• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Received fake check for a job, should I turn them in? (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeuk

The overpayment thing is the biggest indication it's fake, not only are you out of pocket already, you'd be losing another $1000 if you passed the extra money on to whomever they said. You should contact whoever it is you need to to confirm it and I'm sure they'll let you know where to go from there. I wouldn't let it go, they're probably doing the same thing to others.

The real issue here is two parts.

1: Cash the money and giving some of it to another individual
2: Them giving the money before the OP even gave him the work he's done for them

To verify things, I'd rather call them up and say he can't accept the money because he should not be the middle man to giving money to someone else. Then see how it goes. With this process you're giving a valid reason not to accept the cheque and if they send another one that looks exactly the same but with the expected $900 value then investigate it's validity.

MWCShay

UPDATE - Check is definitely a fake, I checked with Chase and the account number is a fake. Not only is the account number a fake the routing number is in the wrong place like I thought.

Even without that, they say they are in Louisiana, have a Louisiana number but for some reason send a check from Tulsa, Oklahoma? That makes no sense. Bacon and Sons sells used office furniture.

They say they work for Pulis Holdings but have not or will not provide any evidence that they actually do work with them.

Name me any professional that does not have a Linkedin, Facebook or personal website.

On top of that I am giving excess money to someone else. Without verifying anything it all screams fake as hell.

Culex

Banned
I work at a large bank. MICR line can have any ordered combination of check number, account, and routing. The biggest giveaway is that most of the fraudulent checks do not include the check fraction, or end in -50 or -99

Probably fake. Definitely useless.

But how in hell are you going to keep a straight face when you say on the phone to the police "Uh, yeah, uh, I think i've been scammed by someone named 'Bacon'... Surname 'Son'... Hello? You still there?"

You'd be better off delivering a pizza for I.C.Weiner.

EDIT: Report them immediately.

UPDATE - Check is definitely a fake, I checked with Chase and the account number is a fake. Not only is the account number a fake the routing number is in the wrong place like I thought.

Even without that, they say they are in Louisiana, have a Louisiana number but for some reason send a check from Tulsa, Oklahoma? That makes no sense. Bacon and Sons sells used office furniture.

They say they work for Pulis Holdings but have not or will not provide any evidence that they actually do work with them.

Name me any professional that does not have a Linkedin, Facebook or personal website.

On top of that I am giving excess money to someone else. Without verifying anything it all screams fake as hell.

Good job on saving yourself a ton of trouble. Now burn the bastards and report it.

pigeon

Banned

Report the guy you were supposed to send the money to to the police as quickly as possible, before they figure out that you're on to them.

Dali

Report them. It's not like you're turning in a suspected bad mother. It's a scam.

The only record of a "Pulis Holdings" company is something from Australia:

wXHN8cE.png

So they either made up the name, or their company is based on Australia, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I also found a Facebook post that references a "Pulis Holdings" scam:

bhqHAf6.png

Yeah, go get them, OP.

In Canada the cheque number is at the beginning and not the end.

I doubt they're Canadian though.

edit: Routing number is also legit, you can find that stuff online at http://www.fededirectory.frb.org/agreement.cfm
edit2: I used to work in a facility that processes cheques, you learn a few things

I work in billing (in the US) and I occasionally see checks with the check number at the beginning as well. It's rare, but it does happen.

MWCShay

I am going to report the check but I am trying to find out who it was I was supposed to give the extra money to first.

I wrote them an email making everything seem great and that I deposited the check into my account. I am just waiting for it to be released tomorrow and I can get the money to the other person asap.

Hopefully they write me back and fall for the bait, if not I will just report it and let the authorities handle it.

n64coder

Because they want me to give the excess to some jackass out here in Los Angeles.

As others mentioned, this is the classic check scam. It can take a week for the check to come back as bogus. They're relying on your thinking that it's good and sending them money.

I don't know why others are looking up Bacon & Son, or the company in Australia. It doesn't matter. The scammer just wants him to send the excess money to the Los Angeles contact.

I would contact them and ask for details on where to send the money. It's probably a PO box or a Western Union number.

I had someone contact me on Craigslist to buy some air exchanger that I was selling for $800. They sent me 3 postal money orders which were fake. I turned them into the post office and that was the last I heard of it.

OP, how do you advertise your services? Was it on Craigslist?

I am going to report the check but I am trying to find out who it was I was supposed to give the extra money to first.

I wrote them an email making everything seem great and that I deposited the check into my account. I am just waiting for it to be released tomorrow and I can get the money to the other person asap.

Hopefully they write me back and fall for the bait, if not I will just report it and let the authorities handle it.

... Awfully cunning of you, old bean. Worth a try, I suppose!

rbanke

Raises hand.

MWCShay

ONE MORE UPDATE: I went to the local Chase and the guy verified it was a fake and that the account number had already been flagged because of other fraudulent checks.

Had the check voided out and he advised me to turn it into the authorities. I really want these bastards to get caught now though, because clearly they have tricked a number of people already and some of those people probably really needed the money.

So I tried to make everything seem fine and that I deposited the check into my account. I am just waiting for the check to clear tomorrow and everything will be going to plan. I even made a fake deposit slip to send to them so it looks real.

If they take the bait I will hopefully meet an accomplice and have them arrested.
Honestly I have debated just bringing a couple friends and teaching them a lesson, but I probably won't.

DarkFlow

Banned
If they take the bait I will hopefully meet an accomplice and have them arrested.
Honestly I have debated just bringing a couple friends and teaching them a lesson, but I probably won't.

Yeah you would go to jail with them if you did, Don't do that.

ONE MORE UPDATE: I went to the local Chase and the guy verified it was a fake and that the account number had already been flagged because of other fraudulent checks.

Had the check voided out and he advised me to turn it into the authorities. I really want these bastards to get caught now though, because clearly they have tricked a number of people already and some of those people probably really needed the money.

So I tried to make everything seem fine and that I deposited the check into my account. I am just waiting for the check to clear tomorrow and everything will be going to plan. I even made a fake deposit slip to send to them so it looks real.

HA.

Keep us posted on how it all goes down!

sn00zer

Ummmm so you cashed a check you knew was fake?...please tell me you did this under the guidance of the polic
EDIT: I am dumb...you should really call the police now as opposed to later

Boem

I agree that your plan is awesome and heroic, but I wouldn't advise going through with this. Leave it to the police. Trying to lure them out and confront them yourself will only get you in trouble, at the very least legally. Don't try to be a hero - just let the police do their job.

smurfx

get some go again
unless your friends come armed i wouldn't recommend it. even if they were armed you should not meet them as you don't know what will happen. if they send any info for a meet up then call the cops immediately and see if they want to do something.

MWCShay

I've decided not to beat the shit out of them, even though it would feel real good. I am just going to turn all the evidence I have into the police.

I think I might of scared them off earlier when I asked for a facebook, linkedin or website so I could contact them there instead of by email. Even though my fake bank deposit is enticing, they are probably done with me now.

Ill update this post after I have turned everything over and if anything finally happens.

Would be crazy as hell if the scammer was also on GAF and was following this thread, preparing a trap for he OP.

I actually thought about this being a possibility, seeing as GAF is a huge community. Even if they don't post here, they could of seen it or someone they know could of seen it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
let this be a lesson to you, if you ever want to dupe a scammer (or even dupe anyone in general)

Do not oversell. For example, you made deposit slip. great. don't offer that up without THEM asking for proof you deposited it. if you willingly show it to them, they're going to get suspicious.

you have to remember that they are experienced with deception. you have to use reverse psychology.

publicizing it is probably not going to matter that much in the first day since google probably won't slurp up this page, process it, and show it for search results until later. depends on a few factors there. they are probably not monitoring neogaf for "fake check" threads, anyhow. it would be a waste of time. time = money to them.

kehs

Banned
MWCshay about to get arrested for obstruction of justice and meddling with official investigations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom