• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf Series XI and XII Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
This season has been really good so far. Feels like proper Dwarf episodes again, even if the cast have been a bit rusty at times
(Kryten get your accent sorted!)

So happy it's back!

I am yet to watch any of the new episodes. I'm catching up with the whole lot and I'm currently half way through series 4. I'm lukewarm on the first two series, 3-6 were amazing, 7-8 were disappointing and I haven't seen anything after that. Looking forward to catching up with 10 & these new series.

Loving season XI so far, all 3 episodes have been solid and episode 2 was bloody brilliant. The exchange between Lister and Cat when they were trapped, with Cat getting the invention of gravity mixed up with gravy was pure comedy gold, like they had never been away.

RangerX

Banned
I don't think its been great at all so far. All the characters feel off,except for Cat, and a lot of the jokes fall flat. Everything went downhill after Rob Grant left. Naylor just isn't that good on his own.

liquidtmd

Banned
Three episodes in, I'm striking the odd smile and it's definitely improving with each episode.

That said I'm not feeling it like I did X as that had its groove back somewhat better than this. Gotta say I'm not digging Kryten at all - from 3 to 6 to even 7 and 8 you felt he was progressing as a character.

He feels now like a caricature of the robot he was playing in Series 3. Cats is like that to an extent but less grating and whilst I appreciate the same could be viewed of Lister and Rimmer, that's far more seamless. Kryten is back to being a complete buffoon.

tomtom94

For the second time in two episodes I felt genuinely unnerved by the villain, which for me suggests something is a bit off about the tone.

This was a great episode, though - as was mentioned above, can't go wrong with Rimmer.

spunodi

These abrupt endings...

I had the crazy thought they're deliberate and part of a subtle series arc where there's a time distortion of some sort in the finale that cuts off sentences, maybe to feed off lack of closure.

This of course is just how modern television has rotted my brain.

DBT85

These abrupt endings...

I had the crazy thought they're deliberate and part of a subtle series arc where there's a time distortion of some sort in the finale that cuts off sentences, maybe to feed off lack of closure.

This of course is just how modern television has rotted my brain.

Thank the fact that they're now on a commercial channel and so have less time on air. Wondering if the dvd/bluray releases will be less like this.

Ep 4 was great. the funniest yet. oh, but the cuts and that ending. They even took a few bars out of the end theme here and there.

watching RD on TV has made me realise the 1080p Full HD set I bought at the start of the year doesn't actually have a Freeview HD tuner (despite it being listed as having one). so SD until I get the bluray on the cheap later on.

Shiloa

Good episode, fairly funny with character development. But really the direction is letting this series down. The cuts, the dark sets, the odd movements, the line delivery...The ending could have easily been another 'it's a smegging garbage pod' kind of moment, but they rushed in the delivery and cut suddenly to the end

Tregard

Soothsayer
CvDgMnpWgAAScc1.jpg

Wonderful

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Was there no episode 6?
I guess everyone else forgot. But they did a pregnant cat episode which was okay. It seems at this point all three of them have created "life" in some way now. lol

That seems to be my feelings for the entire season. A lot of it is fine, and mostly a rehash of older stories/ideas. It feels very much like watching reruns of something familiar and comfortable rather than watching something new and exciting. I guess I'm okay with that.

Shiloa

ep 6 had it's moments but like the series, it just never felt fresh or particularly clever. The sets aren't quite right, the plots are rushed, the acting is stunted and the jokes just aren't good enough.

Respectable series, but weaker than X.

Casting news for XII, major spoiler:

NORMAN LOVETT AS HOLLY
- Link

I actually didn't want this to happen
Because he's been such a rude, insufferable shit over the years - I'd rather have seen Hattie again, or recast the role... Richard Ayoade would be a good new Holly face, ha
. Alas

Because he's been such a rude, insufferable shit over the years - I'd rather have seen Hattie again, or recast the role... Richard Ayoade would be a good new Holly face, ha
. Alas

what did norman lovett do (apart from be difficult about attending rehearsals for Season 3)?

either way, any Holly coming back is great

liquidtmd

Banned
Sounds like
he's only back for one episode serving as a finale, so expecting cameo territory tbh and more a token gesture

what did norman lovett do (apart from be difficult about attending rehearsals for Season 3)?

either way, any Holly coming back is great

He was a shit about Season 3 which was ultimately what got him replaced, but then he was consistently awful about Hattie. He was approached for Back To Earth in a sort of preliminary "we haven't written a script yet, but how do you feel about it?" way, and then the script/budget had no room for him, which happens. He flew off the handle about it, though, saying they'd led him on and later going on to write several mad myspace blog rants and interviews about how Red Dwarf was the worst thing that'd ever happened to him, about how the show is terrible, the other leads overrated, etc etc. This has gone in a cycle - he did this post Series 3 right up until they offered him a sack of money for series 8, too.

I'm honestly amazed any of them still talk to him, he's said and done some stuff that has ruined him as Holly for me a bit as I just get the impression he's just not a very nice person. The hardcore Dwarf fanbase on sites like Ganymede know his BS well, so he's not very well liked even among the fans. It's a shame, really.

mclem

. Alas

I have to admit, I really did think the bridges were well and truly burned. Given it's the last episode of the series, it could be leading into him being present for all of XIII, or a handover.

Of course, this is only from Lovett's mouth, so I guess he could be being cantankerous...

DBT85

He was a shit about Season 3 which was ultimately what got him replaced, but then he was consistently awful about Hattie. He was approached for Back To Earth in a sort of preliminary "we haven't written a script yet, but how do you feel about it?" way, and then the script/budget had no room for him, which happens. He flew off the handle about it, though, saying they'd led him on and later going on to write several mad myspace blog rants and interviews about how Red Dwarf was the worst thing that'd ever happened to him, about how the show is terrible, the other leads overrated, etc etc. This has gone in a cycle - he did this post Series 3 right up until they offered him a sack of money for series 8, too.

I'm honestly amazed any of them still talk to him, he's said and done some stuff that has ruined him as Holly for me a bit as I just get the impression he's just not a very nice person. The hardcore Dwarf fanbase on sites like Ganymede know his BS well, so he's not very well liked even among the fans. It's a shame, really.

Oh. What a cock.

Slowdive

Banned

Damn, didn't know most of that.

mclem

Here's a crazy thought:

Bear in mind that we've only heard this from Norman, so we haven't heard the complete story. It strikes me that it's not impossible that they haven't also cast Hattie, but she's better at keeping a secret! I think there's scope for a storyline with both Hollies in it (as distinct from Holly and Hilly back in Parallel Universe)....

Now I'll be disappointed if that's not the case.

jambo

Finally got around to watching the first 3 episodes of XI last weekend with my family. Been watching Red Dwarf with my sister and father since the 90s and it was pretty awesome.

We were all laughing a lot and agreed it was much better than we expected.

Really excited for XII now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom