• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 new trailer coming 28 september, 11AM ET

What are you most looking forward to in the trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh crap, didn't realize we were reenacting scenes from Atlanta.

llQIlDF.gif

Sure, but saying a greeting button to greet random NPC's that disappear around the next corner is better than every NPC in a game having a name, an own character, having day and night scedules or different interactions or locations based on weather is a strange stroke to have.

Obviously you don't meet as many, and most of them are in towns you can walk aorund in for 20 minutes until you have seen everything or in stables that are just NPC hubs, so maybe that's why you prefer GTA in that regard.
The gameplay itself when traversing the world is completely different. I prefer Zelda in that regard as well, simply due to the verticality of it all. I can see people preferring having different vehicles at your disposal.

I didn't say that about the greeting button. In general, Rockstar's NPCs are more alive than any other game IMO. They also have schedules in RDR.

Just because they have names that doesn't make them alive. They usually stand like lifeless statues until you talk to them and they start making weird sounds and show a textbox.

Wamb0wneD

You know what would be fun? If for a change we get a huge surprise nobody saw coming. Like a trailer and then saying November 2017 as release date. People would go nuts.

One can dream... But tbh I got so many games I still have to play that maybe 2018 is fine. They should take their time instead of crunshing their staff into oblivion.

Dmax3901

No different than saying: "Can't wait to blow someone's brain out and see the details in glorious 4K, graphics have come a long way" while speaking within the context of a videogame announcement.

If you can't make a distinction between real life and videogames, then maybe you should stop playing.

I'd say there's a huge difference between our two examples but people seem intent on missing my point so I'm gonna move on.

Skyr

Betsheda games, especially FO4, are far more fun sandboxes to explore and have level of hand craftiness that R* open worlds don't come even close to. R* open worlds to me have always felt too clinically clean and... straight forward.

Witcher 3 felt a lot more living, struggling and evolving than GTA games, at least for me. Having NPC's walking along the street without any actual purpose and cars driving few blocks before being despawned doesn't do it for me. In TW3 major cities, small settlements etc. felt more alive as NPC's were basically going about their lives and doing tasks around their, well, areas.

For me GTA 3 and Vice City were big deal because back then they were actually revolutionary by just being 3D TPS open world games, but once I grew out of wanting to just mess around and blast those "skybox NPC's" with rocket launcher between story missions they just lost that charm on me. R* open world just doesn't suck me in and immerse me in their world :(

I see we have very different definitions of the term "handcrafted".
If I see the same assets/buldings in a relativly short amount of time over and over again like in FO4/ Skyrim/ Witcher3/ WatchDogs, it's not really "handcrafted" to me.
It catapults me out of the experience of what I want from a convincing world. I get constantly reminded that it's artificial and some designer copied that assets to save some development time.
In my opinion every area in GTA5 is that diverse and unique that it brings you just way closer to that uncanny valley of living in a fantasy world.
I realize that they copy different assets too but they do it in a way in that at least I notice it to a minimal degree.

As for your point with the NPC's. As I mentioned before thats not what I really meant with open world design (should have phrased myself better).
Of course GTA/RDR can't hang with other titles in terms of NPC design/interaction, nor is it aiming to do so.

But that just shows that people have different priorities when it comes to open world design and it's great that there are various titles out there that meet these.

lmao people in here getting wild saying this year... Gaf hype trains never fail

I thought the reveal was handled pretty poorly last year. Those daily tweets of an image u know? Then they dropped such a small teaser after all that build up. Hopefully today's trailer is the one that should have followed those tweets last year

I thought the reveal was handled pretty poorly last year. Those daily tweets of an image u know? Then they dropped such a small teaser after all that build up. Hopefully today's trailer is the one that should have followed those tweets last year
It drummed up an incredible amount of publicity and anticipation. Rockstar probably thought it was a huge success.

Tovarisc

I see we have very different definitions of the term "handcrafted".
If I see the same assets/buldings in a relativly short amount of time over and over again like in FO4/ Skyrim/ Witcher3/ WatchDogs, it's not really "handcrafted" to me.
It catapults me out of the experience of what I want from a convincing world. I get constantly reminded that it's artificial and some designer copied that assets to save some development time.
In my opinion every area in GTA5 is that diverse and unique that it brings you just way closer to that uncanny valley of living in a fantasy world.
I realize that they copy different assets too but they do it in a way in that at least I notice it to a minimal degree.

As for your point with the NPC's. As I mentioned before thats not what I really ment with open world design (should have phrased myself better).
Of course GTA/RDR can't hang with other titles in terms of NPC design/interaction, nor is it aiming to do so.

But that just shows that people have different priorities when it comes to open world design and it's great that there are various titles out there that meet these.

Even in FO4 or TW3 they don't put same house x10 next to each other. Even then repeating architecture in those games, and even in something like GTAV, can and do make sense as some areas are built with same mold. Especially in game like TW3 that is basically middle ages meets fantasy so a lot of houses are made out of logs and meant for single families so base design within region would be samey.

I notice it and it bothers me if there is blatant copy pasta done and same model repeated many times in small area.

R* for sure is helped by basically infinite development budget and time so they can afford to create immense library of surface textures to minimize asset repeats.

One can dream... But tbh I got so many games I still have to play that maybe 2018 is fine. They should take their time instead of crunshing their staff into oblivion.

Agreed man. There is plenty that is coming out soon and with all the games in my backlog that I wait until they get the One X patch I'll be busy as hell. But I do hope it's a May release and not Fall or Holiday.

MortosDer

Neo Member
All this stuff about killing dogs in a videogame while watching a MGS2 stream in which
the player starts shooting seagulls and he gets a codec call from his commander scolding him for abusing animals
. I lol'd

lmao people in here getting wild saying this year... Gaf hype trains never fail

All they did was drop a single red logo image and Rockstar dominated the internet for a week with the following teases, down to major devs copying the style as fun homages/being part of the moment

It was a pretty hugely successful marketing move

I didn't say that about the greeting button. In general, Rockstar's NPCs are more alive than any other game IMO. They also have schedules in RDR.

Just because they have names that doesn't make them alive. They usually stand like lifeless statues until you talk to them and they start making weird sounds and show a textbox.

I would say the different kind of behaviors from a NPC is something WD2 has locked down. I've seen pedestrians going about their lives in almost countless different ways and it never was like that in a Rockstar game.

I would say the different kind of behaviors from a NPC is something WD2 has locked down. I've seen pedestrians going about their lives in almost countless different ways and it never was like that in a Rockstar game.
Yeah, WD2 is my gold standard for NPC behaviors in an open world game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just think...we could be playing this right now instead of waiting for a bloody trailer!

i'm expecting them to delay it until late 2018. not saying it'll happen but i'm expecting the worst. even if they give us a release date i won't believe it's actually happening until it's only a few months away.

as for the trailer i just want the focus to be on the story/characters. if they wanna show off Red Dead Online they can do another trailer for it.

Ahasverus

I'd argue WD2 hs the most vivid open world yet, surpassing GTAV. Ubisoft really did their homework.

Yeah WD2 was pretty good though it's technically a generation ahead of GTAV. What makes GTA pedestrians amazing is the little things that not everyone experiences like if you follow a woman long enough she'll start fast walking, if you continue to do so she'd call the cops. Those subtle things that R*'s NPC's do, you know. Other games might have "unique" NPC's but not as alive as Rockstar's.

Yeah WD2 was pretty good though it's technically a generation ahead of GTAV. What makes GTA pedestrians amazing is the little things that not everyone experiences like if you follow a woman long enough she'll start fast walking, if you continue to do so she'd call the cops. Those subtle things that R*'s NPC's do, you know. Other games might have "unique" NPC's but not as alive as Rockstar's.

Oh that's very true too. They did put in great things, so my hope is they will only improve on that greatly because of all the extra power the consoles offer now and I want to see Rockstar at their A game again. The times I had plenty of "holy shit" moments though were with GTA IV and RDR.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope this is more than a 2 minute trailer. There's a 99% chance it will be that, and I will still be hyped as fuck, but I hope it's a bit more.

Yeah, WD2 is my gold standard for NPC behaviors in an open world game.

Yeah I never expected that. Really hoping Rockstar does a lot with these NPCs in RDR2. It makes a game just that much more awesome really.

I'd argue WD2 hs the most vivid open world yet, surpassing GTAV. Ubisoft really did their homework.

Ubisoft really outdid themselves and I sure hope we get to see similar things in the new AC.

Griss

Man, I really wish Rockstar was doing something else but they're so good at what they do I feel obliged to be interested anyway. It's just a setting I've never liked, which is a problem. There was a lot to like about RDR but the setting just killed it for me. Well, that and the terrible pacing and empty world. And yet, after the genius of GTA V I feel like their next game almost has to be an automatic day 1 purchase anyway.

Hopefully this trailer shows something I can get behind.

Alienous

I feel like this trailer will be a teaser redo, due to the delay.

I'd really like it to be an introduction to the characters and plot, like GTA V's, but I don't feel like that's coming until later.

Raven77

Betsheda games, especially FO4, are far more fun sandboxes to explore and have level of hand craftiness that R* open worlds don't come even close to. R* open worlds to me have always felt too clinically clean and... straight forward.

I respect your opinion but could not POSSIBLY disagree with you more. R* is the master of hand crafted, living, breathing worlds.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Redemption is one of the most memorable games of all time.

My body is incredibly Reggie for this trailer.

Tovarisc

The ๖ۜBronx;250290452 said:
Better not disappoint. Wouldn't usually say such a thing but the handling of GTAV SP vs. Online has me eh.
Really hope they show off some of the new systems and more of the landscape.

Like I posted in DGAF Discord it would be glorious in its own way if they announced they are going all in on always online and literally making WestWorld the Game.

Hop in and out of the world of RDR2 either alone or with friends to experience ever evolving and changing narratives. Different narratives can tangle up with each other in different places resulting in confrontations with other player(s) (read: PvP). Some of epic narratives are lead by returning faces of RDR franchise.

Before being thrown into world of RDR2 you enter social hub area that you can freely explore and where you can modify your character with different cosmetic items and even weapons of your choice for your adventure. You also get to interact with other players in the hub and form gangs (read: groups).

Premium Currency called Poker Chits can be purchased from R* Store.

--------------

Reactions to such evolution of RDR2 would be so divided and interesting to see.

I respect your opinion but could not POSSIBLY disagree with you more. R* is the master of hand crafted, living, breathing worlds.

What is so living and breathing about NPC that is spawned one block up from you and despawned two blocks down from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom