• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer's Project Christine: modular PC that anyone can upgrade.

Razer and Valve are working at opposite ends. It's cute. One is making complete PC builds in many form factors, and Razer is making one form factor that you got to piece together.

I'm not a fan of this idea. Everyone is striking out in the PC market it seems.

lol glad im not the only one not a fan of case cable shit.

This solves the problem with no case at all!

I think i also got into a problem where i got a fan for my case that for some reason i just couldn't find the stupid arrow that SHOULD be there to point where airflow went.

zainetor

Banned
It's never been simpler. It takes 10 minutes to build up a PC from scratch now, it's that easy. It's impossible to make a mistake unless you do it on purpose. Hell even jumpers now come with a prebuilt connector to connect everything easily with some cases.

well maybe not 10 minutes, more like 20, but yes, it's really easy today.

Dennis

Banned
I'll never understand that trend :/ My case looks like a stormtrooper and it's hideous, but it was the best bang for the buck and that price range

Almost as tacky as the good old GPU chainmail bikini illustrations or some stupid monster or something.

We should have a Worst
Best
GPU Illustration thread to relive the olden days of hideous tackiness.

SandTorso

Cool concept, and I'll be interested to see where it goes. I can only assume it'll have a slight markup per part, so I would still go the traditional way, but I have to admit it is really interesting.

Raide

Amazing. So this is for people who have no idea how to build a PC but have enough interest and vast amounts of disposable income to afford one? Outside of the core of the hardcore, this thing is dead in the water.

SmokyDave

People knocking the look of it: I actually think it looks as good as your average enthusiast PC rig.

Yeah, one could wish for a less tacky, more stylish and mature appearance but jesus guys have you seen the LED monstrosities out there now?
Now? They've been around a good long while!

My current PC is lovely (black featureless case with lots of ventilation and no drive bays) but the one I built before that (in about 2003) had two colour-changing LED strips down each side (that looked like tubes full of bubbles) as well as 4 fans with blue LEDS and blue LED back lighting in the side panel.

Fuck me, it was awful. Oh, also, the case was silver. Uh-huh.

Dr Dogg

Almost as tacky as the good old GPU chainmail bikini illustrations or some stupid monster or something.

Because you know all gamers who drop £500+ on graphics cards are drawn to dragons on the box art like they're 12 or under. Some of the EVGA posters are comical.

Fularu

Banned

We should have a Worst
Best
GPU Illustration thread to relive the olden days of hideous tackiness.

Asus would win them all.

Alienous

Do you swap computer parts so regularly that something like this is widely wanted?

I certainly don't. I can withstand the tinkering every so often.

wildfire

Banned
At first I was lukewarm to this but then I realized the CPU is modular as well.

The latency hit would be severe I would guess but just making CPU sockets modular is enough to warm me over to this idea.

There are connection standards that run the spectrum of bandwidth over latency where PCIE sits in the middle. They could make this work and be affordable.

Grief.exe

Really cool concept, I would imagine the price is astronomical considering Razer and the proprietary concepts behind this.

Azzurri

I actually think this is an awesome concept.

Would be awesome if 3rd party vendors made the parts just for this. Like an Asus VC in this factor.

Fularu

Banned
For about 99.9% of people, it's not.

My mother is 62 and builds her own PCs. She bought the parts, read the manuals and started assembling.

You either want to do it or you don't I guess, but difficulty has nothing to do with it (and she was doing it when the manuals sucked and we still had the AGP bus)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Uh, motherboards are pretty much already like that. You literally can't put anything in the wrong slot without breaking it.

Except for motherboard to case jumpers. Those are a bitch. Especially if you get piss poor documentation of what's what.

That's largely been solved too now by motherboard manufacturers including header blocks to ease installation. Simply plug the jumper cables from the case onto the loose header block, then plug the whole header block onto the motherboard in one easy go.

Dennis

Banned
Really cool concept, I would imagine the price is astronomical considering Razer and the proprietary concepts behind this.

I actually think this is an awesome concept.

Would be awesome if 3rd party vendors made the parts just for this. Like an Asus VC in this factor.

Yup, I love the concept.

Might not be for me personally but anything that makes it more accessible is good.

Alienous

I'm more interested in Valve's case or anything like it than something like this, but I wouldn't turn it away. I don't upgrade often but I usually do it one or two parts at a time rather than a big overhaul.

It seems perfect for a Steam Machine concept.

Entry, Gamer and Enthusiast levels.

Buy a brick that contains a combination of CPU, GPU, RAM and PSU and slot it into a Steam Machine. Being more modular than that? Unnecessary, I think.

EDIT:
I just realised that is essentially just buying a new system. But if you separate the CPU, GPU and RAM and make them modular then it might need less dexterity, but it'll still be confusing. Exactly what turns people off.

Azzurri

I wonder if other companies could end up doing this waaaaay down the line. The base could be the motherboard so, and the other parts are like lego blocks you can just plug and play.

Building a PC is not that hard. Whenever I tell people I built my own PC they think I'm a genius and I've done the impossible. Companies like asus, msi, evga, corsair, etc. need to communicate better how building a pc is not really a daunting task. This is a great idea by Razer though! This can potentially push pc gaming to the masses.

sekrit

Banned
I wonder if you can open the individual parts without losing warranty? Maybe upgradeable upgrade parts for people who like to dig deeper.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I know a few people who have 2k to drop on a gaming machine, but haven't yet because they find the process intimidating. There is definitely a market for this. Hell, if I won the lottery I would get one of these. They seem neat.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
*looks at photo*

Hmm, that's....interesting....I have no problem with it, but PC building is still a pretty hard process for most folks.

Razer's CEO said he didn't care about making money and I now completely believe him.

hehehehe

*watches video*

"mineral oil cooled"

:O

That sounds cool.

Nafai1123

Banned
Building PC's is already pretty much like putting legos together, but I could see this being popular among those who are scared of breaking something. Price is the big question.

Dennis

Banned
*looks at photo*

Hmm, that's....interesting....I have no problem with it, but PC building is still a pretty hard process for most folks.

hehehehe

*watches video*

"mineral oil cooled"

:O

That sounds cool.

Mineral?

Only the best Extra Virgin Olive Oil for my rig.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is a neat idea, and if the base with module casing isn't prohibitively expensive it might be a pretty great boon for the people who are looking into getting into PC gaming.

Even still, I kinda love the idea of being able to upgrade a part in under 2minutes without taking things a part.

Especially the CPU.

It's a neat concept I hope it goes places.

Mesoian

Reminds me of that Thermaltake(?) case that I think BMW designed.

It is pretty fascinating to see how many companies are trying to tackle PC systems these days. I built my own 3 years ago so unfortunately none of them appeal to me in the slightest.

Very true.

Though the thermalake 10 case is still sexy as hell. I'd definitely pick one up if I could be bothered to spend 300 bucks on a case.

sekrit

Banned
I know a few people who have 2k to drop on a gaming machine, but haven't yet because they find the process intimidating. There is definitely a market for this. Hell, if I won the lottery I would get one of these. They seem neat.

Why don't they just buy a pre-built machine?

It looks cool but proprietary connectors and hardware like this is needlessly expensive and well... proprietary...

We don't need fragmentation of connectors in the pc market, we don't need overpriced proprietary crap

no thanks

A modern pc is like legos anyhow, any retard can plug in some ram or a video card or a cpu, the hardest thing is probably to screw on an aftermarket cooler

massoluk

Banned
My mother is 62 and builds her own PCs. She bought the parts, read the manuals and started assembling.

You either want to do it or you don't I guess, but difficulty has nothing to do with it (and she was doing it when the manuals sucked and we still had the AGP bus)

I don't build PC for a living, but I did completely build 2 rigs and swapping parts countless time. I dreaded every time I opened my rig up, what if I hit that wire? What if I accidently hit this part or that part? So I really want this. A peace of mind is always welcome.

20mins?

I guess if you have a magnetic power screwdriver and this isn't your first build with the specific case and mobo. And probably one of the more expensive cases that have most things use those plastic things instead of screws.

And I haven't found a 3rd party cpu cooler solution that isn't confusing as hell to stick on without watching a yt video.

40- 1 hr seems about right.

kanuuna

I'm not sure I'd like to pay a 15% premium to get a component in Razer's proprietary ezSwap form.
I'm also not really sure who this is for when people who'd rather pay the premium fee than slap a PC together themselves are served by the likes of Alienware and Origin. I would also imagine those shops would be glad to help you with upgrading the PC you've previously purchased from them if budged.

Oh, and do the right thing and bribe me with your products if you intend to trademark my made-up marketing term for swappable parts.

Top Bottom