• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Razer's Project Christine: modular PC that anyone can upgrade.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
more photos:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

I actually think that this looks really fucking good, but then again I love modular looking designs.

Zaptruder

Banned
I guess my point is if this average consumer is someone interested and knowledgeable enough to upgrade their computer rather than treating it as an appliance, they're someone who wouldn't mind popping open their computer for a few seconds.

As elegant as this system is, upgrading a pc will never be as easy as popping in an sd card. With this system you'll still have to uninstall and install drivers, ensure your power supply is good enough, all that gritty stuff. Project Christine isn't going to be enough for your scared average consumer over here

Rabble rabble rabble, rouse rouse rouse.

Seriously though, as a PC builder for a couple decades... I'm more than happy to trade up to this form factor for a 10-15% premium on parts.

Odrion

Banned
It's incredibly simple. You can build an entire PC in <15 minutes.

OT: Looks alright, sounds interesting.
It's never been simpler. It takes 10 minutes to build up a PC from scratch now, it's that easy. It's impossible to make a mistake unless you do it on purpose. Hell even jumpers now come with a prebuilt connector to connect everything easily with some cases.
What exactly did you have to go through the last time you replaced a GPU or put in new RAM?
It's simpler than it use to be. But it's still opening up a device and rummaging through parts, you still need a screw driver and will probably want to wear a static wristband. It's pretty clunky for this day and age and from my experience it's a barrier for a lot of people. A computer where you can just plug and play new parts would be amazing.

Imagine a Steambox with this sort of technology.

wildfire

Banned
I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around this concept as a person who has built a half dozen computers for personal and family use. Does that tower house a proprietary motherboard with the inserts for parts running the length of it, or is it using some sort of extension cables for the HDDs, SSDs, optical drives, etc etc and the motherboard is simply near the top for the CPU, RAM, and GPUs? Also there is pretty much no way this is not going to be expensive, even if it uses low priced computer parts.

The modular units which contain the hardware components can easily be attached to the PCI-Express connector hubs which are interconnected with the highly sophisticated motherboard that runs in the enclosure&#8217;s spine.

Razer Project Christine Features:

Fully modular design for perpetual, cable-less customization
PCI-Express architecture
Open operating system platform
Factory overclocked components
Self-contained modules with active liquid cooling and noise cancelation
Quad SLI capable
SSD + RAID 5 HDD Array
LED touchscreen control display

http://wccftech.com/razer-project-c...ncept-mineral-oil-cooling-plug-play-hardware/

I think the most attractive part of something like this for someone like me is that there will probably be clearer feedback as to what parts give you what performance. I would love to build a gaming PC, but building one seems terrifying, and actually picking parts that work together and that provide performance that I want seems extremely complicated.

I'm not saying I'll buy one of these, but I see the market they're going for.

Doikor

The modular units which contain the hardware components can easily be attached to the PCI-Express connector hubs which are interconnected with the highly sophisticated motherboard that runs in the enclosure&#8217;s spine.

So when the socket changes (like it does on almost every new CPU generation) you have to buy the spine part again? I hope that the spine does't cost that much more the a new motherboard would.

edit: Though CPUs haven't gotten much more faster over the last few years. My overlocked i7 2600K is pretty much as fast as a new haswell one when overlocked. Mainly the new ones just run cooler/eat less power. So that might not be that big of a problem.

wildfire

Banned
So when the socket changes (like it does on almost every new CPU generation) you have to buy the spine part again?

No. The CPU+Ram are in module together based on this concept. Thus the socket is a module and chipset just a module like everything else.

Dolken

Neo Member
I think it looks fine and after seeing this (sadly not in person) I'm hoping that modular designs become the norm from here on. Just make sure there are different sizes available.

glaurung

Excellent concept, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

To be honest, most of Razer's non-mouse designs are awful.

Another thought that ran across my head... I own two Razer products, to computer mouses to be precise (
yes the plural of computer mouse can be mouses
), and in the past I owned a Habu which was a collaborative product with Microsoft.

Those three products I own or have owned have one thing in common: they're innovative and they don't work very well. I've had Logitech mouses that I wish would die just because they are so worn out, but they never do, I still have some Microsoft Intelimouse Explorers lying somewhere around that never stopped working but Razer's products, in my experience have been anything but reliable.

I had to return the Habu 3 times, I'm on my second Razer Mamba and my Naga doesn't work half of the time, I have to fiddle around with reinstalling drivers or firmware whenever I want to use it.

When they work, Razer's products are awesome. They're fast, precise light and they have convenient features that make resuming or continuing to play or use your peripheral very easy. But when they don't, they can lead to an extremely upsetting experience.

If the company who makes a peripheral I use can barely get functional drivers for them when a new Operating System comes out, do I really want to build my next computer from proprietary parts sold and manufactured by them?

sgjackson

The idea is neat but I'm not a fan of the execution. For this to work I think a bunch of different hardware manufacturers have to get on board. Also the case is ugly, but I'm a black box kinda guy.

Related: It's stupid that there's not a standard for case power/reset/LED cables. That should be one cable.

ViciousDS

Banned
This thing is going to be sssooo overpriced just because its Razer. I remember seeing people looking at there tablet and was like omg so want, and it plays Crysis? For the same price you could have built an uber PC or bought a hell of a gaming laptop.

This thing just by design looks expensive, and as for being hard to build computers the only pain in the ass part is actually having to grab the manual during case cables. stupid 1pin power, reset, and led cords.

Other than the case cables the last unit I built for a customer took roughly 30 minutes to put together, they are only getting easier to build with companies making towers so efficient.

EDIT: the only thing I like about it is that due to its structure there will be a carrying bag and this thing will be really nice to carry to your buddies house, because I hate lugging around my giant storm trooper tower its like 60 pounds with all the components in it and so damn big! It's hard to properly fit the damn thing in my car.

PaulloDEC

It'd be a dream come true for me if something like this became the standard - PC design is such an ungodly mess right now that I can't imagine it really getting any worse.

Use space efficiently, cool in a way that doesn't involve half a dozen fans and allow components to be swapped without the need for a toolkit and an instruction manual.

And for everyone complaining about the design on the Razer prototype, have you ever seen one of these clocks?

All you'd need to sort the Razer design is a cover to slip over the top, just like the clock has. Presumably you'd want it in black aluminium or something (as opposed to glass), but you get the idea.

if the quality of this pc will be as good as the razer onza, customers will be lucky if them run for a week before first parts fall apart :X

It's simpler than it use to be. But it's still opening up a device and rummaging through parts, you still need a screw driver and will probably want to wear a static wristband. It's pretty clunky for this day and age and from my experience it's a barrier for a lot of people. A computer where you can just plug and play new parts would be amazing.

Imagine a Steambox with this sort of technology.

opening up a case is a big deal now? it's no harder than taking the lid off your toilet
do you pee on the floor because you don't want to lift the lid on the seat, it's just too confusing?

what rummaging do you do inside that case exactly? please tell? you act like it's a box of loose lego blocks or puzzle pieces that you have to dig through to find the one you want :p

I've never met anyone at any computer store who uses an antistatic band, what an inane argument to begin with even if you had to use one

You wouldn't be able to 'plug and play' random parts anyhow, no more than with a regular pc, you'd still need to mind compatibility between cpu, mobo and ram
I feel like those who act like this is something special have never built a pc and have no idea what it means and are just using their imagination

Personally I quite like the idea and look of it. I have been building my own PC since the original Pentium days (first PC was a 75mhz). I don't subscribe to the view that building a PC is "hard". Hell I can't wire a plug correctly but I have no problem building a PC. However anything that makes things easier is not to be dismissed.

Now having said that, my first thought was "oh cool" but my second thought was "Jesus Christ how much is that going to cost". Then I saw it was by Razer and my third thought was "oh wonder how long it will take to fall apart".

TL;DR Nice idea, hella expensive, Razer build quality would make it a joke.

vazel

Banned
This is amazing. I upgrade my PC piecemeal since it's cheaper for me that way and taking the PC case out from under my desk to do the upgrades is annoying.

Hopefully this becomes a standard the industry adopts that way it becomes economical. Otherwise I can imagine each module costing a hefty premium.

I like the concept, a modular PC that is easier to build than current modular PCs (which require a fair bit of fiddling about with cables and opening the case), but I wonder what this might do to latency - as it seems the motherboard would no longer be in direct contact to the other components.

Tenck

I'd get behind this if they announced it in 4 months. I'm itching to get that new PC, so either I build it or try this out. Your move Razer.

MaxiLive

This looks great and is seemingly fantastic! I expect it to be like $500+ for just the base without any components so expect it to be like $1500-2000 minimum for a reasonable spec PC and more like$ 2000-3000 for anything classed as super high end ($1200 standard gaming PC).

Most of us PC/gaming peeps who builds PCs skimp on the case, PSU and cooling to save our pennies and get a decent spec rig for $800-1500. But considering the base and modules are the most bespoke part of this device I'm just that is going to add at least an additional $30-50 onto each component if not maybe even a little more.

I would love to have these at work though as I'm forever having to swap GPUs, HDDs and memory modules to get different PCs up to specs at different times during the development phase. Also when it comes to bug testing these would be amazing but again very expensive!

Alienous

So, how does this really differ from upgrading a pre-built PC? For the average gamer?

Motherboard compatibility is the only real issue that I've encountered. And I imagine it would be the same for Project Christine.

Adding/swapping a processor, graphics card or RAM really isn't difficult. I don't see how a modular design could simplify it much further, honestly. The difference, however, would be less competition and therefore higher prices.

I tend to upgrade my computer sparingly, and so I can cope with the shame of watching a 5 minute tutorial once every three months. I don't really need to easily swap computer parts, perhaps other than the hard drive.

Maybe I just don't get it. The real 'issues' with PC gaming that complicate it compared to consoles isn't upgrading a system. It's things like software compatibility, not having the specs to play a game, driver upgrading. I don't see how this would rectify any of that. I think the Steam Machine concept gets closer to the idea of an 'everyman' gaming PC.

Protocol7

This is absolutly... wow!
It's like the Thermaltake Level 10 but to a higher level, way higher!
Even though I love to build my PCs, this for me is evolution, this... this would be so freaking great.
But then again lots of question, what will you be able to change, what is proprietary?

I find the design totally hot, could people explain why they don't like it? How can you not like it compared to the majority of actual cases that are all... in the end just cubes and rectangular cuboids? I have one too, don't take this the wrong way, but compared to this... at least this is trying something new.

ViciousDS

Banned
This is absolutly... wow!
It's like the Thermaltake Level 10 but to a higher level, way higher!
Even though I love to build my PCs, this for me is evolution, this... this would be so freaking great.
But then again lots of question, what will you be able to change, what is proprietary?

I find the design totally hot, could people explain why they don't like it? How can you not like it compared to the majority of actual cases that are all... in the end just cubes and rectangular cuboids? I have one too, don't take this the wrong way, but compared to this... at least this is trying something new.

Price, Razer is notorious for overpricing there products to living hell.....look at there laptops and compare them to another gaming laptop with the same specs.....its almost a $1000+ difference.

Until I see pricing the only thing I hate right now is that its Razer....that's about it lol

Odrion

Banned
opening up a case is a big deal now? it's no harder than taking the lid off your toilet
do you pee on the floor because you don't want to lift the lid on the seat, it's just too confusing?

what rummaging do you do inside that case exactly? please tell? you act like it's a box of loose lego blocks or puzzle pieces that you have to dig through to find the one you want :p

I've never met anyone at any computer store who uses an antistatic band, what an inane argument to begin with even if you had to use one

You wouldn't be able to 'plug and play' random parts anyhow, no more than with a regular pc, you'd still need to mind compatibility between cpu, mobo and ram
I feel like those who act like this is something special have never built a pc and have no idea what it means and are just using their imagination
1.) What kind of monster screws his toilet seat down? (But in all seriousness, replacing parts isn't as simple as this and you know it.)

2.) Rummage: To search thoroughly by handling, turning over, or disarranging the contents of. I think that accurately fits the process of opening up and looking through your computer.

3.) If you are handling expensive parts, you should wear a static wristband. I don't care what a computer store employee does, as from my experience from them they can't spot a power malfunction in a computer part if they tried, and if they ever do like hell are they going to take responsibility. They're not being safe not because it doesn't matter, it's because they don't care. I care. You should care.

4.) You can solve part compatibility with simple labeling and use of iconography. This is like saying iPhones are too complicated because some use a different cable now or the iPhone 4 case won't fit with the 5.

5.) I've built four computers, and I think it's crazy that someone would defend that it's simple enough and there shouldn't be a simpler, more consumer friendly way. Seriously, you think hooking up your PSU to your motherboard is easy? Or replacing a CPU? Hell, one of my hard drives is sitting on the bottom of my case because it needed a tray and ugh. And man, for something that seems simple, ram is a bitch to shove in. GPUs are the easiest things to handle and even then you need a screw driver. But to go back to your quote:
THIS IS WHY THIS SHOULD BE IMPORTANT. The current state of replacing computer parts, even just the GPU, is a barrier that many people would just refuse to do because once they hear "You need to open up your computer and with a tool..." They immediately think of car maintenance and shoot down the idea. This a problem worth tackling, and I'm surprised why anyone would be against it.

mkenyon

Banned
Liquid cooling for GPUs is not cheap at all or trivial.

Sure the chipset and CPU are closely intertwined but the idea here is to turn those components into a daughterboard instead of the main one. The only thing that is a sticking point is the RAM also being part of the CPU modular piece so replacing the whole thing is very expensive but it's understandably necessary to be together for performance reasons.

I suspect people have been wary of using multiple slots because they don't want to tinker which justifies the existence of this project. Anyone who doesn't mind tinkering would most likely want to at least add in a second gaming gpu or throw in a professional sound/gpu card for work purposes. In the future people will want to leverage the speed and bandwidth advantages of PCIE ssds once the sata standard can't keep serving their desires.
http://store.nzxt.com/NZXT-KRAKEN-G10-GPU-BRACKET-p/rl-krg10.htm

Helmholtz

Great idea. If this was somehow affordable it would be an amazing thing for PC gaming. This is the sort of thing I would have wanted out of the Steam Box.

The stores that you frequent are not very good stores then.

ANY electronic equipment should be handled to the ESD regulations in your country.

At minimum anti static bands and a pressurised dust free environment.

I won't even go into clothing, footwear, packaging and storage.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The stores that you frequent are not very good stores then.

ANY electronic equipment should be handled to the ESD regulations in your country.

At minimum anti static bands and a pressurised dust free environment.

I won't even go into clothing, footwear, packaging and storage.

lol
Wow... lol.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Why the hell are people complaining about price? It's a prototype, with incredibly futuristic features. Of course it will be expensive.

But if it's a reasonable success it might lead to a whole new way to look at pc components, and in the long run the price will go down as other competitors join the fold.

I'm guessing the producers of the actual cpus, gpus and motherboards would swallow this whole, as it would mean more people being able to upgrade the PC, instead of just buying new pre built ones.

Dell, He and other such companies might not be as happy though.

Dekopin

Neo Member
Why the hell are people complaining about price?

Probably because this looks to be quite proprietary right now. And it's Razer one of the companies who slap a 'gaming' label on things to charge more.

It does look like an interesting idea but until further details come out like Razer saying they won't patent the basic components and instead licence it for free use, I'll keep my normal PC thanks.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Yeah. I agree, you could basically say that as long as it's a razer product only, it will not catch on. But I both hope and believe the idea will spread.

Top Bottom