. let ratchet die like nd let Jak die. it should be a business decision at this point. if i was an investor, i would be asking why this is being made over spiderman.
well, imo, they pretty much already have done. replaying rift apart right now, & the story & the characters are just so determinedly, overwhelmingly 2-dimensional, maudlin & over-burdened with 'feels', & any remaining humor so cute & sitcom safe, that the series, aside from the over-the-top action, no longer really resembles what it once was, & feels like it's been basically reduced to empty, soulless shtick. as a fan of the series since the beginning, i'm a bit disappointed, but i also feel that the change in tone, things being the way they are now, became somewhat inevitable. oh, well - when the games were good, they were very, very good, & i'll always be grateful to insomniac for them...

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
“Flopped”? Yeah okay, I’ll take the bait.

Rift Apart was, at worst, a successful loss-leader (edit— and, in fact, not even that, given the additional 600,000 sales it made after the number on the widely-misunderstood chart you seem to be drawing on) that helped drive sales to the platform at the start of a new generation and served as a demo of its technical csapabilities. It was as much a “flop” as Astrobot was, with both helping secure Sony’s dominant position within the marketplace and the phenomenal hardware and software sales it has seen since then. It’s part of the reason there are no “Sony keeps promising they will release games next year” memes.

Last edited:

EDMIX

?

1. Sony may not see that game as a Flop. As in, they might be accepting a loss on early launch stuff, as why have another game already greenlit if the felt the series was done or something?

2. Days Gone 2 was also not made based on SONY BEND themselves, not based on Sony as a publisher, several employees have already confirmed this and why would Sony give them yet another new IP if the last one flopped or something? If it didn't do well, we'd be seeing them do that team like how they did Evolution Studios following DriveClub or something.

A game that got delayed a lot, team had issues, didn't have other projects to hold up the studio.

So...I don't see Sony Bend as giving a fuck, as I don't see any evidence they are being forced to not make Days Gone 2 or something lol Knowing a few developers myself who work and worked at Sony, they seem to be pretty open to what the teams actually make and I don't see enough here to suggest Days Gone 1 did soooooo bad that they would not be ok with a sequel or something.

If that was the case, they would not be giving them a more expensive new IP, they'd just close the team down or something.

.....its easier to just say stop listening to Jason Schreier lol

Last edited:

Xtib81

Damn, every fucking thing has leaked, that's wild.
Looks interesting enough but they need to shake the formula somehow. I played rift apart and don't remember anything about it, it's such a forgettable game.

Last edited:
Damn - you have to feel for them a bit - this is really invasive.

But they really need to go back to the drawing board with the characters. As a PC gamer, Rift Apart was the first one I played, and I don't think I've ever seen a lamer cartoon duo. They barely had definable personalities. Apparently they used to have more edge to them - now there's nothing.

Tomi

Ratchet is classic ps franchise and one of the most fun platformer ever, so ratchet is here to stay regardless 8 million loss on rift apart

Jim Ryan

Last edited:

tommib

let it die. look at the sales. spiderman sells 10x more. focus on making it the best spiderman game you can. give that team the entire 5 years. let ratchet die like nd let Jak die. it should be a business decision at this point. if i was an investor, i would be asking why this is being made over spiderman.
Brain rot. Look at the state of Hollywood that has completely abandoned any genre known to earth that is not a tentpole global blockbuster and is constantly at the verge of disappearing at the sight of one titanic financial disaster.

Ratchet games have 10 times the charisma and visual inventiveness of a global industrial product like Spider-Man - where all bets are made and consequently all industry talent falls into.

This type of populist business decision has created the dumbest cinema audience we’ve ever seen, an audience orchestrated to only pay tickets for the dumbest super hero capeshit without any kind of interest in say an adult thriller like we had not that long ago, think Silence of the Lambs.

Killing anything that is not a global massive seller is on its way to make this industry the least interesting and innovative it has ever been, at least on the side of Sony.

Sony was known for its offbeat titles, club culture, experimental game design, innovation, Japan… This brain rot will just double down its path to a total mind-numbing populist deck of games with massive global reach with the potential to kill a whole studio the moment a full on fiasco hits them.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

More Ratchet and Clank in my veins
Thanks Insomniac that all of your upcoming games got leaked i love you 😘

Last edited:

yazenov

If you think the game flopped, that is a very narrow-minded way of thinking.

The game was a critical hit with a Metacritic score of 88 and a 1st party PS5 exclusive launch game/launch window that added value to the console. Imagine the PS5 launch without any compelling 1st party games like Xbox Series to sell the system. Yes, that's why the PS5 sold so well.

Sony had a catalog of great 1st party games to sell the system. The same thing could be said with the Demon Soul Remake. Both of those 1st party games took an initial hit in unit sales due to the new userbase but it helped sell the console.

Sony also added the game to the PS Plus catalog to increase the value of their subscription service. In that sense, the game was not a flop by any stretch of the imagination.

Now let's see how this game will sell after the PS5's userbase has matured with millions of potential consumers. They could also make it cross-gen with the potential PS6.

Last edited:
You need to stop this narrative, it didn't flop, it made profit. The idea it flopped is based on an outdated slide showing predictions and not actual sales of the game. The updated data we have from the Sony leak shows it made profit.

https://gamingbolt.com/ratchet-and-...-2-2-million-units-incurred-an-8-million-loss

It made $145 million back on an $81 million budget so it made some nice profit.

2ZGl8RT.jpg

jelzZZw.jpg

Last edited:

Hugare

Days Gone budget was way higher than R&C. Also dev time. Insomniac can make a R&C in their sleep, while Bend spend almost a decade developing Days Gone

One can argue Days Gone was not different enough to broaden Sony's line up, overshadowed by their other Zombie game. Or games, since Dead Nation also already existed and that is actually different enough to TLoU. It was a gen too late to actually make sense and imho should not have been greenlit in the first place. While Ratchet (and Sackboy and Dreams) do add variety, with limited success though. Sony kinda fails in many areas, their mascots do not really work as they should to also attract kids/Nintendo fans. Imho Sackboy and Astrobot have much more potential than Ratchet (and Jak, or the Cerny trainwreck Knack). Sony should use their manpower to work on those (3D or try some probably cheaper 2D iteration), or on a proper LBP Karting or PS Allstars successor or on something that can follow the Quantic Dream gap they now have and not waste more people on too similar Zombie stuff even if the Days Gone guys probably had a vision of where they wanted to go with it. Imho continuing The Order would also make more sense than Days Gone.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I want that frametime tool that shows CPU and GPU frametime separately for PC, does it even exist on PC? I've only ever seen a average frametime but nothing that distinguishes the CPU and GPU times.

I wish that plans for a ps3 emulator had leaked. i think the best we will get is a few brute force emulated games on PS Plus for the PS6, if that.

Top Bottom