• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 Title Update 1.05 Notes (PS4 / Xbox One)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Today Rockstar released a new patch (v1.05) for the Online mode.

Patch comes in at 832MB.

Red Dead Online Beta General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One

• General improvements to fix game stability, save data and to address exploits.

Source: Rockstar Support

-----

Today Rockstar released a new patch (v1.04) to address some issues to both the Story and Online modes.

Patch comes in at 1.4GB.

RDR2 Story Mode General / Miscellaneous – PS4, Xbox One

• Fixed an issue where the player could become stuck at 90% when loading an autosave made immediately after the mission ‘Country Pursuits’, if it was the only open mission
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on loading screen when trying to restart game after completing the mission ‘County Pursuits’
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at 90% when loading a save in Chapter 2, if they had set up camp near Horseshoe Overlook after completing ‘The First Shall Be Last’
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at 90% when loading after loading an autosave or manual save
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose access to all weapons and equipment in their weapon wheel after completing a mission replay in Guarma

• General stability improvements
  • Fixed the issue where players removing an injured horse from the stables without healing it would result in the Scrawny Nag appearing when whistling for their horse
  • Fixed an issue where players could not exit the house in the Mission ‘Love and Honor’
  • Fixed an issue where players would be unable to load beyond 90% in the Red Dead Online beta unless they entered Story mode first
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck at a black screen after a Posse leader quit the lobby in the mission ‘Love and Honor’
  • Fixed an issue where players could crash to the Xbox Home screen when resuming from a suspended state after connecting to Xbox Live services
  • Fixed an issue where players could be kicked from Rockstar game services with error 0x99395004 after completing part 2 of the mission ‘Honor Among Horse Thieves’

Source: Rockstar Support

Last edited:

DJTaurusGR

Neo Member
Rdr2 is not written on HDR and does not need a fix. It’s just a marketing use of HDR. Just turn hdr off from rdr2 settings and enjoy the best and most photo realistic lightings/effects you ve ever experienced on any other game. Because rockstar has the best team of game artists.

Texas Pride

Banned
Meanwhile my fishing worms are still glitched out unable to use. Crickets are supposed to come in a tin of 5 but you end up with 1 for 50¢. Fishing lures don't unlock until 30's meaning these bugs (pun intended) continue to fucking annoy me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rdr2 is not written on HDR and does not need a fix. It’s just a marketing use of HDR. Just turn hdr off from rdr2 settings and enjoy the best and most photo realistic lightings/effects you ve ever experienced on any other game. Because rockstar has the best team of game artists.

No there's a different issue where the PS4 Pro version was programmed to the wrong dimensions. Something like 1200x2180 or something. I was wondering if that was fixed.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
No there's a different issue where the PS4 Pro version was programmed to the wrong dimensions. Something like 1200x2180 or something. I was wondering if that was fixed.

It's 1920x2160 CB. They can give some other options to improve IQ

1920x2160 is 4.147200 pixels, Rockstar had other options with same performance budget:

2560x1440 - (3.686400 pixels) they would get better perf and less artifacts on screen

2715x1527 - (4.145805) is the resolution I would use, render it raw (no cb) with good upscaling and 4K hud. This option retains same performance, has correct aspect ratio of pixels and no cb artifacts.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I have to say it... the patches for this game, and the speed at which they are coming, is dreadful.

This is one of the biggest entertainment launches of the year, if not ever, and has some massive issues. Yet they remain silent. That’s... that’s just awful?

I mean I expected as much. GTAV was milked to death in MP so much that they ditched anything SP related and haven’t even got the money to make a Pro/X patch. So to see them do so little when smaller teams are releasing huge change logs in quicker time doesn’t surprise me.

But the after care they are giving the game is getting them slammed on a LOT of sites. It’s such a shame to see.

Armorian

Banned
That's right! Has this been done yet? Or anything close to it? I refuse to play this game until they fix this blurry issue.

No, maybe they just don't give a shit TBH. TAA situation on consoles is strange, developers are blurring IQ to horrendous (FFXV) levels sometimes and leave it like that when they could just give OPTION to turn sharpening filter on. On PC you could just apply lumasharpen via Reshade and TAA games become bearable (WD2 even has menu sharpening) - same goes for CA: I wonder what texture artist think when the textures they worked for hours are smeared up by agressive AA, CA (worst shit ever created) and/or piss filters.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
For such a huge game, RDR2 is remarkably polished but I have seen behind the curtain and experienced some weird glitches here and there.

The one that seems to come up the most is the “Shop owners acting like you just robbed them” when you’ve got maximum honor and have never robbed Them. This happens with various characters all over the world. Just hostility for no reason, like the A.I. gone haywire.

Fbh

So the Pro version still looks as blurry as the hase Ps4?

I was hoping that not being able to afford it at launch would at least mean that that part would be improved by the time I play it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So the Pro version still looks as blurry as the hase Ps4?

I was hoping that not being able to afford it at launch would at least mean that that part would be improved by the time I play it

Base PS4 does not look blurry. It is native 1080p at all times.

They did mention they were looking into it due to the weird resolution choice on the Pro, and I would assume that takes time, especially since they probably gave a lot of time off after the game shipped, and going into the holidays. Things will hopefully pick up at a faster pace after the turn of the year.

Fbh

They did mention they were looking into it due to the weird resolution choice on the Pro, and I would assume that takes time, especially since they probably gave a lot of time off after the game shipped, and going into the holidays. Things will hopefully pick up at a faster pace after the turn of the year.

Yeah I guess blurry was the wrong choice of words.
It's just that from the comparison I saw the Pro didn't look any sharper despite supposedly running at a much higher resolution.

The Xbox 1 X looks extremely sharp and I was expecting the Pro version to fall somewhere in the middle but in some shots it actually looked blurrier than the base PS4.

Hopefully you are right and they fix it at some point.

There is no patch that is going to make 1920x2160 look like anything other than the comparatively blurry picture you get now.

I think some of us hoped they instead opted for a native 1440p resolution or similar solution, is something that has been adjusted in patches a couple times previously

YayNJ

Banned
For such a huge game, RDR2 is remarkably polished but I have seen behind the curtain and experienced some weird glitches here and there.

The one that seems to come up the most is the “Shop owners acting like you just robbed them” when you’ve got maximum honor and have never robbed Them. This happens with various characters all over the world. Just hostility for no reason, like the A.I. gone haywire.

I experianced that for the first time yesterday. I was at the fence / wagon guy near valentine for the first time in a while, and he kept warning me and saying how dare I show my face again after what I'd done to him.. Wtf?!

mckmas8808

This is so freaking weird when you consider that the game's promotions was totally bought by Sony to advertise. You'd think they'd care about the PS4 Pro to make the game look as good as possible. To go out of your way to choose a resolution that nobody else on planet Earth would do, just seems awful and stupid.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wonder if rdr2 gets 60.fps on xbox one x in 1080p ofc.
With freesync support as it is possible

vpance

Knew they wouldn't fix any of the graphical stuff. Will wait for the definitive remastered version. Too much backlog anyways.

nowhat

There is no patch that is going to make 1920x2160 look like anything other than the comparatively blurry picture you get now.
HZD and GOW would like a word, both are rendering at 1920x2160 and using checkerboarding to reach a 4K output. And look markedly sharper. Checkerboarding is just a general name for the technique, the devil as always is in the details.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
HZD and GOW would like a word, both are rendering at 1920x2160 and using checkerboarding to reach a 4K output. And look markedly sharper. Checkerboarding is just a general name for the technique, the devil as always is in the details.

Do you have links for this? I can't seem to find what the resolution is for GoW/HZD other than it saying "checkerboard technique" even on Eurogamer.

I am pretty sure both those games use a different method than RDR2.

nowhat

Do you have links for this? I can't seem to find what the resolution is for GoW/HZD other than it saying "checkerboard technique" even on Eurogamer.

I am pretty sure both those games use a different method than RDR2.
Check out the DF analysis on those*), both say the end result is 2160c (i.e. checkerboarded 4K - checkerboarding in and of itself doesn't mean any target resolution, it's just a reconstruction technique, for example ME:A is 1800c on a Pro).

The way checkerboarding works is that you'll end up rendering all of the vertical pixels and half of the horizontal pixels, then reconstruct the image from there. Consider a display resolution of any arbitrary size. Now divide it into black and white tiles in a checkerboard pattern (it doesn't matter if the tiles are 1x1 pixels, 2x2 pixels, 4x4 pixels, whatnot, as long as it divides evenly for both axis). If you render either colour of tiles, you'll end up rendering all of the vertical axis and half of the horizontal axis. A contrieved example:

Code:
Pass 1   Pass 2
xx|oo    oo|xx
oo|xx    xx|oo
xx|oo    oo|xx
oo|xx    xx|oo
Think "xx" as the pixels being rendered, and "oo" as the pixels reconstructed. As you can see, all of the vertical resolution and half of the horizontal resolution is rendered in any given pass. Barring any upscaling techniques (which DF would surely mention), to say a game is rendering at $RESOLUTION checkerboarded means that there are $RESOLUTION_Y and $RESOLUTION_X/2 pixels rendered in every pass. But that reconstruction, that's the tricky bit, which is why the results vary so much.

(having said that, given how blurry the results are in RDR2, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's just rendering a regular image at 1920x2160 and stretching the result horizontally to 2160p)

*) Edit: here for example is the DF analysis on GOW - at some point they actually compare native 4K and checkerboarded 4K (using Rise of the Tomb Rider on One X)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Check out the DF analysis on those*), both say the end result is 2160c (i.e. checkerboarded 4K - checkerboarding in and of itself doesn't mean any target resolution, it's just a reconstruction technique, for example ME:A is 1800c on a Pro).

The way checkerboarding works is that you'll end up rendering all of the vertical pixels and half of the horizontal pixels, then reconstruct the image from there. Consider a display resolution of any arbitrary size. Now divide it into black and white tiles in a checkerboard pattern (it doesn't matter if the tiles are 1x1 pixels, 2x2 pixels, 4x4 pixels, whatnot, as long as it divides evenly for both axis). If you render either colour of tiles, you'll end up rendering all of the vertical axis and half of the horizontal axis. A contrieved example:

Code:
Pass 1   Pass 2
xx|oo    oo|xx
oo|xx    xx|oo
xx|oo    oo|xx
oo|xx    xx|oo
Think "xx" as the pixels being rendered, and "oo" as the pixels reconstructed. As you can see, all of the vertical resolution and half of the horizontal resolution is rendered in any given pass. Barring any upscaling techniques (which DF would surely mention), to say a game is rendering at $RESOLUTION checkerboarded means that there are $RESOLUTION_Y and $RESOLUTION_X/2 pixels rendered in every pass. But that reconstruction, that's the tricky bit, which is why the results vary so much.

(having said that, given how blurry the results are in RDR2, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's just rendering a regular image at 1920x2160 and stretching the result horizontally to 2160p)

*) Edit: here for example is the DF analysis on GOW - at some point they actually compare native 4K and checkerboarded 4K (using Rise of the Tomb Rider on One X)

I know how it works, but different methods provide different results. Horizon is nice and sharp (basically the standard all should aspire to with that method), as is GoW and a couple of other games where one is hard pressed to tell the difference between native and CB, but the method RDR2 adopted seems to be more where the 2160 side is native, but the 1920 image they need to "predict" causes the issue, especially extra blur when moving the camera left and right which makes sense since it is the horizontal reconstruction. They used the same method for the PS4 port of LA Noire I believe.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I know how it works, but different methods provide different results. Horizon is nice and sharp (basically the standard all should aspire to with that method), as is GoW and a couple of other games where one is hard pressed to tell the difference between native and CB, but the method RDR2 adopted seems to be more where the 2160 side is native, but the 1920 image they need to "predict" causes the issue, especially extra blur when moving the camera left and right which makes sense since it is the horizontal reconstruction. They used the same method for the PS4 port of LA Noire I believe.

Is there no way to tell RDR2 to just run as a 1080p games on the Pro as if it's a OG PS4?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there no way to tell RDR2 to just run as a 1080p games on the Pro as if it's a OG PS4?

From what I gather you can do this, yes (and Rockstar Support was recommending this ironically). By doing so it will be locked 30FPS as well with no dips.

So if they were recommending players who submitted tickets to them, to do that, then they are aware there is an issue.

https://www.rdr2.org/news/rockstar-acknowledges-rdr2-blurring-issue-on-ps4-pro/

https://www.rdr2.org/forums/topic/1...ry-ps4-pro/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-12139

image.png.0614bad9a212ef94e75d315b3f401361.png

Last edited:

nowhat

I know how it works, but different methods provide different results.
Yes, hence "the devil is in the details". The reconstruction is where the magic happens (or not, as is the case with RDR2). But technically HZD, GOW and RDR2 render natively at 1920x2160 pixels, so the base resolution for reconstruction is not what's at fault here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, hence "the devil is in the details". The reconstruction is where the magic happens (or not, as is the case with RDR2). But technically HZD, GOW and RDR2 render natively at 1920x2160 pixels, so the base resolution for reconstruction is not what's at fault here.

Are you sure that is the native for them two? I remember people though they were 1800c upscaled to 2160p, but gain, do we have anything from DF (or developers) where they say they is the native?

nowhat

Are you sure that is the native for them two? I remember people though they were 1800c upscaled to 2160p, but gain, do we have anything from DF (or developers) where they say they is the native?
This is "paging Dr. D dark10x " material - I'm sure I've seen 1920x2160 mentioned on several occasions, but my Google-fu fails me at the moment and I'm not bored enough to really start digging. However, if the end result has been something other than 2160c (like with ME:A or GT Sport at 1800c) it has been noted as such in DF analysis.

mckmas8808

From what I gather you can do this, yes (and Rockstar Support was recommending this ironically). By doing so it will be locked 30FPS as well with no dips.

So if they were recommending players who submitted tickets to them, to do that, then they are aware there is an issue.

https://www.rdr2.org/news/rockstar-acknowledges-rdr2-blurring-issue-on-ps4-pro/

https://www.rdr2.org/forums/topic/1...ry-ps4-pro/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-12139

image.png.0614bad9a212ef94e75d315b3f401361.png

Thanks for this, but I'm not seeing how to force RDR2 on my PRO to play in non-Vaseline mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes, God of War and Horizon are rendering 1920x2160 pixels in a checkerboard arrangement. Some games do 1800cp but not these two. Horizon is a tad soft due to the AA solution used in conjunction (to achieve a cleaner, smoother look). God of War is pretty sharp but it has checkerboard break-up at points.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, God of War and Horizon are rendering 1920x2160 pixels in a checkerboard arrangement. Some games do 1800cp but not these two. Horizon is a tad soft due to the AA solution used in conjunction (to achieve a cleaner, smoother look). God of War is pretty sharp but it has checkerboard break-up at points.

Thanks for the confirmation. So what do you think the hang-up is with RDR2, where it presents a much softer image in comparison to those other two?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks for the confirmation. So what do you think the hang-up is with RDR2, where it presents a much softer image in comparison to those other two?
There are so many ways to resolve the checkerboard + variation in how other elements are rendered. Their 'temporal everything' approach just doesn't work well with CBR.

nowhat

Horizon is a tad soft due to the AA solution used in conjunction (to achieve a cleaner, smoother look). God of War is pretty sharp but it has checkerboard break-up at points.
This I've been meaning to ask - to my untrained eyes, HZD still has the best CB implementation (GoW takes the HDR crown though). But there's one issue, that is, during cutscenes where there are individual strands of hair against a heavily out-of-focus background, they seem to exhibit visible artifacts.

But I've only played the game on a Pro/4K screen, using the high-res mode - from what I can tell from screenshots of the game from the web (captured on a base model), the artifacts seem to be present there too. So is that just a "feature" of Decima, or a negative side-effect of checkerboarding?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Today Rockstar released a new patch (v1.05) for the Online mode.

Patch comes in at 832MB.

• General improvements to fix game stability, save data and to address exploits.

Top Bottom