• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption coming in 2017 according to Dev

giphy.gif

It's annoyed me to no end that we haven't heard about a sequel to probably, my favorite game of all time. I've easily played it start to finish at least 5 times and spent an insane amount of time playing liar's dice and poker. Such a great game and I was hoping for a PC release so it won't ever completely be lost to time. I hope they show anything at E3 for a sequel.

Red Dead Requiem/Retribution/Rebellion/Rampage/Really I don't give a shit, just give it to me Rockstar.

LycanXIII

It's the Red Dead brand, not the RDR brand. They even have a logo at the bottom of their page. So expect it to be called Red Dead 3, or another R word, not Redemption 2.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/

31M3aCt.png

RDR 2 is actually an add-on pack for GTA online set in the wild west.

Well, I did use John Marston as my character's father.

Red Dead Remaster please.

This "rumor" has been around forever lol.

And wasn't Legends of the West a DLC pack for RDR? Why reuse the same name?

EDIT: stupid St Pats. I shouldn't GAF and drink. I linked to the source of OP's post.

There was a Legends & Killers DLC pack.

Karak

LOL I asked shinobi hours ago if I missed something on GAF because RDR2 was trending on Facebook and apparently everybody missed it.

All likely bogus though.

So your saying he/she would leak highly NDA'd items. NDA's that state you can't even hint about a title? Or maybe thats EXACTLY WHATS HAPPENING MY GOD!

The Argus

This rumor was just second place on Reddit's default main page. Shit, the thirst is real. Rockstar will break the internet when they simply put a countdown clock up.

weekev

Banned
"Red Dead Redemption 2: Legends of the West" does not sound like a game title that Rockstar would come up with
It doesn't follow their naming convention either, red dead revolver, red dead redemption, red dead redemption 2 : legends of the West? #teamfake

Symphonia

Banned
Guys, I have lots of information about Red Dead Redemption 2, but I have nothing to prove any of it is true. Its okay, though, I worked for Rockstsr, so you can believe me. Also, grass is blue, and the moon is made of cheese.

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
Disgracefully I never got past the first hour of RDR on the PS3 as I am primarily a PC gamer. Hopefully a HD RDR remaster comes out for PC and this sequel comes out on PC in a quicker time frame than GTA V PC!

Stiler

I hope hope hope it's true.

I also hope it takes place earlier in the old west and isn't merely a "prequel" to the story of RDR, but instead an entirely new story/setting.

I wish we would get an old west game that'd deal more with Native Americans and allow you to play as one, tackle stories and issues with them without regulating them to background characters or making them caricatures.

woen

Still hope for a fall 2016 release and quick marketing campaign, starting at E3 with a reveal trailer.
but 2017 will be fine too, 2018 on PC, 2021 on next-gen

Ascenion

That entire title sounds fake. Red Dead Redemption 2? Come on I mean the series is Red Dead. I expect Red Dead 3 or a more clever title to give the RDR acronym like Revolver and Redemption.

GlamFM

Banned
That entire title sounds fake. Red Dead Redemption 2? Come on I mean the series is Red Dead. I expect Red Dead 3 or a more clever title to give the RDR acronym like Revolver and Redemption.

There never was a RDR2 so the next one being called 3 is highly unlikely.

it´s either Red Dead Something with R

or Red Dead Redemption 2

I believe the latter since for many the series started with Redemption and not Revolver.

GTA IV was not called VI although Vice City and San Andreas came out between 3 and 4.

Reposting for the new page:

Didn't we have this "Legends of the West" rumor a year ago already? There was a thread about it and even some supposed details that sounded too far fetched to be even remotely true. Something about multiple playable characters (that's not the far fetched part yet), which would be your NPC companions from Red Dead Redemption (Seth and Irish i think?), as well as a character you create yourself. According to the rumor it would be a prequel set during the gold rush or something and among other things you would see how Seth lost his family due to his obsession and how he became the weird guy he is in RDR.

There was more info, but it honestly sounded like fan fiction.

Edit:

Found it:

Hello. I am a former Rockstar game dev. I will not give any more personal information for my safety. My boss was a major D*** so this is why I am leaking info on the up coming Red Dead Redemption prequel.

The sequel will be called Red Dead Redemption 2: Legends of the West. Although it is the second (or third if you consider Undead Nightmare a sequel) game, It is chronologically before the original game. The game will take place in the same area as the original game, twelve years before the first original game.

There will be three playable characters, two of which are from the original game and one will be completely new and will not have much story line, Ill explain in a second. The two "main" characters are Irish and Seth. Irish will be brought up in Ireland and will move to the Americas when he is fifteen and moves to the game setting when he turns twenty one. Seth is from Kansas City and works as a teller in a bank. He then hears of a treasure and uses his life savings to bring his family to Texas in the town of Tumbleweed. Throughout the story we experience him unraveling to his state of mind in the original game, losing his wife, children, home, and possessions to his treasure. The third person is a character you create similar to multiplayer in GTA V. You choose his clothes and horse.

Although you can unlock outfits for Seth and Irish, the third person (Who you name) can acquire all different kinds of Western tops, bottoms, boots, gloves, and hats. Horses will also bring completely new customization to the game. You can choose there type/breed like the last game, but now you can also choose what saddle they have (with their own boosts and stats), storage, and paint. You can also buy your own safe house and customize it. Also, all of this carries over into multiplayer. There will be many new and more thought out stranger missions as well as roughly thirty campaign missions for both Seth and Irish. The third character can be involved in the campaign, but can not be used in missions. He will appear as a "gun for hire" and works with Seth and Irish, tying the stories together.

"You" (the third character) will be in free roam, but Irish and Seth can be called in as companions (but not be played as), as well as other people. You will meet many of the characters from the original game including young Bonny Macfarlane, Sherriff, and even John Marston, but he will still be in his gang.
A big new part of the RDR prequel is the new gang system. You can join several different gangs, or if you think you are up for it you can join the law enforcement of certain towns, but this will restrict you on things you can do like robbing. Although you can rob it might cost you your hard earned career and possibly your life. You can also bring in a posse (up to 4-8 friends) to single player, technically co op now. You can take on certain side missions and a few campaign missions with your posse.

RDR 2 LotW will be announced at the upcoming E3 event.
I don't expect you to believe me, but this is all true. I used to go to work every day and see this.
Thank you for your time, A former Rockstar employee and audio engineer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024432&highlight=red+dead

Either someone is warming up this old rumor or there's actually some truth in it. I totally believe that they are working on a new RDR, but the specifics of this rumor sound like BS. It's subtitled "Legends of the West" and you play as your old sidekicks and a create-a-character? OK. :)

that plus "Legends of the West" sounds quite weak by Rockstar's track record of more imaginative subtitles :D

Rembrandt

Banned
Reposting for the new page:

Didn't we have this "Legends of the West" rumor a year ago already? There was a thread about it and even some supposed details that sounded too far fetched to be even remotely true. Something about multiple playable characters (that's not the far fetched part yet), which would be your NPC companions from Red Dead Redemption (Seth and Irish i think?), as well as a character you create yourself. According to the rumor it would be a prequel set during the gold rush or something and among other things you would see how Seth lost his family due to his obsession and how he became the weird guy he is in RDR.

There was more info, but it honestly sounded like fan fiction.

Edit:

Found it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024432&highlight=red+dead

Either someone is warming up this old rumor or there's actually some truth in it. I totally believe that they are working on a new RDR, but the specifics of this rumor sound like BS. It's subtitled "Legends of the West" and you play as your old sidekicks and a create-a-character? OK. :)

while some of that sounds really good, I want each RD game to be separate from each other. the WW is too big of a thing to keep it contained to a certain set of characters. i do like everything involving creating your own character, though

The subtitle "Legends of the West" is not something I think R* would use, seems a little generic or boring.

Also revealing the game 1.5 years before release isn't Rockstars style anymore, the game will come out probably 6-8 months after announcement to capitalise on hype and fit their usual drip feed marketing style.

Further, Rockstar don't do E3, they already know they're bigger than that and can hold all games media attention on their own terms simply using their social media channels and website.

So yeah I call bullshit on this rumour but can't wait for that RDR 2 reveal, it's been too long!

woen

while some of that sounds really good, I want each RD game to be separate from each other. the WW is too big of a thing to keep it contained to a certain set of characters. i do like everything involving creating your own character, though

That's for the multiplayer, not the single player. This can't work in a Rockstar game, which uses lots of cutscenes and character development. You have customization, but for the character they created. It's not Bethesda or a random MMO. And it you really can build your character that means the animation has to be yours, or heavily customizable. But the GTA V multiplayer characters looks like end-of-PS2 hand-crafted animations. There's no comparison with the performance captured Trevor, Franklin and Michael and all their details (the son of Marston suffered a bit from that, the animation was not as good as his father's)

Also seeing Irish and Seth as main characters decades ago seems really unlikely, they're not leaders and aren't that interesting. Everything has been said on the last "universe" with Marston.

Multi-characters would be great though, it worked great in GTA V and can be better used especially in missions. That would allow one of them to be a woman so that Rockstar can build a good woman character in one of their games.

Please don't announce this a year and a half before release. Chances are far more likely it will be delayed. If Rockstar is going to pull that crap, then at least release a remaster of RDR in the meantime.

Moff

I am thinking I would wait for the pc port this time, if there even was one
but I know exactly I will buy this day 0 on ps4.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sounds fake. Red Dead is the series. I don't see them releasing a sequel to Redemption but just the 3rd game in the series.

This is like releasing "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas 2: Legends of the West Coast". It's gonna be "Red Dead R******" or maybe even simply "Red Dead III".

RDR3 is coming but I'm calling bullshit on this article and game title. Fall 2017 also seems a bit too far, knowing Rockstar they'd list a Spring release and then delay it to the fall a few months before release.

Gimme a RDR set a few years after the Civil War staring a farm girl who's family fled from the South and a Native American male. The girl once came from great fortune and a large plantation, rides English style, and is trying to move on from her now dead father's wicked ways. The other male character rides Western, is wary of white folk and the other tribes being forced into his land. They obviously hate each other on paper but shit happens and they have to work together. Rockstar magic.

I'd play it. Make the third character a freed slave trying to start a new life in the West.

Also Ween.

Alpende

As far as I know Rockstar hasn't been at E3 in forever, let alone announce stuff there. The title is a bit cheesy but as long as we get a new Red Dead game I don't care.

Rockstar pls.

Top Bottom