• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf Series XI and XII Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardon

That's a nice Blue Midget, but I kinda feel that Starbug should come first?

Then again, Starbug's spherical nature's not great for Lego.

Yeah I thought the same regarding having Starbug be the first set. But as you mentioned I think there could've been initial design issues, both from a production and sheer engineering aspect, of nailing the look without requiring a ton of pieces or falling into the UCS Lego class.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Some weirdness I'd missed: Series 1-5 are getting a Blu-Ray release! Arguably there's not that much benefit to it, although I gather that the old model sequences were made on film, so those ought to look a fair bit better.
Actually, no. It was confirmed in the RD documentary that was included in the Series X BD that the original 16mm film elements that they sought to reuse in the new series (I can't imagine how large of a contrast that would be with the digitally captured live action scenes with all that grain highlighted) ended up becoming lost, which is why they had to photograph the models from scratch.

Another interesting fact, the current model used for the Red Dwarf ship is actually based on an unused model that was going to be used for the Remastered episodes, just with the middle cut out. When they built the model initially, it turned out to be too big to be used, because of the lack of available space (at least I think that was the case) where they usually photograph their models, so they whipped up a CG version of the ship instead.

One more thing regarding the BD release of Series I-V...Doug just happened to say that they were being made for the Japanese market, which means the possibility for an awkward conversion for the NTSC televisions (non-region B players don't generally support a 50hz image), and seeing that the BBC Worldwide has a habit of releasing only one set of masters regardless if they support 50hz or not, we'll be looking to expect a 30i or 24p conversion here in the EU region.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have just begun watching this series.
Finished ep. 1 and I like it.
Glad that Lister is the main character as I really liked him.
It doesn't get really good until Series III when Kryten joins. Lister isn't the only main character. It's an ensemble. And don't be put off by Krytens initial episode in season 2. It's a completely different actor.

RangerX

Banned
As someone who has watched the first six seasons myaye ten times each I really didn't like the last one so I hope this is an improvement. All the characters just felt off, especially Lister. Cat wasn't too bad actually. The world seemed too populated too. They really need to go back and focus more on Lister being the last human alive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As someone who has watched the first six seasons myaye ten times each I really didn't like the last one so I hope this is an improvement. All the characters just felt off, especially Lister. Cat wasn't too bad actually. The world seemed too populated too. They really need to go back and focus more on Lister being the last human alive.
The last one as in X? Populated with who? There aren't any more aliens in X than there are in the other seasons. Episode 1 had a hologram and a robotic woman. Episode 3 was a time travel episode. Episode 5 had some aliens and a woman who was turned into an ape for a while. Episode 6 had a stimulant and some cyborg type jerks. Aside from the woman scientist, who is now dead, Dave is still the only human left.

I think it's populated just fine.

jambo

I'm actually really looking forward to these new series.

I'm a big fan of the earlier stuff and always felt that 6 & 7 were a bit off, but still had some great moments. 8 however, felt like a real return to form.

Unfortunately Back To Earth was a pretty huge disappointment and I was worried that they might not even bother to do anything after it, but then X came along and I loved it. Watched it with family who used to watch in the 90s and we were all howling with laughter. The Jesus episode was eye-watering.

Can't believe it's only a month away now.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info i think ill watch up til season/series 6 for now before making a lttp thread

mclem

A bunch of new pictures have been released. I'll link to reddwarf.co.uk's gallery, so people who are spoilerphobic can avoid any untoward surprises.

SKUTTER!

I am kicking myself that I didn't see this promo coming:

FECHXd8.jpg

A bunch of new pictures have been released. I'll link to reddwarf.co.uk's gallery, so people who are spoilerphobic can avoid any untoward surprises.

SKUTTER!

I am kicking myself that I didn't see this promo coming:

Yeah, loving the new pics! It's got a real series 5/6 vibe to a few of the shots.

That Star Wars promo parody is funny, reminds me of when Series 8 was being advertised they had ads that mocked Star Wars Episode 1.

mclem

Yeah, loving the new pics! It's got a real series 5/6 vibe to a few of the shots.

That Star Wars promo parody is funny, reminds me of when Series 8 was being advertised they had ads that mocked Star Wars Episode 1.

It's just a great coincidence that the affectionate nickname that the ship's had since the fourth series happens to be fundamentally near-identical to the title of this Christmas's biggest cinema release. Bonus serendipity points, too, for being a very common internet typo.

I hate the ones where they go to Earth. Lister was in stasis for millions of years, but they go to Earth and it still has 20th century technology, and Coronation Street is still on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate the ones where they go to Earth. Lister was in stasis for millions of years, but they go to Earth and it still has 20th century technology, and Coronation Street is still on.
Which episodes do they go to Earth aside from Backwards (Which was explained with time being in reverse because it reached the end of its cycle and is rewinding) and Back to Earth (Which was a dream sequence brought on by the Despair Squid as well as a dimensional jump through the TV set to present day. i.e. time travel.) or I guess to a certain extent, Back to Reality which you can't really prove was Earth plus it was also a dream anyway.

Am I forgetting some? Because those three are all easily explained.

tomtom94

Back to Earth is a decent concept (and the Blade Runner stuff is funny) but you can tell it was originally two episodes hastily expanded to three and that Craig Charles couldn't get out of his contract on Corrie. I'm glad we got it but I'm in no great hurry to watch it again.

(On another note, something I've found odd about the episodes on Netflix is they can't decide if series 7 should have a laugh track or not. Stoke Me a Clipper does, but most of the other episodes - which appear to be the extended editions, incidentally - don't)

Walshicus

Which episodes do they go to Earth aside from Backwards (Which was explained with time being in reverse because it reached the end of its cycle and is rewinding) and Back to Earth (Which was a dream sequence brought on by the Despair Squid as well as a dimensional jump through the TV set to present day. i.e. time travel.) or I guess to a certain extent, Back to Reality which you can't really prove was Earth plus it was also a dream anyway.

Am I forgetting some? Because those three are all easily explained.

Tikka to ride. Oh and that series 10 episode where they find 'Jesus'.

mclem

Pros: bigger budget

Cons: bigger budget

(Looks good)

Well, in that case, prepare to have your mind blown:

b9T74yW.png

(Dan Kay is the production manager)

To be fair, it's generally accepted that the production of RDX was an utter shambles, and RDXI/XII has been a lot smoother.

Plus you'd think a lot of one-time expenses - like 'dwarf set stuff - was part of the X budget and is being reused in XI.

Hopefully they can use some of the savings to get Lovett or Annett in an episode or two.

tomtom94

Well, in that case, prepare to have your mind blown:

b9T74yW.png

(Dan Kay is the production manager)

To be fair, it's generally accepted that the production of RDX was an utter shambles, and RDXI/XII has been a lot smoother.

Okay, I stand corrected! Just good direction from Naylor (I assume he's directing again?), then - as long as they remember to bring the funny as well as the effects, which did become an issue from series 6 onwards. And yeah, TVTropes has a great bit about the production problems on X - something I had no idea about (especially that Naylor was writing two new episodes while they were filming the others!)

Be very surprised if Arnett at least doesn't turn up given she was meant to appear in X and the aforementioned production difficulties stopped it.

Nekofrog

Banned
My dad's in ailing health (though just yesterday got news that his liver has actually improved and isn't in failure anymore) and moved in with my wife and I. I grew up watching Red Dwarf on KTEH San Jose, we were both big fans.

There's no describing how hyped I am to be able to watch new Red Dwarf with him 20 years later.

RickD

I've been re-watching Red Dwarf in anticipation of the new series. Love it - have them all on DVD, but as i'm lazy been watching on netflix.
To chime in on the post series VI stuff:

Series VII - the last two episodes are ok, but the rest is naff, it's just boring and mostly nothing really happens.
Series VIII - I liked, much better than VII
Series X - Not bad, much more like a return to Formula that makes it Red Dwarf.
I always feel RD suffers without a laugh track as well, it just feels odd.

It's such a good show though, there are so many amazing moments and for me, the best part is, the show is genuinely intelligent and funny at the same time.
Even if they never make any more past XII, it will still remain one of the best things i've seen on TV ever.

jstripes

Banned
It's such a good show though, there are so many amazing moments and for me, the best part is, the show is genuinely intelligent and funny at the same time.
Even if they never make any more past XII, it will still remain one of the best things i've seen on TV ever.

You can accomplish so much better quality when you don't have to pump out 23 episodes a season.

jambo

I don't know why, but I only laughed a little at that joke, but laughed more and more after I had closed the tab.

Can't wait for the premiere.

CMDBob

Just finished watching it myself, and I got some great laughs out of it. A great return to form, and I can't wait for the next one!

I loved the NOT ALERT sign in the cockpit on Starbug. Hell, I love the entire look of Starbug in XI, looks great.

Just finished watching it myself, and I got some great laughs out of it. A great return to form, and I can't wait for the next one!

Have to watch it when I get home.

When you say return to form, you mean back to the heights of VI/early VII? Because I thought X was pretty good already.

mclem

Damn, I forgot about this. When are the repeats on Dave?

It's not had the first broadcast yet! Dave's releasing the first episode (and possibly all episodes in the series?) a week in advance on their online streaming thingy.

This does of course mean that you can hop over to the UKTV site *right now* and watch it.

It's not had the first broadcast yet! Dave's releasing the first episode (and possibly all episodes in the series?) a week in advance on their online streaming thingy.

This does of course mean that you can hop over to the UKTV site *right now* and watch it.
Ahhhh cool. Will wait for the TV version then. Thanks :)

Twentica thoughts.

-Visually, it looks great. Very much like series V/VI. The cast look on-point and Kryten looks really good in the actual episode.
-There's a few gags which run a bit past their "funny" point, one in particular during the early Starbug scene between Lister and Rimmer that fell flat for me.
-But in the same scene, Cat has a great bit which is pretty funny.
-The episode concept is great, but does feel a tad rushed towards the end sadly.
-The ending scene feels quite familiar for some reason.
-Overall, I didn't laugh *that* much. It's a more story based episode than a jokes based one. But there are certainly a few big laughs mixed in now and then, particularly during the bar scenes.
-String Theory.
-Guest cast is good. I think the Pree actress is in it, it seemed like her.
-Kryten's jump start was funny.
-I've only watched it once so far, but I suspect again it's one that'll improve with subsequent viewings.
-Starbug looks very blue inside, but I quite like it. Its different, but it feels like it fits even if it would be better suited to Blue Midget.
-There's a guy called Bob.

If you've not seen it yet... watch it, enjoy it. Don't expect Series 1-6 laughs but it's got the atmosphere and some nice little moments. A positive start for the series if a little underwhelming if you've hyped yourself up for it.

CMDBob

Have to watch it when I get home.

When you say return to form, you mean back to the heights of VI/early VII? Because I thought X was pretty good already.

It's not Series VI amazing, but it was pretty good, I'd say a good Series 3/4/5 episode. I was laughing quite a bit through the episode. A joke here and there fell a little flat, but there was nothing that made me go "...uh, okay?". Ending was a little quick, but Red Dwarf's done that before too, so it didn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom