• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

Yes Boss!

Shit, that was my next Wii U game (for what seemed like a loonnnngggg time).

I'll likely get in once it price-bombs on PS3 since I've got the original there.

CoolS

Well fuck you UbiSoft!

I was going to buy this game after the demo, which I really liked but no way they're getting my money for anything in the near future. And their explanation is beyond stupid

They are completely different games. If Rayman Legends is going to sell poorly, it'll sell poorly in every month.

It's not about them being the same games. It's not like someone is going to go in to a store looking for Rayman, notice GTA is out, and get that instead.

Stores won't order as much stock in order to make room for GTA, media only has so much time and manpower to cover things and Rayman will take a backseat to bigger releases (like GTA), things like store windows won't have Rayman standees and posters, they will be advertising GTA.

There is a reason games, even non-FPSes, get delayed instead of coming out against Black Ops. You have to spend more to compete with titles that toss around phrases like "the biggest entertainment event of all time."

Roo

ome on man, Wiii U can't catch a break.
Ubisoft can really fuck off right now
I don't mind the game going multiplatform, actually I prefer it that way, the game deserves more sales
But what I can't understand is the delay for the Wii U version.
What a shitty move, Ubisoft. They KNOW it's one of the most anticipaded games, it had potential as a system seller, they KNOW the Wii U is basically crawling and starving for new games and what do they do? delay it 7 FUCKING MONTHS!! Exactly the same month GTA V releases. I don't know if they do it on purpose or they're just unintentionally retarded.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I really don't see how this makes business sense for Ubisoft. This was never going to be a huge seller on any platform, but it had a chance to be literally the only quality Wii U release in nearly 4 months and IMO could have sold pretty well just because of Wii U owners being starved for games.

In September I see it bombing everywhere.

Drago

Well shit!

Not really bothered by the move to other platforms, but I am bothered by the MASSIVE delay. Why?! :(

Neiteio

The fuck? They delay the Wii U version to September so it can release alongside the other version?

I sincerely wish this game sell poorly. I was going to get it, now I won't. Good job Ubi.
I'm sure Ubisoft will be terribly, terribly distraught over losing your sale as they count their hundreds of thousands of additional sales from 360 and PS3 users who loved Origins and are all too happy to pick up Legends! ;)

It's not about them being the same games. It's not like someone is going to go in to a store looking for Rayman, notice GTA is out, and get that instead.

Stores won't order as much stock in order to make room for GTA, media only has so much time and manpower to cover things and Rayman will take a backseat to bigger releases (like GTA), things like store windows won't have Rayman standees and posters, they will be advertising GTA.

There is a reason games, even non-FPSes, get delayed instead of coming out against Black Ops. You have to spend more to compete with titles that toss around phrases like "the biggest entertainment event of all time."

This. After they released Origins in November, I really thought they'd have learnt this lesson.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wait, so Legends was delayed to September?

Blades64

Banned
Wow. Ubi really screwed Nintendo over huh? I'm not pissed that it's coming to the PS360 also, but what is the purpose of the delay 3 WEEKS BEFORE its supposed release date? This is a sick move coming from Ubisoft...

hatmoza

I'm excited that this will go multiplat but I can't help but wonder what truly motivated Ubi to make this go multi. Is it the current WiiU sales that scared Ubi from making this exclusive? Nintendo should have fought for this in my opinion. Even if they had to throw a little cheddar at Ubi to keep it exclusive.

Lo-Volt

It's fine that this is a multiplatform game now, but Wii U owners are left with a totally bare first half of this calendar year. If it really takes this long to port the game to the 'Twins,' so be it, but I'd rather Ubisoft just release this game in this calendar quarter. The Wii U needs the game, the platform audience would probably be friendly to it and we're all going to be thinking of holiday games and those new consoles in September.

Somnid

Doesn't seem like a good strategy to release in fall as it's already a harder sell. Didn't overly care about exclusivity but they could have sold it on that at least initially. Maybe they'll implement their NFC concept?

or it was 'done' but they ultimately decided it needed more work. it's not a given that the Wii U version isn't going to see a lot of changes from the game that would have come out in December.

maybe Murfy will be completely optional now in the Wii U version for those that didn't want to play as him, with the 360/PS3 levels switching in and replacing the sections that required Murfy.

*that* hypothetical version of the game wasn't 'done'. yeah?

