• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS support soon!

TIGERCOOL

Enable transfer queues if you're using Vulkan API (consider switching to VK from DX12 if it's faster).

Do let me know if you guys see any improved performance w/ Vulkan + transfer queues on.
I checked this out and it was already enabled in the .xml file. Maybe that was done with the update?

Buggy Loop

So 2.2.6 stays winning? So strange that the ghosting improvements of 2.2.6 did not transfer to the upper versions..

Confusion Reaction GIF

TIGERCOOL

So 2.2.6 stays winning? So strange that the ghosting improvements of 2.2.6 did not transfer to the upper versions..

Confusion Reaction GIF
After some more playtime it seems 2.2.6.0 also improves the ghosting effect in rdr2. There are still some strange hair artifacts and the overall look is a bit too sharp but it seems cleaner overall. There's no reason for an update to dlss that performs and looks significantly worse so I'm assuming it's a bug.

In the meantime I recommend everyone use the 2.2.6 version of the driver if you can get your hands on it. Even if image quality isn't perfect in 1440p, it provides the performance we expected from dlss.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nope, same resolution as the screens: 1440p

After some more playtime it seems 2.2.6.0 also improves the ghosting effect in rdr2. There are still some strange hair artifacts and the overall look is a bit too sharp but it seems cleaner overall. There's no reason for an update to dlss that performs and looks significantly worse so I'm assuming it's a bug.

In the meantime I recommend everyone use the 2.2.6 version of the driver if you can get your hands on it. Even if image quality isn't perfect in 1440p, it provides the performance we expected from dlss.
Can you upload the 2.2.6 files please? I'd like to give it a try.
Edit: nvm find it
Edit 2: with 2.2.6 the weird effect on the hair or on the horses are 99% gone.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

2.2.6 > 2.2.10 performances?

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Ev1L AuRoN

How much space tensor cores take up?

Why is GTX 2060 die size 50% bigger than ps5 that also includes ryzen processor?

12nn vs 7nn

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Who knows its from nvidia.
I don't know for the video but we got a little bit more here:

red-dead-redemption-2-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-directx12-performance.png

Average of 10/15+ FPS with my 2070 in quality mode seems about right, especially since I cranked up my settings.

"With the aid of NVIDIA DLSS, all GeForce RTX gamers can experience Red Dead Redemption 2’s incredible world with max settings at 1920x1080 at over 60 FPS.
At 2560x1440, GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and above users can ride out with over 60 FPS.
And at 3840x2160, gamers with a GeForce RTX 3070, or a faster GPU, can enjoy 60 FPS+ max setting gameplay"

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
For me doing TAA on medium and FXAA on, created a far better look and performance. I upped the sharpening bar a bit too and it doesn't look blurry for things like hair. No smudge hair nor is it a Pixelated jaggy mess.

I did this with either ultra or high settings on everything. Trees set to high for sure I recall.

This locked me at 60fps on 1080 for a rtx 2080.

When I tried same settings with dlss quality the AA looks god awful and I didn't see some mega jump in fps either. Even on performance it didn't help.

All in all DLSS here is caca. I wish it would give me FPS boost and use MSAA instead. MSAA looks great in rdr2 but destroys fps big time.

TIGERCOOL

For me doing TAA on medium and FXAA on, created a far better look and performance. I upped the sharpening bar a bit too and it doesn't look blurry for things like hair. No smudge hair nor is it a Pixelated jaggy mess.

I did this with either ultra or high settings on everything. Trees set to high for sure I recall.

When I tried same settings with dlss quality the AA looks god awful and I didn't see some mega jump in fps either. Even on performance it didn't help.

All in all DLSS here is caca. I wish it would give me FPS boost and use MSAA instead. MSAA looks great in rdr2 but destroys fps big time.
dlss isn't great at 1080p unfortunately... and lowering your resolution via dlss with that card is going to have diminishing performance returns as you're just making the cpu do more of the leg work.

TAA medium + FXAA is exactly the AA combination I prefer too at 1080p60 on my 1660ti (but at HU recommended settings). But I have 0.40 NVCP sharpening and 10 ticks of in-game sharpening enabled. It's hard to exactly pinpoint why this combo looks best in my eyes.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Wait, did it turn out that the TAA in RDR2 isn't shit but rather it's particularly suited for the art style and its environment (even if it means it has to be softer), and the biggest and most successful AAAA dev in the world isn't filled with incompetent rendering talent? Shocked.

Funny to see Nvidia up to its old tricks though, they used the oversharpening to great success in Control when they launched DLSS 2.0 as well, except there it wasn't so obscenely obvious due to it being darker, the building type etc.

It would be so funny if someone would mod FSR like they did in GTA V and it looked better. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hlm666

maybe low gains because this game is cpu heavy? no?
Yeh there was another game a while back that was cpu bound and thus dlss didn't give great performance increase, I think it was watchdogs. So it's probably a sensible conslusion to come to.

Edit: also for you guys wanting the other dlls

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Yeh there was another game a while back that was cpu bound and thus dlss didn't give great performance increase, I think it was watchdogs. So it's probably a sensible conslusion to come to.

Edit: also for you guys wanting the other dlls

on 2.2.6 I get like 20-25 fps in quality which is about on par with NMS. respectable gains. 2.2.10 seems bugged

hlm666

on 2.2.6 I get like 20-25 fps in quality which is about on par with NMS. respectable gains. 2.2.10 seems bugged
Makes you wonder what nvidia is trying to do with the post 2.2.6 versions, there don't seem to be improvements in either of the metrics that matter (game performance or image quality)

JonSnowball

It appears as if the DLSS implementation for Red Dead Redemption 2 applies some kind of sharpening filter to the image that isn't associated with the TAA Sharpening slider...and, at least at 1440p, there's visible aliasing in hair, grass, etc.. Rather disappointing.

On another note I'm a bit disappointed to see that I'm now met with a nag screen with "Press Enter to Play" or "Esc to Skip" for Red Dead Online, rather than simply being thrown to the main menu. I suppose alongside GTA Online it's indicative of the direction Rockstar is headed, and would probably explain why several key staff members have left over the last couple of years - the most recent if I recall correctly being Lazlow..

Last edited:

Paasei

Just started a new play through. I'll wait with playing further till this is implemented. Their AA isn't all that great. Also the games feels to be out of focus for me.

At 1080p, DLSS will always be kinda dogshit. Only use for 1440p and above.

I played for an hour with DLSS but I really didn't like the aggressive sharpen filter. And yeah, as stated above, it has nothing to do with the TAA Sharpening option.

hlm666

DLSS has it's own sharpening component/pass, and it hasn't been user adjustable at all yet. There was an interview with someone from nvidia around 2.0 when they were asked about it because couple of the games around then were sharpened alot and the reply was developers have the controls to set the sharpening factor in dlss and they would maybe open them to the user at some point in the future (still hasn't happened obviously).

FSR sharpened the shit out of the image to the point of creating artifacts aswell and was praised for it, maybe rockstar/nvidia was thinking this is what people want.

TIGERCOOL

you can cut down some of the sharpening by using sharpen+ in the nvidia overlay and moving both sliders to the left. I found a mostly agreeable image after screwing around with that. apparently the overlay filters can be pretty costly on performance but I haven't tested yet. Would suck if it cut significantly into the fps gain because I'm finally happy with the look.

I played for an hour with DLSS but I really didn't like the aggressive sharpen filter. And yeah, as stated above, it has nothing to do with the TAA Sharpening option.
Can this not be adjusted in Nvidia drivers? Nvidia CP options? Similar to their DRS solution that has smoothing or shapening options ?

Last edited:

yamaci17

Can this not be adjusted in Nvidia drivers? Nvidia CP options? Similar to their DRS solution that has smoothing or shapening options ?
no its a per game thing

you can minimize the effect of sharpening by rendering at higher DSR resolutions and downsampling back to your native res

sharpening actually looks good at higher resolutions. thats why they pushed so much of it. it looks off at lower 1440p/1080p resolutions as a result

hello, join our gang

So apparently this error is related to audio apps. Someone mentioned if you have something called Voicemeeter running this will be the reason for this exact crash and error.

I don't use that app but I do have the Nvidia Broadcaster running in the background for RTX voice. Turning that off and left the game running for a few hours didn't crash out with this error. Will try more later in the week but I think this may have resolved my issue.

Kenpachii

no its a per game thing

you can minimize the effect of sharpening by rendering at higher DSR resolutions and downsampling back to your native res

sharpening actually looks good at higher resolutions. thats why they pushed so much of it. it looks off at lower 1440p/1080p resolutions as a result

That's what i also read, sharpening is builded for 4k. at lower resolutions it falls appart.

Nvidia broadcast can be a shitter app

Use OBS. and if you want to record without any hit on performance. Use a capture card in a second PC and record through hdmi cabel from your gpu into it. That's what i do but that will cost you something.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Any difference in image quality, performance after the new driver update?

no but i used dlss dev file on rdr 2 and toggled of sharpen, much of the artifacts were gone

i don't understand why devs can't be bothered to put a simple dlss sharpener toggle/slider. it is much needed

here my observations with dlss dev file:

- cyberjunk - no sharpening (0.00 value)
- marvel junkangers - no sharpening (0.00 value)
- rdr 2 - 0.35 sharpening

basically, all marvel avengers fsr vs dlss comparisons are invalid because DLSS in that game simply does not use any form of sharpening, which should give DLSS a huge edge against FSR (it already has an an edge, but it literally fights without an arm: sharpening) let's admit, huge part of FSR is sharpening and DLSS is bereft of it in that particular game

ofc, i'm not an advocate of sharpening, but i guess its also up to developer. nvidia sdk file states that sharpening should be default to off, but it also says that users should be given toggle, yet aside from doom eternal we never saw dlss sharpening toggles in games, or sliders for that matter

i'd say this is a huge point, because reviewers are already out in the wild without any sharpening applid on dlss

since i started using dlss on games, i've used a sprinkle of sharpening here and there, not always, but it can really do good in some cases. in rdr 2's case, it only does good at 4k, and creates problems at lower resolutions though. in cyberpunk's case, i found default nv control panel sharpening look good even at 1080p so it varies. but FSR is a more brute force solution where they slap sharpening on everything (i'm not against it or anything, just a remark)

Last edited:

yamaci17

decided to throw some proofz

mind that i've no control over sharpening value, it is probably commandeered by the game engine/game exe. i can only manipulate the sharpening toggle. rdr 2 by default comes with sharpener enabled at a 0.35 sharpening value (take a good look at bottom left of the screenshots, you can find DLSS debug infos there)

116OMYL.png

avengers starts up with sharpener toggled off. when toggled on, it defaults to a value of 0.00, meaning no sharpening applied even with toggle on. i've no means to change the sharpening value, so no luck on that front

lKMO4t8.jpg

excessive sharpening on RDR2 always caused issues. this comes from me that tried a lot of various sharpeners in that game. practically, you always used to get artifacts. i've provided three comparisons, dlss quality 1080p with sharpening default, with sharpening off, and native. you can observe the majority of artifacts stem from the sharpening filter, not the DLSS itself (as i've said, sharpening is double edged knife)

default sharpen dlss quality vs sharpen off at 1080p dlss quality;

default sharpen dlss quality vs native 1080p;

no sharpen dlss quality vs native 1080p;

enjoy

Last edited:
I reinstalled it and got the updates but still haven't had a chance to test it out. Think ima ride around for a few tonight testing it. Im on a 3090

A friend of mine with the same card said he felt like the hair/fur looks worse, but he probably was about 6 joints in before loading it up :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom