• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

ryseing

To be honest, part of the reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that there's so many nerds online that needlessly crap on young adult books aimed at women (Twilight, Divergent, etc) that those nerds haven't even read, and then they bend over backwards to defend this piece of trash. But, the main reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that it's a bad book and deserves it.

I read Divergent. Divergent is a piece of garbage.

So is RPO.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This lenghty post is funny because it describes very well the behaviour of many nerds. That is why it will be hated a lot. Nobody wants to see himself in the mirror.

If there is ever a nerd religion their version of a Hail Mary will be a Ready Player One

Sylas

You know, I read this book when I was younger and while I didn't like it I was largely apathetic. The more I thought about it the angrier I got and now that I've watched this trailer I'm not angry anymore. I'm jealous. I'm jealous of this goddamn idiot of a manchild that wrote a novel using grade 10 language that became a best-seller and has an actual movie.

All because it's nothing but an 80's wankfest made for the demographic that's willing to throw their money at anything that tickles nostalgia. Why didn't I come up with this first! Damn you, Cline!

zeemumu

Yo, Iron Giant is in this?

fvJxbRW.png

So, it's mostly a CGI movie? Some of the action looked like Tintin.

If it follows the plot of the book and licensing permitting,
the final battle will be between several giant robots, one of which is Mechagodzilla

The Willy Wonka song was a nice touch

xam3l

lol most people in this thread seems like its threatened by all the "nerdiness" about this movie like it must be shutdown before is too late or something.

chill guys, even if the book is a piece of crap, its the execution that matters. we are not talking about some indie director going big. its spielberg doing what he does best.

just enjoy the ride. judge later.

jstripes

Banned
To be honest, part of the reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that there's so many nerds online that needlessly crap on young adult books aimed at women (Twilight, Divergent, etc) that those nerds haven't even read, and then they bend over backwards to defend this piece of trash. But, the main reason I love seeing this book shit upon is that it's a bad book and deserves it.

This, and RBO represents part of what's wrong with geek culture. There's an absolute obsession with pop culture references, easter eggs, etc., to the point where the references become more important than the content itself, and this over the top reference fest is like the logical conclusion to it all.

kadotsu

Banned
lol most people in this thread seems like its threatened by all the "nerdiness" about this movie like it must be shutdown before is too late or something.

chill guys, even if the book is a piece of crap, its the execution that matters. we are not talking about some indie director going big. its spielberg doing what he does best.

just enjoy the ride. judge later.

I'm more annoyed by the brandiness. This is The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour times 1000. This was a Simpsons reference by the way. And this post has better prose than Ready Player One.

Lokimaru

tpfLB97.gif

: the book: the movie

What would you do and study to win 240 billion dollars? The creator of the contest said you have to get inside his fucking head to even come close to winning. Hell the entire youth culture in the books is based off this very premise. The Kids in this world dress like it's the 1980 in the real world. From Spicky hair to faded Jeans. Hell Man I lived through the 80's, I had the Michel Jackson Thriller Jacket, I started dressing like Leroy from The Last Dragon complete with Kung Fu Slippers after seeing that Movie cause I loved it and it's still my third all time favorite movie. I have Hard drives FULL of Movies, Videogames and Comics that I like not to mention a shit ton of Pron without 240 billion being on the line. Stop acting like this shit doesn't happen and your above it all.

xam3l

I'm more annoyed by the brandiness. This is The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour times 1000. This was a Simpsons reference by the way. And this post has better prose than Ready Player One.

Thats the whole idea of the movie. A virtual world where you can be anything, "real" or not.
And the fact that most of those characters and brands have a purpose it makes everything more interesting.

In that line of thinking lets go back to Who framed roger rabbit and criticize the fact that they used Disney/WB characters instead of original ones.

HStallion

What would you do and study to win 240 billion dollars? The creator of the contest said you have to get inside his fucking head to even come close to winning. Hell the entire youth culture in the books is based off this very premise. The Kids in this world dress like it's the 1980 in the real world. From Spicky hair to faded Jeans. Hell Man I lived through the 80's, I had the Michel Jackson Thriller Jacket, I started dressing like Leroy from The Last Dragon complete with Kung Fu Slippers after seeing that Movie cause I loved it and it's still my third all time favorite movie. I have Hard drives FULL of Movies, Videogames and Comics that I like not to mention a shit ton of Pron without 240 billion being on the line. Stop acting like this shit doesn't happen and your above it all.

I'm not sure if this post is serious or making fun of RP1.

Compsiox

Banned
What movie adaptions have been better than the book in the past?

This will definitely be better than the book for sure.

Exodust

Banned
This looked like it was written by the memberberries.

According to a friend the book was basically just that, and he thought the book was terrible. I mostly avoided it because "You're in the videogame and it's totes cool" is my least favorite Sci-Fi setting.

rec0ded1

Using the bttf delorean like that was wrong in the book and continues to be wrong in this film. Shame 🔔 Shame 🔔

jstripes

Banned
In that line of thinking lets go back to Who framed roger rabbit and criticize the fact that they used Disney/WB characters instead of original ones.

But they did use original characters. Everything important in the movie involved original characters.

carlsojo

I didn't like the book very much but this movie looks fun.

Hopefully they just skip over the god awful part between gate 1 and key 2.

near

Gold Member
Haven't read the book, I have no intention of reading the book and even if the book is shit this should still be judged on it's own merits as a film. Trailer looked interesting I'll see this day one.

Rootbeer

Banned
All this 80's goodness washing over me.

Ahhh!

I need to find the time to read the book before the film though. Have been meaning to do that for a while.

Rolodzeo

I didn't really like the book all that much, specially the
love story
, but it should be fun watching all the references (or the ones they could get at least).

Why did they use The Iron Giant when they could have just used Superman.

*hears the sound of Bobby Roberts --too cool for school-- both turn, hearing the sound of Jackie Chan --hell yeah--, in his red velour jacket and pants, pounding his feet on the pavement in his adidas Oregons --sick fashion--, followed swiftly by a Dinozord piloted by The Super Inframan, Lum, and Yamucha --gotta love Japan--, the Wizard at his side wielding a Power Glove as Traci Lords and Nina Hartley dressed in nothing but Weird Science posters --I know my movies I'm the goddamn Ernest Cline okay I used Wikipedia but-- follow closely behind in a 1985 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z driven by

WAIT A MINUTE IF THIS IS A MOVIE ABOUT THE 80S WHY IS HARLEY QUINN THERE!?*

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sweet. Loved the book so keen to see it adapted to the screen. Can't wait for the gigantic battle at the end, going to be interesting seeing them encapsulate islands of the Oasis in that protective magic barrier. Wonder if they'll explain the mechanics in the VR world and how some are still poor even in the virtual reality.

HStallion

Stephen King hates Shining. stephen king is also a terrible movie director; he also did not make much impression as a movie scenario writer.

two different worlds.

He should have won an Oscar for his roll as the Hoagie Man so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Top Bottom