• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf Series XI and XII Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
First photo of the cast in series XI, from this tweet.

Cn3qsY3WEAAalhI.jpg:orig

AWESOME. Dave is pretty much the only channel I have on most of the time so it will make a change from QI, Top Gear and American Pickers 24/7

I struggle with Craig Charles these days. Not necessarily his fault, but it is what it is. If nothing else it reminds me how old I am.

I would have loved to see a new cast with cameos from the old. It would probably end in tears, but it is mostly all about the writing and we already had series 7+ anyway...

Tregard

Soothsayer
I was sad Taskmaster had just ended, glad to see Dave are back on the case with Red Dwarf

Kryten looks a little off, but his look always changes a bit, people will get used to it, especially as that's his look for the next two series at least

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was sad Taskmaster had just ended, glad to see Dave are back on the case with Red Dwarf

Kryten looks a little off, but his look always changes a bit, people will get used to it, especially as that's his look for the next two series at least

Random question, but how rude is the new season of taskmaster? My kids enjoyed watching the silliness of the first season but I'm wary that the new one has gone out at 10pm.

Also - exclusive pic from the upcoming series showing cat in a scary encounter with two strange aliens

mclem

Random question, but how rude is the new season of taskmaster? My kids enjoyed watching the silliness of the first season but I'm wary that the new one has gone out at 10pm.

The only thing I've picked up on is a few 'you arsehole', but I wasn't watching with naughtiness in mind.

Oh, and there's one episode where the prize task is for your best 'blue item', which some of the contestants took in the other direction. That might be problematic, but the items are somewhat silly (
Seaside postcard-esque fridge magnet, very old erotic paperback
)

Tregard

Soothsayer

I recall a few F-bombs, Joe Wilkinson is the main source! There are a few tasks that get a little sweary from frustration, I'd give one episode a watch and see how you feel.

Alternatively, I know Dave occasionally air Taskmaster in the daytime, so maybe keep and eye out and see if you can catch a recording?

I really hope you can find a way for them to watch it, it's just as funny and silly as the first series, lots of potato based tasks and Greg Davies tickling Alex Horne.

Rich!

my god the cast look so good

so excited about this. with robot wars this year too, this is one weird ass year for UK tv

just let it die

I've been watching the boys from the dwarf since 1995 (yeah, I started late) and I can safely say that series 10 (aired two years ago) was the best since series 6. Red Dwarf is as good as its peak. Series 11 is supposed to be just as good, if not better going by studio audience reactions - and the cast still look the part

and most importantly of all, doug naylor has finally got his act together and is writing some really good scripts. series 10 was significantly better than back to earth, and the nowadays downright embarrassing series 8 and 7.

SteveWD40

Small world, I was just at Media City in Manchester and saw Craig Charles having a smoke, then I see this thread.

I probably won't bother with the new series, since I hated the later ones, but I still hold some of series 3 and 4 to be the greatest comedy of the 90's:

The one where Lister and Rimmer are marooned together (really fit the Steptoe and Son in space that the show aimed to be), Backwards, the one where Kryten becomes human, the body swap one, the creature that feeds on emotions, giving us Dwayne Dibly.

Fried gold some of it

Lagamorph

Small world, I was just at Media City in Manchester and saw Craig Charles having a smoke, then I see this thread.

I probably won't bother with the new series, since I hated the later ones, but I still hold some of series 3 and 4 to be the greatest comedy of the 90's:

The one where Lister and Rimmer are marooned together (really fit the Steptoe and Son in space that the show aimed to be), Backwards, the one where Kryten becomes human, the body swap one, the creature that feeds on emotions, giving us Dwayne Dibly.

Fried gold some of it
Series X was much more like classic Dwarf than 6-8 was. If you liked series 3-5 (ie the best series) then you'll probably like the new ones.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh I am so ready for this. I loved series X and enjoyed Back to Earth very much. I just wish they'd go back to 8 episodes per series instead of 6.

Now I really wish we could get more IT Crowd. Does a British show ever truly "end"?
Rhetorical question

gelf

I'm not sure if I'm up for this or not. I didn't get much out of Series X. Everything just felt off to me in a way I can't quite explain unfortunately.

mclem

Fried gold some of it

Not quite. While the first appearance of the creature that feeds on emotions was in series 3 (Polymorph), that wasn't where Duane Dibley came from. Duane Dibley's first appearance was in series 5's Back To Reality, but where both characters came together was in series 6's Polymorph 2: Emohawk.

Herne

Can't wait for this. In the last season, it was as if they never went away.

"Kryten! Unpack Rachel and bring out the puncture repair kit! I'm alive!"

pulsemyne

You know that Red Dwarf model, well it was going to be used in series 8 but time and money meant they had go with the CG. That model was originally 12 foot long For series 10 they cut it down to about 8 foot. It's refereed too as the "pencil" Red Dwarf. They also made a so-called "Bigiture" of part of the ship for really up close detailed work. I think that is what was being filmed there.

Tizoc

I have just begun watching this series.
Finished ep. 1 and I like it.
Glad that Lister is the main character as I really liked him.

The tone shifts a little after series 2 as the budget and quality of costumes/sets increases and there's a lot more off-ship stuff. But if you like the show now, you'll love it as you get to the golden years (generally considered seasons 4-6).

Cardon

Don't know how viable this will end up being, but a Red Dwarf set is currently up on Lego Ideas. Set has 6,000 votes out of 10k needed to get to the next stage. If anything I just hope the person responsible for the set may put together cutsom kits to sell if Lego doesn't approve it.

mclem

Don't know how viable this will end up being, but a Red Dwarf set is currently up on Lego Ideas. Set has 6,000 votes out of 10k needed to get to the next stage. If anything I just hope the person responsible for the set may put together cutsom kits to sell if Lego doesn't approve it.

That's a nice Blue Midget, but I kinda feel that Starbug should come first?

Then again, Starbug's spherical nature's not great for Lego.

pulsemyne

Buddy you've only just got started. Don;t be too put off by some iffy episodes in the first series. From series two onwards until series 6 it's superb. Series 7 is iffy, Series 8 has two good episodes, the special (back to earth) is a "Bit crap", but series 10 is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom