• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

I liked the trailer and I'm really looking forward to the game but I have to say that graphics wise, outside of the main characters face in cut scenes I found the visuals to be rather underwhelming after expecting to be blown away.

PS4 and Pro holding it back, they will beauty up the texture and res for One X version, that will be the definitive version of the game.

No system is holding this game back.

Sorry, I should have worded it differently...

Not necessarily holding it back, but this game has been being developed for older tech and has been in development for years already, as in Xbox and PS4. What were seeing is not the polished One X version, not to mention the trailer is only 1080p.

As far as visuals the best is yet to come.

I think the game looks great, my only nit pick is the character animations have not improved since the first game, but not a big deal.

Rockstar knows you'll all buy it regardless. They'll release a gameplay trailer 3-4 months before launch to maximize hype.

PC gamers when it comes to Rockstar PC ports.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

KageMaru

Not necessarily holding it back, but this game has been being developed for older tech and has been in development for years already, as in Xbox and PS4. What were seeing is not the polished One X version, not to mention the trailer is only 1080p.

I think the game looks great, my only nit pick is the character animations have not improved since the first game, but not a big deal.

Unfortunately unless there's a PC version planned, it's unlikely they will create higher resolution assets just for the 1X version. I know a PC version is likely, but I won't get my hopes up until it's announced. They released a PC version of GTA4, just to ignore the PC with RDR. What I expect from the 1X version is a higher resolution and maybe some improved effects. It'll be interesting to see how far they push the Pro and 1x.

Gold_Loot

uh, if you think there's going to be some big difference between the the onex and pro version. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment for sure.

You'll see a few tweaks, a slight bump to the base resolution,and that's about it.

TLZ

Banned
So is Jack Marston in this as the playable character but they're not showing us? Or is this a prequel without the Marstons?

Looks alright. Visuals aren't mindblowing, but gameplay footage is all I care about, and there wasn't any here (or maybe there was a few seconds?).

And no Rockstar, I am not going to preorder from your website. Good grief, just put it up on Amazon already.

Looks amazing, can't wait to experience it. Favorite game of last gen. In fact it's the game that got my 55 year old dad into gaming on console. Family favorite.

Robot Pants

So is Jack Marston in this as the playable character but they're not showing us? Or is this a prequel without the Marstons?
Didn’t the voice actor of John Marston say he’s really really retired?
Unless Rockstar pays him a shit ton of money. I see them somehow writing around Marston instead of paying the voice actor again.

TLZ

Banned
This is a prequel, so if any Marston is in it would be John. Jack is John's son.
I know he is, that's why I mentioned him. I just wanted to know if this is a sequel or a prequel. But it's a prequel now so Jack's obviously out the window. I'm hoping for a young John Marston at least now.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Some people are way over estimating the power difference between a pro and the x to think the pro is holding back the game.

I agree to an extent but doesn't the X have like 4GB's more RAM? I imagine there's going to be higher resolution textures at minimum aswell as a higher base resolution and better texture filtering due to the more powerful GPU. It will certainly look better on the X but how much better will be up for debate.

I will be playing the game on PS4 Pro personally as I can't be bothered blowing another $500 on an X when there is already companies hiring for next gen projects, rumours of the specs and a possible 25th Anniversary celebration of Playstation with a late 2019 release of PS5 which would be around 18 months after the launch of RDR2 (if it's not delayed again).

I am still disappointed they didn’t come up with another “r” word. I get it, branding, but come on.

Was thinking about that earlier today too. Everything about this game so far seems to feel a little off. The repeated use of "Redemption," the tacky "2" in the original logo, the lukewarm trailer and its take-or-leave characters (save for the Bonnie MacFarlane-esque woman)...

I'm still hoping this game turns into something special but so far it's reminding me of a "direct-to-video" sequel.

I agree to an extent but doesn't the X have like 4GB's more RAM? I imagine there's going to be higher resolution textures at minimum aswell as a higher base resolution and better texture filtering due to the more powerful GPU. It will certainly look better on the X but how much better will be up for debate.

I will be playing the game on PS4 Pro personally as I can't be bothered blowing another $500 on an X when there is already companies hiring for next gen projects, rumours of the specs and a possible 25th Anniversary celebration of Playstation with a late 2019 release of PS5 which would be around 18 months after the launch of RDR2 (if it's not delayed again).

If Sony is doing a 25th anniversary of PlayStation with PS5, it won't be happening until 2020. PS1 was released on 9-9-95. I was in line for that one. :)

Simo

Didn’t the voice actor of John Marston say he’s really really retired?
Unless Rockstar pays him a shit ton of money. I see them somehow writing around Marston instead of paying the voice actor again.

He retired after RDR but he also did a bunch of convention showings too. He remarked how much he enjoyed the role and how good it was to work for Rockstar so I doubt he would turn down a good paying gig.

The VAs for Bill and Dutch came back and obviously the stinger featuring Dutch shows John would have to make a appearance.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
p8m2p3wmsooz.png

This guy in the night time train robbery scene looking like Marston to me...

Oh definitely, with the eyes, and the hand, and the cowboy thing he's got going on. I think I see an ear too; Marston had at least one of those.

It was released on Dec. 3rd, 1994 in Japan.

Looks like were both correct then. A 25th anniversary for PS5 in North America would be late 2020, i do not see Sony going with the Japanese date if they are going to use the "Anniversary" marketing strategy, North America is a much bigger market and would be much more effective here. Also, 2019 IMO is wishful thinking for PS5, i have always said and am sticking with a late 2020 release. Makes much more sense, and a 2020 release gives Sony more time for Tech prices to go down to make an affordable true next gen machine.

uh, if you think there's going to be some big difference between the the onex and pro version. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment for sure.

You'll see a few tweaks, a slight bump to the base resolution,and that's about it.

Was a mistake on my part putting Pro in there. No, absolutely i agree with you.

Sanctuary

Well, of course it's still beautiful to look at, but will it be as beatifully dull to play as the previous? Great scenery and decent cutscenes don't make good gameplay. It needs to be more than GTA + horses.

Pineapple

Gotta say that trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

Same. 8 years ago Rockstar could get away with releasing a cinematic trailer and enamoring everyone, but they're not the only ones making open world games anymore.

Some recent open world games that had far better trailers than this -

Horizon: Zero Dawn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk

Breath of the Wild (GOAT trailer) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Witcher 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MyR_Z3i1w

Rockstar is going to have to show me more to convince me that they're still the king of open world games, because this trailer was nothing special.

Van Bur3n

p8m2p3wmsooz.png

This guy in the night time train robbery scene looking like Marston to me...

He looks like a bandit with his face covered.

Guys, not every cowboy you see is John Marston.

I am still disappointed they didn't come up with another ”r" word. I get it, branding, but come on.

Even more so because I feel it only limits what the story can be about. One can only expect at some point in the story the main protagonist is going to seek some kind of redemption. Even still, you can only use so many "r" words before you end up using something as overused as "revelations". Quite honestly, I think just sticking with "Red Dead" would have been an okay option.

But man, I can't stop watching the trailer. I'm just too excited for this game.

Gitaroo

Same. 8 years ago Rockstar could get away with releasing a cinematic trailer and enamoring everyone, but they're not the only ones making open world games anymore.

Rockstar is going to have to show me more to convince me that they're still the king of open world games, because this trailer was nothing special.

I would throw in days gone also, while the game might not have a nicely edited cinematic trailer beside the old reveal trailer, technically I think it looks much better. Just the texture alone is much much more detail if you look at the 4k gameplay from e3. Ps4 pro definitely isnt holding anything back, if snythjng xbox one is the lowest common denominator.

Van Bur3n

Haven't we known that this would be a prequel for a year now?

Probably could have guessed before that, as there isn't much wild west after the original Red Dead Redemption. The only direction the series could have gone is back into the past. Don't know why some people thought another game would be a sequel involving Jack Marston.

Basketball

be honest
Rockstar does not need a trailer for most people
with Red Dead and GTA
Just the game title, the logo

and a release date .... done

The trailer wasn't intended to show off their open world though. That'll come later.

They don't even need to show their open world. None of the games you mentioned come close to Rockstar's open worlds.

Disclaimer: The Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time.

I can't get over how much of a relentless asshole Arthur is in this trailer. It's making me laugh more and more every time I watch it.

I'm convinced there will be a major twist to this.

Top Bottom