• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 PSVR Impressions

Aske

You and me both friend, it's so sad because the game is so damn good in vr.

I can do about 30 mins; longer if I pound some ginger anti-nauseants, which once let me play until I wanted to stop with no sickness. It's frustrating because I had no issues at all with the demo. Going to buy some more hardcore travel sickness pills which should do the trick, but I hope my VR legs kick in soon. I refuse to play with the immersion breaking 30° turns, especially after enjoying smooth movement with no problems in the demo; and there's no way I'm going to not play this game in VR.

We'll see how long it takes for my body to adjust. Played at least once a day since I got the game. It's slow going, but a true testament to the awesomeness of VR.

Grinchy

Banned
I can do about 30 mins; longer if I pound some ginger anti-nauseants, which once let me play until I wanted to stop with no sickness. It's frustrating because I had no issues at all with the demo. Going to buy some more hardcore travel sickness pills which should do the trick, but I hope my VR legs kick in soon. I refuse to play with the immersion breaking 30° turns, especially after enjoying smooth movement with no problems in the demo; and there's no way I'm going to not play this game in VR.

We'll see how long it takes for my body to adjust. Played at least once a day since I got the game. It's slow going, but a true testament to the awesomeness of VR.

Don't give up hope. My brother went from almost throwing up the first day, to getting sick every day for the next 3 or 4 days, to being able to play for hours without feeling a thing. He was doing like 20-30 minutes at a time tops and then it just suddenly stopped being an issue one day.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

30 degree turns is what fixed it for me. I played 4 hour straight sessions with zero sickness. With smooth turning on I got sick in about 10 mins.

Aske

Don't give up hope. My brother went from almost throwing up the first day, to getting sick every day for the next 3 or 4 days, to being able to play for hours without feeling a thing. He was doing like 20-30 minutes at a time tops and then it just suddenly stopped being an issue one day.

That's what I'm hoping happens. Seems like I get less nauseous if I play with an empty stomach too.

30 degree turns is what fixed it for me. I played 4 hour straight sessions with zero sickness. With smooth turning on I got sick in about 10 mins.

If worst comes to worst I'm very glad to know I can screw around with those settings, but I tried 30° turns the tutorial and it just didn't compare to moving around with smooth turning in terms of immersion.

Does anyone else feel somewhat traumatised by injuries and deaths in this game? I love that I feel compelled to avoid injury specifically because dying feels bad. I didn't want to protect Lara, but I totally want to protect Methan!

Pressing the right analog stick forward recenters/reorients the camera direction so drift is not a big issue.

I found that worked very poorly for me - about a quarter of the time, it would "re-center" in the wrong direction, which is jarring.

It got me to try smooth turning, and it turns out I'm fine with that now. Turning in VR made me queasy when I first tried it. Guess I have my full VR legs now.

I just went searching for RE7 on my lunch break since getting VR yesterday, a Best Buy and Target didn't have it. Dang.

Guess I will do digital then.

Been reading this thread and it sounds amazing - my PSVR preorder shipped yesterday (ordered a couple of days after the game came out but they didn't get new stock till yesterday) so will probably be here by this time next week.
Still need to buy the camera separately for another $89 AUD, but oh well...

If anyone in Australia is trying to get PSVR or intends to soon, Gamesmen now have it in stock on their site and they have a pretty good reputation. I bought my Wii U through them a couple of years ago and it was a good, hassle-free experience.
Ships from NSW hence it taking a while to get to me in WA though. Pretty sure JB Hi Fi are supposed to have new stock in a few days as well.

I really have no idea how I'm going to fare with actually remaining in VR for more than a few seconds at a time haha.
PT was too much for me at times just playing on a regular TV screen, and while I still think that game is a lot scarier than RE7 when played on a TV, I have to guess that playing RE7 in VR will be beyond any other gaming experience I've had in terms of fear factor.

I'm going to play a few other games (probably just the included demos) before I attempt RE7, plus want to get used to the whole VR thing before I start a playthrough.
On my 3rd regular playthrough already (first time doing Madhouse Mode) and pleasantly surprised at how much the game remixes encounters and item placement etc.
Definitely gonna play on normal in VR though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Been reading this thread and it sounds amazing - my PSVR preorder shipped yesterday (ordered a couple of days after the game came out but they didn't get new stock till yesterday) so will probably be here by this time next week.
Still need to buy the camera separately for another $89 AUD, but oh well...

If anyone in Australia is trying to get PSVR or intends to soon, Gamesmen now have it in stock on their site and they have a pretty good reputation. I bought my Wii U through them a couple of years ago and it was a good, hassle-free experience.
Ships from NSW hence it taking a while to get to me in WA though. Pretty sure JB Hi Fi are supposed to have new stock in a few days as well.

I really have no idea how I'm going to fare with actually remaining in VR for more than a few seconds at a time haha.
PT was too much for me at times just playing on a regular TV screen, and while I still think that game is a lot scarier than RE7 when played on a TV, I have to guess that playing RE7 in VR will be beyond any other gaming experience I've had in terms of fear factor.

I'm going to play a few other games (probably just the included demos) before I attempt RE7, plus want to get used to the whole VR thing before I start a playthrough.
On my 3rd regular playthrough already (first time doing Madhouse Mode) and pleasantly surprised at how much the game remixes encounters and item placement etc.
Definitely gonna play on normal in VR though.

Oh so you've done 3 runs before? Then the impact won't be as strong (since you know what's coming). It will still be amazing though.

I'm doing a collectibles run now, which is my first time playing in regular mode. It's almost like I'm watching someone else play, that's how big of an immersion difference it is. Only positive is that it looks a lot better. But VR made this game for me, they really nailed it.

Jiffster

Neo Member
Started in VR and it really is amazing. However, a combination of lack of manliness, enhanced terror & cat-related bowel evacuations prevented me from continuing.

Now I've finished it in 2D I totally plan to go back and do the whole thing in VR (though I'll lovk the cat out of the room as it seems to be fond of jumping on me when I'm in VR - dick move, kitty-cat!)

JackEtc

Any good playthroughs from people on twitch or youtube playing this is PSVR? I'm so interested but know I wouldn't be able to handle doing it myself in VR.

Currently watching Mike Drucker's previous streams, lmao

ZeroCDR

Finally finished this last night, just wow. Gonna be hard to adjust to the non-VR run, it looks and plays so well, but it's mentally exhausting and I need a break.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Any good playthroughs from people on twitch or youtube playing this is PSVR? I'm so interested but know I wouldn't be able to handle doing it myself in VR.

I was also looking for this now that I've beaten it, and stumbled on this one His girly screams make me crack up, love it. This was the first one I checked out, so there are probably others but I may watch some more of his playthrough.

JackEtc

I was also looking for this now that I've beaten it, and stumbled on this one His girly screams make me crack up, love it. This was the first one I checked out, so there are probably others but I may watch some more of his playthrough.

"Brush your teeth when you get home"

I'm sold LMAO

RedAssedApe

Banned

same here...the time i got motion sickness was when i played using the smooth camera option. switched it back to 30 degrees. its weird at first but you get used to it. i really only needed to use it minimally anyways as most of the time when exploring i was using the head tracking to view the environment and then doing the 180 if i needed to turn around.

Grinchy

Banned

I enjoyed watching Ezekial_III play it in PSVR. He'd get really scared by things and scream and then just laugh his ass off.

Fuck man I just got this and it's scary af in vr.

When in the shit do I get a weapon I just started and went into that first house.

Also, is his a RE where weapons are plentiful? I'm to scared to run away

I'm literally taking a break every 5 mins I can't believe how scared I am

Wollan

I played through the whole game on default controls and thought they were great. I changed it so crosshairs only show when aiming. Eventually I also turned off the FOV filter (it creates a tunnel vision on purpose during large motions).

Scaving for items is really fun since they can be everywhere now. Under sofas, in pots etc.

Use your upper body to lean around corners and peak through door openings.

Vidiot

I over did it today and tried to press on when I started feeling really nauseous. I actually threw up a little. I haven't thrown up in years.

I over did it today and tried to press on when I started feeling really nauseous. I actually threw up a little. I haven't thrown up in years.
I'm so grateful that I either have an iron clad stomach or well established vr legs. I think 5 hours straight with the headset on was my longest play session with RE7.

CrocoDuck

I'm so grateful that I either have an iron clad stomach or well established vr legs. I think 5 hours straight with the headset on was my longest play session with RE7.

5 hours!? That's crazy! My first play through I lasted an hour and a half before I started to feel nauseous.

5 hours!? That's crazy! My first play through I lasted an hour and a half before I started to feel nauseous.
Skip to about five and a half minutes into this gameplay I recorded to see how awesome head tracking is. Spoilers for a boss fight about halfway through the game. Greenhouse area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsz-WWhqXg

There's just no way you can do stuff like that on a pad. And sure you can do it with a mouse but it isn't anything like as fun, natural or scary.

Edit, sorry wrong time.

FaintDeftone

Anybody know if RE7 in VR makes any difference on a Pro compared to a standard PS4? I'm still on the edge of biting on upgrading to a Pro and if RE7 looks a lot less uglier in VR on the Pro then that may be the final push to get me to buy one.

Wollan

Tried Resident Evil 7 for the first time today in non-VR. On an 55" LG OLED 4K HDR screen (w/my PS4 Pro).

I was immediately taken a bak by the tiny image. Felt like I was playing it in 4:3 format on a pocket device or something for the first half-a-minute.
I thought the depth-of-field effect for the pistol was a nice addition but then I remember it was sort of always like that in VR as well but since it was 'real' I didn't give it much notice.
The 2D version has a really cool muzzle smoke effect I can't remember seeing in VR.

It's a beautiful game on a 2D monitor (went through a lot of games today testing out my new TV but RE7 was still one of the very best) but I'm really glad I choose to play this in VR, the immersion and realness of it all isn't anywhere near worth the trade for picture quality. And the aiming is more satisfactory with the pixel accuracy you get with headtracking.

Anth0ny

Alright GAF,

After listening to the latest 8-4 Play I'm ready to finally jump into RE7. In VR. On PS4 Pro.

I've barely watched any videos, haven't played the demoes, and know basically nothing about the game other than it being first person and scary.

I'll be streaming my entire playthrough today at twitch.tv/ssgnet

Stream will begin in about 15 minutes and I plan to play through it all in one sitting.

REmake and RE4 are two of my favorite games of all time. They made me FEEL things. RE5 and 6 didn't make me feel shit. With RE7 in VR, I'm hoping to get some awesome atmosphere and hope it'll bring me back to the feels I got the first time I played REmake.

Here we goooo

Anth0ny

Welp, my body wasn't ready for VR. Had to quit after 20 minutes, was sweating like mad and had motion sickness :(

Anyone have any tips for getting used to VR motion?

diablogod

Welp, my body wasn't ready for VR. Had to quit after 20 minutes, was sweating like mad and had motion sickness :(

Hmm tips. Running is bad, I can feel motion sickness immediately when I run. Having the 30 degree turn thing on helped me for exploring. Other than that I think it's just getting used to it =(

SonnyBoy

I can only play it for 30 minutes at a time every couple of days lol. Part of that is due to fatherhood, most of it is due to it freaking me out. I've literally stood in place, afraid to move. You feel like you're there... You get the same sensations of something be present and in your near vicinity. I've actually recoiled in fear and shock.

There was a post on here yesterday( and was backed up by another poster) that having a fan blowing on you helps with motion sickness.

Oni Jazar

Alright GAF,

After listening to the latest 8-4 Play I'm ready to finally jump into RE7. In VR. On PS4 Pro.

I've barely watched any videos, haven't played the demoes, and know basically nothing about the game other than it being first person and scary.

Stream will begin in about 15 minutes and I plan to play through it all in one sitting.

REmake and RE4 are two of my favorite games of all time. They made me FEEL things. RE5 and 6 didn't make me feel shit. With RE7 in VR, I'm hoping to get some awesome atmosphere and hope it'll bring me back to the feels I got the first time I played REmake.

Here we goooo

Didn't even last an hour? Use 30 degree angle turning. People keep saying it breaks immersion but really you get used to it quickly.

Wollan

I say never alter the default controls before you have had a few minutes. If it after that feels too restrictive first then adjust the options.

I left it on the default VR settings. The "smooth" turning was a mess for me. I don't know if it was the frame rate or the resolution, but it was just too gnarly to look at in motion. I actually found it much easier to keep my bearings in 30-degree turning, and didn't feel like it was a compromise to the immersion in the slightest.

ChouGoku

I can play with smooth turning up to max but I have to keep the fov filter on. Its wierd, I can play Eve Valkyrie like a space pilot in a movie but no fov limiter is too much for me after 30-45 mins. For those getting sickness I would say perseverance is key. You just gotta keep pushing through it with short sessions. When I first got my gear VR, I walked in place to help me with artificial locomotion games like dreadhalls.

Oh so you've done 3 runs before? Then the impact won't be as strong (since you know what's coming). It will still be amazing though.

I'm doing a collectibles run now, which is my first time playing in regular mode. It's almost like I'm watching someone else play, that's how big of an immersion difference it is. Only positive is that it looks a lot better. But VR made this game for me, they really nailed it.

I got my PSVR yesterday and holy shit, RE7 is amazing in VR. Had done two full runs and started a third on Madhouse before beginning a fourth in VR, but it's still incredibly awesome - just not quite as scary as it would have been to play it this way first.

It's actually the only thing I've played so far, because there was a disc error with the included demo disc and it said about 13 hours remaining when I started to download the demo.
I didn't really want RE7 to be the first VR experience I had because I felt like it was very likely the best thing that exists on PSVR right now, but don't regret starting a run on it at all as it's one of the most insanely awesome gaming experiences I've ever had.
I was actually blown away just by the tutorial room before starting, lol. I just kept saying "holy fucking shit" out loud when I began.

Decided to play the RE7 demo first because I knew there'd only be one enemy and it would help me decide if I wanted to jump into the full game right now or not.
I'll never forget the initial amazement of suddenly being in that environment, even the smallest details were now potentially mindblowing - little things like pieces of paper rustling on the floor looked mindbogglingly real and greatly added to the sense of immersion.

Experienced no motion sickness at all (changed camera to smooth a few minutes in) thankfully, and been playing for up to 2-3 hours at a time. Last night I played for quite a while then felt the slightest hint of a headache, so took a break for about 10 minutes then jumped back in and felt totally refreshed and enjoyed it more that way.

I saved and quit last night after getting
the lantern (holy shit that fight was even more amazing and horrifying in VR)
and eager to jump back in later today.

I know the Molded aren't the most interesting enemy designs ever (not that I thought they were that bad either) but in VR they're pretty fucking awesome and getting a headshot on one is extremely satisfying.

Part of me regrets being so familiar with the game by the time I got to try it this way yesterday.
As much as I already loved it, VR is just such a gamechanger and I know some things would have had much more impact and been scarier had I not already experienced it.
Funnily enough, as scary as it is it's not as bad as I thought it might be. I think because it's also way more fun to play this way, so the fear gets balanced out, and no matter what happened and no matter how immersed I became, I was never unable to remind myself that I'm not in any physical danger.
The dinner table scene at the start felt like I'd been teleported into one of my favourite video games, and as disturbing as it was I couldn't stop smiling the whole time (aside from the knife in mouth parts which made me wince a bit).

I would kill for a (good) Silent Hill game that is fully playable in VR, as horrible as it would be (and as unlikely/borderline impossible as it is given the state of modern day Kuntnami). Just the thought of getting to explore the town surrounded by fog and that mysterious uneasy atmosphere, then witness otherworld transformations and feel like you're really there in that horrifying environment encountering the most grotesque and disturbing kinds of creatures, as the plot unravels and things get more and more fucked up - it would be insane. Classic elements like the flashlight would really suit VR whether controlled via headtracking or analog stick, and the radio static to indicate enemies in your vicinity could work really well with the 3D audio.

Also think A Nightmare on Elm Street game would be potentially mindblowing in VR, with Robert Englund VA and maybe even set in the 80s so it could be the closest thing imaginable to a lost Nightmare movie from that era, with good writing and a dark but still fun tone, and imaginative dream sequences in the vein of Dream Warriors.
Could work in an episodic format, where you play as a main character throughout the game but also take control of other characters to play through their dream sequences. Probably (almost definitely) won't happen but would be fucking cool.

Between VR, Jack's 55th Birthday (which is one of the most fun modes I've ever played in an RE game) and Madhouse mode, not to mention my first two regular runs on normal - I'm surprised how much enjoyment I've gotten out of this game considering it was 4 weeks ago that it came out. Can't wait for the free DLC in May and will definitely be playing it in VR the first time.

Top Bottom