• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

So GTAForums guys dug something interesting up. Turns out about a year ago there was a thread on reddit about the leaked map and a user named "reddeadinsider" dropped some info but nobody really believed him so he deleted his account.

Funny thing is digging up his info and well..either he was legit or extremly lucky with the details matching up. Below is his post that I cleaned up a bit and if true, be warned for spoilers...

A link to where some of his comments turned up.

Man, I mean I don't know. The fact he got the main protagonists name right and the idea of the Pinkertons chasing you along with the dialog heard about the gang being chased over 3 states...maybe some of it was true?
This makes sense. I imagine a lot of Rockstar devs would be unhappy with the focus on GTAO.

Also I can see RDR2 being in development hell. The expectations are just so high. Rockstar games have great gameplay and a great open world, but their stories and characters are usually middle-of-the-road. With Red Dead Redemption they managed to make a game with great gameplay, a great open world, great characters, and a great story. They made a Game of the Generation. It must be insanely difficult and stressful to make something that lived up to if not exceeds that.

KORNdoggy

Rockstar games have great gameplay and a great open world, but their stories and characters are usually middle-of-the-road. With Red Dead Redemption they managed to make a game with great gameplay, a great open world, great characters, and a great story.

this seems so backwards to me. R* are known for middling gameplay if anything, with archaic lock on combat systems and movement that feels like you're running through tar. the one thing they do well is characters and story. but i actually feel RDR is an example of where that WASN'T true. i can't remember any of the supporting cast or the story. i just remember locations.

honestly, seeing RDR2 has given me a new found appreciation for AC's visuals.

SomTervo

Rockstar games have great gameplay and a great open world, but their stories and characters are usually middle-of-the-road.

IDK, it's not as clear-cut as that.

A lot of people have criticisms of Rockstar sandbox gameplay. From floaty controls to never-quite-right gunplay/combat systems (be it cover, aiming, etc). My personal beef is the lack of a mid/high level gameplay loop (it's all in the moment, movement or combat, there's no long-term risk, challenge or strategy) - funnily enough the biggest thing that Chinatown Wars on the 3DS got right (the randomised drug dealing empire-building system).

Indeed, I've spoken to several Rockstar devs over the years who admit that even in-house they have a lot of reservations with the gameplay and open worlds they create. But the solutions to the problems are generally Mount Everest in size, so it's impossible to hold it against them.

And re stories, I think you're dead wrong. I think all of their characters are excellent. I genuinely can't think of a bad character made by Rockstar's narrative team.

It's the plot that often is the tripping block. Because it's hard to make a punchy and compelling plot that carries energy over such a long and broad experience. Indeed, Red Dead Redemption took some big risks and by-and-large they paid off big time, but the story is still not safe from criticism.

I think you really need glasses. Show me a 3rd party open world game with better models and lighting.
assassins creed is third party?!?

Uh... AC is 3rd party, right? Like Ubisoft are a giant publisher but not owned by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo so still technically 3rd party?

Rellik

This makes sense. I imagine a lot of Rockstar devs would be unhappy with the focus on GTAO.

Also I can see RDR2 being in development hell. The expectations are just so high. Rockstar games have great gameplay and a great open world, but their stories and characters are usually middle-of-the-road. With Red Dead Redemption they managed to make a game with great gameplay, a great open world, great characters, and a great story. They made a Game of the Generation. It must be insanely difficult and stressful to make something that lived up to if not exceeds that.

The first one was in development hell as well. Multiple articles around the net detailing what a disaster it was.

SomTervo

Something about the Ass Creed Origins faces looks mannequin esque, Red Dead 2 looks better in that regard, at least to me.

I think for RDR2 they've got some pretty insane musculature rigging going on. So much nuance on so many points on each face.

AC definitely looks more broad-strokes. Only their mouths and eyes are really moving.

Funnily enough I find RDR2 weirder to look at. Never really felt it before but this must be what uncanny valley feels like.

I think for RDR2 they've got some pretty insane musculature rigging going on. So much nuance on so many points on each face.

AC definitely looks more broad-strokes. Only their mouths and eyes are really moving.

Funnily enough I find RDR2 weirder to look at. Never really felt it before but this must be what uncanny valley feels like.

AC seems to have gone all in on little RPG side missions, so there's probably way too much dialogue to dedicate a complex facial animation system/performance capture rig to. Plus Ubi's never really shown a ton of prowess at that tbh.

And yeah, I agree that RDR2 has some mean uncanny valley stuff going on. It's more realistic but also unnatural which almost undercuts all of that hard work. The less stylized Rockstar's art gets, the more their weaknesses stick out.

I would say that Ubi has surpassed Rockstar when it comes to graphics. Origins looks superb and Far Cry 5, also completely open world looks pretty damn good and perhaps better than what we've seen so far of RDR2. Maybe it really is a case of a game releasing much later than planned. It's too early to say yet, let's wait until we play it ourselves.

Coffinhal

So GTAForums guys dug something interesting up. Turns out about a year ago there was a thread on reddit about the leaked map and a user named "reddeadinsider" dropped some info but nobody really believed him so he deleted his account.

Funny thing is digging up his info and well..either he was legit or extremly lucky with the details matching up. Below is his post that I cleaned up a bit and if true, be warned for spoilers...

Man, I mean I don't know. The fact he got the main protagonists name right and the idea of the Pinkertons chasing you along with the dialog heard about the gang being chased over 3 states...maybe some of it was true?

Sad story if true, I wouldn't have the biggest expectations for the game.

Goddamn it. There's no way to know for sure of course but if long timers really quit because of GTAO and no doubt other reasons, that's not a good sign. And RDR2 and development hell is not what you'd like to hear.

But then again, didn't RDR went into development hell as well? And wasn't it about RDR when wives of Rockstar employees went against Rockstar with serious complaints concerning health and wellbeing?

Megaton.

Am I a downer for thinking this will be delayed to Autumn 2018, just like GTA V?

Not at all. I'm fully expecting that as well. Already was and even more so after Simo's post.

And if it turns out the game just isn't ready then so be it, but i really hope it will be. So many years into this generation and nothing from them. And i fucking miss their input.

Goddamn it. There's no way to know for sure of course but if long timers really quit because of GTAO and no doubt other reasons, that's not a good sign. And RDR2 and development hell is not what you'd like to hear.

But then again, didn't RDR went into development hell as well? And wasn't it about RDR when wives of Rockstar employees went against Rockstar with serious complaints concerning health and wellbeing?

Yes, and you would expect them to get better at that, not maintain the horrible management.

Because of this stuff I am still on the fence about supporting this game or not to be honest

bengraven

I was actually just thinking about something today and that fits in with it.

I was thinking that maybe Morgan becomes like a father figure to young John. John is still reckless and emotional and in love with the camp whore and Morgan starts to straighten him out as part of his redemption arc. At the end of the game Morgan tells him “when the time comes keep running and don’t look back“ and then he’s killed. Then, similar to RDR1 you will take over as John Marston and seek vengeance for Morgan and leave Dutch’s gang to start a new life.

Not only would this be great for story, but it would be a good way to tie in both games thematically as well as narratively. Plus would help all those people that were disappointed that they couldn’t play is John during the endgame of the first one .

bengraven

I remember all of the bad feelings because rockstar wife said that the game was a complete mess and was going to be a massive failure. She was right about it being a mess but they patched that fucker up pretty well. Buggy as shit sometimes but it wasn’t a disaster obviously. Just a horse walking upside down occasionally.

NateDog

Am I a downer for thinking this will be delayed to Autumn 2018, just like GTA V?
When they first delayed it to "Spring 2018" I thought that the earliest we'll end up seeing it is September, I'll stick with that but looking at posts above if the game really is in development hell (and with no Benzies around to bail them about) I can't see it even being that early.

kc44135

Kinda disappointed with this trailer. It was just too short, and just didn't show up enough considering how long it's been since the initial reveal trailer, and how silent Rockstar has been since then. Still very excited and hopeful for the final game, but let down we didn't get any actual gameplay (or even any details on the game itself), or even a solid release date (this honestly makes me doubtful of "Spring 2018" ...). All we get from this trailer is that it's a prequel, which everybody seemed to be assuming it was anyway.

I was thinking that maybe Morgan becomes like a father figure to young John. John is still reckless and emotional and in love with the camp whore and Morgan starts to straighten him out as part of his redemption arc. At the end of the game Morgan tells him “when the time comes keep running and don’t look back“ and then he’s killed. Then, similar to RDR1 you will take over as John Marston and seek vengeance for Morgan and leave Dutch’s gang to start a new life.

Not only would this be great for story, but it would be a good way to tie in both games thematically as well as narratively. Plus would help all those people that were disappointed that they couldn’t play is John during the endgame of the first one .
I like all of this, actually. Morgan wasn't doing much for me in this trailer, but this could be an awesome arc for him.

ODDI

After all the silence this trailer is really underwhelming... I'd rather they do this type of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8ptmcCHMI&index=12&list=PL9B578F2B58812A33

Waaaaaaaay too early for that, especially if we get another delay.

What if RDR II is the RDR remaster we wanted all along? 🤔
Honestly that's not a bad idea.

bengraven

I think we’re almost certain to have one of those “day in the life of Arthur Morgan” style videos. Likely more than one. “Horses in red dead redemption two” and “hunting for profit” for example.

I think everyone is in agreement that those of the best trailers even when they’re not a rockstar made one.

That said, going by past experience, we won’t get one until about a month before the game is released.

Sam L. Jackson in San Andreas?
Axl Rose in San Andreas?

Well, we don't know how far into development SA was at the time Liotta made those comments. But if you look at what they refer to as the HD Generation, the big celebrities they've had tend to be restricted to comedy acts (like Ricky Gervais in GTA4) or radio stations (like Cara Delevingne in GTAV). The main cast are made up of unknowns. Even in GTASA, CJ was played by an unknown.

I would say that Ubi has surpassed Rockstar when it comes to graphics. Origins looks superb and Far Cry 5, also completely open world looks pretty damn good and perhaps better than what we've seen so far of RDR2. Maybe it really is a case of a game releasing much later than planned. It's too early to say yet, let's wait until we play it ourselves.

Ill agree with this...sort of. I think Ubi's games have better texture detail in general but Rockstar is much better at designing places that look and feel like real places. Their atmospheric details are much better than Ubi games most of the time.

Yes, and you would expect them to get better at that, not maintain the horrible management.

Because of this stuff I am still on the fence about supporting this game or not to be honest

Well, we don't know for sure if the conditions are still as terrible there as back then with RDR though. So in terms of how people are being treated in terms of their health and everything. But yeah, it's clear things haven't been all great. And can't forget about that Leslie Benzies stuff too. Such a shame that this has to happen to such an amazingly talented studio, one of the best really in my book.

As for supporting or not supporting this situation by buying the game, i get you. On the other hand if we all end up not buying it all the immensely hard work that was put into this is all for nothing really. I kinda look at it like that as well.

I remember all of the bad feelings because rockstar wife said that the game was a complete mess and was going to be a massive failure. She was right about it being a mess but they patched that fucker up pretty well. Buggy as shit sometimes but it wasn't a disaster obviously. Just a horse walking upside down occasionally.

It was buggy yeah, but never insanely unplayable buggy. It wasn't like AC Unity for example. Most of the bugs i encountered were funny as hell. The walking horse/dog man i believe, and bouncing horse carriages as if they were lowriders, hahaha.

Ill agree with this...sort of. I think Ubi's games have better texture detail in general but Rockstar is much better at designing places that look and feel like real places. Their atmospheric details are much better than Ubi games most of the time.

That's true. But Ubi really improved on that too. I am still impressed with the NPCs in Watch Dogs 2 for example, really great stuff. And i am very excited about Origins and i have been damn tired of AC for a while now. But that one seems to be bringing new stuff, things it badly needed.

Well, we don't know for sure if the conditions are still as terrible there as back then with RDR though. So in terms of how people are being treated in terms of their health and everything. But yeah, it's clear things haven't been all great. And can't forget about that Leslie Benzies stuff too. Such a shame that this has to happen to such an amazingly talented studio, one of the best really in my book.

As for supporting or not supporting this situation by buying the game, i get you. On the other hand if we all end up not buying it all the immensely hard work that was put into this is all for nothing really. I kinda look at it like that as well.

It was buggy yeah, but never insanely unplayable buggy. It wasn't like AC Unity for example. Most of the bugs i encountered were funny as hell. The walking horse/dog man i believe, and bouncing horse carriages as if they were lowriders, hahaha.

That's true. But Ubi really improved on that too. I am still impressed with the NPCs in Watch Dogs 2 for example, really great stuff. And i am very excited about Origins and i have been damn tired of AC for a while now. But that one seems to be bringing new stuff, things it badly needed.

That's why i am on the fence, when i was younger i supported them all the way, but learning all these things really sour me on the management team, especially when you see senior staff leaving due to burnout/disagreements with management

UrbanRats

Why would they do that as first thing to show? And Why are people acting like they won't release more trailers. Have patience. GTA V had 8 trailers before release.

The first trailer for RDR1 was terrible.

First trailer for RDR was great.
This is the second trailer for RDR 2.

The second RDR trailer gave a better idea of what the fuck was going on.

OléGunner;250388690 said:
ITT some people think this looks like a PS3 game.
Hilarious.

I think it's because they're legitimately using in-game footage and not recording it all with a much higher resolution and IQ than consoles will be capable of (like most game trailers do). You can clearly see aliasing issues with the image quality, and AF issues on the low res ground textures. Things all games have but are usually hidden in trailers. I suppose people could argue this makes it a poor way to showcase the game to generate hype, but I don't think anyone should be concerned that this won't look fantastic in person. This is a very high quality console game, with common console issues that all games have.

SomTervo

AC seems to have gone all in on little RPG side missions, so there's probably way too much dialogue to dedicate a complex facial animation system/performance capture rig to. Plus Ubi's never really shown a ton of prowess at that tbh.

And yeah, I agree that RDR2 has some mean uncanny valley stuff going on. It's more realistic but also unnatural which almost undercuts all of that hard work. The less stylized Rockstar's art gets, the more their weaknesses stick out.

100%. IIRC in a lot of high-budget games facial animation is done procedurally at least up to a certain point while facial capture is usually deployed for cutscenes. Looks like Ubisoft are leaving AC's facial anims in the hands of procedural systems, at least for cutscenes like that, while Rockstar are doing loads of hand-tweaking?

Could be an inappropriate comparison, but hey.

It's very interesting to see how Naughty Dog have gracefully handled faces moving into current-gen while Rockstar, possibly, haven't. I think you're onto something re stylisation being the beef. Naughty Dog have always been committed to pretty hefty stylisation. Maybe Rockstar are trying to move too far into a representative/realistic approach, and the lack of stylisation is making it stick out more than usual?

I think it's because they're legitimately using in-game footage and not recording it all with a much higher resolution and IQ than consoles will be capable of (like most game trailers do). You can clearly see aliasing issues with the image quality, and AF issues on the low res ground textures. Things all games have but are usually hidden in trailers. I suppose people could argue this makes it a poor way to showcase the game to generate hype, but I don't think anyone should be concerned that this won't look fantastic in person. This is a very high quality console game, with common console issues that all games have.

When you imagine having a controller in hand and making things we see in this trailer move... it becomes a very different ballgame

Eolz

That would be fantastic!

LordofPwn

Finally watched the trailer. I'm feeling pretty meh about it right now. Just not grabbing me. Maybe once it's closer to launch and I see some gameplay it'll suck me in.

Fjordson

After all the silence this trailer is really underwhelming... I'd rather they do this type of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8ptmcCHMI&index=12&list=PL9B578F2B58812A33
That stuff comes much closer to release. The first gameplay series video for RDR dropped in late March and the game came out in May. They'll probably do that stuff again, but we won't see it until next year.

I can't get over how much of a relentless asshole Arthur is in this trailer. It's making me laugh more and more every time I watch it.

I'm convinced there will be a major twist to this.
It's great.

His delivery and facial expression for the"I'll keep her in black - on your behalf." line is fantastic.

Rflagg

His delivery and facial expression for the"I'll keep her in black - on your behalf." line is fantastic.
This might be my favorite part of the trailer(which I have watched way too many times).

I am surprised at so many hoping for playable Marston as Morgan looks interesting at least too me and I basically get wild west Trevor vibes form him in this trailer. A playable Marston wouldn't ruin the game for me or anything, but I would prefer as few connections as possible to the first redemption, the reason being I would prefer both to stand on their own merits.

Don't really care about this series (shooter, cowboy setting), but it is certainly a looker.

PossibleHugeDalmatian.gif

OléGunner;250388690 said:
ITT some people think this looks like a PS3 game.
Hilarious.

B-b-but GTAV looked better!

Nostalgia's a bitch lol.

Are there any good Red Dead retrospective/analysis type videos on YT? I'd like to watch some in anticipation, plus to refresh my memory on what happened.

Y'all are smoking some shit. The lighting seems way ahead of other open world games. Dynamic lighting, light shafts and atmospherics everywhere. Mist above the plains, lit smoke coming off the train, clouds. Characters have a ton of detail in cutscenes at least. I'm mostly impressed with the massive leap in character art style from GTA V, which was flat out terrible.

I'm also relieved that the story and characters are still grounded and serious. I was afraid they'd go full GTA with over the top caricatures. I think that's part of the reason I like RDR so much vs GTA, because they aren't trying and failing so hard at satire.

I want to see how their control and gameplay systems have evolved though. Their stuff is still jank even in GTAV remasters with tons of input lag and often overly complicated controls.

Simo

Yeah that would be great. To piggyback off the potential spoiler info..
as John you've escaped the law and left the gang to start a new life with your family. Spending the final hours of the game building your ranch, experience family life,
being a farmer etc as time passes on.

Then a group of men show up on horses. Knock on the door. Marston answers.

"Good morning, Mr. Marston..."

It's Edgar Ross and the law.

Cut to title and credits.

Ahasverus

Yeah that would be great. To piggyback off the potential spoiler info..
as John you've escaped the law and left the gang to start a new life with your family. Spending the final hours of the game building your ranch, experience family life,
being a farmer etc as time passes on.

Then a group of men show up on horses. Knock on the door. Marston answers.

"Good morning, Mr. Marston..."

It's Edgar Ross and the law.

Cut to title and credits.
I'd probably have an orgasm

Top Bottom