• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me 1 gaming magazine that will be worth my money

Mar

Retrogamer is the only mag I've ever subscribed to. It has editorial problems (grammar etc) but the articles and content are the best around.

Edge is also good, and the only one I'd recommend if you are after a magazine that talks about the here and now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i really dig gamesTM, even though it's about ten dollars a copy where i am.
their reviews are appropriately harsh, and the book itself just feels weighty and worth the money.

ibu

Edge is really good and I have been getting it for years but now its £4.50 I glance at it and walk the other way... Im poor enough a student as it is without laying down £5 each month for a mag I dont read as religiously as I used too!

My three favorites are as follows:

1.) PC Gamer
2.) Game Informer
3.) OXM

All of them are worth reading, and you can get PC Gamer for really cheap if you look. :)

SantaC

Mr. Spinnington said:
My nostalgia levels are so high, if anyone drew blood from me right now they might think they'd need to put me in a hospital.

you call that nostalgia? I raise you this.
ninten.jpg

womp

Next Generation was a fantastic mag especially for its time, it always had the more "Serious" and intelligent articles that made tripe like GamePrO and EGM look like Fisher-Price material (They still are). Their interviews were always awesome too, my favorites being Eugene Jarvis and Trip Hawkins...Awesome stuff!

Even better that I got it free too. :D

Anyway, I consider EDGE probably the best out there and like to buy the import on occassion otherwise stick with the internet.

My free EGM issue arrived yesterday so I took it to the toilet last night when I had to take a dump. It entertained me for 15 min and then I dropped it in the recycle bin, nothing going on in there even remotely interesting. I can't believe they charge $5 for it, it really IS a crappy read. I honestly thanked the heavens when my GamePro free sub ended as it makes EGM look like Shakespeare.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
polg said:

i would kill for next generation to be up and running again...it was easily the best gaming mag of its time(and showed me how stupid gamepro and the others were) old school egm and egm2 were good too.

womp

Parallax said:
i would kill for next generation to be up and running again...it was easily the best gaming mag of its time(and showed me how stupid gamepro and the others were) old school egm and egm2 were good too.

As a fan you may want to check out http://www.next-gen.biz/ They even kept the same font more or less.

SickBoy

Cdammen said:
EDGE. No contest.

You've seen the light ;)

Nah, I always knew Edge was quality. Just never really wanted to pay the premium, so I rarely bought it. But after a trip earlier this year to the UK, and buying a couple of issues there, I've been much more willing to splurge on it.

wipeout364

Edge is the only mag I buy every month its got great content, the only problem is its british so we get it late and their reviews are out of synch with NA release schedule.

Surprisingly Game Informer (its actually got a lot of content generally well written) is the second one and then if I feel like it PLAY.

I think EGM is crap now I used to like them but their reviews are so messed up and their features suck. As well why does it have so many editors to make a magazine with so little content?
If you buy OXM you only buy for the disc and throw the magazine away, PSM is painful to read its like their target audience is 12 year olds. OPM is ok but the fact that it is Playstation exclusive is why I don't buy it, I want info on all systems.

MoxManiac

EGM's reviews are horrible, but the rest of the magazine is decent. For free, anyways.

Anyone read that Hardcore Gamer mag? I've been curious about it.

FartOfWar

Banned
If you enjoyed what we did with CGW over the last year and especially the last six months, I'd say stick around and see whats next. I honestly don't think many people here read CGW in the first place to make a fair comparison. Either way, thanks for reading what you read. : )

Owzers

EGM for free, sometimes they have good issues....sometimes..... ( maybe the Halo 3 revamp issue will be a start of good things?)

Game Informer is the primary one I read, nice straightforward layout and exclusive previews.

g23

European pre-madonna
FartOfWar said:
If you enjoyed what we did with CGW over the last year and especially the last six months, I'd say stick around and see whats next. I honestly don't think many people here read CGW in the first place to make a fair comparison. Either way, thanks for reading what you read. : )

Yep, sent in my renewal by mail today :). I just realized how awesome your content was, especially the articles about MMO culture, gaming culture, etc... Felt more like a a TIME magazine filled with content on current news then just another mag which does reviews, previews, cover story, news, etc.

I can't wait whats next! And I will not miss out on your fist issue of GFW!

FartOfWar

Banned
g23 said:
Yep, sent in my renewal by mail today :). I just realized how awesome your content was, especially the articles about MMO culture, gaming culture, etc... Felt more like a a TIME magazine filled with content on current news then just another mag which does reviews, previews, cover story, news, etc.

I can't wait whats next! And I will not miss out on your fist issue of GFW!

Ha, I love it. For the final issue of CGW (which you ought to have in the mail now or next week) look forward to a super-fascinating survey of Chinese gaming culture (by the Village Voice's Ed Halter); an expose on outsourcing with input from Warren Spector, American McGee and his Shanghai contacts, and more; A look at impediments to non-violent interaction (not just the old market monkey on our backs but computational matters, interfaces, etc.); retrospective's from each of the mag's EICs past and present; all sorts of stuff.

Some people call it text heavy. We say its giving you something worth reading.

mollipen

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I like Hardcore Gamer Magazine. When I can find it at least. I used to love Gamefan a while back, and lots of those guys make HGM!

Uhh, no. You have two guys who were around at the very beginning of GameFan, who then left and weren't around for most of the magazine's life. You then have Terry, who was the artist for GameFan for a long time. That's it.

My vote would be for Play, but of course I'm biased, as it puts money in my pockets. *heh*

acr0nym said:
Anyone know of place to buy old Next Generation Magazines? Or view them online?

How many are you looking for? I've got a bunch of issues from #1 on, but I'd probably only want to get rid of them as one big set.

Is there a way to get EDGE in the USA for less than $134 a year? People complain about 50 bucks for Xbox Live and pay over a hundred bucks for a magazine? :lol

Ponn

Banned
PLAY has pretty pictures and some of their interviews and features are good. Don't trust Halverson or the reviews though.

Game Informer is worth it when they offer it to me at Gamestop for 10 bucks a year.

It's all about bathroom reading.

CO_Andy said:
Play Magazine. I dare anyone to name a magazine with a better layout or design.
I bought a Play once. It had so many typos and misspellings that I've never gone back.

Edge and EGM (I know) FTW. Game Informer is pretty good too.

Mar

A little extra info on why I like those two mags exclusively.

Retro Gamer:

It never ceases to amaze me when they do a feature on a game, you'll be reading it then get to a part that goes something like "oh and by the way, let's talk to the guy who made it". I have no idea how they get these old school gaming celebs (half of them still new school celebs working in new companies). But it's just so totally cool to hear from the guy who created one of your favourite games. For instance when they had a chat to the creator of the Ghosts n Goblins series in their feature on the games.

Its also incredibly interesting reading what happened to all these old developers and how they went bust or how they hit it big. And as mentioned, the guys that were actually there talking about it. I was a gamer back then, and had no idea about what went on behind the scenes. The gaming industry was (and still is) absolutely brutal.

The reviews. They do a really good job calling a lemon a lemon. They don't let nostalgia get in the way of a review. If a remake or sequel is released they review it for what it is. I really enjoyed the UGnG review. One of the only mags (like EDGE) that knows their shit when it comes to games (it scored a 91).

EDGE:

Only mag for the current gen worth reading in my opinion. They don't treat their audience like 5 year olds (probably because they aren't). The reviews are the best I've ever read. And the writing is the best I have ever seen in any magazine ever made, gaming or otherwise.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
I would recommend EGM and Game Informer if you're in the US. Outside, I'm not too sure.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Edge magazine, so someone is going to have to enlighten me. It's referenced a lot around here. European?

Chittagong

Gold Member
EDGE.

There's tons to read and it's not the usual hype-of-the-month, press-release-flowed-on-columns stuff you get with nearly all gaming magazines, but interesting takes on the industry, trends, game development and marketing. It's extremely well written, they get excellent interviews and magazine is beautifully laid out in an minimalist way. And printed on good paper too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
SantaC said:
you call that nostalgia? I raise you this.
ninten.jpg

Holy crap. I was actually in the page 3 credits for the Finnish edition of the mag from 1993 onwards. I used to do Pro's Corner, Box Mario and more.

Dahbomb

Gameinformer if you live in the US. If not, then Edge is the way to go. I live in the US and I am subscribed to GI, I haven't had the need to complain yet (though I am a recent member and recently GI has done quite well).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Chittagong said:
Holy crap. I was actually in the page 3 credits for the Finnish edition of the mag from 1993 onwards. I used to do Pro's Corner, Box Mario and more.

LET ME REACH OUT AND TOUCH YOU!!

I read the norwegian one though. But pro's corner was omfg-tastic. Reading it now makes all those old nes/snes games so epic. about how you had to take the key from the yellow house and give it to the boy with the glasses, ect. it was so epic. Usually if there where tips for games I didn't have I'd think of these games as if they where as epic as OoT shit!

I love you, your work is awe-inspiring for the masses!

Top Bottom