• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

Dmax3901

This was a pretty bad trailer imo, I have no idea what this is about. Didn't even hit home on the 'things from pop culture in one movie' vibe.

JCHandsom

What the Guys just telling you all the shit he studied in the five years the Contest has been going on. Remember this is a Kid from the 2040's, all this is New to him. It's like someone from now really getting into the Beatles. Or the Who like what happened when Rock Band came out. Don't act like you guys don't do this shit too. Guitar Hero alone Got me into a ton of Bands that I never listened to before.

A more apt analogy would be like someone discovered the Beatles because a reclusive billionaire promised a fortune to whoever absorbed the most 60s pop culture, and then proceeded to memorize the entire discography of the Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, etc., and then proceed to memorize every popular TV show and movie from the 60s, along with mastering the 60s equivalent of video games. Now imagine that the only reason this person started doing this was not because of natural discovery or interest, but because a guy put a giant carrot on the end of a string and said fetch.

Kadayi

Banned
holy grail of pop culture...

what? :/

Indeed, I don't know why they're blowing smoke up Clines ass, but I honestly feel sorry for all the poor bastards who are going to go out and buy RP1 in response to seeing that.

Without a doubt the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read, and one that I would definitely never recommend to anyone. Read Neuromancer, Read Dune, Read A scanner Darkly if you want actual sci-fi.

I dare say Ihaving viewed the trailer I doubt much of what the film will feature will exactly reference the book save in the broadest strokes. I dare say there will be plenty of 80s references there, but from a demographics perspective, for universal appeal, they'll need to go beyond.

Speely

Banned
I am conflicted.

I liked the book as a fun romp even though I agree that it was pretty poorly-written. It was like delicious junk food and I liked it.

The trailer looks good, but I don't think it captures the simple, campy charm of the book. That said, it looks well-done and interesting in a vacuum.

Reserving judgement.

Edit: The Stacks look exactly like I thought they would. That's a nice touch.

jett

D-Member
I'm not familiar with the book and I'm dubious as to whether this'll end up as anything more than spectacle, but I won't pretend I'm above watching a dumb movie for the sake of spotting references to things I like.

Can't say I expected to ever see Duke in a movie, especially in 2017.

dukew7pok.gif

I wonder up to what point does Grandpa Espilbergo understand the references in his own movie.

PaulloDEC

I wonder up to what point does Grandpa Espilbergo understand the references in his own movie.

I seem to recall reading that Spielberg has at least a passing interest in video games, so he may actually know more than we expect.

Hopefully he doesn't know what happened to Duke after the 90s, though.

I imagine he recognizes all the ones that will be featured prominently in the movie. Then I'm sure there are more minor ones that he allows in as long as his kids have heard of it. Finally, I'm sure the production team will sneak in a ton more that he'll never notice.

Faynwulf

Looks exactly as bad as I imagined it to look like.

edit: It's like poetry. A bad/mediocre film for a bad/mediocre book.

Just as a phrase, I'm not even sure what "The Holy Grail of Pop-Culture" is even supposed to mean.

It obviously serves as a reference to the most coveted holy item that was supposed to exist.

And another reference to Monty Python at the same time. Because the movie needs more references.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So have the clickbait articles started yet? "You won't believe all the references to your favorite things in this one trailer!!" making sure you have to click on NEXT to see one image at a time.

I know that when I hear the phrase "pure imagination", I immediately think of a bunch of dumb crap from the 80s and 90s getting smashed together like firecrackers were just set off beneath a pile of action figures.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Won't lie, I'll get some enjoyment playing where's waldo with references once this film is out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just as a phrase, I'm not even sure what "The Holy Grail of Pop-Culture" is even supposed to mean.
To put a spin on something from the DC universe, I think it means Ready Player One is a distillation of the Anti-Art Equation.

Keasar

Hey! Iron Giant! Duke Nukem! Freddy Krueger! Halo! The DeLorean from Back to the Future!

This is reference town!

And I am in.

You knowing they're going for jugular when the trailer introduces the VR world with Harley Quinn and Deadpool walking holding hands.
Hand over your wallets nerds!

TissueBox

OMG, that actually makes it look like this movie has potential and we've probably been given the glimpse of something amazing... I hope I'm right, with Spielberg few things are impossible. That said, I won't hold my breath for too long.

subrock

Can’t stand movies with this much CG ( yes I know it’s really the only way possible to present the source material) will likely skip this unless is gets >90% somehow.

Mr. Hyde

The book was a fun light hearted adventure. The first couple chapters were painful due to the heavy handed references but I felt they blended better after that for the story to pick up. The teaser looks alright. Unless it's complete garbage, I will go see it. My wife picked on me for reading it but then she ended up reading it and enjoyed it. She was mad at me because she wanted to read it just to make fun of me.

Gnome

"The Holy Grail of Pop Culture"

So an empty cup devoid of meaning with lots of adornments. Sounds fitting to me.

I hope they keep in that one part where Wade wins an argument by demonstrating how much he knows about Swordquest. That's the good Gatekeeping shit.

I hope they keep the part where he mentions how lame others are for having a robot that's an 80's reference instead of doing something original.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I hope they keep the part where he mentions how lame others are for having a robot that's an 80's reference instead of doing something original.

I hope they keep this part:

"Standing on the left side of the runway was my battle-worn X-wing fighter. Parked on the right side was my DeLorean. Sitting on the runway itself was my most frequently used spacecraft, the Vonnegut. Max had already powered up the engines, and they emitted a low, steady roar that filled the hangar. The Vonnegut was a heavily modified Firefly-class transport vessel, modeled after the Serenity in the classic Firefly TV series. The ship had been named the Kaylee when I’d first obtained it, but I’d immediately rechristened it after one of my favorite twentieth-century novelists. Its new name was stenciled on the side of its battered gray hull. I’d looted the Vonnegut from a cadre of Oviraptor clansmen who had foolishly attempted to hijack my X-wing while I was cruising through a large group of worlds in Sector Eleven known as the Whedonverse."

Top Bottom