• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

Miles X

I don't think Reggie is deluded as well.

He does his job well, and sometimes it clashes with popular opinion. It happens.

He thinks Nintendo is his company :p

Unless he doesn't believe in a lot of what he's said lately, I'd say he's deluded. They really think what they're doing is acceptable and enticing to the core crowd.

Penguin

He thinks Nintendo is his company :p

Unless he doesn't believe in a lot of what he's said lately, I'd say he's deluded. They really think what they're doing is acceptable and enticing to the core crowd.

And it very well could be.
The "core" or the "hardcore" or the "casuals" aren't a single entity who only enjoys one type of game. So they are spreading out their appeal with a bunch of different titles.

There isn't a single "killer" app to speak of, but it has a decent spread.

Anyhow, it seems like Forbes has chimed in
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...s-aime-says-gamers-are-impossible-to-satisfy/

TAS

Most of us are up in arms about is comments essentially calling us whingers.

And he is absolutely correct. Nintendo fans are impossible to please. Our expectations are so ridiculously high that seemingly nothing can truly satisfy us. We are the architects of our discontentment.

And he is absolutely correct. Nintendo fans are impossible to please. Our expectations are so ridiculously high that seemingly nothing can truly satisfy us. We are the architects of our discontentment.

Are you sure? Because apparently any old Mario game and old tech will satisfy...

MisterHero

Extensive amounts of disappointment and despair can make time seem to last longer.

I'm referring to NOA's idiotic stance about localizing the game.
Yeah, after playing this game I don't think anyone at NoA actually played it or borrowed the game from NCL or NOE. :p I mean, after playing it just once, you know everyone should get to play it!

I still feel like the other games are not as worth it, but I haven't played them. Xenoblade's relative success really shocked me. In retrospect, it probably shouldn't have, because while it's a JRPG, it does away with some of the oldest, worst parts of the genre. An excellent game always has a chance of selling.

Vinci

Danish
Are you sure? Because apparently any old Mario game and old tech will satisfy...

Tastes differ. Really, this is something people on GAF should have figured out by now. We've been actively discussing it - in one way or another - for going on half a decade now.

Tastes differ. Really, this is something people on GAF should have figured out by now. We've been actively discussing it - in one way or another - for going on half a decade now.

Unless the tolerance for Nintendo's persistence on spreading out 1st party titles few and far between and "dated" technology... the "high expectations" thing really doesn't show. I know people like Amir0x loves Nintendo games, but he seems to be tired of their shit. I don't see that often.

Vinci

Danish
Unless the tolerance for Nintendo's persistence on spreading out 1st party titles few and far between and "dated" technology... the "high expectations" thing really doesn't show. I know people like Amir0x loves Nintendo games, but he seems to be tired of their shit. I don't see that often.

Considering the immense quality in the Mario titles, 'high expectations' is a fair statement. It would be very easy for Nintendo to make a Mario game that isn't as good as the previous ones. Thus far, they're doing pretty well at maintaining the level - it's why the series has lasted so long, even while other franchises have gone kaput.

Now if you'd like to make the argument that Nintendo fans are somehow completely unique from all other gamers, that's fine. It's a bad argument, but it at least removes the absolute perspective you were using before.

Not really anymore. This year Apr-June releases like Spirit Camera, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Tennis Open, Pokémon Conquest and Pikmin 2 didn't get E3 showings the previous year.

In Q2 2013 we're definitely going to see 1st party 3DS and Wii U games that weren't at E3. Everything that was will release before that unless delayed. All the 3DS stuff will release before 2012's done even.

All of those are handheld releases besides Pikmin and Xenoblade, and Xenoblade I know for a fact appeared at E3 before.

All of those are handheld releases besides Pikmin and Xenoblade, and Xenoblade I know for a fact appeared at E3 before.
Not as Xenoblade and not the E3 before (or the E3 before that either). Those were Nintendo's only two console games for Q2 as well, clearly they've had a strategy change since they released 5 Q2 games and none were at the previous E3. When you're wrong, you're wrong.

Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Kid Icarus / Sin & Punishment crossover
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
Steam Support on the Wii U
Mother Trilogy on the 3DS
...and more

And the Nintendo fans would still ask for more. Nintendo fans ALWAYS want more. There's no getting around that.
You're full of shit.

Stet

Banned
Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
...and more

And the Nintendo fans would still ask for more. Nintendo fans ALWAYS want more. There's no getting around that.

It's a good thing they got around that SNAFU by only announcing the worst option out of those.

TDLink

list isn't NEW IP enough

it's full of SAFE CHOICES

Starfox is a wasted of Retro/EAD/insert Nintendo group talent

The sad truth is people don't get excited for new IPs in the same way. We have seen it a ton this past gen as many new IPs from Nintendo have gone unnoticed. Xenoblade is the only new IP that saw some success. However, I would bet heavily that is only due to it being held from release in Europe for a year and NA for two and the entire Operation Rainfall campaign giving it a high degree of free marketing/word of mouth.

Nintendo fans don't want to buy other systems. Simple as that.

Get all the multiplat games that comes out for MS and Sony, plus a few exclusives and Nintendo fans will be satisfied.

This means Nintendo wouldn't have to release 20 first party games in a year and could focus on releasing super high quality titles without the filler.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Again I really don't remember fans saying they wanted more when the Wii was about to release so I really don't think fans would never be satisfied. And like has said before its partly because the motion controls was a far better gimmick at the time and its partly because nintendo stopped showing things past the launch window. They somehow found a way to show very polished demos for 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid and more before launch of that system.

I do believe asking more for launch is asking for too much. Its the future that everyone wishes was less certain.

AzaK

Reggie's too pompous.. the company is arrogant.
Moffitt is too timid.. the company has no confidence in their product.

Nintendo is a very bi-polar company apparently.

They do seem that way don't they? Sort of mirrors how they seem directionless at the moment and unable to show a clear vision for the future.

I would love to see someone a little more "hardcore" with some clout at Nintendo. I don't mean "pour our money down the tubes" hardcore, I just mean someone who wants to go out there and put on a show. Someone who wants to cater to us fans more and get us hyped, and buying their consoles in droves. Someone who wants to give us something to make us tell out friends they need a Wii U cause it's better than sex.

Regarding Reggie's "call out". I think he's just confused. He's thinking that our unhappiness is to do with what he's shown lately as opposed to what he hasn't.

TDLink

They do seem that way don't they? Sort of mirrors how they seem directionless at the moment and unable to show a clear vision for the future.

I would love to see someone a little more "hardcore" with some clout at Nintendo. I don't mean "pour our money down the tubes" hardcore, I just mean someone who wants to go out there and put on a show. Someone who wants to cater to us fans more and get us hyped, and buying their consoles in droves. Someone who wants to give us something to make us tell out friends they need a Wii U cause it's better than sex.

Regarding Reggie's "call out". I think he's just confused. He's thinking that our unhappiness is to do with what he's shown lately as opposed to what he hasn't.

To be fair, no matter who is the President in charge of NoA it will never change the fact that NoA doesn't really do much. They localize and distribute. They don't do any development though (unless you count Retro), everything is run through NCL. So it isn't really NoA's "fault" that there isn't more to show for Wii U at the moment. It is likely a company mandate to not do so at the moment.

Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
...and more

They announced less than 1/3rd of that volume of core titles in 2010, and everyone was more than satisfied. Ecstatic, even.

903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg

AzaK

To be fair, no matter who is the President in charge of NoA it will never change the fact that NoA doesn't really do much. They localize and distribute. They don't do any development though (unless you count Retro), everything is run through NCL. So it isn't really NoA's "fault" that there isn't more to show for Wii U at the moment. It is likely a company mandate to not do so at the moment.

Sorry, I'm not in the US myself so I was speaking about Nintendo top brass, as in Iwata and Co.

It's a hard one though because I think Nintendo do a lot of smart stuff and I'd not want that to disappear. I don't want them to become an XBox type division but I would just love them to push the console more, and have a little more a western hype mentality. I love tech gadgets, and I do want to be wowed.

Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
...and more

This has got to be the dumbest straw man going in this thread. Yeah, that wouldn't work because Nintendo fans obviously hated all the games Nintendo announced at E3 2006, 2009 and 2010, right? As one example, Other M's first showing was at E3 2009 which didn't arrive until a full year later, so there was no excuse this year for them not showing some small teasers for what Retro, EAD or the other teams have cooking.

Reggie had some very successful E3's (2004, 2006, 2010, etc.) and many awful E3s (2005, 2007, etc) by now he should know better

I guess Nintendo will forever have the most inconsistent e3 press conferecnes you just never know if its gonna be a good year, a mediocre year, or a downright awful year.

The simple truth of the matter is that Nintendo lacks the financials and business model to monetize the demand for AAA, 1st-party, Nintendo core titles at the level dedicated n-fans desire.

Contradictorily, n-fans are the biggest defenders of the Nintendo market approach that is contrary their own core gaming interests.

The simple truth of the matter is that Nintendo lacks the financials and business model to monetize the demand for AAA, 1st-party, Nintendo core titles at the level dedicated n-fans desire.

Yet, n-fans are the biggest defenders of the Nintendo market approach that is contrary their own gaming interests.

They did a pretty good job on the n64 though making sure all the franchises got at least 1 big installment (Starfox 64, Super Mario 64, Zelda, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Waverace, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Paper Mario, etc.) Zelda even got 2 major games! I think the only franchise missing was Metroid. Why can't they commit to at least going back to that level of production instead of pumping out like 10 casual Mario titles a year?

Fantastical

Death Prophet

You keep saying this. I don't think I understand what you mean.

Doesn't Nintendo have several billion dollars? They are exclusively a video game company...

They did a pretty good job on the n64 though making sure all the franchises got at least 1 big installment (Starfox 64, Super Mario 64, Zelda, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Waverace, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Paper Mario, etc.) Zelda even got 2 major games! I think the only franchise missing was Metroid. Why can't they commit to at least going back to that level of production instead of pumping out like 10 casual Mario titles a year?

Because development costs escalated significantly and they no longer have the business model to support that level of AAA core gaming, as I'm claiming.

The kiddy direction of GC was an intentional cost minimization move by Nintendo which failed and later gave rise to the casual direction of Wii (also influenced by an underlying low cost game design initiative, but with a broader market appeal).

You keep saying this. I don't think I understand what you mean.

Doesn't Nintendo have several billion dollars? They are exclusively a video game company...

Because it's not about spending their war chest on game development, but operating a business model where reported quarterly revenues exceed quarterly costs. That is why the stock market valuation is what it is as well, which I also keep saying.

TDLink

Because it's not about spending their war chest on game development, but operating a business model where reported quarterly revenues exceed quarterly costs. That is why the stock market valuation is what it is as well, which I also keep saying.

Their revenues always have exceeded their costs though with the sole exception being last year...for their entire time in the Video Game Industry. I don't think a one year exception is a trend. They are a very stable and profitable company on the whole.

Pre

I think that Reggie does have a point - it can be incredibly difficult to keep Nintendo fans satisfied - but at the same time I think they've done a poor job in the last year or two of understand the needs of the core market. I'm more satisfied with their E3 conference after having time to cool off and examine it more closely, but they needed at least one title that really stood out. I think Pikmin was supposed to be that game, and while everyone was satisfied with it I don't think that it's the kind of game that really hypes people up for a console.

To be fair, all three companies did a shitastic job at E3 in terms of cultivating consumer confidence.

ghibli99

True, they gave us those things, but it all just felt so... bland.

Yes, people wanted Pikmin, but not everyone. Probably not even a majority.

Yes, people wanted a Mario game, but I think most anticipated SMG3 or SM3DL2... could've even been something like "Super Mario U Land" and done it in the style/spirit of SM3DL and the response would've been pretty huge.

And as for Nintendoland... I think Nintendo's miscalculation was equating its importance/impact with that of Wii Sports. I don't see that happening. They'll probably do a Wii Sports U to make up for it and to complement the Wii Fit U.

Penguin

True, they gave us those things, but it all just felt so... bland.

Yes, people wanted Pikmin, but not everyone. Probably not even a majority.

Yes, people wanted a Mario game, but I think most anticipated SMG3 or SM3DL2... could've even been something like "Super Mario U Land" and done it in the style/spirit of SM3DL and the response would've been pretty huge.

And as for Nintendoland... I think Nintendo's miscalculation was equating its importance/impact with that of Wii Sports. I don't see that happening. They'll probably do a Wii Sports U to make up for it and to complement the Wii Fit U.

A Super Mario U Land would have met with a similar reaction.. since we just got SM3DLand.. like half a year ago.

Pikmin is a niche game. It's a great supplemental offering but it shouldn't be the main event. Like I keep saying a proper next gen 3D Mario or a trailer for retro's new game would have easily saved there e3. Pikmin, old 360 ports, and a lazy 2D Mario is not how you launch a new system.

one of my big problems with nintendo's announcements is that their games look really poor compared to first party sony and microsoft games, and compared to third party games launching on the platform.

How can I be excited for nintendo if they can't even push their own hardware. Hardware they've known about long before third parties knew about it, hardware that they're going to trying to support and should know the intricacies, hardware releasing 7 years after their competition. People are upset with nintendo because nintendo doing a console version of DS, and that's not enough innovation to motivate fans, and it lacks the appeal to motivate the hardcore.

On top of that nintendo isn't really offering many new IP's in the launch window, beyond a re-skinning of marioparty, nothing to draw in new fans, and nothing to keep older fans interested in the imaginitive games nintendo used to have. Nintendo is playing the nastalgia game and eventually it's going to run dry.

Pre

one of my big problems with nintendo's announcements is that their games look really poor compared to first party sony and microsoft games, and compared to third party games launching on the platform.

How can I be excited for nintendo if they can't even push their own hardware. Hardware they've known about long before third parties knew about it, hardware that they're going to trying to support and should know the intricacies, hardware releasing 7 years after their competition. People are upset with nintendo because nintendo doing a console version of DS, and that's not enough innovation to motivate fans, and it lacks the appeal to motivate the hardcore.

On top of that nintendo isn't really offering many new IP's in the launch window, beyond a re-skinning of marioparty, nothing to draw in new fans, and nothing to keep older fans interested in the imaginitive games nintendo used to have. Nintendo is playing the nastalgia game and eventually it's going to run dry.

Nintendo's always doomed. You're just the latest false prophet.

TDLink

I agree their first party offerings at launch are not on par graphically with a lot that is out there right now. The Zelda Tech demo and Bird tech demo from last year proved they are more than capable of generating that kind of graphical quality though. I definitely hope we see games on that level sooner rather than later.

Just because they have been developing this system for a while doesn't mean all of their studios had the hardware to work with that much longer. In fact, I would be surprised if many of them had it prior to the E3 2011 reveal. Probably just a couple to generate the tech demos they had. It is also false to say it is "7 years after their competition". Like it or not this system is made to compete long term with the next Playstation and Xbox, not the PS3 and 360. Not really sure how this is a console version of the DS either apart from bringing another screen to console gaming (although in a completely different way from the DS did to handheld gaming). I am sure Nintendo hopes it is as successful as the DS though since it is one of their largest money making machines ever.

They have a brand new IP being developed for launch by Platinum, P-100. It looks pretty imaginative and unique too. Although, I am sure most will ignore it like most of their new IPs and continue to use that false strawman argument that they only rehash old franchises.

Nintendo's always doomed. You're just the latest false prophet.

is that all you got to say?

Where did I say nintendo was doomed?

Nintendo is playing the same game they did last generation, whether or not is pays off is yet to be seen. I think the wii-u is a console DS, which I think is less innovative then the wii, and I'm voicing my concerns and I'm voicing concerns that others might share with me, it has nothing to do with being doomed.

TDLink

is that all you got to say?

Where did I say nintendo was doomed?

Nintendo is playing the same game they did last generation, whether or not is pays off is yet to be seen. I think the wii-u is a console DS, which I think is less innovative then the wii, and I'm voicing my concerns and I'm voicing concerns that others might share with me, it has nothing to do with being doomed.

You still haven't said why you think Wii U is merely a "console DS". Moreover, in the case it was a DS...how would that even be bad (which is what your implication is) since that was a fantastic system with an amazing library?

You still haven't said why you think Wii U is merely a "console DS". Moreover, in the case it was a DS...how would that even be bad (which is what your implication is) since that was a fantastic system with an amazing library?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying compared to the motion controls of the wii it's not nearly as innovative, and beacause of that it lacks the same excitment the wii generated.

TDLink

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying compared to the motion controls of the wii it's not nearly as innovative, and beacause of that it lacks the same excitment the wii generated.

Well, it is hard to compare to the pre-release expectations of the Wii. Everyone was caught up in the hype of motion controls. I don't think really any game actually lived up to what people were thinking before it came out either though...maybe Skyward Sword.

If anything, the pre-release buzz being more reserved is better and probably more realistic. I think purely on an innovation level there is still something to be said for the controller streaming/multi-tasking. Being able to take a console game with you away from the TV to another part of the house and/or allowing the TV to be freed up for other things is really neat. I also think the ways in which the controller screen can interact with the television screen will be a lot more varied due to the screens not being attached like the DS/3DS.

Well, it is hard to compare to the pre-release expectations of the Wii. Everyone was caught up in the hype of motion controls. I don't think really any game actually lived up to what people were thinking before it came out either though...maybe Skyward Sword.

If anything, the pre-release buzz being more reserved is better and probably more realistic. I think purely on an innovation level there is still something to be said for the controller streaming/multi-tasking. Being able to take a console game with you away from the TV to another part of the house and/or allowing the TV to be freed up for other things is really neat. I also think the ways in which the controller screen can interact with the television screen will be a lot more varied due to the screens not being attached like the DS/3DS.

yeah, and that pre-release buzz is changing the frame of mind of many gamers, which is where a lot of that unsatifsaction is coming from.

Yagharek

All I'll say is that I'm baffled as to why people would be unhappy with a new 2D Mario game. NSMBU looked gorgeous, with ghost levels that looked like a Van Gogh brushwork level in the background. Given how fun NSMB Wii was, especially the last level and endgame, I don't know how people could be disappointed in it.

OK, sure, we had two very good 3D Mario games with Galaxy1/2. No arguments there. But like the argument over which Zelda gets on 3DS (Majora, LTTP or a whole new one), my answer to both propositions is a wholehearted yes to any and all of them, so long as quality is maintained.

And there is no reason to assume it is dropping off, given the recent series entries.

Pre

The thing about innovation with Nintendo is that it's mostly up to the third party developers to really take advantage of the potential of the Wii U. They failed to do that with the Wii, but there's plenty of opportunities to rectify that with Wii U if they're willing to put in the effort. Now they have no excuse not to put in the time to ensure that the Wii U version of a game is just as powerful an experience if not more so as on other consoles.

Nintendo does a good job of utilizing their hardware, and I don't think you can complain that they're lacking creativity if you've played games like the Super Mario Galaxy franchise. The Wii over-promised and under-delivered in terms of what we were expecting the controller to actually be capable of doing, but it was still a solid console and Nintendo did a great job with providing some unique and entertaining experiences. Third parties? Not so much.

All I'll say is that I'm baffled as to why people would be unhappy with a new 2D Mario game. NSMBU looked gorgeous, with ghost levels that looked like a Van Gogh brushwork level in the background. Given how fun NSMB Wii was, especially the last level and endgame, I don't know how people could be disappointed in it.

OK, sure, we had two very good 3D Mario games with Galaxy1/2. No arguments there. But like the argument over which Zelda gets on 3DS (Majora, LTTP or a whole new one), my answer to both propositions is a wholehearted yes to any and all of them, so long as quality is maintained.

And there is no reason to assume it is dropping off, given the recent series entries.

NSMBU is to Super Mario World what Sonic 4 is to Sonic The Hedgehog 2. A mediocre product designed to play on your nostalgia in order to make a quick buck. Nintendo and Sega are businesses after all.

Top Bottom