• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Me (Japanese) PS2 Games

Aizo

Banned
Now, they don't need to be Japan exclusives or anything, although that would be preferred, but I'm wondering if there are any games I should be sure to pick up on PS2 at some point--games I may have missed or forgotten about.

Keep in mind that games you may think are quite rare and expensive in other parts of the world are cheaper than ¥1000 (less than 6 quid or 10 bucks), so feel free to recommend games that are sometimes out of reach (Suikoden titles, for example). The exceptions are Beatmania games (I saw Empress for ¥18000 today. Insane) and Outrun 2006, which is actually more expensive than in the West by a lot.

I have a few Dragon Quests, including V, and I have no need to pick up any Taiko games because a friend has 'em.

Right now, I've got my eyes on Siren, Kino no Tabi, Killer7, Berserk, Silent Hill 2, and Suikoden III.

I'm open to any genre. What should I make sure to grab?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
latest

Grand strategy in the Gundam world, spanning about a decade.

RyType

Highly reccomend giving shadow tower abyss a try. its made by from software, the guys who did dark souls/bloodborne. Was tricky figuring out what items do but it's one of my favourite ever ps2 games.

Aters

Speaking of strategy games, Berwick Saga. Made by the father of Fire Emblem. Deep system and great story.

ranmafan

latest

Grand strategy in the Gundam world, spanning about a decade.

This is a fantastic game to get. This series has always been a ton of fun.

There are a bunch of great Super Robot Taisen games to get such as Impact, MX, and Alpha 3. Also Ring of Red is a fun one to try.

I'll second Shadow Tower: Abyss. Fantastic atmosphere, easily From's best first person dungeon crawler. Be sure to change the control scheme if you do play it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Go find this.

Thank or Curse me later lol

Culdcept II = Monopoly + Magic the Gathering + Asshole AI

first stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJqevWFF3yY

This aint going to be cheap let alone easy to find in stores, but well worth it. If you can understand Japanese that is. As there are a lot of reading involved, but highly unique game.

771842-recharge.jpg

Kowloon Youma Gakuenki re:charge - is basically a unique dungeon crawler (first person) and visual novel. Quite possibly one of the most highly rated JRPG titles by hardcore JP players. Though as mentioned there is a lot of text, for both the story and puzzles in the game itself.
Opening (very cowboy bebop style as you might have noticed, though not from the same time period in terms of anime vs. this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lgGAxGQNc)

Prologue / shows gameplay also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roTsXV33RdM

This game would be quite hard to find in used stores, if by some stroke of luck it is chances are it will be behind glass and with a high price tag on it. Check amazon marketplace for it, but its not going to be cheap unfortunately. Sits around 4.3k used
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000GQGVI8/

Metal Saga was released in the West also I do believe, but great game regardless. Basically post apoc JRPG with tanks and dogs w/ guns lol. Fantastic game though. Hard to find used in stores unless lucky.

Promo vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMV--jvTeW4

Random single battle vs wanted boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVbaDylxDU

Shiggy

Wasn't there a game by CING (Glass Rose)? Must have been a good game if it was by CING.

Edit: Oh it was released in Europe. And apparently it was bad.

takoyaki

Hungry Ghosts is an interesting survival horror meets Kings Field kind of game

hg_jap_cover_frontjtxc0.jpg

if you like Visual Novels, there’s the Kamaitachi games, Hayarigami games, Fuuraiki games, etc.

there’s also the weird stuff like Seaman 2 and a bunch of rhythm games.

DiGiKerot

Maybe I'll think of something else when I skim my shelves at home, but SEGA AM2 developed a Macross game for Bandai for the PS2 that I remember being particularly rad, if you are open to games about transforming anime robot fighter planes.

Parakeetman

Tenkabito a personal favorite. Real time strategy + watch the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4y4PAFSSE

If you got 30 mins to spare. No idea how accurate this is now though lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAxRRYGHHu4

Summon Night 3 + 4 (fuck that trainwreck which is known as 5) When you play these two you will understand what I mean.
Fantastic Visual Novel + SRPGs you can even go back to Summon Night 1 & 2 also if you really wanted the PS1 versions. As the DS versions removed the voices.

Dragon Shadow Spell
Great SRPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWpFl42D8uo

halfbeast

Banned
Demento (Haunting Ground) and Rule of Rose are probably cheaper in japan, I think the former has english audio and the latter you'll need a walkthrough anyway.

and as always:

42591_front.jpg

it's a doa xtreme-like mini-game collection... on acid!

zulux21

final fantasy and dragon quest in itadaki street special.

it's basically japanese monopoly but way better than regular monopoly.

Aizo

Banned
dodonpachi daioujou
Thanks for the reminder!! It's the one DoDonPachi I haven't gotten to play extensively!!
Tenkabito a personal favorite. Real time strategy + watch the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4y4PAFSSE

If you got 30 mins to spare. No idea how accurate this is now though lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAxRRYGHHu4

Summon Night 3 + 4 (fuck that trainwreck which is known as 5) When you play these two you will understand what I mean.

Dragon Shadow Spell
I see Summon Night at Bookoff all the time, but I'm unfamiliar. What's special about them?

Parakeetman

Thanks for the reminder!! It's the one DoDonPachi I haven't gotten to play extensively!!

I see Summon Night at Bookoff all the time, but I'm unfamiliar. What's special about them?

Really good narrative based SRPGs. Fantastic cast and lots of extra stuff to do. Though game really is narrative heavy.

Though only downside is if you do not understand Japanese will take away from a lot of the story scenes / character interactions.

The games are fully voiced also for all of the events. Summon Night 3 has the most insane amount of characters too in it.

And 4 the setting of being an owner of a inn / restaurant is interesting due to the odd minigames lol.

Both really are great SRPGs if you are into that though.

Bunch of stuff for you to watch if interested.
SK3 playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu_9EQvrDJto0ShFIomtMGaug7LKQp9KI

SK4 playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8985B17D738CD591

zulux21

Any of these games has been fan-translated?

final fantasy and dragon quest in itadaki street special has a fan translation that is enough to play the game without needing to look up anything but far from complete as it leaves all the chatter between characters untranslated as well as all the area names (they aren't super important just hard to tell what happens when a random area gets hit from time to time.)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The SEGA AGES collections are good since they usually have the options to play in English. Phantasy Star, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Fantasy Zone, and Monster World being standouts.

If you're into the Tales series and don't mind playing RPGs in Japanese, there's Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny R, and Tales of Destiny 2. There's also remakes of Phantasy Star 1 and 2, but PS1's remake has questionable music changes, PS2's has questionable character design changes.

For shmups, ESPGaluda is a true standout, one of my favorites ever, and Ibara is also pretty well-regarded (I'm not a huge fan personally). Mushihime-sama if you'd rather play that on console than PC.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dodonpachi Daioujou

151589-Dodonpachi_Dai-Ou-Jou_(Japan)-1.jpg

A great port of a great shooter. Worlds better than the kinda crappy port we got on the 360.

I'd also recommend King of Fighters XI, which has 480p in the Japanese release, but not the US one. It's still one of my favorite fighters ever.

Also, Beatmania IIDX, though the PS2 games are prohibitively expensive at this point.

Aizo

Banned
Lots of unique games I've never even heard of being mentioned here, so that's really cool! I'm also just open to generally any great PS2 era games that are absolute must-plays, but all these hidden gems are quite interesting.

Aizo

Banned
Demento (Haunting Ground) and Rule of Rose are probably cheaper in japan, I think the former has english audio and the latter you'll need a walkthrough anyway.

and as always:

42591_front.jpg

it's a doa xtreme-like mini-game collection... on acid!

Chain Dive, then!

I'd appreciate it if people could describe the games they're recommending a bit and say what they like about them!
Another Century's Episode 3
Espgaluda
Earth Defense Force 2
Is ACE actually good, or people just like all the mech fan service? I remember playing a small amount years ago and not being impressed.

Parakeetman

The STG games are usually fairly expensive even used so watch out for that. No idea why for example Ibara is usually over 10k

About ACE, its more for fans of mech series. If you dont care about that doubt you would get much enjoyment out of it. Though the third one was much better than for example if you played the first one, which was not good.

Aizo

Banned
The STG games are usually fairly expensive even used so watch out for that. No idea why for example Ibara is usually over 10k
Yeah, luckily, I've played most of them at game centers or borrowed them. DaiOuJou is one of the few I haven't gotten to play much.

You're so knowledgable about J games. Any more interesting recommendations? Top 10 ps2 games?

Danny Dudekisser

Ibara, I think, is probably a genuinely rare game. That thing disappeared pretty quickly after it launched. It's silly that the game's so expensive, because it's a crappy port.

Dodonpachi Daioujou and Espgaluda, while fairly pricey, have earned their price tags. Those are two exceptionally well-crafted ports that offer some really cool new features over the arcade versions.

Parakeetman

Yeah, luckily, I've played most of them at game centers or borrowed them. DaiOuJou is one of the few I haven't gotten to play much.

You're so knowledgable about J games. Any more interesting recommendations? Top 10 ps2 games?

It depends on what you would be looking for exactly? Like what kind of genres do you enjoy. Since that would help suggestions and such. Also what kind of price range you have, would also help suggestions lol since some PS2 stuff is stupid expensive depending

Ibara, I think, is probably a genuinely rare game. That thing disappeared pretty quickly after it launched. It's silly that the game's so expensive, because it's a crappy port.

Dodonpachi Daioujou and Espgaluda, while fairly pricey, have earned their price tags. Those are two exceptionally well-crafted ports that offer some really cool new features over the arcade versions.

Thankfully I have all 3 picked them up at launch but was damned surprised to see prices when was curious about it and poked around.

Had bought Ibara on a whim too since played it in the arcades a few times and liked it.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh, another recommendation:

67340_front.jpg

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. Yeah, it came out in the US, but Capcom fucked with the difficulty in the US version and made enemies stupid powerful, and gave them a shitload of life so that bosses took like 10 or 15 minutes to kill. It was stupid.

The Japanese version has none of that nonsense -- it's the game, as intended. And it has an English language option. It's basically the lost Onimusha.

Parakeetman

67340_front.jpg

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. Yeah, it came out in the US, but Capcom fucked with the difficulty in the US version and made enemies stupid powerful, and gave them a shitload of life so that bosses took like 10 or 15 minutes to kill. It was stupid.

The Japanese version has none of that nonsense -- it's the game, as intended. And it has an English language option. It's basically the lost Onimusha.

Isnt that the Ayu commercial one? lol The weird thing is for whatever reason that character wound up in the onimusha pachinko machines when hardly anyone even remembers that game in the series

Danny Dudekisser

Oh yeah, another game that might be worth considering the Japanese version of:

885387-parappa2jp2.jpg

If you don't already have it, the Japanese version is uncensored. The US version had some edits involving alcohol and religion. So edgy!

Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but uh... yeah.

halfbeast

Banned
I'd appreciate it if people could describe the games they're recommending a bit and say what they like about them!

I'm guessing you mean the first two I mentioned? they're both survival horror games similar to clock tower or silent hill. they're not in the same league as silent hill 2 but have other redeeming qualities (funny enough both partner up with a dog). demento has satisfying gameplay (imo) and a panic meter instead of health while rule of rose has super creepy cutscenes and a beautiful soundtrack but crap combat.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFXII International Zodiac Job System

Turns an ok game into a pretty good, refined jrpg. There is an English patch available if you care to get it.

Parakeetman

I'm not in a position to personally verify the quality of any of these games, but this guy on GameFAQs has a bunch of lists of PS2 (and PS1) Japan-only games that range into the amazingly obscure, and several sound quite interesting. Worth a look at least.

That is a pretty good list. Though as usual most of those are hard to find in used stores unless you get lucky or go to places known to have more rare stuff behind cases. Would also suggest doing research on your own in regards to if said listed titles are even worth picking up or not. Since sometimes there are reasons why something never left the country lol

7 is fairly common though. If one is getting 7 might as well pick up Venus & Braves also. Same world. Both games highly stressful lol. Also VB was released on the PSP with additional content that PS2 ver does not have.

Story for Venus & Braves is interesting since you play basically something close to an immortal so as time passes your comrades pass away from age, plays into the story also. But the game is quite difficult due to how its designed, so may take a while to get used to the gameflow before you will make good progress.

250px-Venus%26Bravescover.png

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgfS2GWjMks

If you like micromanaging and hating yourself then yeah Armodyne is cool. At least its not as insane as the Carnage Hearts series though. That shit is something else with all of the AI "programming" you do with the chips and such.

Opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFkU-3AuVM

Gameplay trailer
lol had no idea duckroll had a yt chan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBwaVMUrMo

And for the usual D3 pub off the wall insanity old cult classic. Imagine Godzilla in a Bikini...
The Daibijin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbbqC4oSKA

That gfaqs list posted earlier reminded me of Sacred Blaze also, which was another SRPG I own / had enjoyed. The fact that it was done by Flight Plan helped greatly also as their titles back in the PS 1 / 2 era was good stuff.

Sacred_Blaze_Cover.jpg

Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu_9EQvrDJtocYAa-8m1_SRRwkxsEqVMA
Opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSJqhLEcGA&index=1&list=PLu_9EQvrDJtocYAa-8m1_SRRwkxsEqVMA
Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRTH_ho50y4&list=PLu_9EQvrDJtocYAa-8m1_SRRwkxsEqVMA&index=2

KiN0

SMT 3: nocturne. Dark, oppressive atmosphere with a really unique story premise. The difficulty curve is pretty steep, but it's manageable.

Aizo

Banned

67340_front.jpg

I dropped the American version last year because the English voices hurt my ears, but I put in a lot hours when it first came out. It annoyed me that I was leveled so highly, but I would still get destroyed sometimes. Nice to hear the Japanese one wasn't this way. I doubt I'd go through the effort to of starting all over, though.
FFXII International Zodiac Job System

Turns an ok game into a pretty good, refined jrpg. There is an English patch available if you care to get it.
I really liked FFXII vanilla, personally. I've thought about picking up zodiac to play again, but I am holding off until an HD remake!
Zombies Vs The Ambulance, part of the Simple 2000 series. It's basically an addicting Crazy Taxi clone.
I remember seeing that on xplay when I was a kid!

Aizo

Banned
I decided to make this its own post, because I wrote too much. Sorry! haha
It depends on what you would be looking for exactly? Like what kind of genres do you enjoy. Since that would help suggestions and such. Also what kind of price range you have, would also help suggestions lol since some PS2 stuff is stupid expensive depending
I'm honestly pretty open to whatever. I guess I'm not too into JRPGs that take many many hours. I can enjoy them, but I just don't have a ton of time to put into gaming in general. A genre I've never been able to get into would be dungeon crawlers, but I would be open to playing one that's not very long if it's good.

The games I've enjoyed the most would include the following. These are all games that really sunk their teeth into me far more than other things I've played. It's an eclectic list, so I'm not sure what the pattern is at all—maybe you'd have a better idea than I would.

The games are Oblivion, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou (not really my favorite STG, even, but I played it a lot), Taiko no Tatsujin (many versions, including arcade), F-zero GX, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, Fire Emblem: Awakening, The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Age: Origins, Smash Bros. Brawl, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Mega Man Zero 2, Beautiful Katamari, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Minecraft, NieR, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, SSX Tricky... that's all I can think of now.

I also have a very subjectively influenced soft spot for 3D and 2D beat 'em ups, and I have no idea why.

My dream game would probably be a 3D action RPG with tight combat, lots of upgrades, and deep, fleshed out characters to learn about, and rich atmosphere—like a deeper, longer version of NieR with everything it does pushed to 11. My nightmare game would be slowpaced, lack any sort deep characters or story and require a ton of grinding. There are games that I don't really care about the story or characters that are just great fun to play, like Vanquish, but that's because they're so damn fun and fast.

In the end, I don't really know if this post will help you at all. haha. If you're curious about the games I play/like, you can check my backloggery. I used to play a ton of games and not sleep much, but I don't play that often and sleep more now—this makes long games a huge hassle for me.

Top Bottom