• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me ps2 imports!

polg

ok, as my bday is approaching, I've decided that this year's present to mylsef (as I have no friends and my family doesn't talk to me... like most gamers) I'll mod my PSTwo and import some goodness.

Here are my first picks:

PA.05294.009.jpg

We don't have this one in Pal-land

garoumarkofthewolves.jpg

Fighting goodness

PA.59755.001.jpg

New sprites YAY!

PA.51466.009.jpg

love shmups

Now I have a question. I've played KOF 2002 on my LCD screen and it looked like sh1t. But... KOF does look like sh1t by default because they are 1994 graphics. Will I have the same problem with garou or sf3? Does getting a component cable make a difference?

I might even import the first Katamari... once I finish the psp one...

no point in importing katamari

try out super robot wars if you like anime robots and strategy games
Summon night 3 if you like strategy games
Summon night ex thesis, if you want a cute zelda-esque fix
Sakura taisen are always fun
DDR/ beatmania if you like music games
Tales games
Puyo puyo fever 1/chu if you like puzzle games

Link1110

Puyo puyo fever 1/chu if you like puzzle games

Well, PPF 1 came here for Gamecube and DS, so I'd go with PPF2, though be warned, its pretty much the same with a few more options

The gay skeleton's conversation with Raffine is awesome

Raffine: Have you seen a prince around here?
Oshare Bones: Prince? No.
Raffine; Would you tell me if you did?
Oshare Bones: No.
Raffine: What? Why not?
Oshare Bones: Because all the princes in the world are m-i-n-e.
Raffine: You stupid sack of bones.

I wish they used him more, though. He runs a shop (The Oshare Shop,) but he doesn't say anything in it.

Tain

Localization choices have come a long way this gen.

The only things I feel I need my import PS2 for are shmups, beatmania IIDX, and Earth Defense Force 2.

PAL situation could be very different, though.

Soul4ger

I wholeheartedly recommend a bunch of the Sega Ages games. They're cheap, and ****ing awesame-o.

Dragon Force
Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box
Panzer Dragoon
and Dynamite Deka

Are far and away my favorites. BUT YOU CAN MIX AND MATCH MOTHER****ER.

JCX

Kind of Hijacking the thread, but do any Japanese Gaffers know of a game called Chain dive? I played a demo of it and thought it was very fun. Is it worth importing?

Matt_C

Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection and Street Fighter Zero: Fighters Generations.

The best two 2d fighters not called Street Fighter 3: Third Strike for the Playstation 2. Guilty Gear X2 #Dash comes a near fourth place ;)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so you already have Garou, KOF XI (comes out the 22nd), and SF3 Third Strike on the list (I'd recommend getting the American Street Fighter Anniversary Collection instead; it's cheap and you get Hyper SF2 as well). Here's some more recommendations from the 2D fighting vein:

PA.26267.003.jpg

Vampire Darstalkers Collection- Contains all five DS arcade games, plus secret games for Vampire Savior, Savior 2, and Hunter 2, with the entire cast playable, and one "new" character, Dee.

PA.43167.001.jpg

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuten- Combines all the SS games and cast into one huge fighting extravaganza! Huge roster, six different play styles (based on all the SS games), and tons of game play make Tenkaichi Kenkakuten the best SS game ever made. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
sstselect5cc.jpg
sstiroha14od.jpg

sstcham19bw.jpg
sstnico14fq.jpg

PA.44060.001.jpg

Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum- Tag-team fighter featuring fighters from KOF, Fatal Fury, Art Of Fighting, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown, World Heroes, Metal Slug, and more! Plays great and feels a bit different than other SNK fighters; the only drawback to this game is that the PS2 version's load times are a bit on the long side, at around 13-19 seconds to load up fights. If you play survival mode in 1P, the load times are extrememly short, and in versus mode, you can make the fights last longer by playing in the tag mode, where both fighters have to lose for the round to be over. Despite the long load times, this game is still awesome and also highly recommended.
ngbchaohgenj8us.jpg
ngbcaof8yl.jpg
ngbcselect1yz.jpg
ngbctungsuper2db.jpg

PA.28017.003.jpg

The King Of Fighters Neowave- I wrote a review last year, which you can find here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57446&highlight=king+fighters+neowave
Awesome game, especially if you want a more old-school style KOF; this is like '98 and 2002, but better.

neowavegeese2go.jpg
neowaveclock21wr.jpg

PA.21727.007.jpg

The Rumblefish- Unique in that the game is a cel-shaded 2D fighter (I can only think of one other game that is like this); visually, the RF looks great and plays pretty well too. The roster is a bit on the small side, at 12 characters total (three of which are hidden), but each character plays differently enough and moves at different paces to make the cast feel diverse. Worth checking out. It's too bad the sequel doesn't seem to be getting a home version. :(

Lyte Edge

PA.55466.001.jpg

Guilty Gear XX SLASH- The latest Guilty Gear XX upgrade. Features two added characters, Order Sol and A.B.A., plus the usual upgrade tweaks, new/changed moves, and some new and altered stages and music.

PA.51488.002.jpg

Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (Power Instinct Matrimelee upgrade)
I made an impressions thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthr...light=Shin+Gouketsuji+Ichizoku:+Bonnou+Kaihou
Fun fighting game with some wacky characters and humor.

PA.55460.001.jpg

The King Of Fighters Maximum Impact 2- I made a thread on this a few months back; the summary of it, with screenshots, can be found here: http://fhgforum.free-forums.org/fhgforum-about16.html

This game is loaded with characters and extras/fanservice; definitely recommended! The game is much-improved over the original, with better game play, including a new parry system, similar to The Last Blade.
metalslug11av.jpg
characterselect3xf.jpg

geeseterry6ey.jpg
lienmaxima9pg.jpg

PA.53389.002.jpg

Spectral Vs. Generation- This is a very old-school style fighting game (it literally looks like something from 1995) that brings together characters from the S.RPG/RPG games Spectral Force and Generation Of Chaos. It's decent enough, but I'd get everything else over this one first. A PSP port of this game is also coming out in the summer.

PA.59162.002.jpg

Street Fighter Zero Fighters' Generation- Info here:
http://fhgforum.free-forums.org/fhgforum-about45.html
You get Street Fighter Zero, Zero 2, Alpha 2, Zero 2 Alpha, Zero 3, Zero 3 Upper, Pocket Fighter, and new unlockable game HYPER Street Fighter Zero, which combines all the Zero/Alpha games together, in addition to having ISMs based on SF3, the Marvel games, and Darkstalkers. Good stuff!

There's also KOF Orochi Collection (KOF '95-'97), and AOF Collection (AOF 1-3). KOF NESTS Collection (KOF '99 Evolution-2001) is also coming out soon, with Fatal Fury Collection Vol. 1 (FF1-3) following it soon after. Just make sure to AVOID The Last Blade Collection; it's a terrible port.

For non-fighting games, check out:

-Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (GH, Alien Soldier, and Dynamite Headdy)
-The Earth Defense Force 2 (Simple 2000 series)
-The Oneechanbara 2 (Simple 2000 series)
-Twinkle Star Sprites La Petite Princess (unique shooter/puzzle game hybrid)

I can think of some more if you want; there's tons of games out there worth checking out!

polg

Lyte Edge said:
PA.43167.001.jpg

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuten- Combines all the SS games and cast into one huge fighting extravaganza! Huge roster, six different play styles (based on all the SS games), and tons of game play make Tenkaichi Kenkakuten the best SS game ever made. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
sstselect5cc.jpg
sstiroha14od.jpg

sstcham19bw.jpg
sstnico14fq.jpg

that looks hot...
and... SF2 AC seems to be sold out at PA... might buy SF3 anyway... I already have SF on snes and gba...

LegatoB

polg said:
ok, as my bday is approaching, I've decided that this year's present to mylsef (as I have no friends and my family doesn't talk to me... like most gamers) I'll mod my PSTwo and import some goodness.

Here are my first picks:

[Third Strike]

[Mark of the Wolves]
Fighting goodness
If you've got a dreamcast, do yourself a favor and look into importing the DC ports of these games. Odds are you can find the American and Japanese versions for less than $20 a piece, unless the resale value for old Dreamcast games has completely skyrocketed while I had my back turned. If you have a CD burner, you can make a boot disc to run import games on your DC very easily.

Oh, if you're really into 3S, apparently the DC version is "f***ed up" compared to the other versions (or so say the truly hardcore), but I doubt it's worth the huge difference in price between the DC and PS2 release. Hell, if you want it on PS2, just get the US Street Fighter Aniv. Collection - it's got SF2 and 3S for $20 retail.

[KOF XI]
New sprites YAY!
Tons of fun in the arcades. Buy this.

Now I have a question. I've played KOF 2002 on my LCD screen and it looked like sh1t. But... KOF does look like sh1t by default because they are 1994 graphics. Will I have the same problem with garou or sf3? Does getting a component cable make a difference?
If your TV can take it, use component input. It's way better most of the other input options.

As for the other games recommended in this thread:
Worth Buying for Full Price (if you're a fan of the series(es) involved):
Samsho Tenka
NGBC
MI2

Not worth full price, but still OK games:
Super Guilty Gear XX Turbo
Vampire Collection
SFZ Collection

I wouldn't bother with:
Spectral vs Generation
Rumblefish
unless you can find them for like $20 or less.

Is really just KOF 2002 but uglier, which you can probably already have anyway:
KOF: Neowave

Lyte Edge

Polg, over everything else, I would get Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, Samurai Spirits TK, and KOF XI. Those three are the best fighting games to come out of SNK in YEARS and YEARS, certainly since the old SNK "died" and the new SNK took its place. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is also a must-have fighter if you don't have that. I love Maximum Impact 2, but KOF XI is far better.

LegatoB said:
If you've got a dreamcast, do yourself a favor and look into importing the DC ports of these games. Odds are you can find the American and Japanese versions for less than $20 a piece, unless the resale value for old Dreamcast games has completely skyrocketed while I had my back turned. If you have a CD burner, you can make a boot disc to run import games on your DC very easily.

It's not worth it anymore with better versions of almost every 2D DC fighting game now available on the PS2. Garou is also better on the PS2; the DC version suffers from streamed audio loading off the disc, so the voices can get "off" when playing. The PS2 version does not have this problem.

Oh, if you're really into 3S, apparently the DC version is "f***ed up" compared to the other versions (or so say the truly hardcore), but I doubt it's worth the huge difference in price between the DC and PS2 release. Hell, if you want it on PS2, just get the US Street Fighter Aniv. Collection - it's got SF2 and 3S for $20 retail.

For the hardcore players, the DC version is based off a later revision of the game, so some stuff is missing compared to the arcade version they're used to, and there's also animation missing here and there. It's really not worth bothering with the DC version, when you can get the PS2 version, which IS better, cheap anyway. You can even switch the version to the later revision that the DC version was based off of, although most people don't bother with that.

Is really just KOF 2002 but uglier, which you can probably already have anyway:
KOF: Neowave

Haha, NO. No, the game is not "just KOF 2002 but uglier." The roster is only a little different, but the game play has been changed, due to the added play style types. It also plays tighter than 2002 did. Polg also mentioned that he thought 2002 looked ugly; Neowave has better-looking backgrounds, and you can adjust the level of sprite filtering, to get a better picture.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
JCX9 said:
Kind of Hijacking the thread, but do any Japanese Gaffers know of a game called Chain dive? I played a demo of it and thought it was very fun. Is it worth importing?

If you can find it for cheap. The full game's pacing is pretty poor, with about a 30/70 split of excellent stages that really play up to the controls and inexplicably dull ones that don't, and the endless talking heads cutscenes are a drag. If you can deal with the game being flawed overall, though, when it works it's a lot of fun (apart from the slingshot mechanics being pretty random, which defeats the purpose of trying to play it for skill).

Acosta

Profiting we are asking as well names of japanese games... anyones remembers a game that was supposed to be a fighting game with anime style videos attacks? Each one you attacked a video was diplayed showing you attacak.

I know that PCFX has a game like that, but the one I´m asking is one for PS2, anyone has an idea?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so, can anyone say any great vertical shooters for PS2? I love those games, yet I don't have any. :( and I live in pal-land. :((

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You said you liked shmups... have you got ESPGaluda yet? An absolutely fantastic title...

Also, Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth if you like RPGs.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the cave shooters are all fantastic, but you'll definitely want psikyo shooting collection 3 -- ignore sol divide and play the excellent dragon blaze. it might be psikyo's best game, and it's certainly their most attractive. it's easily in my top 5 this gen.

meppi

There are some shooters that will soon be getting a pal release as a matter of fact.

Like Raiden III, Homura, and especially Dragon Blaze which is incredible. Perhaps my favorite Psikyo shooter out there. It's being released the 23th.

Others that are already out over here are Gunbird: Special Edition, Castle Shikigami II, GigaWing Generations, Psyvariar Complete Edition, Steel Dragon EX (Shienryu).
And you might want to pick up Capcom Classics collection and the 2 Taito memories also.

As for JP shooters, like drohne said all Cave games are essential (Mushihimasame, Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Ibara, ESP Galuda) and the Psikyo Shooting Collections are great too, but some if not all of those games will be released in Europe also.

Brobzoid said:
so, can anyone say any great vertical shooters for PS2? I love those games, yet I don't have any. :( and I live in pal-land. :((

"shooter lover" and "PS2 pal" are two parallel lines :D

but maybe Gradius V arrived here, I'm sure about R-Type Final, but it sucks
maybe also Shikigami no Shiro II, changed in Castle of Shikigami or something similar
there is also Psikyo collection vol.1, but if you want all great Cave and Psikyo works you really have to buy a PS2 jap or modify yours and prepare some money cause some titles are already becoming hard to find.

Varuna

Dragon Blaze and Homura are both getting PAL releases June 23rd.

I wish they would release these in the states as well.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragon Blaze is one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen... that's awesome that it's coming to PAL land... but it still sucks you guys get screwed out of a lot of RPGs :p

Naruto

200px-Naruto_Narutimate_Hero_3_Boxart.PNG

Naruto Narutimate Hero 3-You can't miss this great fighting game,has the same Budokai 3 feel while combining stuff from SSBM.I highly reccomend it .

polg

to wrap up this thread...

178225055_c1be18777f.jpg

love it love it love it. Great characters, great backgrouds, fun fighting styles. WTF IS WRONG WITH THE FINAL BOSS? I nominate him for cheapest boss in a fighting game... ever.

178223242_7afa1e87b1.jpg

this games is lots of fun, a but hard for my n00b skills. Love the characters. A bit too pixelated, it is showing its age.

178757134_fd7070a822.jpg

Do fighting games get any better than this? Brilliant game, brilliant conversion, perfect balance, smart AI... I cannot say enought good things about it :D

Now a question: garou has a little label that says "NEO GEO, VOL I" which other games belong to this series?

thanks for the suggestions! I've bookmarked NGBC and SS for my next order ;)

Lyte Edge

Nice picks! Three awesome fighters! I'd also recommend Chou Dragonball Z; it's really fun, but it's coming out in the U.S. and U.K. soon.

Yeah, the Neo-Geo online collection is as follows:

1. Garou MOTW
2. Last Blade 1&2 <-- Craptastic conversion, avoid.
3. KOF Orochi Collection (KOF '95-'97)
4. Art of Fighting Collection (AOF1-3)

Next up is Fatal Fury Collection Volume 1(FF1-3), and then KOF NESTS Collection (KOF '99 Evolution-2001)

polg

Lyte Edge said:
Nice picks! Three awesome fighters! I'd also recommend Chou Dragonball Z; it's really fun, but it's coming out in the U.S. and U.K. soon.

Yeah, the Neo-Geo online collection is as follows:

1. Garou MOTW
2. Last Blade 1&2 <-- Craptastic conversion, avoid.
3. KOF Orochi Collection (KOF '95-'97)
4. Art of Fighting Collection (AOF1-3)

Next up is Fatal Fury Collection Volume 1(FF1-3), and then KOF NESTS Collection (KOF '99 Evolution-2001)

Do japs play online? are these popular?

I've been looking into PS2 (not to mention PS1) imports as well. Is it really worth checking out SF Zero collection if you already have the US Alpha version, or Garou MotW if you have the DC version?

Also, are any of the available import bypass disc swap solutions recommended? Thanks!

Lyte Edge

polg said:
Do japs play online? are these popular?

I have no idea how many Japanese gamers play these games online; they all use the KDDI service, which costs about $10 a month. I am unable to try them out online as I play on a modified U.S. system. I briefly owned a Japanese PS2 slimline back at the end of December/early 2006 to play MGS3S online, but sold it off when the U.S. version of the game was released. Kind of wish I"d kept it now.

cartman414 said:
I've been looking into PS2 (not to mention PS1) imports as well. Is it really worth checking out SF Zero collection if you already have the US Alpha version, or Garou MotW if you have the DC version?

SFZ Collection is the same; you don't need to bother with it. Garou PS2 is better than the DC version; it doesn't have the sound problems and looks a bit better IMO. Since Capcom is pretty good about releasing all their fighting games Stateside, there really isn't much to look for from them other than Vampire Darkstalkers Collection on PS2.

Tsubaki

polg said:
I forgot to mention I don't speak japanese...

Relevance? Most games, even text heavy ones, don't -require- Japanese to play.

gigglepoo said:
WHAT? Is it coming to America ever? This is one of my favorite co-op games ever. I'd love to actually own it.

Probably not. Europe also got EDF1, so it's no surprise they get EDF2. The US has neither slated for the future.

Tr4nce

polg said:
PA.05294.009.jpg

And HOLY SHIT DO I WANT THIS GAME. Thank you for posting this. Now I am finally sure that this game has never made it to Europe. What a goddamn shame, excuse my Russian, but that just pisses me off like hell. I WANT SFIII NOW.

MegaTen

Banned

Tokyo Bus Guide 2 - Sequel to the original(and overlooked) Dreamcast and arcade game. Drive different bus routes throughout Tokyo where you pick up and drop off passengers. Challenging and more fun than you might think just from eading a description. :D

Garouden: Breakblow - Another awesome, yet overlooked game. Based on the manga which is written/drawn by the same author of Baki the Grappler. One of the few 3d fighting games where the hits look like they actually hurt!

OZ - Incredibly fun action game with a fantasy setting. Not much in common with Wizard of Oz other than some character names. Gameplay system is pretty fun where you can launch your enemies in the air and pass them around after each attack. Great soundtrack by Michiru Yamane, which I felt was way better than her Castlevania work.

Namco X Capcom - SRPG similar to the Super Robot Taisen series in that it has a collection of characters from various franchises. Not too deep of a game, but fun and overall good fanservice.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Oz is awesome and is the best PS2 game that will never appear in the US.

Fantastic story with multiple branching points and endings, insane replay value due to dozens of awesome unlockables, a combo-puzzle-based gameplay that has an extremely high learning curve, but it's fairly deep and once it clicks you are doing shinobi-style perfect runs in combo through levels. Oh and the music is completely rad too.

But it's not for everyone and with some people the gameplay just never 'clicks' and if you're not doing shinobi-style insane-running combo runs for high scores, the game comes off as some crappy slasher.

Namco x Capcom is nice if you can read the text as the dialogues and scenarios are really enjoyable in a fanservice way. Otherwise the gameplay is really repetitive and boring (but nice sprites!" Also it takes 80 ****ing hours to beat :(

threads such as this behave like clockwork: most of the good recommendations begin at the top then as the pickings become trimmer and/or previously mentioned, people start squeezing all kinds of wack shit in towards the end.

don't hesitate! it's guranteed hilarious!

MegaTen

Banned
Barry Lightning said:
threads such as this behave like clockwork: most of the good recommendations begin at the top then as the pickings become trimmer and/or previously mentioned, people start squeezing all kinds of wack shit in towards the end.

don't hesitate! it's guranteed hilarious!
Feel free to make some recommendations yourself.

Top Bottom