• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Anaconda dev kit (Dante) leak.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
You mean the Xbox one x case? Not sure they'd want their brand new console looking the same as the old one. Plus the thermals will be different.

Tbh I don't even think $600 is a deal breaker any more. After all, they're supposedly going to offer a 1080p box as well as anaconda.

This is my view on it. If they are offering a two-tier solution(arguably 3 tier if you include XCloud) then it would theoretically allow them to go higher in price for the top-tier console.

Also fun fact with inflation: $600 in today's dollars = $509 in 2009 dollars.

Armorian

Banned
Oh, the GPU from 2017, while next-gen consoles are released on 2020?

Yeah but AMD is few years behind Nvidia, Navi has chance to match Vega 64 level of power with ~GTX 1080 power consumption (and they need 7nm to do that), I expect something like that in NG consoles. Only thing that could be better than GTX 1080ti from AMD is big Navi but that is set to 2020 and obviously won't be in consoles.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Oh, the GPU from 2017, while next-gen consoles are released on 2020?

Don't hold your breath for that.

In 2020 you're not going to get a 1080ti's performance out of a $400 console.
Expect 30fps, medium settings and dynamic and checkerboard resolutions.

Don't hold your breath for that.

In 2020 you're not going to get a 1080ti's performance out of a $400 console.
Expect 30fps, medium settings and dynamic and checkerboard resolutions.
I bet real money next gen is at least as good as 1080ti, with higher bandwidth as well.

Ar¢tos

This is next gen not a sidegrade revision, they need at least 18GB available for games (2x the X) for a proper next gen leap. GDDR6 will come down in price by 2021 and onward and console manufacturers get long term bulk contract deals anyways.

The config you propose also brings its added complexity/cost. Though i do hope it isn't the case and they stop wasting fast memory on OS
Not necessarily.
When I say 16gb for games and 8gb for OS, I mean 14-15gb GDDR6 for games, 1-2gb GDDR6 for OS, and 8gb for the secondary ARM processor that runs non-important OS tasks and deals with DVR and stand by mode downloading, etc.
8gb might sound a lot for a secondary processor, but 15min 4k@60 DVR will need more than 4gb.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
So 24GB RAM in retail unit, 3x more than current base consoles and double the amount of X1X, which already does 4K, nice, really nice, could this be the end of washed out textures? That SSD will remain exclusive for the dev kit tho, same as X1X dev kits also have them.

So 24GB RAM in retail unit, 3x more than current base consoles and double the amount of X1X, which already does 4K, nice, really nice, could this be the end of washed out textures? That SSD will remain exclusive for the dev kit tho, same as X1X dev kits also have them.
4x more than base consoles - 5gb usable, so expect 20gb usable for anaconda.

KINDERFELD

Banned
I bet real money next gen is at least as good as 1080ti, with higher bandwidth as well.

If games like the Bioshock series, Skyrim and all the other remastered games on PS4 Pro still run at lower frame rates, lower graphical settings and dynamic/checkerboard resolutions, then expecting next gen to be more on the level of a gtx1080 is more logical.

But you're certainly not going to see all these current gen games remastered for the PS5 running at the frame rate, graphical settings and resolution that a 1080ti can produce.

At $500, the 1X cannot even perform on the level of a basic gtx1080.

Last edited:
If games like the Bioshock series, Skyrim and all the other remastered games on PS4 Pro still run at lower frame rates, lower graphical settings and dynamic/checkerboard resolutions, then expecting next gen to be more on the level of a gtx1080 is more logical.

But you're certainly not going to see all these current gen games remastered for the PS5 running at the frame rate, graphical settings and resolution that a 1080ti can produce.
Old ports aren't exactly a good benchmark for ps4.

You're really lowballing for 2020 here, but we'll see.

Armorian

Banned

Vega 64 (12.6TF) ~ GTX 1080 (9TF)
Vega VII (13.8TF) < GTX 1080ti (11.3TF)

And 2080 is faster than 1080ti while having ~10TF.

NG consoles GPU could have higher TF numbers compared to 1080ti but not the same level of performance.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
Yeah, its not like tech will have advanced by then. Thanks nostradamas LOL

It will but not at the rate you're expecting.

Remember, these prices would have had to be reduced prior to production of these consoles, meaning, some time later this year.

I don't forsee a gtx 1080ti dropping to around $500 this year.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
TF numbers compared to 1080ti but not the same level of performance.
One should compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges, Kinderfield made that mistake when he used an nVidia card.
It has 0 bearing on consoles as they use AMD cards and the difference between the 2 companies, their tech, efficiencies or lack thereof has been discussed far and wide.
Performance doesn't go backwards AFAIK as time and again performance increases on the same architecture and AMD has proven this as we're on Gen 5? of GCN.

As a extra bone and I don't remember where it got leaked (I think that that Japanese guy or Tum Apisak on Twitter), it's said that the Navi GPU in the upcoming consoles will be equivalent to a 2070.
Could compare whatever performance a 2070 is, be it Ti or a bare 1080, regardless such a card in a console 2020 or not is still quite nice, especially given how well the close box performs against a direct PC equivalent.
Don't get me wrong for 1 or 2 years now I've been looking forward to a 12TF console minimum and anything below that will be a disappointment to me.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Your dreaming remember the ps4/xb1 released with a 7850 and you seriously think there going ship these console with something that compares to gtx1080ti.

expecting the performace of 600 Pound card is highly unrealistic for something that's likely to cost 500.

Your dreaming remember the ps4/xb1 released with a 7850 and you seriously think there going ship these console with something that compares to gtx1080ti.

expecting the performace of 600 Pound card is highly unrealistic for something that's likely to cost 500.
Remember the "you'll get 2 or 4gb ram predictions" xD whatever peeps, well see.

True, but this same company put 8GB of DDR3 in a console. So.

I don't think Phil would do that shit, I'm just saying.

This company did that to cut costs to be able to include Kinect 2.0 with every console.

There won’t be no Kinect this time and yes, using the X as a comparison is a logical step. It’s safe to assume that if dev kits are 48, retail consoles will be half that.

Pallas

It’s somewhat believable for a DEVKIT but it’s just that, another rumor supposed leak. To those that find it impossible, those specs wouldn’t be on the retail/mass produced version for consumers.

Because it's 48gb of ram !! do you understand how much that would cost it's not happening not even In in dev kit.

Cmon on now, we are talking about the same company that made this bad boy when the original Xbox was coming out.

25jxi4h.jpg

PocoJoe

Banned

NG consoles GPU could have higher TF numbers compared to 1080ti but not the same level of performance.

PC performance is not directly comparable. Drivers and optimizing + other stuff affects it.

10Tflops on closed console system will deliver same/more than 10flops on pc.

TLZ

Banned
This makes jason even less credible when 2 weeks ago he claimed that any leakers saying dev kits were already out are lying.
The guy's a complete tool mate. That alone shows you what companies with dev kits think of him. They simply won't tell him for their own reasons. There are a lot of tools like him who like to pretend they have reliable contacts. And even if they do, they somehow think they're in bed with the contacts, and everything they're told is true. So if I'm Ubisoft for example, and wanted the info to stay confidential still, I'd be throwing out lies to him, and would only give him crumbles when I'm ready to. I'm simply using the guy. When I worked in PR we used to do this all the time, using the media guys as simply extended PR tools to reach the masses.

Of course at this point dev kits should be out if consoles were to release 2020.

Last edited:

SonGoku

You should be comparing memory specs with the base consoles of this gen, not the X the additional amount of which has hardly been impactful.
This would apply if next gen consoles targeted 1080p, but they are going to be 4k machines, since the X set the minimum specs to run current gen games at console settings at 4kish which is 9GB usable for games and 6Tittyflops gpu its a useful benchmark
14-15gb GDDR6 for games
That's cutting it way to conservative on the border of limiting games scopes later on, for a proper next gen leap it needs to double the X at least
4x more than base consoles - 5gb usable, so expect 20gb usable for anaconda.
Heres hoping to that, it would be a shame if they went overboard with os ram reservation.
24 x 1GB chips
2GB chips available i think

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This would apply if next gen consoles targeted 1080p, but they are going to be 4k machines, since the X set the minimum specs to run current gen games at console settings at 4kish which is 9GB usable for games and 6Tittyflops gpu its a useful benchmark

That's cutting it way to conservative on the border of limiting games scopes later on, for a proper next gen leap it needs to double the X at least

Heres hoping to that, it would be a shame if they went overboard with os ram reservation.
Given how clunky the XBox dashboard is (even with 8gb on Nand ram?????) the OS can use the extra ram.

You'd think the dashboard would be silky smooth, so who knows that that extra 8gb is used for.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Given how clunky the XBox dashboard is (even with 8gb on Nand ram?????) the OS can use the extra ram.

You'd think the dashboard would be silky smooth, so who knows that that extra 8gb is used for.
Does the Xbox do game recording? idk 4GB seems like alot to be reserved for a minimalistic console os with simple functions, maybe expand on Sonys implementation of secondary LPDDR chips for OS tasks

Isn't the dashboard clunky because of shitty cpu cores and how it only uses only 1.5 cores?

Armorian

Banned
PC performance is not directly comparable. Drivers and optimizing + other stuff affects it.

10Tflops on closed console system will deliver same/more than 10flops on pc.

With DX12/Vulcan we should expect very similiar performance of Xbox and W10 pc, reality shows that DX11 implementation is faster most of the time but I'm talking theoretically :D

Remember the "you'll get 2 or 4gb ram predictions" xD whatever peeps, well see.

Back in ~2012 it was logical conclusion for console with GDDR5, we heard rumors about MS having 8GB of dirt cheap (RAM prices were amazing back then) DDR3 but Sony was betting on fast RAM and there were no 1Gb chips back then.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 4TB SSD is just as ridiculous as the 48 gigs of RAM. Ever since PS4, I have had 20 to 24GB of RAM in my head for PS5.

MadAnon

People still forget what a piece of crap hardware was in Xbox One even at the time it launched for $500 with Kinect. If you seriously expect cutting edge AMD tech in Xbox with an SSD and 24GB of GDDR6 then prepare to pay $600 at the minimum. Xbox One X launched at $500 and still costs around $400 as of today. APU with Jaguar cores, 12 GB of GDDR5 and some run of the mill 1TB HDD still costs $400!!!!

Delusions are real.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
People still forget what a piece of crap hardware was in Xbox One even at the time it launched for $500 with Kinect. If you seriously expect cutting edge AMD tech in Xbox with an SSD and 24GB of GDDR6 then prepare to pay $600 at the minimum. Xbox One X launched at $500 and still costs around $400 as of today. APU with Jaguar cores, 12 GB of GDDR5 and some run of the mill 1TB HDD still costs $400!!!!

Delusions are real.

All of that is true, however, other than the APU and RAM most of the things will be unchanged - mobo, UHD drive, HDD, I/O, case, etc. - same costs. And then again, 7nm APU will be around the same die size as current 14nm APU in X1X, so not much of an cost increase there as well. So we're left with the RAM, and I indeed expect such an Xbox to cost 599$. And I personally will be very happy to pay such price if the specs turn out to be true - 16 threaded CPU, 24GB RAM, the GPU power is still a mystery, but that 1,5GHz clock already gives high hopes, Just imagine what the devs will be able to achieve if they are already handling current gen consoles with their low specs quite well.

SonGoku

if next gen consoles ship with 12tf+ Navi gpus, should offer similar raw performance to a gtx 1080ti if not better in some areas due to arch advances

Either way we don't really know anything about Navi to be making early judgments
Remember, these prices would have had to be reduced prior to production of these consoles, meaning, some time later this year.

I don't forsee a gtx 1080ti dropping to around $500 this year.
What does nvdia marked up prices have to do with amd gpus and semi custom console gpus?
What if it's all cloud and this is what one game gets? I mean that is the only way any of these specs make sence. No way can a consumer afford a 4TB SSD
24GB is plausible (dev kit 2x memory)
4TB Nvme is for sure devkit only LOL, EVEN A SSD is cheaper.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
At $500, the 1X cannot even perform on the level of a basic gtx1080.

I own both and the graphical differences in games such as FC5, Forza, SoT, Doom, Wolf are all near unnoticeable unless I compared side by side stills, frame rates suffer but that's the CPU.

For everyone else here the next gen will launch with 24gb ram, I'll put a gold membership on it at least one of the consoles does. So double in a devkit makes sense. We're all masterrace running 32gb anyway? 24gb for a console to last 8 years should come as no surprise.

Last edited:

Three

I actually believe this. Especially as bioware where saying they were getting lambasted for being transparent. What doesn't make sense though is if this is true why those extra effects are not available on PC already.

Armorian

Banned
32GB would be a megaton announcement similar to 8GB GDDR5!

RAM prices are high and I really don't see much benefits of having more than 20GB of memory in NG consoles. Remember people that all this space must be filled with data from HDD, so loading times will get longer unless they really want to put SSD's in there.

Last edited:

SonGoku

RAM prices are high and I really don't see much benefits of having more than 20GB of memory in NG consoles. Remember people that all this space must be filled with data from HDD, so loading times will get longer unless they really want to put SSD's in there.
Yeah pricing is the big issue which is why i think 24gb is more likely
But given a base hardware to work with im sure devs could think of ways to take advantage of more than 20gb, especially midgen when dev tools mature and start squeezing every bit of performance out

I wonder if we'll see a big hdd plus small ssd solution or if they get good long term contract deal on a big main ssd drive.

Last edited:

MadAnon

All of that is true, however, other than the APU and RAM most of the things will be unchanged - mobo, UHD drive, HDD, I/O, case, etc. - same costs. And then again, 7nm APU will be around the same die size as current 14nm APU in X1X, so not much of an cost increase there as well. So we're left with the RAM, and I indeed expect such an Xbox to cost 599$. And I personally will be very happy to pay such price if the specs turn out to be true - 16 threaded CPU, 24GB RAM, the GPU power is still a mystery, but that 1,5GHz clock already gives high hopes, Just imagine what the devs will be able to achieve if they are already handling current gen consoles with their low specs quite well.
Jaguar and Ryzen are not even in the same category even when you take into account their respective timelines. Jaguar was basically a CPU for mobile devices - tablet APUs to be more specific. I bet you didn't even know this. Going to full-blown desktop CPU will increase the price significantly. They will need beefier cooling too. And 7nm process isn't really that mature so don't expect same prices as 14nm chips currently have. That's actually a reason why I think they aren't gonna go with an APU but with MCM design if 7nm is their goal. Multiple smaller chips, higher yields, more cost-efficient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom