• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

Budi

Didn't really sell me on the movie. Is this going to be like Wreck-It Ralph where I'm supposed to just be won over by how many references they put on screen at once? Oh, Iron Giant! Oh, the Delorean from Back to the Future!

Only thing keeping me interested is Spielberg's involvement.
Pretty much what I think, although I couldn't believe my eyes when it said "Directed by Steven Spielberg"

Edit: Haven't read the book.

JCHandsom

"Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I'd first obtained it, but I'd immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I'd looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse."

I can't believe I forgot about this part.

Exodust

Banned
To be honest, part of the reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that there's so many nerds online that needlessly crap on young adult books aimed at women (Twilight, Divergent, etc) that those nerds haven't even read, and then they bend over backwards to defend this piece of trash. But, the main reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that it's a bad book and deserves it.

Good point. It's easy to hate on trash not aimed at a different demographic but suddenly trash in your own demographic is misunderstood. I feel like a lot of nerds struggle with this.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This part will look great in IMAX:

“At the end of the day, I was still a virgin, all alone in a dark room, humping a lubed-up robot.”

Budi

I wonder up to what point does Grandpa Espilbergo understand the references in his own movie.
I seem to recall reading that Spielberg has at least a passing interest in video games, so he may actually know more than we expect.

Hopefully he doesn't know what happened to Duke after the 90s, though.
Yeah he definitely has, he played a lot of Lucas Arts adventure games atleast. https://youtu.be/qumYnE2wYhA?t=1692 And he was involved with The Dig which is based on his idea, as he wanted it originally to be an episode of Amazing Stories or a movie but it was concluded to be too expensive to film. And there is Boom Blox on Wii. His son has also been involved in games development http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,54923/

JDHarbs

I didn't notice it before, but the logo is actually a maze.

Nice touch.

readyplayerone.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Armada is far worse. I read RP1 and finished it but I put down Armada before the half way point and have no desire to return.

I am surprised you even read a page of Armada considering how much you seem to hate RP1.

I liked RP1 but didn't feel a need to try Armada given the reviews. I don't need the problems of RP1 in a book that doesn't have any of the fun stuff RP1 does.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am surprised you even read a page of Armada considering how much you seem to hate RP1.

I liked RP1 but didn't feel a need to try Armada given the reviews. I don't need the problems of RP1 in a book that doesn't have any of the fun stuff RP1 does.

Unlike many I actually read stuff before I shit on it. I read 50 Shades of Gray and the first Twilight book as well.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
1) I hope this makes everyone want amazing VR
2) If there's Eva Unit 01 I'll shit.

It'll definitely be disappointing if Iron Giant is the only big robot they have. I wonder who is dictating these references, since I don't exactly expect Spielberg to be out there championing Duke Nukem to be in the movie, but maybe he is.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This that video game shit right? What the hell was Iron Giant and Freddy Kreuger doing in there?

It's like future VR Second Life replaced the entire internet, with a cultural resurgence of 80-90s stuff because of a treasure hunt contest focused on 80's-90's stuff with the winner inheriting the entire Internet/Second Life VR thing.

hobozero

"Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I’d looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse."

I can't believe I forgot about this part.

That literally made my teeth hurt. Is the whole novel like that?

The only thing I can remember about the book is a review I read pointing out some pretty shitty behavior from the protagonist, including a pretty blatantly transphobic line.

I remember the author appearing in that Microsoft documentary about Atari's ET, wher he just kept going on about he had to "get my DeLorean back from Georgr R R Martin". He seemed like an insufferable shit.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I actually never read this book -- I had Wil Wheaton read it to me. (That's who reads the audiobook version.) Taken in small chunks while driving back and forth to work, I enjoyed it. Great? No. But I felt like someone I knew, who'd grown up with the stuff I grew up with, had written a book. That was an interesting feeling.

mortal

What made that trailer so interesting to me is that this is essentially the future of video games.

Also, I find it really hilarious how some people in this thread can shit on the movie simply for having really well rendered and detailed CGI....in a movie literally about VR gaming.

I constantly see people wishing actual games had CGI tier visuals, so some of the comments in the thread are sort of perplexing. If a crossover game that had visuals like this was ever released today, ya'll motherfuckers would be singing praises, and hyping it up.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I don't remember the book having this much action lol

One of the things they've almost certainly changed is that the "puzzle" sections of the book aren't quoting stuff or playing old video games anymore and are instead high-octane action scenes like the Speed Racer-looking thing this shows.

edit: Although now that I think about it more, I'm not sure that would fit with the treasure hunt aspect of the movie...

vareon

The trailer looks great and I hope the movie fixes everything that was bad in the book (which is a lot). Seeing Clive's name on screenplay didn't give me confidence but maybe, now that he's not writing alone, it could work. Fingers crossed.

zeemumu

That literally made my teeth hurt. Is the whole novel like that?

The only thing I can remember about the book is a review I read pointing out some pretty shitty behavior from the protagonist, including a pretty blatantly transphobic line.

I remember the author appearing in that Microsoft documentary about Atari's ET, wher he just kept going on about he had to "get my DeLorean back from Georgr R R Martin". He seemed like an insufferable shit.

More or less. The whole plot is based on the idea that the creator of this VR thing was a huge 80's nut and hid his treasure in One Piece in a riddle of nostalgia, causing a resurgence of treasure hunters who do nothing but study nostalgic stuff.

It'd be like if before Steve Jobs died he told the world that if they could discover his secret hidden within early 1900's silent film references, they would own Apple.

I'm an absolute sucker for crossovers so I didn't mind as much as most do (my tolerance breaks at around Disaster Movie levels) but if that's not your thing then it's gonna be a bit grating and you'll probably end up watching the cool bits by themselves in youtube clips somewhere down the line

Top Bottom