• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer's Project Christine: modular PC that anyone can upgrade.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As a regular system builder I think this modular PC is awesome. Looks like something right out of Star Trek.

However I get the impression that it's going to be bloody expensive as well.

Timeaisis

Looks cool, but this is going to be ridiculously overpriced. I wonder how they handle components? Are they like purchased through razer, who encases them in their "modular pods" or whatever?

ref

Looks neat, but yeah, the premium is going to be insane on something like this.

I understand why people find it intimidating to deal with computer part installation/maintenance, I was the same way, but once you learn about it, it really does become quite easy.

Anion

Although it looks epic and I am a huge huge Razer fan, I don't understand this product.

Like its made for the casual gamers and people who don’t know how to upgrade pcs, but at the same time this company is known to be a hardcore gaming company. I feel like informed gamers get their products. Moreover, casuals may or may not even have heard of the company -- let alone shell out a high price for it.
I don't know, I really like Razer and I hope they do well, but at the same time I don't expect this to sell well.

Edit:
Read up some more, it seems that it is also made pretty high tech in its own right (especially with the cooling mechanism)
Now, I wonder if it is going to cost a lot of $. I think the price could make or break this.

Nokterian

No price yet? i guess 5000 dollars at least since Razer knows how to target it's audience with there prices. Also looks hideous.

UnrealEck

So how would they get around CPU sockets and upgrading to a new CPU? This thing would also lock you into buying everything from Razer I guess, unless of course this design became the norm and other hardware manufacturers could use it.

From what I can tell this seems like it would only suit people that don't want anything to do with footering with the innards of a PC.

Baleoce

This is awesome but also sounds (and looks) incredibly expensive. Still, innovative high-end products are always nice.

Yeah, I have nothing against there being a high-end accessible line of PC's such as this. But they will undoubtedly be expensive like you say.

Although it looks epic and I am a huge huge Razer fan, I don't understand this product.

Like its made for the casual gamers and people who don’t know how to upgrade pcs, but at the same time this company is known to be a hardcore gaming company. I feel like informed gamers get their products. Moreover, casuals may or may not even have heard of the company -- let alone shell out a high price for it.
I don't know, I really like Razer and I hope they do well, but at the same time I don't expect this to sell well.

I don't know. I'm pretty sure there's a market of hardcore gamers who don't know how or just don't want to build a PC, but have the money to buy something premium like this. Normally, they'd buy a pre-built PC but they also might want to have the freedom to customize it in the future with as little hassle as possible. This thing will live or die on price though and I think the main competition it should be gunning for is pre-built PCs.

kamspy

I don't build PC for a living, but I did completely build 2 rigs and swapping parts countless time. I dreaded every time I opened my rig up, what if I hit that wire? What if I accidently hit this part or that part? So I really want this. A peace of mind is always welcome.

Do your hands have really bad tremors or something?

Sega system fans rejoice!

Oh wow, this game a big laugh, thanks mate :D

As for this concept, although it might seem cool at first sight, don't we already have a modular PC that anyone can upgrade? Why would we change, with no obvious gain, for a proprietary system? To me this makes even less sense than the modular cellphone a few companies are researching.

Anion

I don't know. I'm pretty sure there's a market of hardcore gamers who don't know how or just don't want to build a PC, but have the money to buy something premium like this. Normally, they'd buy a pre-built PC but they also might want to have the freedom to customize it in the future with as little hassle as possible. This thing will live or die on price though and I think the main competition it should be gunning for is pre-built PCs.

Ah, good point. I overlooked that (probably cause Im a hardware dude lol)

Omega

Banned
does it come with a cover or something? that looks hideous

it's cool that the functionality is there, but most people are not going to buy something ugly.

Coolwhip

Banned
Neat idea, I thought of something like this years ago too.

It surprises me that desktop PCs (high-end) are still these huge monstrosities in 2014 that look like they come from the 80s. When will we finally have a high end PC hidden in our screen?

I think hardcore gamers who know enough about specs to discern whether they want a 2014 mid level card from AMD or Nvidia know enough about switching parts inside a computer case.

VariantX

its nice to hear at least people are thinking about and working on the idea of super simple hardware upgrades that anyone can do. Hope this is something coming in the near future.

jamsy

I think it's really nifty and something, as someone who values portability and can't have a desktop because I'm always moving, I'd definitely be interested in. However, looking at past Razer products, if this ever gets made, I'm expecting it to be underpowered and overpriced...

HariKari

its nice to hear at least people are thinking about and working on the idea of super simple hardware upgrades that anyone can do. Hope this is something coming in the near future.

Hardware is already pretty simple to upgrade. This actually convolutes things in a way, by requiring proprietary modules.

LeleSocho

Banned
Heh i had this idea like 3-4 years ago when i thought that one of the 3 console makers would do something like that with an alliance with Valve...
Essentially i thought of this and SteamOS 3-4 years before it happened... sucks not being able to capitalize these ideas :/

mkenyon

Banned
People knocking the look of it: I actually think it looks as good as your average enthusiast PC rig.

Yeah, one could wish for a less tacky, more stylish and mature appearance but jesus guys have you seen the LED monstrosities out there now?
Before saying this, I'd actually agree with you a bit on the styling of it. Not too bad at all.

Buuuut, PC building has really started to go in the opposite direction these days. All about super clean builds without a bunch of tacky shit.

ozmK7h.jpg

x8Kpb9i.png

q9iVRai.jpg
what a genius way to idiot proof pc building.

offer a range of prices on the individual modules so folks can go high or low on this and you will be golden.
But it's already idiot proofed.

Here's the PC they're definitely drawing from:

Hardware is already pretty simple to upgrade. This actually convolutes things in a way, by requiring proprietary modules.
This too.

This seems, disruptive. If not now but, in the future. I don't want to bring in OT debates in here but, this is what it is. Might be impractical but, it's not a simple PC to look like a console. A high price point seems justifiable at this point.

mkenyon

Banned
This seems, disruptive. If not now but, in the future. I don't want to bring in OT debates in here but, this is what it is. Might be impractical but, it's not a simple PC to look like a console. A high price point seems justifiable at this point.
I'm having trouble with this line, I can't quite understand what you mean.

you know what would make pc more mainstream? if the darn gaming pc parts didn't all have names that sound like shitty 90's butt rock bands.

Somnid

I actually like this idea. Fuck building computers, I hate that shit.

Pulling out cables, screws, seating delicate contacts and doing it in an order that's not messy and doesn't paint you into a corner can take hours and is stressful. I think all this is saying is that we need more care not just for plugs but the actual size and shape of everything. We already have standards, I think we should standardize those things too. And if I plug in the module and it doesn't work it gets sent back because fuck troubleshooting too. I can't believe people enjoy that stuff.

This is an incredibly good idea... that will suffer at the hands of really high prices and possibly 'proprietary parts only' compatibility problems.

mkenyon said:
I'm having trouble with this line, I can't quite understand what you mean.

Meaning; this can be applied to future pc 'consoles', I don't know why it hasn't been yet. Get people comfortable with the idea of a modular console. Also is a great way for Razer to make some dough from their hardware.

mkenyon

Banned
I actually like this idea. Fuck building computers, I hate that shit.

Pulling out cables, screws, seating delicate contacts and doing it in an order that's not messy and doesn't paint you into a corner can take hours and is stressful. I think all this is saying is that we need more care not just for plugs but the actual size and shape of everything. We already have standards, I think we should standardize those things too. And if I plug in the module and it doesn't work it gets sent back because fuck troubleshooting too. I can't believe people enjoy that stuff.
You can't plug cables in that don't fit anymore.
Meaning; this can be applied to future pc 'consoles', I don't know why it hasn't been yet. Get people comfortable with the idea of a modular console. Also is a great way for Razer to make some dough from their hardware.
But PC's are already modular.

I think hardcore gamers who know enough about specs to discern whether they want a 2014 mid level card from AMD or Nvidia know enough about switching parts inside a computer case.

Maybe once they already have a PC that's already built, but from scratch? Not as easy as some of you make it out to be. All I'm saying is never underestimate convenience, or how much people will pay for it. Also, don't conflate "hardcore gamer" with "tech-savvy".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I can see the market for this honestly.

Recently had to help my uncle install a new PSU and graphics card. Honestly I think that if he were to take one peek into the case he would never have even asked me. Especially seeing that a lot of computer parts have poor documentation of what you're supposed to do with them. Also the fear of breaking something is strong.

On one hand it seems like a very smart idea, tapping into a market of people who want a gaming PC that don't like the idea of building/upgrading themselves. On the other hand it's a Razer product so it's probably going to be stupidly expensive, putting it firmly into the budget range of serious PC gamers who mostly all build their own rigs anyway.

I'm doubting Razer can pull it off, but if they can offer a range of parts for different budgets and get the base unit price right down (i.e. not charging hundreds of pounds for the tower alone) it could really take off.

mkenyon said:

myself said:

Did you read my post or just quote and reply?

I'm thinking this is the right way to go and honestly, I am a little concerned with what I have been seeing lately on pc gaming consoles. Again, I won't derail into the Steambox OT.

this kind of module pc is pretty much what i thought steam box will be. Spend 500 on 1 setup, but you can easily swap out parts and what not.

Somnid

You can't plug cables in that don't fit anymore.

Oh it's still pretty easy to do on the motherboard case cables but that's not even the problem. Sometimes video cards are huge and take up too much space, cables aren't always long enough and you do the reach-around or wait 4 days to get new ones. Ever mess up thermal grease? It's a pain to cleanup. I'd rather get chewed out by my boss than seat a heatsink because it's damn stressful putting a $400 CPU in a vice. Things don't always stack ideally either so you have to pull one thing out to get at another. Have trouble? Gotta go through the whole build step by step (so help you God if you need to RMA) and all I want to do just use the damn thing.

You know how every sane piece of electronics works? You press the button and create a new user. Done.

SRTtoZ

I like it but of course its not even a real thing yet, only concept. Of course the biggest factor would be price and since its Razer its bound to be overpriced a bit. I actually enjoy Razer products, all of my keyboards and mice have lasted and the green/black design is sexy to me.

Like Linus said, if they could make it to where PCI Express is the backbone, you'd only need to upgrade for successive generations. Abstracting the CPU socket and putting it in the module means you don't have to rip out a motherboard (and everything attached to it) just to update a CPU. Built in water cooling means no loops to worry about.

My concerns would be much the core costs (hopefully not too much since it should just be a high speed interconnect board inside, accommodation for the cooling and structural stuff) and how restrictive it being modular is. Can I do Quad SLI plus a PCI Express SSD? Custom lighting? How crazy can I get and still be married to this basic structure?

As for the "subscription service", that's just essentially a payment plan where they get to recycle your old stuff rather than you reselling it. Makes sense if you don't want a huge upfront cost but don't mind paying more in the long run.

chickdigger802 said:
this kind of module pc is pretty much what i thought steam box will be. Spend 500 on 1 setup, but you can easily swap out parts and what not.

I didn't want to bring in steamboxes to this but, I suppose it is on topic. I too expected this to be in the dialogue when reading about them, I was very very disappointed with the fact that they were not aiming for something like this when they(steambox manufacturers) should be. I am sure there will be something definitive in the future.

The way I see it, I have a 4 year old who uses peripherals all the time and has no problems with any hardware I throw at him. Imagine if we had a generation of kids who grow up with modular consoles and the kind of markets that can open up. Imagine the latest UDK or CryEngine game packed in with the latest gpu(not a new notion of course) but, for the game console masses? I just want to see more ideas like this, and I had thought CES would have more from this.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
while i'd argue modern day pc building is already almost like legos, hopefully these modules provide enough feedback to fix the biggest nag of pc building, when something is broke and you have no clue what (and you have to go through the slow arduous process of taking 1 thing out at a time and testing).

Given Razr's build quality, so not gonna bite.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh it's still pretty easy to do on the motherboard case cables but that's not even the problem.
You can't plug cables in places where they're not supposed to go. You're flat out wrong.
Sometimes video cards are huge and take up too much space, cables aren't always long enough and you do the reach-around or wait 4 days to get new ones.
Cases are now made with modular HDD bays allowing expansion for even the largest GPUs in the most budget-oriented cases.
Ever mess up thermal grease? It's a pain to cleanup. I'd rather get chewed out by my boss than seat a heatsink because it's damn stressful putting a $400 CPU in a vice.
Closed Loop Coolers come with pre-applied TIM, and just have a tiny waterblock attached to the CPU.
Things don't always stack ideally either so you have to pull one thing out to get at another. Have trouble? Gotta go through the whole build step by step (so help you God if you need to RMA) and all I want to do just use the damn thing.
This sounds like building in 2002.
You know how every sane piece of electronics works? You press the button and create a new user. Done.
This is true. But, then you can just go buy an Alienware X51, Digital Storm Bolt, iBuyPower Revolt, or something else like that. People who drive RC cars as a hobby typically build their own, get better performance, and have fun doing it. But, prebuilt RC cars are widely available. Same kind of thing here.
Did you read my post or just quote and reply?

I'm thinking this is the right way to go and honestly, I am a little concerned with what I have been seeing lately on pc gaming consoles. Again, I won't derail into the Steambox OT.
Apologies. The first sentence in your post confused me, as you said PC Consoles. Figured you were talking about Steamboxes or some such thing.

I'd take it as a shell to put other parts into, like say you'd open up a module that was a shell and put a GPU or ram into it. That'd be awesome, IMO.

xJavonta

Banned
Steam Machines should be similar to this. Not exactly like this, but totally similar. Like the Phonebloks concept.

I'll whip something up with my oh so great drawing skills in a bit.

Edit: Actually, most retail PCs should be semi-modular. Need a ram upgrade? Buy some from HP and pop off the old ram. Want a bigger HDD? Swap it out with a replacement from the store (the Xbox 360 does this right). NeoGAF is the minority, just because you could build your own PC or upgrade the parts on your own, doesn't mean you want to or feel comfortable doing it. I've upgraded my friends' memory right in front of their faces and have shown them how easy it is, but every time I get the same response "Yeah, but I still don't feel comfortable doing it. I feel like I'm going to break something"

The mentality that everyone should build their own PC instead of buying a prebuilt is really unreasonable. People place their values on different things and we should respect that.

valeo

This is a great idea for the average person - when someone asks me how to upgrade their PC, I explain it to them and their eyes glaze over then they say 'they'll pay someone to do it'.

That is the average person. Not the neogaffer who has built PC's since they were 10.

Zoc

To me the real innovation here is putting the CPU on a daughtercard. CPUs and GPUs have similar power, space, and cooling requirements, but while I can replace a GPU simply by swapping it out, replacing a CPU usually means completely disassembling the system and buying a new motherboard, memory, and heatsink along with the CPU itself.

I think Apple's latest Mac Pro has also put the CPU on a daughtercard. It's an idea that just works.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
You guys are seriously underestimate how scary and foreign PC part looks to an average Joe.

Not everyone are motivated to learn how a computer work, and memorize all the essential component and tons of new terminology just to save a hundred bucks. It is the same reason why a lot of people don't do their own oil change.

Building a PC might be easy with enough research. However, if something went wrong (faulty parts, loose connection, software problem, bios, etc), even if you are a veteran in PC gaming it will still take you hours of research, buying extra parts to exchange/test. I really can't imagine average Joe doing something like this.

PensOwl

Banned
I don't understand this at all. If you're invested enough to pick and choose components, why not build it yourself?

And if you don't feel like dealing with the hassles of building a pc and are willing to pay extra money, why not buy a prebuilt?

This seems to be in some weird halfway where you don't get to fully control what goes in your computer but you do get the privilege of paying hand over fist for a pc.

valeo

I don't understand this at all. If you're invested enough to pick and choose components, why not build it yourself?

And if you don't feel like dealing with the hassles of building a pc and are willing to pay extra money, why not buy a prebuilt?

This seems to be in some weird halfway where you don't get to fully control what goes in your computer but you do get the privilege of paying hand over fist for a pc.

What about

1. People who are too lazy to open up the pc and take things out every time they upgrade (this includes me and lots of others, i'd imagine)

2. People who want to buy a pre-built with potential for an easy upgrade in the future

Laieon

This seems really, really cool even if PCs are already pretty easy to build. Reminds me of that cellphone concept that was going around a few months ago.

I know quite a few people who would be interested in this, but aren't interested in building their own computer simply because they're worried about messing up an expensive motherboard or psu the first time around, or even just having to troubleshoot it should something go wrong, which is understandable.

I'm assuming that this will be incredibly expensive for the average person at first, but if it takes off it'll slowly lower in price and maybe the concept will be adopted by competing companies, who knows.

Top Bottom