This is possible but we've heard nothing to the tune that this is happening. The PR even doubled down on all that stuff when discussing the Wii U version.

Wow. Ubi really screwed Nintendo over huh? I'm not pissed that it's coming to the PS360 also, but what is the purpose of the delay 3 WEEKS BEFORE its supposed release date? This sick of Ubisoft...

The game was done. This delay is JUST so they can develop the ports of the PS3 / 360 version...

Wow, I just realized after this, that that Monolith game they teased at the Nintendo direct is the only thing that keeps me from selling my Wii U at the moment.

Damn, that delay is certainly hitting my trust in the Wii U hard.

Liamario

Banned
It's a new IP (gameplay wise) and I think going multiplatform gives the game the chance it deserves. Origins is seriously under appreciated; sales wise.

Gambit

Yep bargain bin or used. Should be able to find a mint copy a few weeks after release.

Since they don't mind letting a finished game rot for 7 months, I won't mind letting the game rot at retail for a few weeks or months. Maybe next year.

agreed. This month I would have bought day 1, but now it's bargain bin time.

Linkhero1

Ubisoft not ignoring a install base of almost 150.000.000 consoles. I hope the game will sell like hot cakes.

But they are ignoring the fact that multiple other games are coming out in that time frame, including our beloved GTA V. It's going to bomb hard against GTA V.

I really don't see how this makes business sense for Ubisoft. This was never going to be a huge seller on any platform, but it had a chance to be literally the only quality Wii U release in nearly 4 months and IMO could have sold pretty well just because of Wii U owners being starved for games.

In September I see it bombing everywhere.

It still has a decent chance of selling best on Wii U, for what little that's worth.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
You know what blows my mind?

THIS WAS THE ONLY PLAYABLE DEMO ON WII U KIOSKS AT LAUNCH TIME

Not even Mario, LEGO City, or Sonic Racing!! How many excuses does Ubi-soft need?

This is just mindblowing to me.

I mean.... Wow. The WiiU launch has to go down as one of the most biggest gaming clusterfucks of all-time after this. I know that sounds drastic, but think about all the shit that has happened since E3 2012.

MisterHero

This is because WiiU sales were slow, right?
Gee I wonder why

-old titles
-non-exclusive
-people collected the earlier installments on other consoles
-don't release said collections on Wii U AND charge full price for the single game

Volcynika

I'm sure Ubisoft will be terribly, terribly distraught over losing your sale as they count their hundreds of thousands of additional sales from 360 and PS3 users who loved Origins and are all too happy to pick up Legends! ;)

Hundreds of thousands?

Erasus

Love Origins on PS3 in 1080p and this does not seem more demanding, or any other technical reason it NEEDS to be on the WiiU lol
PS3 and 360 can run this juuust fine so let them. Why are people mad/sad over this?

Im happy.

SykoTech

It will be releasing amidst the following:

GTA V
Nintendo's fall releases (Wind Waker HD for sure, 3D Mario and Mario Kart U possible)
Orbis/Durango

Legends will get eaten alive at retail by all that.

The first game launched in the same kind of situation and everyone one here said it tanked and there would never be another. Yet Ubisoft still came from, said it performed profitably, and greenlit a sequel.

Phenomic

I bet Mr. Iwata is thrilled with this right now.

Obviously based on what he said at the Nintendo Direct he knows that the Wii U line up isn't exactly thrilling the world right now, and not that Rayman necessarily would set the world on fire, but at least it was something relatively soon they could get to the market.

Wonder if we will see Ubisoft and Yves Guillemot brought up on stage at future Nintendo E3 events anymore due to this.

Just seems like a strange thing to do to Nintendo weeks before a game is launched.

KPunk

completely lost all interest in this title, and obviously pissed off like everyone else here. only good thing about this is i'll buy this games two months after release for $20 now that its coming to all consoles.

Linkhero1

It still has a decent chance of selling best on Wii U, for what little that's worth.

Especially since there's nothing else on the Wii U for the next few months. Think about it. By the time this comes out, we'll be going through our next wave of Nintendo first party games and other third party titles. They're basically giving people more reasons not to buy it.

Fireblend

Banned
What? No PC release? Why?

If you're going to take Wii U's exclusivity anyaway, why not release it for the only platform that's not going to be replaced in the next year? D:

Top Bottom