• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really weird shit that you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
QVT said:
Actually a symptom of OCD, but I am not a doctor.

I read good books.

seriously?

How are the two related? Because i do the same thing, only my reason is because i desperately long for some test of survival to break my mundane daily routine.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I do quite a few of the things already mentioned in here, but to add one:

I will suddenly and arbitrarily have an intense recall of a previous embarrassing moment, usually involving something I said. The moment can be relatively recent or years old -- it doesn't seem to matter. The memory only lasts a few seconds, but during that time it's almost physically painful -- I usually wince and sometimes even mutter something under my breath. This happens a few times a week and is insanely irritating.

I also constantly fantasize about big (but unlikely/impossible) catastrophes happening, such as a zombie outbreak or a Cloverfield-style monster stomping around. I think I do this because I know that if such a thing were to happen, I'd be absolved of daily responsibilities such as going to work, paying bills, etc.

JEHUTYj

Banned
I pick the skin under my heal and under my big toe. Sometimes so bad that it bleeds and it really hurts to walk. :/

When someone makes a joke or makes a greeting and I laugh or smile, I continue to smile minutes after the joke/greeting is over or they have gone. I have to remind myself to turn my smile off.

I've been told by a co-worker that I walk with clinched fists.

human5892 said:
I also constantly fantasize about big (but unlikely/impossible) catastrophes happening, such as a zombie outbreak or a Cloverfield-style monster stomping around. I think I do this because I know that if such a thing were to happen, I'd be absolved of daily responsibilities such as going to work, paying bills, etc.

Me too.

I so desperately want those responsibilities absolved...where the fuck are the zombies?

snacknuts

we all knew her
If I'm bored at work, school, doctor's office, etc. I'll visualize a beam of light coming from somewhere, and then mentally place mirrors around the area to get the beam of light to go where I want it to. Up stairs, around corners, etc. Sort of like some video game puzzles where you have to rotate mirrors a certain way.

If I see ZIP codes, phone numbers, license plate numbers, etc. I total the digits in my head and see if they add up to a multiple of ten. If they do, I sort of think, "heh, awesome," and then go back to what I was doing.

I'm very particular about the freshness of what I'm eating. If I have any doubt at all whether something is or isn't still good, or if crackers/chips/whatever are even slightly stale, I won't eat them.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I constantly solve math problems that require no solving. Like, how many seconds until the hour is up, or how many kilometers per second I'm going. If I'm playing an RPG I'll sometimes calculate how many monsters on average I'll need to kill for my next level up.
I also do things like type a random assortment of keys in a text editor and see if I can condense it to a single letter by replacing QWERTY pairs of letters with the first letter. Like QW can become Q, WE can become W and so on.
I also do the rehearsing of conversations, but people are usually much angrier over petty things in my head.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
God, I do a ton of weird things all day. I'm pretty sure I have OCD, but it's not TOO bad.

The two things that pop to mind first are -

1. I can only eat cookies in whole numbers, meaning I will grab 2 cookies, or 4 cookies, but never 1 or 3.

2. I have a fairly complicated system for walking on any surface with some kind of design on it (including basically any sort of tile, as the lines count as a "design") or that otherwise ends or varies (such as turns in a hallway, or door openings). It's a little too complicated to explain without diagrams, but suffice to say that if my mind isn't otherwise occupied, I have a VERY strange walking pattern.

::edit::
RevenantKioku said:
I constantly solve math problems that require no solving. Like, how many seconds until the hour is up, or how many kilometers per second I'm going. If I'm playing an RPG I'll sometimes calculate how many monsters on average I'll need to kill for my next level up.
I also do weird calculations all the time. I went for a 45 minute run the other day and I actually calculated how many steps I took (total and per second) based on my breathing patterns and the fact that, to occupy my mind while running, I usually count like this -

:inhale: 1 :exhale: 2 :inhale: 3 :exhale: 4

and so on.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Sometimes I have an urge to bite someone in such a way that my upper mouth is over their lower mouth and my lower mouth is under their jaw.

Like this:

2mont3t.png
:lol :lol :lol

Cdammen

I think of ways using bucket loads of hamsters as fuel/power to propel vehicles. So does one of my friends. We actually wrote down our ideas and made several sketches of two-seated hamster powered cars.

When walking on tiled cement pavement I take extra care not stepping on any of the "seams" (or whatever you call the are in-between two tiles).

CavemanLawyer said:
Whenever I'm bored (aka in class) I like to pretend that I can shoot a laser out of my eyes and then i follow the route it bounces off objects. I sometimes follow this imaginary laser around the room for a good 3 or 4 minutes.
I also do this :D

Doytch

Monroeski said:
1. I can only eat cookies in whole numbers, meaning I will grab 2 cookies, or 4 cookies, but never 1 or 3.

Zesty already said you probably mean even numbers, but 2 is considered an odd number, since it's divisible by only 1 and itself. Hah, now you're gonna be fat! :D

Every single time anyone anywhere asks me to make a decision I say "um" right before the word.

"Paper or plastic" "um, plastic"
"What would you like on your sub" "um, lettuce, tomato..."

Google

So much of this thread is a little scary...

Sure, we all do weird things...but mimicking a butt-slap on girls who wear shorts?

Az

I'm weird..

When I use the stairs (up and down) I always try to get my right foot to be on the last step. I try to calculate before I get on the steps with which foot i should start with so my right foot ends on the last one. I got pretty good with this and almost always calculate it right, no matter how many steps there is. :D

hmm

Its kind of hard to think about what things you do that other people find odd.

I will NOT consume anything that is past the "sell by" date. I've tried to get over this by sniffing it...and it will smell rotten to me.

I mess with my hair constantly, and i have a mirror at work that i look at while im doing it. Yeh, dunno why.

I've noticed this more now that im pregnant, that the many times i get up and go to the bathroom during the night, I dont open my eyes. I feel the walls and objects to know where i am.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
bard said:
In a crowded store, I wonder just how many people I could punch before the mob caught on and held me in submission.

Sadly, I think it's a high number... Humans = fail.

:lol :lol

I thought I had sick thoughts. I sometimes thought it would be funny to wait for people outside restaurants and hit them in the stomach after the meal. it would be hard for them to chase me while puking. I am older now and have the inner controls to supress such thoughts but.

I love smelling new game manuals when I open the box for the first time. the combination of DVD substrates, ink and paper, ah!

I pick and bite my cuticles pretty regularly and also pick with my other adjacent fingers.

I think Cloudwalking does too. cloudwalking?

Rayo

Banned
I remember tiny details and sometimes pretend not to remember them so that nobody calls me creepy. I'm not creepy I just have a good memory. Sometimes I can't decide whether or not to reveal a piece of information I remember and I am silent for an awkward amount of time. It also backfires when I choose not to let them know I remember and then the other party gets upset.

charmjam

Neo Member
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Sometimes I have an urge to bite someone in such a way that my upper mouth is over their lower mouth and my lower mouth is under their jaw.

Like this:

2mont3t.png

I laughed till I cried. Wow.

1. When eating a sandwich, I balance it on the back of my hand.
2. I drink from the side of my mouth.
3. I count while I'm brushing my teeth.
4. I make up math problems and try to figure them out in my head.
5. Sometimes I stick my left foot out the window when I'm driving (well... not since I got a standard)

G-Bus

Banned
I can't get up out of bed unless the numbers rounded up. So if it's 11:47, I wait until 11:50. if it's 2:31, i wait until 2:35. I've done this for as long as I can remember.

RiskyChris said:
Every single time anyone anywhere asks me to make a decision I say "um" right before the word.

"Paper or plastic" "um, plastic"
"What would you like on your sub" "um, lettuce, tomato..."
I do the same thing but I say "uh". For me it's kind of an extention to saying "hey" before you say what you wanna say in order to get that person's attention, so that you don't have to repeat yourself. But if you're the one who asked me a question, you should already be paying attention to what I'm about to say, right? What a bad habbit.

Also if someone asks me a question out of the blue, I will always resopond with a "huh?" even if I heard them. I think a lot of people do this though. When they start to repeat themselves I'll just cut them off cause we both know what just happened.

muckhole

Robert Ashley said:
"Really weird shit that you do" would make a great song title.

That's one of my ticks. Almost everything I read or hear goes through a band name/album title/song title process that evaluates its potential or appropriateness for the aforementioned nomenclatural duties.

Same here, but I also do band names. I have a stockpile of backup band names if I ever need 'em.

I fold fabric (bedsheets, clothing) into a sharp point and flick it repeatedly over my thumbnail, without realizing I'm doing it.

Sandwiches always taste better after I`ve flattened them as thin as I can.

Bursh

When I look at clocks I add up the numbers in the time to multiples of five. If it is 1:27 then that adds up to ten. nice.

If it is something like 2:49 then 2+4+9=15, which would be okay but the 1 and the five add up to 6, so no dice. 2:48 would be preferable because that's five.

I don't get uneasy if the time doesn't add up properly for me its just something I do all the time.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
IamMattFox said:
I'm always the first to finish eating, no matter who I'm eating with.

I'm always the last to finish eating and it sucks esp. when I'm eating with girls. I feel like it makes me look less masculine if I eat slowly.

Rayo said:
I remember tiny details and sometimes pretend not to remember them so that nobody calls me creepy. I'm not creepy I just have a good memory. Sometimes I can't decide whether or not to reveal a piece of information I remember and I am silent for an awkward amount of time. It also backfires when I choose not to let them know I remember and then the other party gets upset.

I do this too.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
nobody mentioned that they say "like" all the time, I guess you all think you don't have a problem. I don't hate many things in this world, but i can muster up the energy to hate that filler word. one of the reasons i cant stand teenagers is because of this. and they infect the parents as well.

no, I never say "like" unless I am making a direct comparison.

Also, when people use the words "I mean" ahhhh...

sorry, I know this isn't the pet peeve thread.

Yo Gotti

Banned
when I see someone walking on a walkway that im on like 30 feet in front or behind me
I like to spit a huge loogie on the sidewalk while they arent looking
then watch them walk past it knowing they saw my huge loogie on the sidewalk

:lol

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
Yo Gotti said:
when I see someone walking on a walkway that im on like 30 feet in front or behind me
I like to spit a huge loogie on the sidewalk while they arent looking
then watch them walk past it knowing they saw my huge loogie on the sidewalk

:lol

ugh, you typed "like" you must say it in your sleep.

human5892 said:
I do quite a few of the things already mentioned in here, but to add one:

I will suddenly and arbitrarily have an intense recall of a previous embarrassing moment, usually involving something I said. The moment can be relatively recent or years old -- it doesn't seem to matter. The memory only lasts a few seconds, but during that time it's almost physically painful -- I usually wince and sometimes even mutter something under my breath. This happens a few times a week and is insanely irritating.
That's me. :( Though my moments are usually more recent focused. Last month was prom, so embarrassing moments ahoy. Those follow two weeks were quite painful. >_> Even now, at the remembrance of such events, my stomach shakes in fear.

When I was little, and rarely do now, while sitting in a car I would have this imaginary ball that I would bounce over trees and power lines. It was sort of like a game and the ball couldn't touch a tree or a power line.

Probably the weirdest thing I do involves my hands. Whenever I am vividly imagining something, I will do these weird hand motions. It's kind of hard to describe it. I did it a lot when I was a kid and some people remember me for this. I don't do it in public anymore, though I sometime do it in private. It's a very unconscious thing.

Also, I'm addicting to holding a pencil, by the tip, with my mouth and sometimes carry one with my mouth. In recent times I'm too self conscious to do in the hallways at school, but I'll do it in the classroom. I've had people tell me it looks like I'm smoking. That has led me to fantasize about having a cigarette in my mouth all the time. Though, I don't intend to ever smoke. Going along with that, I also fantasize about dressing up like a noir detective. Just today I was thinking up lines I would say.

I'm addicting to using hand sanitizer. I don't do it to be healthy really, just when my hands feel weird. I'll even use it on my pencils, though it's because I realize how unhealthy my pencil habit is.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
-I think about what others are thinking after I have talked to them (Yes, I'm paranoid)
-When I was younger, I imagined my teachers naked
-I use my own fingers to peel off my finger nails

Linkhero1

- I like to rehearse what I am about to say too. I also think about past conversations and what I could have changed.

- If I walk a certain path I must walk back exactly the same way I came. For example if I pass between two poles, when I return I must walk back between those poles. Not around one but between both.

- If I get inside a car through one door I must come out the same exact door. (this applies only when I'm sitting in a back of a car.)

- I like to make people angry at me. I don't really know why.

I have more but I can't think of them right now.

eXistor

-When I watch a movie I act along with it. Not aloud, but just mouthing and such.

-I tend to talk to myself alot.

-when I'm in the passenger seat of a car, I sometimes imagine a man running alongside the road jumping over the signs and trees.

- Even though I'm Dutch, I use a lot of English words in my sentences. Only with people I know well though.

eXistor said:
-When I watch a movie I act along with it. Not aloud, but just mouthing and such.

-I tend to talk to myself alot.

-when I'm in the passenger seat of a car, I sometimes imagin a man running alongside the road jumping over the signs and trees.

- Even though I'm Dutch, I use a lot of English words in my sentences. Only with people I know well though.

I used to do this so much when I was younger. I guess I just stopped one day

Cereal

G-Bus said:
I can't get up out of bed unless the numbers rounded up. So if it's 11:47, I wait until 11:50. if it's 2:31, i wait until 2:35. I've done this for as long as I can remember.

I do the exact same thing. And far too many times have those few extra minutes turned into 30 minutes and made me late for work. I can't stand it.

I also have other OCD like issues with symmetry, smoothness, and straight lines. I hate curved lines. It's so so so bizarre. Circles are my worst enemy.

JimiNutz

Banned
eXistor said:
-when I'm in the passenger seat of a car, I sometimes imagine a man running alongside the road jumping over the signs and trees.

Yeah I did this as a kid but I imagined it was Sonic and I only did it on the freeway when the car was going really fast.

Whenever I see a group of 4 numbers or more I perform mathematical equations in my head to make a end result divisible by a factor of 10. Don't know why but been doing it forever.

Davedough

Not so much now because I've gotten control over it, but when I was younger, I would always silently mouth anything I said to someone back to myself. Not because I thought I said something wrong, but just because I felt like I had to do it. I'd get caught a lot and get embarrassed about it. Basically, if I said a sentence, anything, I would say that exact same sentence to myself under my breath.

salva said:
Rehearse future conversations that i think i'm going to have

In all seriousness, I would not recommend this. Ive been trying to break this habit for awhile but left unchecked it becomes neurotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom