• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore DE Details Revealed (Reduced Load Times, 2 New Overworlds, 10 Dungeons + More)

sn00zer

Neat! Finally got a gaming PC and this was always one of those games that made me want an X1.....now Sunset Overdrive its your turn

blakep267

Whats thhere to gain from devs when they do this stuff for free?

Are people really going to buy this game now? Does the goodwill go that far for there next game?

Seems like a sunken cost.
Gamepass also MS sees value in the IP. It's not about selling more copies as the price is only gonna be $20 so it's not gonna matter much. But if there's interest in the game while in gamespass a sequel may be considered

Also how much can the cost really be. They also had asobo port 3 Kinect games for this holiday all likely minimal cost

J_Viper

I'm looking forward to getting back into this.

I enjoyed the few hours I played on PC, but I held off on continuing once rumors of this update started up.

Load Times
When dying, reload times for combat encounters went from 30-60 seconds to < 5 seconds
Restarting traversals and arenas are now instantaneous (was a load before)
Optimized Level/Area Load Times

This is the clincher for me! Can't wait to jump back into this and actually finish it now :)

M.D

I really want to give this game a try and was glad to see there's a trial but the freaking Windows Store is terrible, it just starts struggles to download then completely stops

Sometimes it shows ridiculous download speeds that my connection doesn't even supports

Theorry

Still "annoyed" they released it last year. This would have been a perfect summer game for this year when exclusives were lacking and would have been a better version.

SpotAnime

Neat! Finally got a gaming PC and this was always one of those games that made me want an X1.....now Sunset Overdrive its your turn

Same here. Took my XBO X money and put it into a substantial PC upgrade, so time to buy digital so I can have this on Play Anywhere. And at $20 it'll be a good test for UWA games to see how that all works with my setup.

Roboculus

Seems like a pretty substantial update. I held off on getting the game last year but I'll definitely be jumping in now.

Hearing people talk about the game reminds me of the first State of Decay. That game was also pretty janky and it had problems but underneath all that was a fun gameplay loop. They eventually got to do a bigger, better sequel on a new engine (CryEngine -> UE4) and I hope the devs get the chance to do the same with ReCore.

Sevyne

Guess I'll be hopping back in. The core game had a lot of potential and the new stuff sounds like it'll get it where it needs to be.

I'll co-sign this. The platforming controls are really tight, I normally despise 3D platforming but I had a blast with the traversal dungeons...

Yeah, the traversal dungeons are great:
giphy.gif

Gameplay is from these videos:

...So this gif has gotten to 1,000 points (91% upvoted) at reddit since yesterday. Naturally Polygon's 'preview' footage was never going to look like this, but it would have been nice if MS had shown off footage from someone who was actually good at this game, rather than what we got...

Also:
Might grab this, skipped the original. What's the ratio of platforming stuff to combat?
An outline of sorts of the game's structure, from the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219692285&postcount=1035

There were 15 Optional Dungeons in the game: the 5 &#8216;Traversal' Dungeons focus on platforming, the 7 &#8216;Arena' Dungeons focus on combat, and the 3 &#8216;Adventure' Dungeons involve some combination of platforming, combat and exploration.

There were also 9 &#8216;Main Story' Dungeons, which were similar in gameplay composition to those 3 Optional &#8216;Adventure' Dungeons. And there were 4 explorable &#8216;Overworld' areas in the game.

Not sure if they have given any indications about the gameplay composition (Traversal/Adventure/Arena) of the 10 new dungeons that will be present in the Definitive Edition:
https://www.recoregame.com/upcoming-updates-new-adventures-recore-definitive-edition/
New Adventure
”Eye of Obsidian" is a brand new chapter in the ReCore story. Join the plucky Corebot, Violet, and journey into the permanent midnight of the ”Starving Sea", a previously unexplored region of Far Eden where ancient enemies plot their revenge on the last remnants of humankind!

New Areas to Explore
2 New Overworlds
10 New Dungeons

OrochiJR

Any word yet if we can use an existing save file with the Definitive Edition? I am somewhere in the last dungeon and quit because I got decimated by the enemies there. :/ I already have all the necessary cores, but it would be great if I could use the new content to get my level up a bit in order to wrap the game up.

Glad this has happened, hopefully it works well for everyone (devs and players).

I too think MS see value in the IP and in the studio making more games. They've got to be conscious of the "Halo/Forza/Gears" meme.

Could you imagine a Recore 2 with a good budget, Blur cinematics and co-developed with Rare.

Yeah . This is my issues and trouble with MS. Not the number of exclusives or In-House teams but not showing faith or sticking with IP. Recore is one of my fav games of this gen and would love to see a sequel to this to fix its issues and because this team IP as so much potential

But knowing MS it won't happen

Samaritan

They had better offer a significant discount to owners of the original game to upgrade to this, otherwise this is an unacceptable new precedent to set.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They had better offer a significant discount to owners of the original game to upgrade to this, otherwise this is an unacceptable new precedent to set.

Existing owners will get a patch that upgrades the game to the DE:

Load Times
When dying, reload times for combat encounters went from 30-60 seconds to < 5 seconds

Damn that's terrible. Nothing worse than a long load time after you die in a game to think about your stupid mistakes haha. Glad they fixed it.

Sounds like they made some great QoL improvements to the game.

If this version comes to PC (which I assume it will) will probably give it a go.

derFeef

Damn that's terrible. Nothing worse than a long load time after you die in a game to think about your stupid mistakes haha. Glad they fixed it.

Sounds like they made some great QoL improvements to the game.

If this version comes to PC (which I assume it will) will probably give it a go.

It's Play Anywhere, it will be the same update hitting at the same time.

LAA

Right... just downloaded it, Was looking forward to playing it.
Now I find on the map screen, I can't move the cursor with the controller, only with the mouse. Apparently is a bug thats nearly a year old.

Not impressed, a year of quiet and seemingly not much has changed to make it less buggy.
Disappointed. Game with potential.

EDIT: Actually not sure it's intended? On first boot it was on the top right the cursor so I couldn't actually select an area to fast travel to with violet in the way. 2nd boot it's in the centre so I can actually see, still can't move it though.

derFeef

Right... just downloaded it, Was looking forward to playing it.
Now I find on the map screen, I can't move the cursor with the controller, only with the mouse. Apparently is a bug thats nearly a year old.

Not impressed, a year of quiet and seemingly not much has changed to make it less buggy.
Disappointed. Game with potential.

Uhh, the patch is not out yet?

LAA

Hmnm, any other evidence? Maybe it updated (preloaded) but it's getting unlocked only tomorrow?

I thought people above were claiming to download it too, but fine:

Think I can deal with the cursor bring in the centre now anyway, just seemed a blatant issue being in the top right at first, hopefully I can get all the cores and etc. finally no problem now.

Top Bottom