• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Anaconda dev kit (Dante) leak.

ANIMAL1975

Random dude on twitter referencing random dude on some forum, that is MENTIONING BUT NOT LINKING some random info on reddit.

Am I reading it right?
Sounds legit.

I mean, 4Tb SSD, 48Gb RAM, very realistic.
Hey! Statham is no random dude!

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
For a dev kit those numbers seem somewhat believable.

Would probably mean 24GB memory on the retail kit. And given that next-gen will use at least 4GB if not more for the OS...it probably leaves 18-20GB for games.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

So devs need extra 24gb ram to run debugging tools and profilers?
lol
Results must be delivered by a life size ultra realistic hologram to use that much Ram.
Just thinking of how much those useless 20gb extra of ram cost is scary when you realise they need hundreds of dev kits and their further revisions.

Javthusiast

Banned
tenor.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Do we live in a world now where 48GB would even be needed? I'm humming with 16 GB in my PC thinking I'm doing something. I get that Dev Kits are more RAM than retail, but who looked at this and said "Bwahahaha, there's no way Anaconda is going to release with 48GB of RAM". Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Armorian

Banned
Xbox One X dev kit has a 1TB SSD...so it's not that inconceivable...

Yeah, I didn't know they put SSD on X1X devkit, this makes this rumor more belivable - 12TF GPU is what we can expect. Navi IS GCN so CU limit is probably still there, I wonder what will happen to this "magic" GCN optimizations of PC drivers once AMD release GPU' on new architecture (7970 is from 2011).

Last edited:
Thing is, it’s just a reasonable guess based on what the specs of a dev kit could be. Anyone with a keen interest in gaming and a few brain cells could come up with that. This makes all these ‘leaks’ pointless.

I’m sticking with the idea that real silicon doesn’t even exist yet and won’t for another 6 months.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
zen 2, 48GB memory, 4tb ssd.

sounds legit.

seriously.....if it's true then people will be in for a shock when they see the price.

zen 2 = possible.
48gb = hHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahaha no. 16-24GB is most likely
4tb ssd = no. just no.

for comparison, my PC has 32GB ram and that cost me £300. 250GB cost £70-80. a 1TB SATA3 SSD cost ~£110. a 4TB HDD cost £90. a XB1 (THE MOST POWAAAHFUL CONSOLE EVAAAAA!!!11!!!!) cost ~£400.

there is NO CHANCE that next gen consoles will have 48GB and 4TB SSD.

zen 2, 16GB, and a 2TB (minimum) hdd is most likely. THERE MIGHT be support to install your own NVME SSD or if it comes stock then it'll be on the high end models (pro/X). definitely not the base models.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do we live in a world now where 48GB would even be needed? I'm humming with 16 GB in my PC thinking I'm doing something. I get that Dev Kits are more RAM than retail, but who looked at this and said "Bwahahaha, there's no way Anaconda is going to release with 48GB of RAM". Thank you, Captain Obvious.

No this is just for the dev kit. Not the retail unit.

This isn't that unreasonable especially for a devkit.

For the CPU everyone expects a 8-core Ryzen
For the GPU, we don't know what CU count, but the clock seems ok given that it will be 7nm.

The RAM BW is what a APU with an 8-core CPU and a GPU with 10TF would need. It implies a 384-bit bus with 14-Gbps GDDR6 chips not unreasonable given X1X has a similar setup but with GDDR5.

The 48GB won't be in the retail console, but 24GB seems reasonable. I expect SSD's across the board in nextgen consoles. SSD's will have the biggest impact on the user experience and devs need to be able to design with an SSD as the baseline in mind.

These specs only imply a ~2X boost in teraflops, 2X boost in RAM, a substantial boost in CPU and drive speed. Not that far fetched.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Obviously the ram and ssd will be a lower amount on launch consoles but I do expect there to be at 16gb of ram and 24 wouldn't surprise me. I expect they are going to need quite a bit of ram for the system features alone. Don't be surprised if game streaming (meaning mixer/twitch) is heavily integrated into their next console. Also, I'm not sure but if ram can help with streaming games than that's another reason why they would pump the console full of ram.

I also fully expect Microsoft to take a loss on the hardware. I'm calling it right now, the next console will be more powerful than the ps5 and cost the same price.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
48GB? no. that's serious overkill even for PC gaming.

16GB is probably the minimum for PC though. we now have games that can easily use 10-14GB. that's why i recently upgraded to 32GB. i have LOADS of memory but 16GB is cutting it close if you want the best performance/graphics on PC these days. consoles will be just fine with 16GB.

48/2=24 which is likely the most these consoles will have. 16-26GB is my guess.

No this is just for the dev kit. Not the retail unit.
you'll still get people thinking that their PS5/XB2 will come with 48GB though.

Last edited:
It could definitely be 48 because this is 99% the last gaming console and it'll have to last until 2030.

I want to laugh at this, but it's probably true. I foresee a shift coming in the next 10 years, where consoles will move towards being streaming devices. At the very least, the machines that turn up in 2030 will have ditched the optical media drives.

Sony retail unit won't have ssd or that much memory, I bet it will come in close to 400 euro. Unless there are 2 specs....

You mean I won’t get a !FOUR TERABYTE! NVMe SSD in my 400 dollar gaming box?

The hard drive component is my biggest “wait and see” for next gen specs. The rumored CPU and GPU range seems mostly realistic to me, RAM I expect anywhere between 16 and 32 gigs, but I just can’t get over my doubt that base consoles ship with SSDs in any form but I hope they surprise me

McHuj

Don't get why people are so confused about about 48 GB of RAM in a devkit. X1X devkit has 24 GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. The retail unit doesn't come with either.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Can't say I'm seeing anything being confirmed except.
MisterxMedia + Statham + deleted Reddit no one probably saw + stats thrown around + 48Gb + bandwidth that doesn't make any sense.
The whole thing reads as a quick and dirty that no one would be this stupid and call them self an engineer and that's just me saying it as a phleb.
Exactly. The fact that we are once again letting the likes of MisterxMedia, being either fully part of this rumor or just on the sidelines, being pushed as something that is believable and acceptable is bizarre. Its Misterxmedia.

Its as believable as Jeff_Rigby or Zach Morris trying to sell for years that a Dreamcast 2 was not only coming, but also had raytracing before even this gen of consoles was out and before Jensen even thought of throwing it in a Nvidia GPU.

The other thing that bothers me is the CPU clock speed, 3.2 would be the expectation of where Zen2 on a retail model without any OC.
So for the dev-kit to be equal to a retail model in speed doesn't even make sense as there should be some extra power there seeing as it's a dev-kit.
All in all, we'll maybe get a better idea in 2 months - E3.
I don't buy it anyway on the instantaneous observation its not from a source that has any reputation going on. I can literally make a BS rumor like that aswell and make a thread out of it and it will get somewhere.

There are people that know more, that much i am aware of. But nobody is going to talk, and for good reasons.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't get it. Why are these specs are so unbelievable for a devkit?

Also why is it always an obnoxious game of telephone when it comes to these things? I can't wait until E3 just to put all of this speculation to rest already.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I don't get it. Why are these specs are so unbelievable for a devkit?

Also why is it always an obnoxious game of telephone when it comes to these things? I can't wait until E3 just to put all of this speculation to rest already.

Because it's 48gb of ram !! do you understand how much that would cost it's not happening not even In in dev kit.

Xyphie

24x 16Gb chips is certainly not a big deal for a devkit, well under $1000 in cost. The relevant question is if they can afford going with 384-bit (minimum 12 chips) over 256-bit bus (minimum 8 chips) for the retail unit.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
When it comes to ram I feel like people are living in the past

8-16gb is the minimum now

I have 24gb in my pc right now and my next pc wont have less than 32gb of ram

PS4/XBONE are at 8GB/12GB......16 wouldn't be enough for the next 5-7 years

24gb of ram sounds about right any less than that and I'd wait for a pro next gen model

24gb of ram sounds about right any less than that and I'd wait for a pro next gen model
I have a buddy with 64GB, I felt it was a bit excessive. He also has a 10 Core / 20 thread i9-7900X

Last edited:

McHuj

Because it's 48gb of ram !! do you understand how much that would cost it's not happening not even In in dev kit.

What non-sense. A Nvidia Quadro 8000 GPU comes with 48GB of RAM and sells for around $5500. An early devkit like this is likely anywhere from 5-10K. The size of the ram is completely within reason and cost for a professional development system.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rumors and actual numbers can go sideways in a hurry, Sony should issue an apology to anyone getting their hopes up with these performance numbers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does he honestly know his stuff? Would we take him seriously here on GAF if he were a member?

No.

The Era thread he posted on his Twitter, was created because someone saw the "leak" on Reddit before they removed it. It is all BS.

Last edited:

Amey

1994_________2000__________2006_________2013_________2020?
PS 3MB -> PS2 36MB -> PS3 512MB -> PS4 8192MB -> PS5 ?????MB
_____________12x____________14x____________16x____________??x

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1994______2000_______2006_______2013________2020?
__________12x_________14x_________16x_________??x

144GB of RAMS!

Those were products of tech moving as fast as it did. We are at a time where RAM does not need the same jump (not to mention costly). It is more about bandwidth, etc.. 24GB max I would guess, but would be pleasantly surprised if more, and not shocked if less.

Ar¢tos

u mean MS wont put 48gb in a dev kit....because it would cost them too much money.....?
Mainly because it is absolutely pointless. You don't need 24gb extra ram to run debugging tools and cpu/gpu profilers. It's an extremely pointless and expensive overkill. 4gb extra ram are way more than enough.

mckmas8808

Mainly because it is absolutely pointless. You don't need 24gb extra ram to run debugging tools and cpu/gpu profilers. It's an extremely pointless and expensive overkill. 4gb extra ram are way more than enough.

So why did the Xbox One X have 24 GBs of RAM?

Ar¢tos

So why did the Xbox One X have 24 GBs of RAM?

I honestly have no idea. Considering that the PSs4 Pro dev kits seemingly only have 12 and the games are not that much different, probably for the legacy directx code overhead...
What kind of logic dictates that just because a dev kit one gen has double the amount of ram, the dev kit next gen has to do the same, even if it is totally pointless and expensive?

Last edited:

Calibos

Dev Kit Salt Thread of the year.

It is rumored Dev kit specs, not final hardware. Are people actually reading?

Sony retail unit won't have ssd or that much memory, I bet it will come in close to 400 euro. Unless there are 2 specs....
Dev kit's usually come with a lot more storage and memory, so expect those to come down. I know more memory is better, but i can't imagine 48gb, of the latest memory, would be necessary.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I honestly have no idea. Considering that the PSs4 Pro dev kits seemingly only have 12 and the games are not that much different, probably for the legacy directx code overhead...
What kind of logic dictates that just because a dev kit one gen has double the amount of ram, the dev kit next gen has to do the same, even if it is totally pointless and expensive?

But it does give more credence to something like this being true for the next-gen Xbox. It shows MS' thinking.

Shin

Banned
We need an official betting poll for next gen.
Whoever gets it right wins the console.
As long as you're the one giving the console away :messenger_sunglasses:
Go for it, E3 is 2 months away so a Microsoft bingo card thread but with specs would get people going.

Ar¢tos

But it does give more credence to something like this being true for the next-gen Xbox. It shows MS' thinking.
Not really since we don't know the reasons for the 24gb.
As said before, it was probably easier to double chip density keeping the same design, it wasn't for need of so much Ram and it was in a time when gddr5 was common and cheap.
If the retail unit has 24gb, the dev kit should have 32gb max, and even that would be way too much. There is no future proofing in having a huge amount of ram since the APU stays the same.

Armorian

Banned

If you don't do any "profesional" (decoding etc.) stuff on your PC most of that RAM is going to waste. Is it HEDT or standard PC (if standard you're not getting good performance with this amount of memory)?

For gaming you really don't need more than 12GB of system RAM (and that amount is good only for owners of first gen i7 CPUs with triple channel), I have 16GB for years and only time I have seen it was not enough was in games with memory leaks, usually it sits in 8-9GB in heaviest titles.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I suppose, they didn't spare anything on Scorpio and I so fucking love that they didn't or that's how they want to tackle design moving forward.

Quick search about Scorpio's dev-kit:
So if we go by that, we can expect 24gb RAM, and 2tb HDD (or SSD).

18x?

Humm.. 8192x18.....

147456MB??!!!?!

giphy.gif

Von Hugh

Previously the architecture changed every jump. Now we are staying at x86. So no drastic leap in RAM size incoming.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
To be fair, its a rather common occurence, especially MS. X360 devkit's eventually had 1 GB ram. PS1 devkits also had double the ram.

It just gives breathing room so they can test out their environments without hitting a RAM limit.

That being said, a master speculation thread would be a good idea as we are inching closer to the reveals.

rivv3r

Banned
Are they going to be taking a $500 hit on every console? It just doesn't seem very likely these specs, if real regarding a dev kit, would make it to store shelves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom