• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

etta

my hard graphic balls
I can't relate with the complaints at all, the trailer was awesome.
The main character has substance from the looks of things, and the voice acting is incredible as we've come to expect from the Rockstar.

I love BOTW – it’s probably going to end up being my GOTY – but can we please dispense with the notion that it reinvented the open-world game?

Because clearly it didn’t.

It’s one of the best examples of the genre to be certain but the idea that it represents some high bar that a seasoned developer like Rockstar should be chasing is ludicrous.

I know some people are dissapointed that Marston isn't the protagonist, but I'm actually really looking forward to how they handle him as an NPC (assuming he will be in this). Sometimes not completely focusing on a character can be quite powerful, like how KoTOR2 handled Revan. I like the feeling of characters lives being intertwined with each other's. It makes the game world seem much more alive.

Kallor

No way it ends up looking like that. Some of those shots have that original Witcher 3 before the downgrade shiny look to them.

(yes shiny lol)

Van Bur3n

Speaking of Western films, you can see that clear inspiration from the wonderful cinematography of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Stiler

Sign me up for the outlaw psychos! The more vile, the better!

I loved Marston like we all did, but I’m tired of the flawed anti-heroes. I’d like to be purely evil, with added character complexity surrounding maybe money, but not mixed motivation. A gang to rob, steal, kill - until they start hunting and turning on each other.

The thing, most game players don't like being evil. There's a reason that the majority of protags in books/movies/games are good guys. We like to see villains and a good villain can really help elevate a story, but it's hard for most people to "root" for a villain or identify with them.

On top of this, pretty much every rockstar game you're playing a bad guy, who's merely on a story to take revenge or something. Marston wasn't a good guy, he murdered, stole, etc it was just in his late years that the game took place that he was trying to get revenge for what happened to him.

It'd be nice, for once, if we were able to play characters that were morally good or were not murdering thieves/criminals.

Let us play as a Native American, show something different in terms of story then your cliched "gruff white man takes on someone that he thinks wronged him" which is what the trailer seemed to be pointing toward.

bomma_man

I have no doubt that the world will be amazing but I hope R* take a leaf out of MGSV’s book when it comes to open world mission design and tool kits (and “gamefeel”). The single player campaign in recent R* games has been like a linear uncharted campaign within an open world - the open world is there for atmosphere rather than anything gameplay related.

KooopaKid

Banned
Same could be said for an open structure.

A whole lot of player agency wouldn't be bad.

I have no doubt that the world will be amazing but I hope R* take a leaf out of MGSV's book when it comes to open world mission design and tool kits (and ”gamefeel"). The single player campaign in recent R* games has been like a linear uncharted campaign within an open world - the open world is there for atmosphere rather than anything gameplay related.

Exactly. It's all cosmetics at this point. Drive A to B, play set-piece shoot-out.

No way it ends up looking like that. Some of those shots have that original Witcher 3 before the downgrade shiny look to them.

(yes shiny lol)

I sure as hell hope not. It's not looking good in some parts and not too hot in others. The good parts don't look impossibly good to me.

Larogue

Feels like a downgrade from the previous trailer.

Characters are stiff, and overall graphics feels like GTA V in westworld.

The thing, most game players don't like being evil. There's a reason that the majority of protags in books/movies/games are good guys. We like to see villains and a good villain can really help elevate a story, but it's hard for most people to "root" for a villain or identify with them.

On top of this, pretty much every rockstar game you're playing a bad guy, who's merely on a story to take revenge or something. Marston wasn't a good guy, he murdered, stole, etc it was just in his late years that the game took place that he was trying to get revenge for what happened to him.

It'd be nice, for once, if we were able to play characters that were morally good or were not murdering thieves/criminals.

Let us play as a Native American, show something different in terms of story then your cliched "gruff white man takes on someone that he thinks wronged him" which is what the trailer seemed to be pointing toward.

Yeah but you are a hero in like every other game so I am down with the villainous protagonists in Rockstar games.

Basketball

Does Rockstar still own the Rage Engine w/Euphoria

I swear I heard a story where Zynga (Don Mattrick) bought Natural Motions

right after GTA V.

I hope the game still has those awesome body physics.

Regardless, I'm perfectly fine with Morgan being a ruthless outlaw. It's not impossible for such a character to be compelling. If anything, they have a much greater chance of becoming a more interesting character than the same played out "I tried to get out, but they pulled me back in" character of Rockstar games.
If anything, that would make the game’s story pretty unique among westerns. We’ve gotten tons of ruthless criminals as protagonists in mafia/crime movies but Westerns tend to revolve around the lawman, the former outlaw seeking redemption, the roaming gunslinger, the bounty hunter, the “robin hood” bank robber, the hunter/mountain man, etc

Few feature ruthless outlaws as the protagonists like crime and mafia movies do. The Wild Bunch, The Proposition, Assassination of Jesse James, any others?

So, it's a prequel?

Because that's the only way I see this working. The first game's story and setting (and intertwining) were so unique and special, and I don't know what a sequel would do with the Western genre.

This is a decent analysis of the trailer.

https://youtu.be/viraQ9CJslI

At 2 they talk about the possibility of multiple protagonists. How the second trailer also showed multiple characters, but didn't we already by then knew it would have character switching? I recall that Game Informer article fully talking about it and that was even before the second trailer iirc.

Robot Pants

Gotta say that trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

Cause I know the story is gonna suffer and be rather lame just like all Rockstar open world games.

Call me crazy but I think they need to adopt a story mode and a free roam mode separately.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Those are both the vibes you'll get from the game. The open world naturalism and simulation contrasted with bursts of violence and a typical Rockstar story. Both of them feel appropriate to what the game will be.

Problem is neither trailer is particularly memorable.

the debut trailer is plenty memorable for me, but that's mostly due to the amazing scenery + music combo.

this one...less so, though i do find Morgan's VO and line delivery to be pretty spot-on.

dreamfall

I hear you, but we just have different desires on what we want. I want three protagonists, I want one of them to be Native American - and involved the gang fully up until s/he gets double crossed. I want the protagonist to be that woman also, and I’d like her to adopt a much rawer masculine identity than the rest of the outlaws - much deadlier, much more ruthless. I don’t think I enjoy the Lawmen side of it - trying to rustle up and capture the evil doers. I’d like to be on the opposite side entirely.

I figure maybe since playing Mafia III, I’d like an approach with the same grittiness. Maybe the character was enacting on revenge, or is humanized to be in a struggle they think is just, but what s/he is doing is considered morally evil. That brutality can have nuance- if these outlaws are killing and stealing to build a community no matter who is caught in the crossfire, I feel like it’s more compelling to me than potential grey lines drawn on corruption and power of law enforcement.

I love Rockstar games. I thought the animations in this trailer looked rather stiff and last gen though. I'm day one, but doesn't look good from a graphical standpoint.

I don't doubt that the story will be excellent.

I don't care for either trailer really. Rockstar has done much better before. But the actual content in the trailer? Looks great. I am fine with how it looks as is, if they improve on it that would be great. Plus that Jesse James homage was dope

ODDI

Gotta say that trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

Cause I know the story is gonna suffer and be rather lame just like all Rockstar open world games.

Call me crazy but I think they need to adopt a story mode and a free roam mode separately.

Sooooooooooo you dislike the open world aspect of their games or dislike R* storytelling?

Mercador

I love Rockstar games. I thought the animations in this trailer looked rather stiff and last gen though. I'm day one, but doesn't look good from a graphical standpoint.

I don't doubt that the story will be excellent.
Same here

Can't wait to play it but the graphics aspect looked dated. Guess I'm spoiled by Horizon.

The Wild Bunch, Jesse James, and countless crime movies have shown you can do compelling stories and nuanced characters with outlaws, criminals, and killers

There's a big difference between watching characters do terrible things and inhabiting a character doing terrible things. Some people don't have the stomach for the latter. And I'd question how nuanced the RDR2 characters are going to be.

I'm also curious to see how this turns out now that R* doesn't have The Benz anymore to clean up Houser's mess.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I was actually a bit disappointed in the trailer. I'm not big on Rockstar games. I'm not big on open world games. But I'm always super impressed by Rockstar's trailers.

Trailer #2 for GTAV is one of the best trailers ever.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I liked the trailer and I'm really looking forward to the game but I have to say that graphics wise, outside of the main characters face in cut scenes I found the visuals to be rather underwhelming after expecting to be blown away.

Anyone done comparisons between the screenshots they released a few months ago and the gameplay from the trailer yet? I don't want to shout "downgrade!" but it didn't look as impressive to me for some reason.

I think it's a mix of GTAV being such a great Remaster with the way they improved especially the foliage and games such as Horizon and GR: Wildlands showing huge open Worlds with great draw distances, foliage and the same organic gameplay of animals hunting each other. All of that and I think we're at a point now where most AAA games look phenomenal.

But still, I love me some Rockstar games so roll on Spring 2018!
Or whenever we get it!

I doubt there's multiple playable protags. R* love to be seen as innovators and if GTA V's innovation was 3 playable protags, why would they do the exact same thing? and for their first truly next gen game? I'd be surprised.

Top Bottom