• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me 1 gaming magazine that will be worth my money

g23

European pre-madonna
CGW expired today :(

Should I renew? or should I try something new?

I only have enough funds for one subscription at the moment though.

So what do you guys think is the best gaming magazine out there at the moment in terms of overall performance? In terms of editors who have great personalities, people you can "connect" with.

I guess the Ziff Davis magazines are great since I listen to all their podcasts and they sound like a great bunch of people (I know CGW was great and by listening to the CGW podcast it made me understand the editors pov's better), but how are the others like PSM, OXM, PC Gamer, Nintendo Power, etc..

I guess the question is, what gaming magazine would you recommend to a gamer?

Thanks.

g23

European pre-madonna
I don't really care about the magazine who offers the best demo disks. I'm talking feature-wise.

Odysseus

Banned
I really wouldn't recommend one. You're better off just buying a magazine off the news stand one of those rare times one actually has something worth paying to read. Otherwise, just get your news on the internet.*

*neogaf

ElyrionX

PC Gamer is still quite awesome despite the PC fanboys editors going "ZOMG! PC GAMINGZ IS TEH L337!! CONSOLE GAMEZ SUX0RZ"

bjork

holiday96.jpg

Came with Christmas NiGHTS, *totally* worth the money.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if game magazines were worth your money, they wouldn't offer all those free subscriptions. but i really like edge whenever i buy a copy -- if only i could get that for free

g23

European pre-madonna
Whats bad about EGM? It has Shane!

Though that Halo x-clusive cover story for their upcoming issue looks exiting..

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wish i could tell you whether egm is any good -- it comes in the mail every month -- but the articles are like three sentences long, and two of those sentences are "wacky quips" of the "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHOE IS SMOKING, BUT" variety

Odysseus

Banned
g23 said:
Whats bad about EGM? It has Shane!

Though that Halo x-clusive cover story for their upcoming issue looks exiting..

Buy it in the store.

Seriously, it takes ten minutes to go through a full issue of EGM and pick out the meaty parts most months. OXM and OPM are worse. I can't speak for another magazine.

adg1034

Game Informer's pretty good. I've been getting EGM for the last couple years (and reading every issue for the about the previous four), and I like it. I guess, for console gaming, it depends on which console you have. OPM's good. But, by all means, keep supporting the CGW team- Jeff Green needs the love. It's also a kick-ass magazine.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I like Hardcore Gamer Magazine. When I can find it at least. I used to love Gamefan a while back, and lots of those guys make HGM!

bjork said:
holiday96.jpg

Came with Christmas NiGHTS, *totally* worth the money.

Thank you. I was always wanted to remember this mag's name but I couldn't. I used to love this magazine. I don't know if it's because I was too young or because it was really that good though since I've lost all copies many years ago. Was it really that good?

Grug

Edge is the way to go.

It definately suits the general GAF audience who prefer reading about games to playing them.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont see the point of buying mags if you have the internet, unless you are going to get them for free (like I do with EGM).

RSLAEV

CO_Andy said:
Play Magazine. I dare anyone to name a magazine with a better layout or design.

I second this. Halverson's hyprebole laden writing is almost vomit inducing, but they cram a lot of big screenshots and concept art in that mag.

beat

CO_Andy said:
Play Magazine. I dare anyone to name a magazine with a better layout or design.
Bah! My eyes aren't what they used to be. I'd honestly prefer if they ate a little of their precious empty space in favour of larger type sizes.

ElyrionX

To those who says you don't need a gaming mag with GAF around, that is true. But you can't read GAF in the toilet and that's what I buy gaming mags for. Well, technically, you CAN read GAF in the toilet but I rather not go there....

I enjoy

Game Informer - Great exclusives
Edge - Great Reviews
Nintendo Power - Great Nintendo info (sometimes exclusives)
EGM - Rumors and funny articles from seanbaby

SickBoy

Regarding OPM and demos, if you do subscribe, I hope for your sake there are good demos every month. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I grabbed this month's issue for the Guitar Hero 2 demo... and I find myself flipping through the pages, interested by nothing. I think the design of the magazine is horrendous.

The last article I read was brutal and all I can say is it's a very good thing I decided in advance that it was worth spending $12 on a GH2 demo.

I've bought a few issues of Edge recently, and with no disc and costing a buck more it's far better value in any month where Guitar Hero isn't part of the equation :)

Cdammen

EDGE. No contest.

SickBoy said:
I've bought a few issues of Edge recently, and with no disc and costing a buck more it's far better value in any month where Guitar Hero isn't part of the equation :)
You've seen the light ;)

Top Bottom