• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedGamingTech: "Why Series X is having performance problems."

Says someone from Ubi told him the tools weren’t as advanced as Sony’s, or am I misunderstanding him?

Cerny Sauce

giphy.gif

Last edited:

CAB_Life

DF already said it was the tools, I don't know why some random YTer opining would somehow present unique or valuable info we haven't heard before. How hard is it to wait and see what the second crop of multiplats is like? I feel like these threads just devolve into the usual suspects flinging poo and flashing their asses at each other while regurgitating the same tired talking points.

I'm not even sure what I'm doing here. I'll show myself out.

Last edited:
The take away is he thinks development will of course improve on Series X through the coming months, but he never mentions something stupid like Series X eventually gaining some kind of 20% advantage over the PS5. He pointed out the same thing that a lot of us here said that the PS5 will see gains as well.

IMHO, they will continue to trade blows throughout the generation. I just wished a certain group would give up on the "Series X will have 20% advantage at the very least in all games" fantasy.

Iced Arcade

but but last month you guys loved RGT lol

example 1:

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
I’m shocked he concluded that.
I mean what possible happened to made him realize that?

He sure has many sources.

In every video he has to preface that "he won´t name them, because ....". He like every other youtuber dissects the information at hand, from the past 72h posted on reddit, ngaf, known websites etc. and makes content with it.
Ubisoft Video = my sources told me
AMD Video = my sources told me
Intel Video = my sources told me
Sony Video = my sources told me
Microsoft Video = my sources told me
And now he too claims "all because of them broken tools!" ... i guess then, those Dirt 5 teaser running on XSX around october were all fake?

And some pizza fan here claimed that the devkits of PS5 were in a broken, hot garbage state around april 2020. Loud as fuck, terrible .... yet Montreal had MS devkits since nov. 2019? ... and the Dirt 5, Valhalla developers and everyone else had to work on shitty, broken ass, loud and noisy PS5 devkits?

All a bunch of pathological liars.

Garjon

Sony have the better tools because they took COVID seriously and planned ahead for contingencies, whereas MS made jokes on Twitter and now their chickens are coming home to roost.

In all seriousness, I'm fairly sure the performance delta will narrow in a few months and both consoles will perform very similarly in third party games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PS5 tools and APIs aren't static and also keep improving.
If MS doesn't catch up quickly it might impact the growth of their install base.
The problem is, that now it's already too late, because if this is is something low level which is no exposed to the game devs (this is non-issue on PS5 obviously), then I don't think that during full-on production they are going to make changes on top of that. I think it would result in miriads of bugs. Let's just say that we don't even see upgrades on UE4 engine version, within one game. Too risky, needs again QA and it's a shitshow all around. Tools can be cool for devs, however performance stack (aka how does it work between game code, engine, drivers and hw, could be scotch tape programming). And on the top of that, it has split pool memory, which is managed automatically, this is non issue for the devs, but huge problem for MS and if there are some bugs, then well. It's bad. I remember how John Carmack said that if you would like to trace down some object to a mapped memory through Direct X, you would cry. And that's the god of programming.

Also why is everything 1st from the MS in pre-production, seems like they had some issues with all of this.

Halo: Infinite notwithstanding. But other devs are not 343i, which can have budgets which even makes R* blush and time, appearantly how much they want.

Cherrypepsi

"Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we’ve built are gonna show up when we’re gonna talk more about our games and framerates and other things. I thought the games line-up we’re gonna have at launch I’ve felt really good about. And we got more clarity on what they’re doing, obviously at their show. Which has just helped us focus on showing what we have. So, I think they’ve done a good job. They do what they do very well. And they did that. But when I think about the position we’re in with the games we’re gonna show with the hardware advantage that we have I think we’re in a very good position. So, I feel good about July. "

cebri.one

I don't think he really gave an explanation more than:
- Ubi decided at the last minute to move to 60 fps
- The GDK is not as mature and was delivered a bit late (Ubi recieved it on 2019)
- XBSX dev environment will improve and also PS5's

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There very well may be some sort of bottleneck on the series x thats causing issues I dont know.

That said I dont get how hard it is for people to understand the maturity process of how these machines come about.

Yes the earlier PS5 kits were a hot, loud and sometimes crashing mess.

But the fact remains those early PS5 kits were in the wild before the series x kits.

Will the series x perform better with games having more bake time?

I dunno.

Wasnt long ago RGT was worshiped when he was saying the PS5 could have this infinity cache.

Now he is being made fun of because of exactly what has been the talk for the last couple of weeks?

Funny. Sad but funny.

Drewpee

Banned
I don't know what Gaf's opinions are about RGT, but I tend to enjoy hearing his thoughts on such things.

The entire start to the generation on both sides is nothing but FUD being tossed around. Ruins the fun of a new generation when everyone is so focused on what the "other" does wrong.

I enjoy going back and forth and talking a little trash but the start to this generation has a different feel and nothing about it has been positive, mostly due to miserable gamers who refuse to enjoy their hobby and instead turn into little soldiers for their favorite brand. Shit is stupid and tiresome.

MrMephistoX

TBH I do believe Xbox is still going to have the best third party performance. I mean MK11 looks next gen now due to their BC wizardry and looks noticeably worse on PS5. Current gen on the other hand it seems like graphically on par with frame dips which could be explained by the tools not being great?

Rolla

Banned
It comes down to optimization and devs targeting a lead platform. These other theories, especially if you follow gaming's social media and know where those theories come from, aren't based in reality.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There very well may be some sort of bottleneck on the series x thats causing issues I dont know.

That said I dont get how hard it is for people to understand the maturity process of how these machines come about.

Yes the earlier PS5 kits were a hot, loud and sometimes crashing mess.

But the fact remains those early PS5 kits were in the wild before the series x kits.

Will the series x perform better with games having more bake time?

I dunno.

Wasnt long ago RGT was worshiped when he was saying the PS5 could have this infinity cache.

Now he is being made fun of because of exactly what has been the talk for the last couple of weeks?

Funny. Sad but funny.
MtZ9N.gif

martino

all this is known and is a logic explanation of the situation

edit : Paul is right option is always good.

Last edited:

Romulus

The cyberpunk 2077 patch on XSX and PS5 will be interesting because the game has been in a development crunch, and we know how those results have turned out so far. Even when Xbox has the marketing, the XSX seems to lose.

That's another issue altogether. When pressed for time, ps5 has the advantage and xbox and sony pushing their old consoles for another 2-3 years really helps ps5. Then bam mid gen refreshes hit.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The entire start to the generation on both sides is nothing but FUD being tossed around. Ruins the fun of a new generation when everyone is so focused on what the "other" does wrong.

I enjoy going back and forth and talking a little trash but the start to this generation has a different feel and nothing about it has been positive, mostly due to miserable gamers who refuse to enjoy their hobby and instead turn into little soldiers for their favorite brand. Shit is stupid and tiresome.
Always been like this. Its just that thanks to the growth of social media its all laid out in the open now.
If you don't like, just ignore it. No other way around the madness of the internet.

Ar¢tos

Not really. I mean those who watch comparison videos are relatively minor group. In fact the general public don't have access to consoles basically till the next year.
And by then the rumors that XSX games aren't performing as they should are widely spread and that will impact new buyers choice.
I think it was terrible timing to do such a significant SDK change at the same time of a new console launch.
Maybe they expected the transition to be a lot smother.

Top Bottom