• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf Series XI and XII Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zips

Season X had its moments.

The show's writing will be a shadow of what it was as long as it's just one of the two writers though.

I dream of new episodes on the level of the peak seasons (4-6, if I recall - though 6 recycled jokes a tad much).

liquidtmd

Banned
I liked the last series way better than any other since series 5 so I'm up for this.

And I think...its because it was just the guys playing out jokes.

Sure they may have not been as funny as days gone by but the guys have got real charm when they're just riffing on each other.

From six onwards the action and 'plots' got increasingly focused on, with more and more tertiary stuff thrown in. X really felt a much touted 'back to basics' so it felt a satisfying watch if not a hilarious one

Sorcerer

I am not familiar with the show but there is no chance that Claire Grogan is on board is there?

I am a huge Altered Images fan.

Stacey

Banned
And I think...its because it was just the guys playing out jokes.

Sure they may have not been as funny as days gone by but the guys have got real charm when they're just riffing on each other.

From six onwards the action and 'plots' got increasingly focused on, with more and more tertiary stuff thrown in. X really felt a much touted 'back to basics' so it felt a satisfying watch if not a hilarious one

I laughed for 2 weeks straight after the..

"Jeeeeeesus!"

"Yes?"

....gag, more of the same please.

liquidtmd

Banned
I am not familiar with the show but there is no chance that Claire Grogan is on board is there?

I am a huge Altered Images fan.

Highly unlikely. Last showed as a small shot in Series 6 as I recall. More chance of getting Hattie back as female Holly since Norman bailed after getting semi shafted for X

2, 3 and 4 remain my favorites, but X was consistently funny and that's probably the most important thing for a comedy. Cat slayed in X. A moose! The stamp wetting joke...

X was very worthy. So yes, more please.

liquidtmd

Banned
I laughed for 2 weeks straight after the..

"Jeeeeeesus!"

"Yes?"

....gag, more of the same please.

It got a smile but it was a warm one

Likewise with the 'Moose' riff - built slow and showed a nice restraint and timing instead of 'LOLOLOLOL punchline'

RangerX

Banned
I'm an absolutely huge Red Dwarf fan but I thought X was really poor. The characters,designs and humour felt off. Kryten especially. I'll watch this of course and I hope it turns out great.

King_Moc

Banned
I thought series 10 was good (certainly the best since 6), so I'm looking forward to these. Good news, though I did think Robert Llewellyn had confirmed series 11 some time ago.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Although I don't think RD ever surpassed S6, I'm still happy to hear this. The last Series was far better than I expected.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have no idea how to respond to this any more. The fan part of me wants to be excited, but the realist in me knows that this is probably one sequel too many.

AxeMan

Wax World (episode name Meltdown I just googled) episode is one of my favourites

"Don't eyeball ME Gandhi!"
34015.jpg

Novocaine

Will watch, but my expectations are low. The last season had some okay episodes but it all just felt like fan service. I don't know if I can do another 2 full seasons of that

I'd love a reboot mini-series based on the novels with a new cast. I love Red Dwarf and I'll take what they give me any old how but I see such potential in those books. Straight up Hitchhikers/Bladerunner. It's one of my very secret wishes.

well yeah same as Series X...but theres still no Rob Grant. Red Dwarf's writing quality took a nosedive as soon as he left (S7) and it never recovered imo

also the age of the cast isn't an issue. in a way, it could be the best thing about these new episodes. They're lightyears away from earth, lister is the last human alive, and they are getting old. It's something that can really provide a lot of story and jokes

This x 1000000. If anything past series VI has shown us, is that he was the comedy life blood of the show.

I love Red Dwarf and really enjoyed RD X, especially Lemons. It finally made peace with what it was- a comedy. It wasn't always great but it almost stopped trying to totally retcon the series premise every episode like 7 and 8 did (actually, every season, but those were almost a completely different series)
But holy fuck, RD 7, 8 and Back to Earth were terrible.

jstripes

Banned
X was just as good as Pre-VII, although I'm not denying it would be great to have Rob Grant back.

X really was a return to form. I have to rewatch it, but what I remember working about it was that it focused way more on "character" rather than "story", which is where Back To Earth went wrong.

Nodnol

This pleases me. Fingers crossed it builds on X.

The more episodes they make, the more it diminishes Back to Earth's imprint in my head. *shudders*

I'd love a reboot mini-series based on the novels with a new cast. I love Red Dwarf and I'll take what they give me any old how but I see such potential in those books. Straight up Hitchhikers/Bladerunner. It's one of my very secret wishes.

Who would you cast to be Rimmers hot Brazilian sex bomb wife?

Wax World (episode name Meltdown I just googled) episode is one of my favourites

"Don't eyeball ME Gandhi!"
34015.jpg

fuck yes. what an episode.

Just checked it - S6 was DEFN the best however:

Psirens
Legion
Gunmen of the Apocalypse
Emohawk Polymorph II
Rimmerworld
Out of Time

Legion was so brilliant for the anti matter chopsticks scene and when rimmer calls him "Legion" with a french accent.

If you guys havent watched the commentary on the DVDs, it is totally worth it. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

Fuck me, S5 was brilliant also

"Holoship"
"The Inquisitor"
"Terrorform"
"Quarantine"
"Demons and Angels"
"Back to Reality"

Rimmer in Quarantine was fucking incredible.

TedMilk

Fuck me, S5 was brilliant also

"Holoship"
"The Inquisitor"
"Terrorform"
"Quarantine"
"Demons and Angels"
"Back to Reality"

Rimmer in Quarantine was fucking incredible.

S5 was the best! S6 a close second (though S1-S6 are all great).

Everything post-S6 was terrible (though X is the best of those so far). It needs the complete Grant+Naylor combo to be great again.

So there seems to be a surprising amount of love for Series X in this thread. Guess I'll give it a shot then. I can't finish 8 though. I'm sorry, I just can't.

S5 was the best! S6 a close second (though S1-S6 are all great).

Everything post-S6 was terrible (though X is the best of those so far). It needs the complete Grant+Naylor combo to be great again.
I have a real soft spot for 1 and 2. Those are the ones I have seen the most. I loved the books as well so that really made 1 and 2 so well made for me.

tomtom94

So there seems to be a surprising amount of love for Series X in this thread. Guess I'll give it a shot then. I can't finish 8 though. I'm sorry, I just can't.
With Series 8, skip the shit episodes in the middle (especially "Pete") and just watch "Only The Good..." because that one's actually not too bad.

Hmm, maybe someone ought to put together a list of episodes for a rewatch.

Slowdive

Banned
Series XI starts in September. Synopsis:

The show's six episode run sees two of the Dwarfers' dreams come true: Rimmer accidentally saves the life of a Space Corps Captain and is promoted to Officer, while Cat takes time off from being in love with himself to fall in love with a female Cat with a secret. Meantime, Lister wakes up to discover a deranged droid has stolen some of his body parts and Kryten has a mid-life crisis and considers leaving the Dwarfers for a younger crew. The posse also find themselves in an alternative America where modern technology is outlawed, making both Kryten and Rimmer illegal.

With big laughs and dazzling effects, Red Dwarf XI recaptures the show's golden age.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/red-dwarf-xi-coming-soon/

jstripes

Banned
Since XII was announced alongside XI, I wonder when they're saving that for.

Anyway, at least some good news coming out of England today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom