• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

They're not going to make the exact same game that you buy once run on both. This may happen, but it'll be the exception, not the norm. Handheld and console user experiences are two completely different things.

Console = Big game, sit down for a while
Handheld = Smaller game, played in bite size chunks

You can see this again and again in all of their handheld and console releases.

This is also an incredibly stupid business decision as well.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, and like to use large technical jargon to make it sound like you do. I really don't know how "make software assets more transferable" translates to "make the exact same game for both" for you.
But as the handhelds advanced, the difference between the two in terms of the experiences they offer have decreased more & more. We're now to the point where we have full console games on handhelds (see Xenoblade & DKCR). We also have major engines such as UE4 that can be supported by mobile devices. And it wouldn't be as stupid of a business decision as you'd think, as you'd only have to worry about selling one SKU for games & can focus on either providing DLC for that game or adding more variety to the line-up.

diaspora

Indeed it was but things should improve going to X86. I know it's pie in the sky but I'd love for Nintendo to have a quad core i5 in there. It would be glorious.

As nice as that sounds on paper, I don't think anyone wants to work with Intel- or worse, nvidia.

ohlawd

x86?!?!!?!

yes, now we're talking

I really hate for Nintendo to have to follow in everyone else's footsteps, but this is one area where they should

But as the handhelds advanced, the difference between the two in terms of the experiences they offer have decreased more & more. We're now to the point where we have full console games on handhelds (see Xenoblade & DKCR). We also have major engines such as UE4 that can be supported by mobile devices. And it wouldn't be as stupid of a business decision as you'd think, as you'd only have to worry about selling one SKU for games & can focus on either providing DLC for that game or adding more variety to the line-up.

iPhone is advanced. It has a different user experience than a personal computer.

Yes we have Xenoblade on 3DS. How well do those games sell. Now compare it to games with a primary handheld UX, like Pokémon. You can use UE4 to build handheld games, yes. Making an Uncharted for PS Vita didn't help Sony, now did it? UE4 can be used on handhelds to build handheld games.

Neoxon

x86?!?!!?!

yes, now we're talking

I really hate for Nintendo to have to follow in everyone else's footsteps, but this is one area where they should
As stated before, it wouldn't really make as much of a difference as you'd think if they went with ARM.

diaspora

x86?!?!!?!

yes, now we're talking

It's more about joining basic industry standards. ARM would fill that role too but it's the spirit of the thing.

Malus

This doesn't really mean anything. Plenty of home console games are pick up and play, and plenty of handheld games are big sit down and spend a lot of time type games.

"Shared architecture" wasn't a rumor. Look a few posts up from yours, it's literally a quote from Iwata.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the platforms will have a shared architecture. It means that they'll probably create toolkits that could easily transfer assets between the two platforms at a high level. That way their devs could easily switch between the two platforms without having to create new assets for each.

And why not?

Amd have tablet level apus (jaguar,no I'm not being fascetious, they have like a 5w version of it) , intel have cherrytrail.

I don't see why they can't have an x86 handheld.

The problem with using x86 for a handheld is that it's too power consuming to be usable for the purposes of gaming. It will require a large battery in order to power the system for longer than 30 minutes. Even if they were to go with a low power-consuming x86 architecture, current processors are not optimized for gaming and probably wouldn't port well from the main NX console. Therefore, I see Nintendo's next handheld sticking to ARM for the near future.

Pokemaniac

They're not going to make the exact same game that you buy once run on both. This may happen, but it'll be the exception, not the norm. Handheld and console user experiences are two completely different things.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, and like to use large technical jargon to make it sound like you do. I really don't know how "make software assets more transferable" translates to "make the exact same game for both" for you.

The thing about the console/handheld division is that, at least in terms of which platforms games release on, it's been kinda slowly dissolving for a while. The two types of game still exist, but both can release on a single platform. You can clearly see this with all of the console game which have received 3DS ports, for example.

Also, Iwata was specifically using iOS and Android as examples of how Nintendo wants their software ecosystem to be like. There isn't too much room for interpretation that.

x86?!?!!?!

yes, now we're talking

Not really. Honestly, in Nintendo's position, there are more downsides than benefits.

Neoxon

iPhone is advanced. It has a different user experience than a personal computer.
But we're not talking about a phone with no physical buttons, we're talking about a handheld with a similar layout to a console controller. The n3DS's control layout is near identical to that of the Wii U (sans buttons in the Circle Pad & C-Stick Nub), which resulted in a port of Xenoblade to run considerably close to how it would on the Wii.

I'm not saying that the division between the two in terms of experiences doesn't exist at all now, I'm saying that it's become much less of a factor than it was when we first started getting dedicated handhelds.

As stated before, it wouldn't really make as much of a difference as you'd think if they went with ARM.

Please source this with technical information to back this claim up, instead of repeatedly pulling it out of nowhere in literally every NX thread I go into.

Iwata actually used iOS as an example of the kind of "shared architecture" he was talking about - two kinds of devices, one app works on both with little to no problems. That's why I'm taking any rumor that claims that the NX uses x86 with a grain of salt, because splitting the architecture instead of making both devices ARM would make this goal harder for absolutely no benefit.

Regiruler

The mod on reddit is the one seeking account approval, not the person who put out the 'leaks'.
They're trying to collaborate with mods here to help with verifying these leakers.
I know. But if the stuff used for verification wasn't strong enough, have some sort of penalty for requesting to be fast-tracked.

The thing about the console/handheld division is that, at least in terms of which platforms games release on, it's been kinda slowly dissolving for a while. The two types of game still exist, but both can release on a single platform. You can clearly see this with all of the console game which have received 3DS ports, for example.

Also, Iwata was specifically using iOS and Android as examples of how Nintendo wants their software ecosystem to be like. There isn't too much room for interpretation that.

Not really. Honestly, in Nintendo's position, there are more downsides than benefits.

Yes on iOS, developers make iPhone and iPad software. Sometimes you can buy one, and you get the other as an additional free bonus. But they're two different pieces of software.

These are two very different user experiences, and two very different software.
screen322x572.jpeg

word-for-ipad.jpg

The fact that you can buy either the iPhone or iPad version and get the other one for free is a bonus that some developers opt-in for. Some sell them separately.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why do folks want this ARM based? Please explain it to me.

Neoxon

Please source this with technical information to back this claim up, instead of repeatedly pulling it out of nowhere in literally every NX thread I go into.
Depends on how complicated you want the code to be. I did try porting some simpler programs already to something that could be played on an iPhone & only had to edit a few things here-&-there. I'd need to go back to the Comp-Sci lab to get specifics (my laptop isn't exactly a beast), but I didn't have to bust my balls to get it working on ARM from x86 (which is how I most commonly code my programs). Like I said before, this could change as my programs grow more & more complex.

bachikarn

Nintendo's next home console and handheld will be separate, based on what they've been saying. They may share similar branding, but they'll be two different devices. You can't buy a console game and put it inside the handheld and expect it to work.

I don't know how much clearer this quote can get:

What will really happen is that the assets for Mario, Link, etc wouldn't have to be created twice to make a Smash Bros. for both the console and handheld. You wouldn't have to recreate assets to make both Super Mario 3D Land 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 3. You can simply use a lower resolution, lower fidelity asset for Mario for the handheld Smash, and a more higher resolution asset for Mario for the console Smash.

Create it once. Reuse it across platforms.

They probably realized their mistakes when they had to recreate assets for Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, when they already existed in Mario Kart 7, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land.

Yeah, I think people took this quote and others and assumed it meant cross play. It could just be a way to save development costs.

I'm really skeptical of crossplay after them making you rebuy SNES games on 3DS.

Neoxon

Unification between the console & handheld, thus making cross-system development for Nintendo easier (especially if Iwata's goal of making future consoles & handhelds interact like iOS devices is to be taken at face value).

Depends on how complicated you want the code to be. I did try porting some simpler programs already to something that could be played on an iPhone & only had to edit a few things here-&-there. I'd need to go back to the Comp-Sci lab to get specifics (my laptop isn't exactly a beast), but I didn't have to bust my balls to get it working on ARM from x86 (which is how I most commonly code my programs). Like I said before, this could change as my programs grow more & more complex.

I want a technical documentation to back up your claim. You don't need to tell me your personal anecdotes.

