• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Me (Japanese) PS2 Games

Mub!

250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

does this count? have you played this?

imo this game is a masterpiece

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Back to the topic of Black / Matrix 2 was looking at my copy on my desk and wondering why my cover was different from the pic I had posted when going through this thread again. lol

518NWVDFCTL.jpg

Black / Matrix 2 - Another SRPG by Flightplan - first game was on the SS and PS1, though if you dont care about playing games in order its worth checking out.
This reminds me I need to get the PS1 version. As do not have a way to hook the SS back up to play atm with my current setup. So fear what the price might be for some reason though...

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-kgsQLh64

After looking it up apparently the one posted above is the "Best" version. Interesting that they actually did new art for it. As thats fairly rare with "Best" versions of the game.

From a design standpoint honestly the balance of the artwork is better on the "Best" version. Heres the original is below. Though the problem with the colors used gets in the way of the game title graphic...

Kinda makes me want to waste $$$ just to get the best version also to collect.

Aizo

Banned
Uh, oh. Making me want to make a "Recommend Me (Japanese) PS1 Games," because my brother and I had an N64 when I was growing up. I missed out on tons of games, I'm sure.
250px-OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

does this count? have you played this?

imo this game is a masterpiece
I have the PS3 HD remake, but I haven't beaten it... I know I'm bad. I play games very slowly, because I have a lot of other hobbies, too. hahaha
This.

Curious why this popped up so late in the replies.
Tell me more!

Parakeetman

Uh, oh. Making me want to make a "Recommend Me (Japanese) PS1 Games," because my brother and I had an N64 when I was growing up. I missed out on tons of games, I'm sure.

I have the PS3 HD remake, but I haven't beaten it... I know I'm bad. I play games very slowly, because I have a lot of other hobbies, too. hahaha

Tell me more!

Its a good SRPG. Not as character intensive as FM4 was. Though personally I liked FM4 over 5. You could get hilariously OP in 4. They seemed to have toned that down in 5 with some of the gameplay changes. Story was more straight forward also. Where some folks didnt like 4 due to how it starts off being 2 separate stories that you play at the same time as you progress in the game.

Not sure if you are into lets play vids, but this should give you a general idea about the game. Have not watched this myself, but appears to be a decent collection of videos. Plus whoever is doing the vid doesnt have a voice / horrible "acting" that makes you want to eat a bullet either which is nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-0Xn2K5sQ4&list=PLhnce2Cs9CTVZAAkE6nZ-UYNFELZzWQ-p

The PS1 era is insane as there is WAAAAAAAY too much stuff there. Even to this day I still find all sorts of new shit that I have never seen before. Its crazy.

If you are into collecting look for the Front Mission History box set. Contains 1-3 in it along with some figures. Check the amazon link below. While the new one is highly priced there are used copies apparently, though you will have to read through the descs.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0000DZ0VB/

Not my pic

Not sure how hardcore of a Kings Field fan, but there is a Kings Field collection also available, but its a bit pricey since it was kinda rare.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000KE7H16/
gKcUv.jpg

mackmoney

I second the JPN version of Onimusha Dawn of Dreams. It's my favorite Onimusha game and preferred over the US version.

Unless the JPN version of a Western release is the definitive version, please refrain from posting PS2 titles that have been released stateside. The thread is asking for JPS2 recommendations, not US PS2 recommendations. Some of us own both and actually are interested in identifying any JPS2 games - exclusives or definitives - that they may have missed out on.

Aizo

Banned
You should read the first sentence of the OP haha.

I wanted it to lean towards Japanese games, because that's what I'll be able to find the easiest and what I felt I probably know the least, but I'm cool with any recommendations for people's favorite PS2 games.

takoyaki

thought of another interesting PS2 game that never left Japan. It's an Enix game called 'Endonesia' (エンドネシア).

The game is hard to describe, maybe just watch some Youtube videos. I'd put it in the 'charming, weird little games' category like Chulip or MOON RPG on PS1.

5195r8ww4slwdkot.jpg
4988601003469uf2jqj.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Update:
I ordered DaiOuJou and a Pop'n Music controller, but then, because my TV doesn't have component input, I had to wait for Amazon to ship me a composite cable. It finally arrived today, so I tried out Pop'n Music 10 for a little bit, which I picked up in Shibuya while I was there for a show.

Very fun. I was sad that I could only beat one 9 button song, so I'm starting with 5, like a pleb. I don't know if my previous TV ran old games nicer, or if this game just looks... blurry, but it is not so pretty. Messed with settings and made it look a bit better, but I have a feeling that this is the best my TV can do. I doubt I'll buy another SD TV, too... It's not that bad, but kanji becomes a bit harder to read.

Taruranto

Xz5pw0w.jpg

It's a very weird, controversial game, a female take on Lord of the Flies, using Brothers Grimm fairy-tales as an inspiration for many scenarios.

The gameplay is very clunky slow, the hitbox are borderline terrible, but it somewhat work for the kind of game and story it wants to tell (If Jennifer was fast and reactive would she have been Jennifer? A lot of fans ponder...).

It's not very scary, as it is depressing and macabre.

It has wonderful, atmospherics music (It game oozes a 1940 post-war England atmosphere, the one you find in good mystery novels from the golden age) and I can't stretch it enough, a very unique story as far videogames are concerned. It's rare as hell in EU since very few copies were distributed.

Parakeetman

Update:
I ordered DaiOuJou and a Pop'n Music controller, but then, because my TV doesn't have component input, I had to wait for Amazon to ship me a composite cable. It finally arrived today, so I tried out Pop'n Music 10 for a little bit, which I picked up in Shibuya while I was there for a show.

Very fun. I was sad that I could only beat one 9 button song, so I'm starting with 5, like a pleb. I don't know if my previous TV ran old games nicer, or if this game just looks... blurry, but it is not so pretty. Messed with settings and made it look a bit better, but I have a feeling that this is the best my TV can do. I doubt I'll buy another SD TV, too... It's not that bad, but kanji becomes a bit harder to read.

Very cool that you managed to grab pop'n music. Your situation with the tv reminds me of what I worry about when I eventually get back to hooking the SFC up. D:

Aizo

Banned
Are most of the songs unlockable? Doesn't seem like 10 has many songs from the beginning. Maybe there is something I don't know. Also, do they typically have story modes or some special single player mode? I don't know why I would want to play arcade over free mode right now.

Parakeetman

Are most of the songs unlockable? Doesn't seem like 10 has many songs from the beginning. Maybe there is something I don't know. Also, do they typically have story modes or some special single player mode? I don't know why I would want to play arcade over free mode right now.

Gfaqs have some codes to temporarily unlock things. Outside of that to make them permanent you need to do it the normal way.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/924391-popn-music-10/cheats

10's unlock system is dumb, after you clear arcade mode it'll basically just give you a slot machine that'll randomly decide if/what you unlock

also not sure if 10's like this but there are some pop'n games that basically give you a "for beginners" songlist in enjoy mode. iirc you can hit both yellow buttons to open up the songlist then use the green buttons to change categories. or just play challenge mode and don't use any quotas.

I consider 8-10's to be particularly annoying considering they're basically entirely luck based (10's is probably the worst, 8 and 9 are via dice roll so you're at least always making progress, but with 10 you either get something or you don't). iirc everything before that uses primarily time unlocks? And then from 11 on the unlock systems generally let you make pretty consistent progress (even if 11's takes a long time), so i've always found those less frustrating lol.

but yeah, as mentioned there are codes to unlock songs, but unfortunately they have to be entered every time you return to the title screen. It seems like there's still a pretty substantial default songlist, so yeah, make sure on Normal Mode you hit both yellow buttons so you're not stuck with the beginner songlist and can change categories.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, it is total bullshit, because I've played arcade twice now, and I got nothing. Why is it being stingy right at the beginning?

Aizo

Banned
Not yet!! I haven't been playing games much lately, and the new Taiko comes out this Thursday, so I figured I won't have much game time for a bit :( Honestly, I take forever to beat games, because I have a lot of other hobbies. This makes me worry about Summon Night, as it's not a super short game.

I feel like I wanted to post something in here recently... Maybe about how small the pop n music controller is. Hahah

I was in my beloved Kawasaki Warehouse yesterday, so it was making me think of 九龍妖魔学園紀!

Parakeetman

Not yet!! I haven't been playing games much lately, and the new Taiko comes out this Thursday, so I figured I won't have much game time for a bit :( Honestly, I take forever to beat games, because I have a lot of other hobbies. This makes me worry about Summon Night, as it's not a super short game.

I feel like I wanted to post something in here recently... Maybe about how small the pop n music controller is. Hahah

I was in my beloved Kawasaki Warehouse yesterday, so it was making me think of 九龍妖魔学園紀!

hahaha 九龍妖魔学園紀 is a fantastic game seriously. but it yeah lots of text. most def one of the most original japanese rpgs I have ever played though.

Parakeetman

Bet it would take me eons to beat. How long is it on average?

Am pretty sure it would take a while also, since of all the story stuff takes a bit. My friend can burn through it pretty fast, but hes super familiar with the game now lol.

I dont recall what the average playtime is though D:

If you get Summon Night 3 do you have a vita? While it may cost more a digital copy on the vita you can play it in bursts which works due to suspend. Where on the PS2 its a bit harder to do if there are long story periods. Dont remember if you could save in the middle of those.

Aizo

Banned
I do have a vita, but isn't it nicer looking on ps2? Did I already ask if the PSP one has extra features?

Parakeetman

I do have a vita, but isn't it nicer looking on ps2? Did I already ask if the PSP one has extra features?

They improved features that made it a bit easier to play if I remember correctly. Such as how you level up and such I think.

I played through it on both. Just depends on what you want to play it on. Though most def for being able to stop when you need to the Vita / psp ver is the way to go.

If its budget wise you might as well go with the PS2 one.

Gekisha Boy 2 (aka Polaroid Pete)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN-ZP_UB0aE

sequel to the PCE title which also was ported on PS1 later, released also in UE as Polaroid Pete, not in the NA

Chikyuu Boueigun (aka Earth Defense Force 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNnbx2fsXE

EDF !!! EDF !!! EDF !!! Also released in UE as Global Defence Force, in my opinion is still the best EDF ever made (the game is also available on PSP and PSV)

Remote Control Dandy SF (JP only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2AYMwtopK4

from the same team who made EDF, control a mech in every aspect (body, arms, legs) and fight against other robots

SEGA Ages 2500 vol.33 - Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (JP only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-FEvgox20

The name already explains everything, if you look for Fantasy Zone this is the compilaton you must have.

SEGA Ages 2500 vol.25 - Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (JP only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr5_ldUhmIA

Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier: the holy Treasure trinity on Megadrive in one single cd

SEGA Ages 2500 vol.32 - Phantasy Star Complete Collection (JP only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qdAiLGMxI

Phantasy Star from I to IV, completely playable in english

Top Bottom