• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

It's an analogy. They are things that are kept secret that you wait a long time for and really really want. Grocery store is a worse analogy because you NEED to eat, grocery stores don't make the products they sell, and there are a ton to choose from. Again, they aren't complaining that we WANT their games. They are complaining that fans are impatient for news. I know I love news and I was disappointed that Nintendo kept everything past early 2013 secret, but I know the games are still coming at the launch lineup itself, considering it has a new 2D Mario game and some other interesting looking games, is pretty good compared to most launch lineups. So I'm pretty ambivalent. It's just... this thread is cuckoo crazy.

Nintendo doesn't make everything they sell either. They're a publisher. And they're a platform holder. And if we want more games, they can fund and publish games to take us through droughts, like they're doing with P-100.

And it's not like we know all the games we want are coming. Is StarFox coming? Is F-Zero? Wave Race? I don't know those are coming. And even more, gamers want stuff that's a surprise. We want something fresh. So when Nintendo shows off Nintendo Land as their one game that was previously unannounced, how should we respond?

I don't need Nintendo to be my mommy and daddy giving out Christmas presents. I have a mommy and daddy. I'm a consumer, and they're a company. Can you imagine Apple complaining that too many people want to keep buying stuff on iTunes?

Stet

Banned
They aren't keeping secrets about launch games. They are keeping games past launch secret. It's pretty much been their MO for the past few years to not reveal most things until they're on the doorstep.

I guarantee they do it for legal reasons and not so it's Christmas morning in the Nintendo household.

RagnarokX

I guarantee they do it for legal reasons and not so it's Christmas morning in the Nintendo household.

They didn't used to do it. They said that revealing games too early created so much hype that the games can never live up to it. Plus in this case they probably were hoping to avoid overshadowing the launch games, though that happened anyway.

Nintendo doesn't make everything they sell either. They're a publisher. And they're a platform holder. And if we want more games, they can fund and publish games to take us through droughts, like they're doing with P-100.

And it's not like we know all the games we want are coming. Is StarFox coming? Is F-Zero? Wave Race? I don't know those are coming. And even more, gamers want stuff that's a surprise. We want something fresh. So when Nintendo shows off Nintendo Land as their one game that was previously unannounced, how should we respond?

I don't need Nintendo to be my mommy and daddy giving out Christmas presents. I have a mommy and daddy. I'm a consumer, and they're a company. Can you imagine Apple complaining that too many people want to keep buying stuff on iTunes?
Come now. We're talking about Nintendo 1st party, since that's what people in this thread really care about. Nintendo can't just buy 3rd party products as easily as a grocery store can. It's much more complex and costly. Plus 3rd party games that aren't ports are even more likely than first party games to be too early in development to show.
You know Mario and Zelda are coming. Metroid and Donkey Kong are good bets. I'd say the franchises chosen for NintendoLand have a good chance of getting new games on WiiU since they can get some casuals to buy them by association. Nintendo has a pretty high output considering their size and the quality of the games they produce. This week they even revealed they are teaming up with Namco to expedite development on 2 Smash Bros games.

Anth0ny

They aren't keeping secrets about launch games. They are keeping games past launch secret. It's pretty much been their MO for the past few years to not reveal most things until they're on the doorstep.

Well, it definitely wasn't the case at E3 2010. Kid Icarus was released almost 2 years after it was revealed. Paper Mario still isn't out.

Hell, it wasn't even the case at E3 2011! They talked about Smash Bros, and we all know that game isn't seeing the light of day until at least 2014.

They also talked about Smash Bros just a few days ago at Nintendo Direct. So I'm not sure exactly what Nintendo is smoking here. No one is expecting them to talk about games 5 years in advance like Versus XIII or something... but would it have been so bad to talk about some 2013 games? Almost the entirety of Microsoft and Sony's press conferences were about 2013 games, and they're still sitting on "last gen" consoles relative to Wii U!

I'm sorry, but unveiling a new console and only talking about launch titles is fucking stupid. No way to defend it. Talk about the holiday season exclusively in 2013. 2014. Not 2012, when the damn thing is being released and you're trying to sell people on the concept. E3 was the time to BLOW THEIR LOAD, and they didn't.

I'm sorry, but unveiling a new console and only talking about launch titles is fucking stupid. No way to defend it. Talk about the holiday season exclusively in 2013. 2014. Not 2012, when the damn thing is being released and you're trying to sell people on the concept. E3 was the time to BLOW THEIR LOAD, and they didn't.

Yeah, I don't understand that move. They're trying to sell people on a new platform, you'd think they would pull out all the stops to show its future library in the best possible light.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they think Mario, Wii Fit, and NintendoLand are enough to sell the Wii U to casuals at launch, so they didn't need to show much beyond that.

Hiltz

Mario Strikers Charged for Wii was a title announced after E3 2006 at the Leipzig Games Convention. The game came out in May 2007 for Europe and July for North America. It's possible that we may hear some news for TBA 2013 Wii U titles at Gamescom held in August. However, Nintendo said in April that it won't be attending the event, but we may possibly hear some third-party announcements. Of course, we'll have a better chance of announcements during Tokyo Game Show.

disap.ed

My guess is that they don't want to take too much wind out of the sails of 3rd party titles, maybe some agreement with the 3rd parties.

Brera

Banned
See, and this is my point. It's not about WiiU sales, it's not about game sales, and it's not about past console sales. It's about Nintendo doing the worst job possible to spread excitement and then to have the audacity to blame the fans.

People are getting on my case and telling me that the console will sell -- fine, whatever, but Reggie seems to think there's a problem, enough so that he considers the fans insatiable. The argument at this point is not THAT there's a problem, it's WHY there's a problem.

Reggie is the same dude who thought Animal Crossing was enough to satisfy hardcore gamers.

If you are not even goin to try, don't even give us the "it's all about the games" bullshit.

Sack this man!

leroidys

I think a big possibility is that games like Metroid, Star Fox, F-zero, even Zelda, are games that are going to be designed to show off the graphical capabilities of the system. They surely didn't want to show these games before they look their best and already have "two-wiis ductaped together" hung around their neck before the generation even starts.

AzaK

Well, it definitely wasn't the case at E3 2010. Kid Icarus was released almost 2 years after it was revealed. Paper Mario still isn't out.

Hell, it wasn't even the case at E3 2011! They talked about Smash Bros, and we all know that game isn't seeing the light of day until at least 2014.

They also talked about Smash Bros just a few days ago at Nintendo Direct. So I'm not sure exactly what Nintendo is smoking here. No one is expecting them to talk about games 5 years in advance like Versus XIII or something... but would it have been so bad to talk about some 2013 games? Almost the entirety of Microsoft and Sony's press conferences were about 2013 games, and they're still sitting on "last gen" consoles relative to Wii U!

It's just pathetic. They have a new console so the idea is to show people that it will be worth owning it in the long run. Show or mention the third party games that are coming 2013 too. If I made my purchasing decision on the launch stuff, I'd get better value buying an old GameCube.

My guess is that they don't want to take too much wind out of the sails of 3rd party titles, maybe some agreement with the 3rd parties.
Then why can't third parties even talk about their stuff. It's beyond reason.

If you are not even goin to try, don't even give us the "it's all about the games" bullshit.
They're just looking like fools. Saying shit like that then delivering the dross they did.

UberTag

This obvious truth is being ignored by many in this topic (and Reggie himself, if he actually believes what he's saying). The gaming community isn't a monolithic entity; some people want new Mario games and others don't.
I used to want new Mario games back when they all didn't start looking and playing the same.

Then again, I'm weird. I don't feel it's worth spending $60/year on a Call of Duty with a new coat of paint either.
Why wouldn't I just play the game I already own a 2nd time? It'll provide the exact same experience and won't cost me a thing. Or better yet... one of the games in my backlog that I haven't played before.

Mr_Moogle

Why do people blame Reggie? He's not the guy making the games or deciding whats being developed. He just gets given a product to sell. Do you really expect him to say "yeah we had a terrible E3".

Nintendo's output has stunk for a while now but that's not Reggie's fault.

AzaK

Reggie is the same dude who thought Animal Crossing was enough to satisfy hardcore gamers.

Sack this man!

Why do people blame Reggie? He's not the guy making the games or deciding whats being developed. He just gets given a product to sell. Do you really expect him to say "yeah we had a terrible E3".

Most of us are up in arms about is comments essentially calling us whingers.

Sack this man!

I've never understood the affection that fils-aime seems to garner around the internet. This is the same guy who when interviewed by Geoff Keeley and asked what Nintendo were doing for the hardcore gamer, would answer with a straight face "we have The Conduit coming." The Conduit ffs!

Then he sits there arguing the toss that Batman Arkham City is basically an all new game. Not a fan of his at all.

edit: and yeah I get that he can only argue for what ever products he is given to talk about. But sometimes he has this grin as though he knows he is trolling us all.

jwhit28

I've never understood the affection that fils-aime seems to garner around the internet. This is the same guy who when interviewed by Geoff Keeley and asked what Nintendo were doing for the hardcore gamer, would answer with a straight face "we have The Conduit coming." The Conduit ffs!

Then he sits there arguing the toss that Batman Arkham City is basically an all new game. Not a fan of his at all.

He's a salesman. I think everyone appreciated how ruthlessly he went about his job.

fixed

at least Mario isn't a freaking shooter.

I mean where is the problem. There were no new 2D mario games for almost 20 years. Finally Nintendo creates new ones. Now we got 2 or 3 of those. And people shit on them? Why?

When I played Super Mario Galaxy, I was like: This is so great, but I need to wait so many years for a new one. Then SMG2 came out, even on the same console. Pitch perfect fun. Best level design. So much originality. Getting bored by that, well, I can't really believe anyone saying that. I guess someone getting bored by SMG1/SMG2 will probably get bored by any game.

The only thing unoriginal in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is its title.

Just wanted to say this post perfectly captures my feelings on the amazing amount of Mario content we've received on the Wii.

GC era: Mario Sunshine. "Sorry, that's it! Hope it's worth waiting another five years. Have fun collecting blue coins and playing Mario Party games in the meantime."

Wii: SMG1 and SMG2, both are amazing games and SMG2 is also special because it was first direct Mario sequel to appear on the same home console running the same engine since SMB the Lost Levels on the Famicom! And about six months before SMG2 we got NSMB Wii, which was a great platformer and I especially appreciated that Miyamoto took criticism of NSMB DS being far too easy to heart, making NSMB Wii much more difficult and paving the way for the Super Guide.

Now in light of that, think back again to the GC days when Matt of IGN asked Miyamoto if we'd ever get a 2D Mario game again and his reply was simply, "Well, if you look at Luigi's Mansion, I suppose you could say that's like a 2D game." So, I'm not dismissing preferences for a new art style (why can't they make a SMB game that looks like Wario Land Shake It?) but we've come a looooong way.

I think a big possibility is that games like Metroid, Star Fox, F-zero, even Zelda, are games that are going to be designed to show off the graphical capabilities of the system. They surely didn't want to show these games before they look their best and already have "two-wiis ductaped together" hung around their neck before the generation even starts.

They're already risking that a bit -- it's not like NSMB U, Pikmin, and NintendoLand are huge graphical showpieces. A short trailer of a Metroid or Zelda (or a nice-looking new IP) would have gone a long way to mitigate the duct tape effect. As it is, there is a lot of doubt about the true power of the system because nothing we've seen really shows it off.

I know Reggie's style is to be obnoxiously overconfident even with mediocre product to work with, but I always appreciate it when a PR guy can say "hey, we could have done better, but we've got a lot more stuff in the works for you to get excited about." Blaming the fans is a terrible PR move that does nothing to win over the people who were disappointed in Nintendo's E3 showing.

I think what Nintendo of America and Reggie Fils-Aimee need to explain, is why the publishing in North America is so dismal and saturated.

If you are a Japanese Nintendo hardware owner, you get a steady stream of games released throughout the year. Not only that, but you get variety. The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, XenoBlade being released in a span of 13 months is proof of that.

But in North America, we get passed over on several of those fantastic games, and sometimes get nothing but a slow leak of Mario themed software. The second-half line up for the 3DS in North America is proof of that. New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion. What about a Wave Race or a Metroid or a Punch Out. Some type of break from the mushroom kingdoom. How do they expect to grow the demographic like that?
Totally agreed. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing being pushed to 2013 seems like a bad strategy, though there are a few other pickups like New Art Academy and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. NOA could definitely be doing more though, like picking up Rocket Slime 2, Freakyforms Deluxe, MH3G or Culdcept.

And while 3DS feels light, Wii is a total wasteland. Pandora's Tower and Fatal Frame DCB should be mandatory releases.

I understand that there will be a 3D Mario game for the Wii U. I understand that they would never in a million years launch a 3D Mario and a 2D Mario for the same system at the same time. I understand that these games take time to develop.

What I am pointing out, is that what was said was the Mario game that launches a system is supposed to SHOW OFF what that system can do. NSMBU does not do that. I am not saying it's a bad game. I am saying it is not the System Launch Mario Title that we are accustomed to and thus looking for. It doesn't show off the system's hardware with incredible HD graphics, it doesn't show off any of the features of the new controller, it's not a fresh innovative direction for the franchise. Those are things that System Launch Mario Titles are supposed to do.

i agree ..mario galaxy worked because it showed what the wii was capable of ..and was ALSO a technical & gameplay showcase ...

NspmbU... not so much ...

At this E3 we needed a megaton ... from nintendo ... Zombie seems cool , but you need more than that ..

i can totally understand the people complaining ... At E3 2006 i was extremly excited after that demo of twilight princess , the fact that it works , seemed fun and was an all out experience .. here i'm at the total opposite position, i lfeel nothing ... i blame nintendo because my gaming excitement metter is on the ground when i think about the wii U

Finalow

"what else"? Like, games? New ones maybe?
but hey, nope, Mario and co plus Nintendo Land. Reggie, are you even trying.

Well, for one, there are many better ways to address criticisms than flatly pointing the finger at the consumer and blaming them for not being satisfied for their own lackluster showing. I've no idea what reaction he expects from that kind of statement. "Oh, gee, he sure told me! Allow me to immediately change my stance to 'fully statisfied'!"?

I think what Nintendo of America and Reggie Fils-Aimee need to explain, is why the publishing in North America is so dismal and saturated.

If you are a Japanese Nintendo hardware owner, you get a steady stream of games released throughout the year. Not only that, but you get variety. The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, XenoBlade being released in a span of 13 months is proof of that.

But in North America, we get passed over on several of those fantastic games, and sometimes get nothing but a slow leak of Mario themed software. The second-half line up for the 3DS in North America is proof of that. New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion. What about a Wave Race or a Metroid or a Punch Out. Some type of break from the mushroom kingdoom. How do they expect to grow the demographic like that?

I feel yah. I expect all those "mushroom kingdom" titles to be high quality, and I get Nintendo's approach to "evergreen" games (get em out as quickly as possible, because the more time they spend on shelves, the more they will sell). However, Nintendo must see some kind of risk in releasing NSMB2 and NSMBU so incredibly close to one another. They risk creating confusion (enough people already mistook NSMBWii for a mere port of the DS game) or, worse yet, brand fatigue.

The first NSMB on DS did so well because it was the first 2D Mario we got in ages. Likewise, for the Wii version, as it was the first 2d console release in ages and the first proper Mario game to feature simultaneous multiplayer. The next two games will provide much platforming goodness, I'm sure, but the hooks seem to be obvious gimmicks (go for the gold/create platforms w/ the Gamepad to help out) and do nothing to evolve the formula in a meaningful way.

When Reggie states that Pikmin 3 should be enough to satiate core Nintendo fans, I get flashbacks to E3 2008 when he said something to the effect of, "How can you say there are no core games? We gave you Animal Crossing!" It's just out of touch w/ the reality that those games have a dedicated following, but hold nowhere near the power of a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, or even Kid Icarus.

jrDev

If I was in Reggie's position I would've seen it the same way. In game design/development, you can NEVER please everyone.

Nintendo of America has become fairly conservative in the last few years in regards to the kinds of titles they choose to publish. Effectively they've chosen to pass on titles that would please the core gamers that do own Wii's. It's gotten to the point where Nintendo of Europe has surpassed Nintendo of America's publishing output, that's kind of dire.

Nintendo of America have passed on numerous titles that Nintendo of Japan developed and/or published: Xenoblade's release was greatly delayed and likely only came out after the prolonged fan campaign, The Last Story is finally coming out thanks to Xseed, whereas Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Another Code R, Pandora's Tower and a few others will likely not be released in North America. What's puzzling about all of this is a number of these games have been localised in English, in North America by Treehouse no less, for Europe. When you combine this fact with the sizable gaps in the Wii's release schedule late in its life, the decision to pass on these games makes even less sense. Nintendo of America has become incredibly risk averse, frequently passing on publishing titles that would please the core audience in North America. Nintendo of America has effectively limited the kinds of games that are published for the system in North America.

Then you look at what Nintendo of America choose to show in their E3 presentations and, more importantly, what they choose to omit, it's no surprise that people are indifferent or upset. I don't understand how Mr. Fils-Aime or anyone at NoA thinks watching someone play Wii Fit with their ass or spending far too much time demo'ing Nintendo Land is supposed to recapture the core. Why do things like omit Project P-100 from the presentation? Why save all of of the information from the latest Nintendo Direct for after E3? Why pass on publishing on publishing the core titles listed above?

Taking a slightly antagonistic stance with your customers and fans isn't the way to go about addressing the problem. Showing off the appropriate games at the appropriate events and actually publishing them will go a lot farther in addressing the problems people have with Nintendo in North America. But I guess just throwing up your hands in the air and saying there's nothing you can do is a whole lot easier and requires significantly less effort.

jimi_dini

i agree ..mario galaxy worked because it showed what the wii was capable of ..and was ALSO a technical & gameplay showcase ...

NspmbU... not so much ...

And then you look at the sales of SMG1/SMG2 and NSMB/Wii and you see that many more people were interested in New-2D mario instead of SMG-3D-mario. Even combined sales of SMG1+SMG2 are beaten by NSMB/Wii. And combining NSMB/DS and NSMB/Wii sales, oh my god. No wonder why they are releasing NSMB-U on release/during release timeframe. They would be stupid not to do that.

I personally prefer Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 (although still love NSMB/Wii, NSMB/DS was nice, but not in the class of SMB1/SMB3 on NES), but go figure.

The problem with this is people are actually expecting new (Nintendo and retail) games to be announced for release now for the period between March and June before E3 and that's just a fantasy. They don't do this with console releases, and only occasionally with handheld ones. Virtually everything gets at least one E3 before being released here.

The problem with this is people are actually expecting new (Nintendo and retail) games to be announced for release now for the period between March and June before E3 and that's just a fantasy. They don't do this with console releases, and only occasionally with handheld ones. Virtually everything gets at least one E3 before being released here.
Not really anymore. This year Apr-June releases like Spirit Camera, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Tennis Open, Pokémon Conquest and Pikmin 2 didn't get E3 showings the previous year.

In Q2 2013 we're definitely going to see 1st party 3DS and Wii U games that weren't at E3. Everything that was will release before that unless delayed. All the 3DS stuff will release before 2012's done even.

Well then there gonna have to live with the consequences of that decision if fans are outraged and wii u sales suffer in the beginning then. Nintendo can't have there cake and eat it too.

Degen

Not sure how this guy has fans anywhere outside of his own corporate office

he comes off as a glorified PR guy

IrishNinja

Not sure how this guy has fans anywhere outside of his own corporate office

he comes off as a glorified PR guy

correct me if im wrong, but i always figured that was a big part of his job?
i mean, people are calling for him to be fired here, and inevitably replaced with another company man that will lie to you

bumpkin

You know, on one hand, I do feel for Reggie and Nintendo. All of the examples he gave were valid and echo sentiments I've heard or even expressed myself. On the other hand though, when you keep secrets the way Nintendo does -- which is hard as hell in this day and age -- you need to bring it when you finally spill the beans. They didn't do that at E3. What they presented at their presser bordered on embarrassing. It's sad when their own mini-event (Nintendo Direct) blows their E3 presser out of the water as far as bringing the goods.

Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Kid Icarus / Sin & Punishment crossover
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
Steam Support on the Wii U
Mother Trilogy on the 3DS
...and more

And the Nintendo fans would still ask for more. Nintendo fans ALWAYS want more. There's no getting around that.

Tetsuo9

Sometimes I feel that the real tech that makes a console profitable and it's software is what the Wii U has.

The new xbox and playstation software will surely need millions of copies to break even, and without the installed base, it will be a really complicated scenario again. I hope Nintendo can capitalize that and sell a lot of consoles before it ends up like the Wii.

Reggie, Reggie, Reggie.

You want to satisfy fans? Have at least 3 or 4 good games released every month. 1st party, 3rd party, whatever. Keep gamers playing. They don't have to be big, expensive, "AAA" releases. Create some *good* cheaper original content on the WiiWare that appeals to the Nintendo hardcore. Get Konami/Square/Capcom/whoever to make some throwback games like they were doing in the beginning. Oh, and advertise it.

It aught to be a sign that you have usually Nintendo-only gamers picking up a 360/PS3 because the Wii isn't providing enough content to keep them satisfied.

I won't say that Nintendo themselves didn't deliver the goods when it came to quality 1st party titles, but that just isn't enough. The best Nintendo consoles of the past never had droughts of games to play because 3rd parties were there to pick up the slack. That should be a lesson learned for them going forward with the WiiU, but I have my doubts.

Pociask

Reggie could announce:

New Zelda
New Star Fox
Super Metroid 2
Pikmin 3
Kid Icarus / Sin & Punishment crossover
Smash Bros 4 vs Capcom
Super Mario Universe
Pokemon MMO
Perfect Dark Wii U
ZombiU 2
Half Life 3 Wii U
Steam Support on the Wii U
Mother Trilogy on the 3DS
...and more

And the Nintendo fans would still ask for more. Nintendo fans ALWAYS want more. There's no getting around that.

Balony. Nintendo fans can be put in two groups.
  1. Multi-console owners, get the Nintendo console for the big Nintendo releases. Very common on GAF, not the typical consumer. They want the big Nintendo release to justify a new Nintendo machine.
  2. Single console owners. They like Nintendo games, so they buy Nintendo machines. But they've seen their friends with other consoles get tons of content this last generation that they couldn't play on the Wii. They've also experienced Wii software droughts, and want to see that there's going to be consistent production from Nintendo.

Nintendo didn't address the concerns of either one of these groups of people. When your big Nintendo release is Pikmin 3, a game that should have been released on the Wii, you're going to get Pikmin fans, but not the people that buy machines for the next big Mario or Zelda. Those folks have also already played NSMBW - NSMBU clearly hasn't excited a broad base of these gamers. And what about the software droughts and third-party situation? NOTHING. Not a single one of the big, new third party releases that are being shown on older, soon to be last-gen hardware was shown on the Wii U at the last E3 before the launch of the Wii U. Reggie should have been going with bags of Wii Sports money to every major and minor publishers door for the last two years, and begged for Western games on his new console. Instead, his strategy apparently is to tell the publishers how much Nintendo games will move hardware, and then naturally the publishers will out of the goodness of their hearts and keen business minds start developing for the Wii U. Because that worked SO WELL for the Wii.

Obviously some people are happy to hug their gleaming new Nintendo hardware, maybe tuck it in with them at night and cuddle up, and dream happy dreams about the Nintendo software they just know is coming. Everyone else who has owned a Nintendo console for the last decade expects them to put up or shut up.

Balony. Nintendo fans can be put in two groups.
  1. Multi-console owners, get the Nintendo console for the big Nintendo releases. Very common on GAF, not the typical consumer. They want the big Nintendo release to justify a new Nintendo machine.
  2. Single console owners. They like Nintendo games, so they buy Nintendo machines. But they've seen their friends with other consoles get tons of content this last generation that they couldn't play on the Wii. They've also experienced Wii software droughts, and want to see that there's going to be consistent production from Nintendo.
Where would you put me? I consider me neither one of those. More of a mixture of both, but not really.

I'm a Nintendo fan and supporter and buy all of their consoles and handhelds, but I also buy every new PlayStation and Xbox (although not nevessarily at launch).
I buy these not only because of collection purposes.

I don't buy Nintendo consoles solely because of Nintendo software, either.
Not that the next Zelda, Mario, Kirby or Smash Bros. won't be important to me (they really are), but they're not the only (or even the first) reason I buy that console. If there's only the slightest chance that *3rd party IP which I like* comes to a Nintendo console, I will probably but it for that Nintendo console.
That's my plan for Wii U and it will start with Assassin's Creed 3 and probably Mass Effect 3, although I bought the first two installments of AC for 360 and Brotherhood for PS3 (and will probably buy Revelations for 360 again), and bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 for Steam (although I bought them for 360 first, then sold them once I bought the Steam versions).

What I'm trying to say is: There aren't only two kinds of Nintendo fans. There are SEVERAL kinds of them. Same for Sony and Microsoft fans/supporters.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Nintendo acts like they live , think and operate in a vacume , I think this upcoming gen is going to be a serous wake-up call for them.

edit: and yeah I get that he can only argue for what ever products he is given to talk about. But sometimes he has this grin as though he knows he is trolling us all.

He's pompous. I don't like it.

jrDev

Also, I agree with Nintendo's stance with not showing much games until they are ATLEAST 6 months from release...I remember when Xenoblade was announced back in 2006...when did we get the game again? Look at The Last Guardian and FFVersus, that is ridiculous.

Nekki

I don't get it, why are people hating on a new 2D Mario?? Calling it not a true Mario game. The series started as a 2D sidescroller and has been its most popular as that. Also they're damn fun D:

Who cares if it's not a showcase for the new controller? Other games can do that (Nintendo Land, ZombiU).

Penguin

Reggie's too pompous.. the company is arrogant.
Moffitt is too timid.. the company has no confidence in their product.

Nintendo is a very bi-polar company apparently.

Also, I agree with Nintendo's stance with not showing much games until they are ATLEAST 6 months from release...I remember when Xenoblade was announced back in 2006...when did we get the game again? Look at The Last Guardian and FFVersus, that is ridiculous.

I don't believe Xenoblade was announced in 06?

Miles X

Reggie's too pompous.. the company is arrogant.
Moffitt is too timid.. the company has no confidence in their product.

Nintendo is a very bi-polar company apparently.

I don't believe Xenoblade was announced in 06?

Moffit timid? more like deluded, as is Reggie.

Top Bottom