And if you're talking about really simple projects not really tied to a CPU architecture, then of course it's easy to port. I can port CHIP-8 from C++ to Java easily. That doesn't mean you can extend it to a whole console sophisticated architecture like you are.

Pokemaniac

The reason it doesn't matter is compilers. Games aren't made primarily in assembly anymore (rare exceptions like IronFall notwithstanding). With modern tooling, the vast majority of differences between architectures are handled by compilers now. There are some specific exceptions to this, but by and large, those can be handled by some relatively simple, targeted changes.

diaspora

The lack of crossbuy on SNES N3DS games is more of a shitty business decision than anything else. Infrastructure and a system for crossbuy exists, Nintendo just refuses to use it.

what_year_is_it.jpg

The majority of the 3DS library has shifted to console-like experiences from the very beginning, including tons of straight up console ports being presented as major titles.

Malus

Yeah, I think people took this quote and others and assumed it meant cross play. It could just be a way to save development costs.

I'm really skeptical of crossplay after them making you rebuy SNES games on 3DS.

I don't really see how that helps solve their software drought problems though.

I do wonder why people keep talking about a handheld when 3DS is doing damn well. And there's plenty coming out for it.

Because for a company like Nintendo, with many IP's to juggle and limited resources, it makes sense to move onto a system where they can just worry about "The 3D Mario game" instead of dividing up a team between "The handheld Mario game" and "The Console Mario game".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Because AMD x86 aren't very good, while ARM development is booming with exciting new hardware at every corner. Also, platform wars aren't nearly as fun when the hardware are nearly identical, like XBOne vs PS4 :p. And I believe that ARM is more adequate for lower power consumption CPU's than whatever AMD has provided in nearly a decade.

Pokemaniac

Yes on iOS, developers make iPhone and iPad software. Sometimes you can buy one, and you get the other as an additional free bonus. But they're two different pieces of software.

These are two very different user experiences, and two very different software.

The fact that you can buy either the iPhone or iPad version and get the other one for free is a bonus that some developers opt-in for. Some sell them separately.

If the developer of that app knows what they're doing, it's actually a single app with a dynamic UI.

"Want" is a strong word. Using ARM would align more with the stated goals of the platform, and would save Nintendo a lot of effort.

Neoxon

I want a technical documentation to back up your claim. You don't need to tell me your personal anecdotes.

And if you're talking about really simple projects not really tied to a CPU architecture, then of course it's easy to port. I can port CHIP-8 from C++ to Java easily. That doesn't mean you can extend it to a whole console sophisticated architecture like you are.
Which I can provide the next time I do an ARM project. There's an extra credit assignment coming up in which I have the option to do a UE4 game, so that may be a good opportunity to truly test the porting more (assuming that the assignment doesn't get scooped up).

The reason it doesn't matter is compilers. Games aren't made primarily in assembly anymore (rare exceptions like IronFall notwithstanding). With modern tooling, the vast majority of differences between architectures are handled by compilers now. There are some specific exceptions to this, but by and large, those can be handled by some relatively simple, targeted changes.

Okay, so your claim is that porting from x86 to ARM is really, really easy and all you would need to do is use a different compiler!

Ok great, why doesn't Nintendo use that to port from console to handheld? :) The same argument can be used there.

AntMurda

I don't really see how that helps solve their software drought problems though.

Nintendo doesn't want to develop the same game twice each generation. It really becomes redundant for them.

Besides I believe that Nintendo redefined their game market. Previously it was console and hand held, now it's "dedicated game system" and mobile.

MK_768

The lack of crossbuy on SNES N3DS games is more of a shitty business decision than anything else. Infrastructure and a system for crossbuy exists, Nintendo just refuses to use it.

It's a money grab. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the point of the N3DS.

Malus

Nintendo doesn't want to develop the same game twice each generation. It really becomes redundant for them.

Besides I believe that Nintendo redefined their game market. Previously it was console and hand held, now it's "dedicated game system" and mobile.

Yeah but I mean if this just results in less costly ports, but not more ports of more franchises/cross play, then this doesn't make a lot of difference. We'll see I guess.

Neoxon

To be fair, that could be interpreted in a number of ways. There's the usual "console & handheld under one platform" possibility that we're speculating. And given previous slides mentioning another console & handheld as well as Iwata's quotes on the matter, those speculations may not be that far off-base. But some may interpret that as Nintendo doing away the dedicated handhelds going forward & focusing their efforts on their home consoles & mobile games. Granted, I don't think that's the case, but it is an interpretation that one could get from those statements.

I do wonder why people keep talking about a handheld when 3DS is doing damn well. And there's plenty coming out for it.

It's not doing damned well. It's over five years old, hardware sales have fallen off the cliff even with the New 3DS, and (Pokémon and Dragon Quest aside) the heavy hitters of its lineup are mostly late localisations.

Wii U has been dead for years. It's not likely to get any more dead anytime soon, and so Nintendo don't have to worry about momentum. 3DS, however, has gone from a relatively stable position to dropping like a stone- if they want to use any momentum, they need to release a successor ASAP.

Were I calling the shots, a 3DS replacement would be a much higher priority than a Wii U one. Rejuvenate the actually successful branch of the business first, and try to resurrect the home console business at leisure.

Pokemaniac

Okay, so your claim is that porting from x86 to ARM is really, really easy and all you would need to do is use a different compiler!

Ok great, why doesn't Nintendo use that to port from console to handheld? :) The same argument can be used there.

Certain types of software have no choice but to care about architecture. Maintaining an OS and toolchain for multiple architectures is not a walk in the park. Those get down and dirty so that other software doesn't have to.

Also, unless they implement it a certain way, it's going to encourage some particularly annoying tech debt that will make forwards compatibility super annoying.

dukeoflegs

All these leakers is getting ridiculous. I could probably be a leaker on reddit if I sent in my linkedin page as confirmation, having a couple handful of people at Nintendo and 90% of my connections are in the game industry. But I wouldn't know shit because I've been in mobile the last two years because of the constant layoffs in the game industry.

The newest leaker sounds like his connections are people in QA and don't know the full story or are just hearing stuff through the grapevine. Not getting hardware yet sounds odd, when the PS4 and Xbone were announced the studio I was at got early hardware to get our game up and running on. We had engineers working on getting everthing set up (shaders, memory allocation, etc) and we didn't get test kits until after E3 for the test team to start doing QA. Half the shit the testers and a lot of the team would talk about in the lunch room was often mixed up because they heard one thing from someone and another from someone else and a rumor from the internet.

Yeah some of the shit he is saying might be true but I'm not taking anything serious until Nintendo talks.

Neoxon

Not really. Not only have 3DS sales been on the decline, but most of what we're getting now has been out in Japan for a while (with a few exceptions, such as Sun/Moon & DQXI). And for games like the new Kirby game, it's heavily based off of pre-existing engines (the Triple Deluxe engine in Kirby's case), which likely made the development time for that game much shorter. It's clear that most of Nintendo's true efforts have been moved to the NX Platform. Not to mention that the 3DS is starting to show its age from a hardware standpoint.

atbigelow

ARM assembler and PowerPC aren't that different, although not much of that matters if you aren't coding handwritten assembly. x86 is very different, but again it doesn't matter unless you are writing assembler.

Using bytecode would be a terrible idea (see android) because it means the compiler, or even worse interpreter, needs to live on the device.

Having different binaries for the handheld would seem a bit mad (but possible).

To encourage current gen ports I'm not sure x86 would be that big of an advantage, so long as it isn't something weird like the cell, and it has comparable power to PS4. I don't know if current ARM processors can do that.

Could potentially be something that devs submit bytecode, and Nintendo distributes binaries + assets.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For the record, I don't 'want' NX to be ARM-based, but ARM is by far the most logical path forward for a new gen console ecosystem coming out in 2016 (i.e. a console + a handheld + god-knows-what-else). For the game devs the ISA won't matter 95%* of the time. For the platform privder the ISA will matter a great deal - they have to double their efforts in a good deal of the HAL, last but not least, the security of the sandbox/VM. It's much easer and robust to have one ARMv8 hypervisor across the entire ecosystem**, than N different hypervisors.

* the remaining 5% being inline assembly and/or intrinsics - both things which are normally performance-tuned to the uarch, where things can differ across different x86's as much as they can across x86 and ARM.
** something trivial across ARM's bigLITTLE implementations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom