• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

This discussion is going in circles, as i already shared my points on why it wouldn't be a problem if the multiple systems on the NX family used different CPU architectures.

We can have both, guys. x86, which scales up better, on the console. And ARM, which is currently the best option for a mobile device, on the handheld. All of this and they could still have a shared (software / SDK / tooling) architecture.

The biggest advantage for the console to use x86, of course, is "parity" with the 1080p twins.

That's barely an advantage, though.

bachikarn

It just seems like something that'll result in a handful of extra games, which is kinda neat, instead of a whole or near whole library's worth of games which would really be a game changer.

Maybe, maybe not. Nintendo loves to get people to double dip. Does it really matter if there are 10 handheld games + 5 console games or 15 cross play games.

Nintendo also loves getting people to double dip which is against the cross play paradigm. True cross play also means you only need one of the systems instead of getting both.

Again, not saying it won't happen but given Nintendo's history, I wouldn't assume it will either.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's really not much difference between ARM and x86. ARM is, however, more efficient and lots of other things Blu and Pokemaniac described in earlier posts.

Nintendo could go ARM for their home console and still be at parity with the other two consoles.

MK_768

It's funny how the typical Gaf leakers have stayed away from these leaks threads since the fake controller.

Although, ShockingAlberto is banned so I guess he doesn't have a choice lol.

Anyways, these rumors aren't worth taking seriously anyways. They all contradict each other and when it comes to reddit leaks it is worth not takin them seriously. I mean all of these leakers come out of nowhere with a new reddit account and spout crap. We've seen this show before...we know how it ends lol.

Vena

Someone knows what untypedhero wants to say?
Found this in the same reddit post

Uhh. Developers would not see the ARM CPU if it existed nor does it handle the OS. What is this?

In fact, these supposed co-rumors don't even agree with one another. If there are no SDKs out and everything was added to the Cafe distro, then how would they ever know or have any clue on the architecture under the SDK layer which would almost certainly have to be completely divorced from any speciifcs of hardware if its on the Cafe channel?

Sheroking

There's really not much difference between ARM and x86. ARM is, however, more efficient and lots of other things Blu and Pokemaniac described in earlier posts.

Nintendo could go ARM for their home console and still be at parity with the other two consoles.

I'm not going to pretend to have any fucking clue what I'm talking about in this regard, but what about the compatibility of ARM and x86. Would it be more difficult to port a game from the Xbox One to the NX if NX were to use ARM?

I feel like this is as incredibly important for Nintendo.

MCN

Banned
I'm not going to pretend to have any fucking clue what I'm talking about in this regard, but what about the compatibility of ARM and x86. Would it be more difficult to port a game from the Xbox One to the NX if NX were to use ARM?

Pretty much every engine out there is ARM-compatible. It's not like they're having to completely write the entire game from scratch to make it work, it's all handled by the tools they are using.

It's funny how the typical Gaf leakers have stayed away from these leaks threads since the fake controller.

Anyways, these rumors aren't worth taking seriously anyways. They all contradict each other and when it comes to reddit leaks it is worth not takin them seriously. I mean all of these leakers come out of nowhere with a new reddit account and spout crap. We've seen this show before...we know how it ends lol.

The last thread did an excellent job of demonstrating how little the NeoGAF "insiders" actually know (At least the ones who were willing to talk). I'm happy they have apparently decided to stay away.

Nanashrew

Banned
Something going on over on Twitter. Nintendo's official Twitter account is now a white Nintendo logo and red background. They're rebranding and moving away from the Wii brand.

The Nintendo New York store is also red and white on their wall. YouTube thumbnails also now used the red and white logo too. I expect something of this rebranding change.

Something going on over on Twitter. Nintendo's official Twitter account is now a white Nintendo logo and red background. They're rebranding and moving away from the Wii brand.

The Nintendo New York store is also red and white on their wall. YouTube thumbnails also now used the red and white logo too. I expect something of this rebranding change.

When did the Twitter account changed?

Vena

Ahh the road to E3 is a long one.

Who knows. Maybe nintendo will deliver or we will experience a massive crash and burn lol.

Nintendo will disappoint so badly that the entire industry will collapse, all the X1s and PS4s on the market will become capable of only playing ET for the Atari 2600. Then Nintendo will come in and save the industry with the New NES.

MK_768

The last thread did an excellent job of demonstrating how little the NeoGAF "insiders" actually know (At least the ones who were willing to talk). I'm happy they have apparently decided to stay away.

Yup. Although, I think Rosti has gotten the raw end of the stick. He's never said whether or not the leaks were true. He only said if they were then it would make things complicated and worse on the NDA side of stuff. Many gaf users assumed he confirmed the fake controller as real.

But the others, good riddance with em.

Neoxon

Yup. Although, I think Rosti has gotten the raw end of the stick. He's never said whether or not the leaks were true. He only said if they were then it would make things complicated and worse on the NDA side of stuff. Many gaf users assumed he confirmed the fake controller as real.

But the others, good riddance with em.
Well, Rosti didn't get banned, so that has to mean something.

PSVita isn't exactly lighting up the charts now is it? It has no unique, distinctive feature that is a must-have. It's a novelty feature.
Actually, yes in Japan. It still sells a hell of a lot more hardware and software than the WiiU. And you completely missed the point (probably deliberately) that it is certainly possible to release the same games on a home console and handheld. It will be even more possible on a newer handheld.

Pokemaniac

I feel like this is as incredibly important for Nintendo.

Marginally.

Actually, yes in Japan. It still sells a hell of a lot more hardware and software than the WiiU. And you completely missed the point (probably deliberately) that it is certainly possible to release the same games on a home console and handheld. It will be even more possible on a newer handheld.

No shit it is technically possible. Is it possible from a user design perspective and a business perspective? You're missing that point (probably deliberately).

Also if you're arguing with me that Vita sells well, I don't want to hear from you anymore. And yes, that is deliberate.

maxcriden

I didn't realize that thread got people banned, wow.

I don't think we have any solid evidence that it did. Plus, Alberto never said in that thread that the leak was real. He said one source told him it was, and that he was waiting for further evidence to confirm that, and that perhaps the second leak constituted further evidence.

Malus

Didn't realize SA got banned.

18-Volt

Third party still will be releasing stuff this year. Guessing the last thing we get will be Yokai Watch Busters with YW3 getting ported to NX.

It is third party and first party combined. Here are all the stuff slated for release this year in Japan:

Pokémon Sun & Moon
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Federation Force
Etrian Odyssey 5
Story of Seasons 2
Yokai Watch 3

Cross platform:
Dragon Quest XI, probably not for 2016

Just 6 games for the rest of the year shows that system is indeed its in final year. Everybody is probably too busy with making games for NX right now.

It is third party and first party combined. Here are all the stuff slated for release this year in Japan:

Pokémon Sun & Moon
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Federation Force
Etrian Odyssey 5
Story of Seasons 2
Yokai Watch 3

Cross platform:
Dragon Quest IX, probably not for 2016

Just 6 games for the rest of the year shows that system is indeed its in final year. Everybody is probably too busy with making games for NX right now.

I would wait till E3 till proclaiming that's all the system has for the whole year. I feel like we go through this same song and dance every year then E3 comes around and some more games are announced

Neoxon

Pokémon Sun & Moon
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Federation Force
Etrian Odyssey 5
Story of Seasons 2
Yokai Watch 3

Cross platform:
Dragon Quest IX, probably not for 2016

Is Ace Attorney 6 already out in Japan?

I would wait till E3 till proclaiming that's all the system has for the whole year. I feel like we go through this same song and dance every year then E3 comes around and some more games are announced
Judging by Trev's leak, one of the two then-unannounced "major 3DS games" was Kirby Planet Robobot. By that logic, "N-Stars" is the last major 3DS game we should expect from Nintendo this year.

Banned

One of the Reddit leakers said the nx dev kit interface has lots of red. We going back to red, fam!

18-Volt

Is Ace Attorney 6 already out in Japan?

Judging by Trev's leak, one of the two then-unannounced "major 3DS games" was Kirby Planet Robobot. By that logic, "N-Stars" is the last major 3DS game we should expect from Nintendo this year.

Yeah AA6 too, I always forget that it's a thing. Game looks forgettable too and it's Capcom's fault making so. That makes it 7.

I'm pretty sure that rumored N-Stars game is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3. We know that it's coming and leaked list only shows for North American releases.

Neoxon

I figured that was Rhythm Heaven
Rhythm Heaven isn't exactly a big-budget game. The most expensive thing would probably be the vocal songs, which likely wouldn't be that bad financially.

Yeah AA6 too, I always forget that it's a thing. Game looks forgettable too and it's Capcom's fault making so. That makes it 7.

I'm pretty sure that rumored N-Stars game is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3. We know that it's coming and leaked list only shows for North American releases.
You also forgot Monster Hunter Stories, as WarioFan63 pointed out.

Dunno if this has been talked about but if the NX did use Arm, what architecture would we be talking about here? K12 is for servers and not releasing until next year. Doesn't the A1100 kinda suck and also for servers? What does AMD have that would be viable for console ARM?

Mory Dunz

Pokémon Sun & Moon
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Federation Force
Etrian Odyssey 5
Story of Seasons 2
Yokai Watch 3

Cross platform:
Dragon Quest XI, probably not for 2016

Where's MH Stories? That's liely one of the biggest games of the year.

Are you sure you're not missing others? I'm no 3DS expert, but others probably are.

One of the Reddit leakers said the nx dev kit interface has lots of red. We going back to red, fam!

Reddit leakers are not leakers. Why would a dev kit contain marketing on it? Wii U had a black box that looked like an oscilloscope ffs. And the second Dev Kit was green. Wii was green as well.

wii-u-dev-kit.jpg
wiigreen.jpg

Neoxon

Where's MH Stories? That's liely one of the biggest games of the year.

Are you sure you're not missing others? I'm no 3DS expert, but others probably are.
The main two he forgot were Monster Hunter Stories (as you've mentioned) & Ace Attorney 6.

Ok, so we know it is potentially as powerful as Bone and PS4 then.

Nintendo needs to match PS4k though.

Why? They create their own software, which is optimized very tightly.

See: iOS devices having less RAM/specs than some Android devices, yet sometimes have superior performance.

muteki

What tangible benefits has x86 brought the end user in PS4 and X1? There were so many "it is going to be so much easier to x now!" around when they came out, and I'm not sure anything came of it. Easier ports?

diaspora

Ok, so we know it is potentially as powerful as Bone and PS4 then.

Nintendo needs to match PS4k though.

Why? If it's as powerful as the PS4, it'll be good enough to get all the games the PS4 gets. The PS4k doesn't enter the equation unless Sony allows people to make PS4K exclusive games in which case they'd be screwing tens of millions of customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom