• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

TDLink

NSMBU is to Super Mario World what Sonic 4 is to Sonic The Hedgehog 2. A mediocre product designed to play on your nostalgia in order to make a quick buck. Nintendo and Sega are businesses after all.

I'm pretty sure it is impossible to say that based on 3 shown levels and the fact that the game isn't out yet. Whether you wanted a different kind of Mario or not I am sure NSMBU will be an excellent game. They haven't made a bad Mario platformer.

Also true story, I thought SMW was the best 2D mario for years. However, I also believe that NSMB Wii trumped it and is now the holder of that title. The thing that really made SMW have such staying power was its overworld design...which they really need to bring back for a game.

NSMBU is to Super Mario World what Sonic 4 is to Sonic The Hedgehog 2. A mediocre product designed to play on your nostalgia in order to make a quick buck.

OK, I can understand being tired of the art and music style of the series but this is starting to get off the rails rediculous. NSMB Wii is a great game. It has great level design, it's plenty challenging when it needs to be and was made to be tougher by Miyamoto after fans expressed anger at how easy NSMB DS was (and people say Nintendo never listens), it featured the return of the Koopa Kids after an 18 year absence (no, M&L Superstar Saga doesn't count) adding greatly to the variety of its boss battles, it managed to somehow even make Bowser Jr cool via the new Koopa Clown Car battles, it had some really sweet Airship stages, it features hands down one of, if not THE best Bowser battle in the entire series (a battle made even cooler by the fact that Miyamoto said in an interview that it was inspired by the final battle in Yoshi's Island), and World 9 was an awesome reward. I played it nonstop for a month straight and it was my favorite gaming experience of the 2009/2010 season second only to SMG 2. So, comparing NSMB Wii to unpolished junk like Sonic 4 is a crime of astronomically cynical and bitter proportions. But to each their own.

OK, I can understand being tired of the art and music style of the series but this is starting to get off the rails rediculous. NSMB Wii is a great game. It has great level design, it's plenty challenging when it needs to be and was made to be tougher by Miyamoto after fans expressed anger at how easy NSMB DS was (and people say Nintendo never listens), it featured the return of the Koopa Kids after an 18 year absence (no, M&L Superstar Saga doesn't count) adding greatly to the variety of its boss battles, it managed to somehow even make Bowser Jr cool via the new Koopa Clown Car battles, it had some really sweet Airship stages, it features hands down one of, if not THE best Bowser battle in the entire series (a battle made even cooler by the fact that Miyamoto said in an interview that it was inspired by the final battle in Yoshi's Island), and World 9 was an awesome reward. I played it nonstop for a month straight and it was my favorite gaming experience of the 2009/2010 season second only to SMG 2. So, comparing NSMB Wii to unpolished junk like Sonic 4 is a crime of astronomically cynical and bitter proportions. But to each their own.

I played sonic 4 for months straight also because I loved the old sonic games growing up and it was such a thrill to see metal sonic after an 18 year hiatus as well. But guess what? It's because of nostalgia not because the game is great. It's your love and memories of the old Mario games that made you love NSMB. You put sonic 4 and NSMB next to to each other and compare them to the 16 bit games in their respected franchises and you'll see they don't hold up.

The final Bowser confrontation in NSMB:Wii might be the best "boss battle" in all of Mario's platforming games.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The final Bowser confrontation in NSMB:Wii might be the best "boss battle" in all of Mario's platforming games.
Good lord, yes.

That whole game was phomenal. Anyone who thinks the NSMB games are somehow low-quality money-makers are sadly mistaken, or just lack the ability to identify a good game, I guess.

They can keep giving me NSMB games until the end of time. I certainly think that, to an extent, they lack some of the visual charm the retro titles have, but they're every bit as good, if not better, as far as gameplay and level design goes.

It's your love and memories of the old Mario games that made you love NSMB.

No, it's because it was a high quality game, period. And as I said before, seeing things like the Koopa Kids again wasn't just cool due to nostalgia, it added variety to the boss fights. Yeah the game has fanservice, but it's never shallow and always adds to the experience.

Agreed. SMG 2 Bowser is either tied or very close.

dwu8991

Banned
Good lord, yes.

That whole game was phomenal. Anyone who thinks the NSMB games are somehow low-quality money-makers are sadly mistaken, or just lack the ability to identify a good game, I guess.

They can keep giving me NSMB games until the end of time. I certainly think that, to an extent, they lack some of the visual charm the retro titles have, but they're every bit as good, if not better, as far as gameplay and level design goes.

#1 selling game for the wii

best console game of this generation for me !

Glass Rebel

I played sonic 4 for months straight also because I loved the old sonic games growing up and it was such a thrill to see metal sonic after an 18 year hiatus as well. But guess what? It's because of nostalgia not because the game is great. It's your love and memories of the old Mario games that made you love NSMB. You put sonic 4 and NSMB next to to each other and compare them to the 16 bit games in their respected franchises and you'll see they don't hold up.

What a bunch of bullshit. If you're gonna make such an outrageous claim at least try to back it up.

disap.ed

I found the "slidy" behavour of Mario to be a real deal breaker for me (this and the shitty Wiimote D-Pad and lack of classic controller support), I never could really get into this game unfortunately :(

TDLink

Nothing you said here is true in the slightest, with the exception of you having played Sonic 4. NSMBW rocked. Hell, it was honestly basically a new Super Mario World except they structured the overworld so it was a tad more separate.

Top Bottom