• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS support soon!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can they do that for PlayStation so it’s doesn’t have the dog shit blur filter that Xbox doesn’t have? is that too much to ask?
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Croga

Be nice if they decided to fix the immersion breaking camp bug where everyone moans about Arthur "freezing to death" every 2 seconds that has been in the game since last December first.

But it's Rockstar, so fuck fixing the single player game.

Kazza

This is very good news. I remember when people were worried about DLSS not catching on, so it's great to see even old games like this getting it implemented. If the new Nintendo Switch has some form of DLSS, then it will become even more widespread.

Retinoid

This is very good news. I remember when people were worried about DLSS not catching on, so it's great to see even old games like this getting it implemented. If the new Nintendo Switch has some form of DLSS, then it will become even more widespread.
DLSS 1.0 wasn't exactly the best, so people were rightly skeptical about the tech at the time. Thankfully Nvidia knocked it out the park with DLSS 2.0 because it really is a game changer - and it's only going to get better with newer implementations. Also, AMD bringing FSR to both AMD and Nvidia cards is great for competition.

DLSS 1.0 wasn't exactly the best, so people were rightly skeptical about the tech at the time. Thankfully Nvidia knocked it out the park with DLSS 2.0 because it really is a game changer - and it's only going to get better with newer implementations. Also, AMD bringing FSR to both AMD and Nvidia cards is great for competition.

I would not exactly say its great what amd is doing. They're not really competing with anyone, they're segregating the market with vastly inferior solutions. An AMD partnered game means poor ray traced solutions, no DLSS, and if we look at Valhalla or previously Dirt 5, severe gimping on any nvidia card.

If amd's super resolution will look in every game like how their Godfall screens look, god help us. You're better of turning down settings and resolution and you'll get a better image that what amd provides. Their solution could just mean locking out games from DLSS and gimping them with their embarassing option. Or if we're lucky, devs will just use their own reconstruction techniques which all of them look better than what amd showed.

What the Metro Exodus devs said recently before they were forced to edit suddenly makes a lot more sense:

We will not be adding specific support for this, as it is not compatible with our rendering techniques. However we have our own Temporal based reconstruction tech implemented that natively provides the same or better image quality benefits for all hardware.

Last edited:

Kazza

Yeah, in retrospect 1.0 almost seems like a proof of concept.

Does anyone here use DLSS for 1080p displays? I've recently bought a laptop with an RTX3060, so can play pretty much anything at max settings for now, but it's life could be extended considerably if DLSS becomes ultra common, and works well with 1080p output. Playing at 540p internal resolution should give a nice performance boost.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
1.0 was absolute trash. 2.0 was one of the most impressive improvements I have ever seen. Specifically looking at the Death Stranding videos.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS Patch releases on July 13th​

Rockstar has just announced that the DLSS patch for Red Dead Redemption 2 will release on July 13th.
According to the team, both Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online will support DLSS, allowing RTX owners to gain better performance.

Can they do that for PlayStation so it’s doesn’t have the dog shit blur filter that Xbox doesn’t have? is that too much to ask?
Turn off HDR….makes it look better
Won’t fix the red difference but it gets rid of the bourbon camera you get in some parts

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wonder if it's using the new version if not those of us who have it and enjoy the more improved dlss experience.

SSfox

Nobody made a thread about the Blood Money Update or what

eddie-murphy-gif-9.gif

PS: On the topic, good news for Nvidia users, still waiting for my PS5 upgrade update, it would too dumb from Rockstar if they won't release an upgrade patch of PS5 and Xbox Serie X tbh. Hopefully this will come and can't wait.

Last edited:

hlm666

eddie-murphy-gif-9.gif

PS: On the topic, good news for Nvidia users, still waiting for my PS5 upgrade update, it would too dumb from Rockstar if they won't release an upgrade patch of PS5 and Xbox Serie X tbh. Hopefully this will come and can't wait.

Probably want to sell some form of upgraded version like they did with gta5 last gen.

DLSS is beyond a game changer it will be the next new standard across the board for more gamers to have high level impact at a lesser cost of entry, real talk it's about to be real crazy especially in 2023 stay tuned

PS5 die size: 308 sqmm
RTX 2060 die size: 445 sqmm

PS5 has lots more power and a processor built in at 2/3 die size. Even smallest dlss capable cards have more silicon than next gen consoles.

When you are not using RTX or dlss features, you are basically using 1/3 silicon you have on your GPU. That's why graphics chips tend to be expensive.

Buggy Loop

When you are not using RTX or dlss features, you are basically using 1/3 silicon you have on your GPU. That's why graphics chips tend to be expensive.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

If it would be on consoles, it logically would be implemented on the API directly for all games, just like DLSS is creeping up in game engines now and will be much more available. Maybe not RTX (but could also be used for spatial sound, not everything is GI/reflections), but DLSS definitely should always be on.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

If it would be on consoles, it logically would be implemented on the API directly for all games, just like DLSS is creeping up in game engines now and will be much more available. Maybe not RTX (but could also be used for spatial sound, not everything is GI/reflections), but DLSS definitely should always be on.

They already have a software based solution that does not require 1/3-1/4 of your precious silicon die.

//DEVIL//

Temporal upsampling, checkerboarding etc.

Not as good as dlss.

But dlss needs silicon die space which can be used to increase teraflops, negating need for upscaling in first place.
No that is not correct . Not even close.
And FYI, tensor cores are not just for DlSS and doesn’t take much of the die space . That space even if you remove it, won’t gain you the 50% boost in performance seen in DLSS.
In competitive gaming using dlss actually lower your latency too since it renders at lower resolution ( I can even confirm this with Cold War with about 2 ms difference at least )

also it lowers the load on your gpu so less temp and less fan curve.
It will also help in future games if your native can’t hit a desired frames.
DLSS honestly is a win no matter how you look at it. The fact it even enhance the game graphics in some situations is just perfection.

there is nothing comes close to it . Not a software solution is half as good as DLSS.

Last edited:
No that is not correct . Not even close.
And FYI, tensor cores are not just for DlSS and doesn’t take much of the die space . That space even if you remove it, won’t gain you the 50% boost in performance seen in DLSS.

How much space tensor cores take up?

Why is GTX 2060 die size 50% bigger than ps5 that also includes ryzen processor?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Kinda on topic, but kinda not - as a newcomer to the PC Master Race, I have a Ultrawide 3440x1440p monitor and I'm not sure if DLSS can actually be of any use to me? In Doom Eternal when I turn it on, I see the trails on the little meteor bits in that opening scene to indicate that DLSS is working, so what does that mean in terms of the resolution that it's running at? Would it be rendering less than 1440p and DLSS'ing up to 1440p? Or is it going to be DLSS'ing 1440p up to 4K and then supersampling down to the 1440p monitor resolution?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, in retrospect 1.0 almost seems like a proof of concept.

Does anyone here use DLSS for 1080p displays? I've recently bought a laptop with an RTX3060, so can play pretty much anything at max settings for now, but it's life could be extended considerably if DLSS becomes ultra common, and works well with 1080p output. Playing at 540p internal resolution should give a nice performance boost.
I realize this post is somewhat old and you've probably had a chance to experiment more, but for posterity's sake, here's some shots of DOOM Eternal running 1080p Native vs DLSS(Quality), RT enabled...
1080p Native:
1-Native1080p-No-DRS.jpg
1080p DLSS(Quality):
2-DLSSQUALITY1080p-No-DRS.jpg

1080p Native+DRS 144fps target:
5-Native1080p-DRS144fps.jpg
1080p DLSS(Qualtiy)+DRS 144fps target:
4-DLSSQUALITY1080p-DRS144fps.jpg
This is using DLSS 2.1, not the new 2.2 .dll. In gameplay I prefer the look of DLSS(Quality) over native, even disregarding any frame rate target. It looks crisp and clean. Once you get into DRS with high frame rate target for high refresh laptop screen that usually ships with RTX 3xxx laptops, then the non-DLSS, native res with DRS enabled takes a massive hit to image quality.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I realize this post is somewhat old and you've probably had a chance to experiment more, but for posterity's sake, here's some shots of DOOM Eternal running 1080p Native vs DLSS(Quality), RT enabled...

This is using DLSS 2.1, not the new 2.2 .dll. In gameplay I prefer the look of DLSS(Quality) over native, even disregarding any frame rate target. It looks crisp and clean. Once you get into DRS with high frame rate target for high refresh laptop screen that usually ships with RTX 3xxx laptops, then the non-DLSS, native res with DRS enabled takes a massive hit to image quality.
Pretty insane that the DLSS reconstructed 1080p looks better than native 1080p. How does that even make any sense haha.

Top Bottom