• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recreate your favorite videogame moments using MS Paint: 2011 Edition!

2Crisis

Salsa did a cutscene, so here is actual gameplay!
33ae7aw.jpg

Drawing in MS Paint is harder than playing Super Meat Boy.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Hahaha, less effort but it beats the pants off mine.
Ha! Thanks man! yours is pretty awesome too, I like the attention to detail with the diagnostic Imagining Monitor on the top right corner.

*Bro Fist* for having the same fav. moment in recent gaming history...

I'm off to make another one, (it's the first time I found out about this) this is fun..

User33 said:
For those not posting the game in spoilers after their drawing, you are wasting your time. Nobody can tell what game you're attempting to draw.

Does it really matter though? If you haven't played the game, you're probably not going to be interested in drawings of moments from one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sorry for this and my next one will be better, but:

bulletstormson7.png

bulletstorm

This is my first time using the inferior Win7 version of paint, I'm much more used to the classic version.

Stubo

User33 said:
For those not posting the game in spoilers after their drawing, you are wasting your time. Nobody can tell what game you're attempting to draw.
I was hoping others who loved my chosen game would recognise it from clues in the image which would go over most peoples' heads. For those who are that bothered by not knowing though, mine was
MotoGP

User33 said:
I 100% DISAGREE with this, I think it's BEST to NOT POST, the name of the games, unless you think your art work or the game (scene) itself is very vague.

if you don't get it, more or less is because you haven't played the game (which is perfectly fine).

And those who do get it, get it because they played the game, it works for me.

vareon

EricHasNoPull said:
I 100% DISAGREE with this, I think it's BEST to NOT POST, the name of the games, unless you think your art work or the game (scene) itself is very vague.

if you don't get it, more or less is because you haven't played the game (which is perfectly fine).

And those who do get it, get it because they played the game, it works for me.

If I don't get it, but I found the scene interesting, I will want to know what game it is from.

Brashnir

Stubo said:
Any ideas what game my awful attempt is from? It's not finished, but it would only get less recognisable if I tried to put the main objects in here, so that's probably for the best.
x79vB.png

Fuck, I know that HUD....

Moto GP?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
User33 said:
And I'll use the above entry as an example. I look at the drawing and am intrigued by the game. Can I easily see what game it is? No. The artist was too lazy to put the game title in a spoiler tag before.
I think it's Uninvited?

PKrockin

vareon said:
That is a magnificent use of MSPaint, PKrockin. You live up your username.

Thanks. I wish I could have tinted Ness blue like he looks in the game, but hell if I know how to do that in MS Paint :p

G-Fex

User33 said:
And I'll use the above entry as an example. I look at the drawing and am intrigued by the game. Can I easily see what game it is? No. The artist was too lazy to put the game title in a spoiler tag before.

It's a game called Deja Vu, where you get locked in a dungeon and have to beat this evil warlock and recover your memories and your sister and clear your name.

Fuck! I hate MS Paint, why does this archaic "software" still exists? And why would anyone bother with it when there's Gimp and PhotoShop etc?

Anyway, here's my second contribution to this thread, I'm sure this has been done before in previous years ( I didn't see any) but yeah...

I've been doing some oldskool gaming lately... played this just last night.

unledw.png

User33 said:
See how at least two people had a response to your question right away? if you don't know just ask, people usually discuss a game in question here, you'll learn something more than just the title that way, this is GAF man...just ask...ask away!

PKrockin

confuziz said:
I am replaying it at the moment. Never thought it was so hard. Or maybe I suck..

It's a pretty easy game except for the few spots where you're missing party members, like when you first start out, or Magicant.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
G-Fex said:
It's a game called Deja Vu, where you get locked in a dungeon and have to beat this evil warlock and recover your memories and your sister and clear your name.

I remember Deja Vu being a (two actually) noir detective adventure game. Your description sounds nothing like it. Maybe I didn't play long enough.

There's a game like it on the NES that I tried that's called Shadow-something, that uses more or less the same interface though, which does sound like what you described.

PKrockin

StarEye said:
I remember Deja Vu being a (two actually) noir detective adventure game. Your description sounds nothing like it. Maybe I didn't play long enough.

There's a game like it on the NES that I tried that's called Shadow-something, that uses more or less the same interface though, which does sound like what you described.

Beating the warlock comes from Shadowgate, finding your sister comes from Uninvited, and recovering your memory and clearing your name comes from Deja Vu. All three games were made by the same company and got NES ports.

Gravijah

U6lWQ.jpg

Diablo 2. Not exactly a "favorite" memory, but one that definitely stands out from the early days of D2.

..And yes, that's a fireball.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
looks like he's throwing a bundle of ginger pubes at the other guy

nice pic, though

too late for me to do another work of art but I will post one first thing tomorrow, you can count on it

Dammit...

I start, and I try and just do a shit crap bang up job and just smash elements on the screen to convey the part of the game I'm doing to get it done quickly, and then I end up spending fraking ages to make sure it's perfect...

Dammit when it comes to this stuff I have OCD. I'll see you in a year when I've done a pixel by pixel drawing :/

Gravijah

ColonialRaptor said:
Dammit...

I start, and I try and just do a shit crap bang up job and just smash elements on the screen to convey the part of the game I'm doing to get it done quickly, and then I end up spending fraking ages to make sure it's perfect...

Dammit when it comes to this stuff I have OCD. I'll see you in a year when I've done a pixel by pixel drawing :/

Check my shit out, man. I completely suck. I mean, my PlayStation one I accidentally cut off the top of the diamond, but who the heck cares? Just do it, don't mess with it, and post what comes out!

ColonialRaptor said:
Dammit...

You know you're done working on it when you begin to get burnt out or tired of working on it. That's a good time to release it.

Gravijah said:
Check my shit out, man. I completely suck. I mean, my PlayStation one I accidentally cut off the top of the diamond, but who the heck cares? Just do it, don't mess with it, and post what comes out!

Haha! for some reason I thought that was "part of your art" the "chipped" diamond suppose to symbolize the "rough edges" the imperfections of a Sony a.k.a "The video Gaming Diamond" LOL

That my friend was no "accident" That's what we elitist artist call it "Serendipity" ...look it up!

And ColonialRaptor ...just relax dude..the key to this is to KEEP IT SIMPLE..DO NOT over think or over do it...I can assure you the coolest moments in video games most likely have the simplest settings, maybe just one character not even a BG...just come up with an idea and then start stripping away at it, until all you have left is the core essentials. Don't worry about the "screen shot" look or 'HUD's etc.

vareon

Rygar 8 Bit said:
Oh god the uninvited that game still scares the shit out of me

Out of curiosity, I checked videos of the game at youtube. It's both scary and hilarious at the same time, lol.

"You really don't want to climb there. There is a spider down there that's bigger than a bread box."

*walk*

"You really don't want to climb there. Really, that spider is bad news. Don't try to go down there!!"

*walk*

"You really don't want to climb there. The spider that's down there would rip you to shreds."

*walks and enters*

"Well, what do you know. It's a giant spider."

EricHasNoPull said:
Haha! for some reason I thought that was "part of your art" the "chipped" diamond suppose to symbolize the "rough edges" the imperfections of a Sony a.k.a "The video Gaming Diamond" LOL

That my friend was no "accident" That's what we elitist artist call it "Serendipity" ...look it up!

And ColonialRaptor ...just relax dude..the key to this is to KEEP IT SIMPLE..DO NOT over think or over do it...I can assure you the coolest moments in video games most likely have the simplest settings, maybe just one character not even a BG...just come up with an idea and then start stripping away at it, until all you have left is the core essentials. Don't worry about the "screen shot" look or 'HUD's etc.
Haha, its good advice!

I stopped for tonight for now. Might do some more later. Ive done a few elements - ill just smash the rest in later on haha

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
vareon said:
Out of curiosity, I checked videos of the game at youtube. It's both scary and hilarious at the same time, lol.

"You really don't want to climb there. There is a spider down there that's bigger than a bread box."

*walk*

"You really don't want to climb there. Really, that spider is bad news. Don't try to go down there!!"

*walk*

"You really don't want to climb there. The spider that's down there would rip you to shreds."

*walks and enters*

"Well, what do you know. It's a giant spider."

at the time of uninvited I'd only played Deja vu it only had static images so stuff like when
the red skull would flash on the screen in the uninvited it would make me jump

myfirstexperiencewithmariogalaxy.png

This joke has probably been done to death in relation to this game, but it's the best way I could think to describe the first time I experienced getting Mario stuck rubber-banding around a planetoid after longjumping in Mario Galaxy.

Top Bottom