• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic graphics, what genre needs them the most

I begin thinking about this while playing ESPN NFL 2K5 on Xbox, the genre that would seem to benefit the most from advanced graphics is sports. I get the feeling that games that look like the Unreal 3 engine images may turn some people off, then again it could just be the art style. I like realistc graphics, but to an extent. I just don't want characters to look to realistic where things start to feel weird.

The thought of playing a first person shooter that has character models that look like something on the same quality as Neo in the Matrix sequels just feel down right spooky.

I think most of us would agree that part of the draw to videogames is that it doesn't resemble reality. I think once consoles match Final Fantasy CG then MS, Nintendo, and Sony should increase the life span of consoles to 8-10 years. When I say match FF CG, it pertains to visuals and the fact that so much is being displayed at once on screen.

belgurdo

Banned
Sports, obviously. FPSes too (although they shold try and vary their settings a bit)

RPGs don't need to be all that realistic being that most of them are set in fantasy worlds, but since some stories call for the fantasy to be "believable" I suppose realstic graphics would help

They've already got their line, GTA's clearly lean to a more cartoonish artstyle compared to the other games similar to it. That's how they'll continue to go instead of trying to look realistic like other games.

SolidSnakex said:
They've already got their line, GTA's clearly lean to a more cartoonish artstyle compared to the other games similar to it. That's how they'll continue to go instead of trying to look realistic like other games.

Another game that came to mind is Manhunt, or do you think that series want see sequels?

aoi tsuki

Before "realistic" graphics, i want a lockdown on framerates. Thirty or sixty (preferrable) AT ALL TIMES. i won't mind if multiplatform games released simulataneously are a little framey, but all others should stay constant. i'd like to say i expect this to be fairly standard for next gen, seeing as how we'll be in the third iteration of 3D systems, but i doubt it'll happen.

Quite simply, i think games that are trying to emulate real life situations need those graphics the most. i wouldn't want to see platformers as they are now with those kind of graphic - it most likely wouldn't work. One exception would be a game like Pikmin. There's a few photographed textures in the game already, and if the characters were clayshaded to like the models, that'd be eerily cool.

Manhunts a completely different issue. If there is a sequel, there's no way Rockstar is going to tone down the realism and I don't think they should. But I think Rockstar will likely get alot of competition next gen as far as violence goes. Companies are learning from them that the more extreme the violence is the more attention it'll get. So the violence in games should increase quite a bit next gen.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Azih said:
Tetris could use some realistic graphics I always felt.

Make em look like real blocks dammit.

I imagine a Tetris where the blocks are of different materials, like you're building a wall out of bricks. Imagine dust flying around as the bricks slam against each other!

belgurdo

Banned
Kiriku said:
I imagine a Tetris where the blocks are of different materials, like you're building a wall out of bricks. Imagine dust flying around as the bricks slam against each other!

You know, that'd be an awesome game mechanic; having some blocks made out of stone and some out of wood that would break when a certain amount of blocks were stacked on top of them

Gattsu25

Banned
or a 'steel' block that would be used to crush...2 steels on top of a wood would crush those and 3 or 4 on top of brick would crush those...maybe? maybe?

no?

:(

Ranger X

I feel that any type of game that is fact a sim of some sort should have realistic graphics.

Solid, i think Rockstar want GTA to stay a good parody of things but i doubt they won't get the graphics more realistic looking. I mean, they look cartoon right now because they can't really push better graphics in their complex and demanding game engine.
Next gen GTA we will have the true answer though.

Matlock

Banned
No genre really needs it, but as the limits on the conversion from art to renders get fewer and fewer...many companies will be pushed to do it.

Of course, in the end, it should be not a goal of realism, but a goal of artistic freedom. If the vision includes realism, let it be. If not? Well, you already know.

Top Bottom