• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank 3 online Gamespot impressions

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I was under the impression it supports voice chat during gameplay.

Marconelly is beta testing it so he can probably put this straight.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Weren't they using voice chat during the onstage demo at the pre-E3 Sony conference? I've also seen it mentioned in multiple previews. It should be there during gameplay, at least.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm beta tester and the headset support is there and working nice - during gameplay and the match setup / lobby. What the hell is Gamespot smoking?

Marconelly said:
I'm beta tester and the headset support is there and working nice - during gameplay and the match setup / lobby. What the hell is Gamespot smoking?

Are maps too big Marconelly? It seems that you don't encounter many people often in maps.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, I've read the preview and nowhere they say there's no headset support. So... what is Wyzdom skomoking? :p

Are maps too big Marconelly? It seems that you don't encounter many people often in maps.
When there's 8 people playing, they seem just the right size. You meet people often but you also have a chance to sneak and go to the base unnoticed if you try hard (however, the base is well protected with various automatic systems which never let you do too much damage alone in one attempt) You also have the vehicles which you can use to traverse quicker and the second guy can jump in and man the vehicle's gun.

Ranger X

Well, since he was saying that we have to communicate by text and didn't mention there's voice in lobby, i was wondering if there was a support for the headset at all. That's why i asked.

I still smoke some good shit though, want some? ;)

Ryu

I honestly think more people per server would be a great improvement. I even said so in the beta questionaire. There just needs to be more frequent encounters. I'd say fourteen people per server would be plenty.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if I would sacrifice game smoothness (if it was to suffer) for more players. It's very impressive what they've accomplished so far, and playing the game at solid 60FPS with no lag and perfectly smooth controls really feels good, which is something I wish I could say about Socom or other such games that I've tried so far.

Btw, very significant improvement is that now you have three control modes to choose from: first one is the exact copy of R&C2, second is like FPS controls in third person mode (you use R1 to fire) and it's the best mode for playing online, IMO. The third is an actual FPS mode. It's also very satisfying that all the control modes have a really smooth feel to them, they nailed the right stick POV control perfectly, which is something very few dedicated FPS games ever did (and none on the PS2 from what I can rememeber)

What I'm talking about is that there's a huge difference between games that have linear POV moving velocity (bad, bad, bad) and those that accelerate the longer you push the stick. The same problem also applies to many 3rd person games, but it's not as jarring there as it is in FPS games. Just try rotating the camera in J&D (see how 'right' it feels?) and then rotate the camera in 'Pitfall: The Lost Expedition' or some other such poorly made platformer (feels somehow 'raw' and just wrong).

BuddyC

I played in the R&C Online Beta for a bit, before handing it off to someone much more worthy of it. What I played was really, really solid...accomodating quite well to both platformer and FPS fans.

They've got a very very strong foundation for R&C3. What they have just works. The major wildcard with it is the people you play with...and that's it. Everything else is great, and if a strong enough GAF community forms upon release, I'll jump on it.

Agent X

BuddyChrist83 said:
I played in the R&C Online Beta for a bit, before handing it off to someone much more worthy of it. What I played was really, really solid...accomodating quite well to both platformer and FPS fans.

They've got a very very strong foundation for R&C3. What they have just works. The major wildcard with it is the people you play with...and that's it. Everything else is great, and if a strong enough GAF community forms upon release, I'll jump on it.

I agree with what you and Marconelly said above. I've been participating in the online beta, too, and it's excellent so far. I've already got the game preordered, so you can consider that the start of our community. :)

Top Bottom