• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie expects Wii U’s killer app to be social networking

Looks like it. Fourth button from the top in the feed.

seems like a fully featured Social Network the only killer would be not being instant.

So I hope that IM is Instant to your friends like a Private chat. Public post would be delayed but private chats would go real time?

we will have to see how it all works out but for now this is one of the best things about the WiiU to me.

4Cof0.jpg

But this is in real time? I saw this and thought it was like demons souls. Ditto with zombi u

ACIII doesn't use Miiverse, whatever that means.

a game does not have to code for Miiverse to hit home and chat about that game on Miiverse. The icon for the game will be on the plaza surrounded by lots of Miis you can click and post about it click again get back to your action. I am not sure if Ubisoft would just want to code block that feature when it is built into the OS level

Pyrrhus

How great is this really going to be with the 30-minutes-to-an-hour vetting process Nintendo is going to have to put each message through?

GDGF

Soothsayer
How great is this really going to be with the 30-minutes-to-an-hour vetting process Nintendo is going to have to put each message through?

There is no 30 minutes to an hour vetting process for normal posting. Only if you are flagged by your community multiple times for being a jackass will your posts be vetted. And then you deserved it.

The 360 has done this and lost focus on games lately. Nintendo needs to just do games, and do them well. If i want all the online stuff ill just go to my 360. Going all out with online doesnt appeal to me whatsoever.

Ill be skipping the wii-u altogether, or just be a end cylcle adopter. Like the original wii.

When #Miiverse is trending on twitter within the first 72 hours Ill laugh at all of you. This thing is gonna be big.

Yeah becasue Twitter trends indicate a good console right? Dont forget that the wii was a mainstream focus too. That fell flat on its face.

Never been happier i kept my 64+Cube.

Pyrrhus

There is no 30 minutes to an hour vetting process for normal posting. Only if you are flagged by your community multiple times for being a jackass will your posts be vetted. And then you deserved it.

That seems reasonable, then.

see5harp

a game does not have to code for Miiverse to hit home and chat about that game on Miiverse. The icon for the game will be on the plaza surrounded by lots of Miis you can click and post about it click again get back to your action. I am not sure if Ubisoft would just want to code block that feature when it is built into the OS level

Yea okay so this is essentially community for random people talking about a game. Are invites, challenges to friends, and messages in miiverse as well?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

If true I must say I like that feature I like it a lot.

ZombiU's writing message on wall have been mentioned here as a Miiverse feature. Has Ubisoft said this?

I was thinking this is a feature in the game code / if that is Miiverse they changed your ability to use text or draw because they only give you a series of survival/zombie related icons to make up a coded message. I am sure it uses Miiverse in someways but that posting messages on walls in game seems to be something else entirely.

AzaK

Not when there a mandatory approval time spanning weeks for those posts. Displays a fundamental lack of understanding of what makes a social network tick.

DOA unless that changes.
There is no delay. We've known that for months.

Mardak

I'm confused... why would anyone post to Miiverse for help with a game waste time waiting for responses rather than taking 2 seconds to google it or go to gamefaqs?
Not everyone is urgently waiting for a response and not everyone knows about gamefaqs (or wants to turn on the computer, load gamefaqs, search for the game, pick a walkthrough/guide, find where they are in the game, do a comparison/second opinion, etc.).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be happy to get stuck, post a question, and move on. Where move on might be stop playing games for the day, switch to watching tv, play a different game. Or some games like Mario allows the player to skip the level (p-wing), but the player probably is still interested in learning how to beat it or find the secrets.

For each of those options of "move on," potentially the player never comes back, but Miiverse actually gives something for the person to look forward to and to make progress in the game.

Again like the p-wing or invincibility in Mario to assist the player, Nintendo is providing ways to help the player stay engaged instead of giving up forever. More people playing games for longer times is a good thing in Nintendo's eyes.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wasn't even aware that Miiverse was the standard messaging system so that's how much in the loop I am. If they get third parties to use miiverse for the invite system, then that's awesome and is already better than what Sony has offered with Vita.

I don't play a lot of games online but isn't it always better to have the invite menu right there in the actual game you're playing? That's how I've always seen it used and I liked it that way.

seems like a fully featured Social Network the only killer would be not being instant.

So I hope that IM is Instant to your friends like a Private chat. Public post would be delayed but private chats would go real time?

we will have to see how it all works out but for now this is one of the best things about the WiiU to me.

Why would it not be instant?!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not everyone is urgently waiting for a response and not everyone knows about gamefaqs (or wants to turn on the computer, load gamefaqs, search for the game, pick a walkthrough/guide, find where they are in the game, do a comparison/second opinion, etc.).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be happy to get stuck, post a question, and move on. Where move on might be stop playing games for the day, switch to watching tv, play a different game. Or some games like Mario allows the player to skip the level (p-wing), but the player probably is still interested in learning how to beat it or find the secrets.

For each of those options of "move on," potentially the player never comes back, but Miiverse actually gives something for the person to look forward to and to make progress in the game.

Again like the p-wing or invincibility in Mario to assist the player, Nintendo is providing ways to help the player stay engaged instead of giving up forever. More people playing games for longer times is a good thing in Nintendo's eyes.

There's also the fact there's nothing stopping them from doing that stuff (e.g gamefaqs and good) on the wii u itself. Probably be easier too given the touch screen.

ACIII doesn't use Miiverse, whatever that means.

It means it's a port that didn't take advantage of it...but if you're saying someone playing AC3 won't be able to access Miiverse? I don't think that's true. It's OS level. You'll always be able to pause a game to use it

If true I must say I like that feature I like it a lot.

If? Reggie answered this EXACT question a while back. It IS true

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is a common misunderstanding of an old E3 interview. All posts will be sent through a "bad word" filter, but there is no wait. after your message has been posted, it can be flagged (similar to YouTube), and then moderators while check those posts and delete them if need be.
My bad. That sounds much better.

That was the last time I paid attention to Miiverse, I thought it couldn't get worse after that. Granted it barely made sense, but I didn't how that could even be misconstrued through translation.

Yea okay so this is essentially community for random people talking about a game. Are invites, challenges to friends, and messages in miiverse as well?

these are just per-game features it would be up to the publisher to code for Miiverse in game all of those things you are asking could just be coded for a game. Not ever game will use Miiverse the same it seems from demos.

the example I gave you was for when a publisher decides not to code at all for Miiverse you will still have a community right there for you.

Tom_Cody

Reggie said:
“we’ll be leveraging technology, the community and our own reviewers to determine what’s appropriate for the masses. What Miiverse is doing is quite different from anything else that’s being done, especially with the ability to hand draw messages and things of that nature.”
And 10 million penises were drawn.

AzaK

I wonder if in game notification of things like friends coming online will be OS controlled or if debs would have to handle it themselves? I really hope the former. It'd suck if some games told you and some didn't.

I don't play a lot of games online but isn't it always better to have the invite menu right there in the actual game you're playing? That's how I've always seen it used and I liked it that way.

Why would it not be instant?!

well I guess it is, since the guys here just reminded me of Reggie's old answer to this question.

Things can change though. Nintendo is not like Microsoft. One incident going viral in the media could make them change policy. Bullying etc...

well I guess it is, since the guys here just reminded me of Reggie's old answer to this question.

Things can change though. Nintendo is not like Microsoft. One incident going viral in the media could make them change policy. Bullying etc...

But they already have moderators...

Yeah becasue Twitter trends indicate a good console right? Dont forget that the wii was a mainstream focus too. That fell flat on its face.

Never been happier i kept my 64+Cube.

I wasn't aware the Wii had been surpassed as the top selling console this gen.

Mudkips

Banned
So how close to launch do we get before they debut the online service?

2 weeks before launch we'll learn that it's not account-based. We'll have a single friend code for the system and digital purchases will still be tied to the system. There's no systemwide achievements support, but you can totally roll your own, devs, and maybe have a notification pop up. And it's all coming in a firmware update to be made available soon after launch. Next year we'll get the firmware update that allows games to be patched.

Basically I have no hope for Nintendo to get online right.

RedSwirl

Twitter and Facebook are on multiple different devices including smartphones. MiiVerse is exclusive to WiiU. I'm not saying Miiverse is going to be a killer app, but Facebook and Twitter being offered on the Vita (or in fact anything) sure as hell isn't.

People using and enjoying something does not equal a killer app. Nobody in their right mind bought, or iss going to buy, a Vita just to run Facebook and Twitter. That's like saying Netflix is a killer app for the 3DS.

No, but people do buy Xbox 360's and continue to buy games on 360 in order to stay plugged into Xbox Live. Live has pretty much been the 360's main killer app this generation. PSN's inferiority to Live is the main grievance people bring against the PS3, even though it has almost all the same games now.

If Nintendo can make it a compelling experience to play games with MiiVerse attached, it could attract an audience.

No, but people do buy Xbox 360's and continue to buy games on 360 in order to stay plugged into Xbox Live. Live has pretty much been the 360's main killer app this generation. PSN's inferiority to Live is the main grievance people bring against the PS3, even though it has almost all the same games now.

If Nintendo can make it a compelling experience to play games with MiiVerse attached, it could attract an audience.
Exactly like I stated in the Wii U thread facebook and twitter have huge audiences at that almost everyone has one or the other. Miiverse is its own thing but just like those 2 you can easily upload a picture to miiverse and at the same time that one picture can also be sent to fb or twitter at the same time. 2K13 was just trending on twitter a few days ago, with the Miiverse option to take screen grabs of games and upload them online that trend could of been alot more intensified. People playing the game uploading screen grabs of cool or funny in game happenings and what not. I dont have a twitter but for miiverse I may open one. Most likely day one I will probably do something like take a picture of the wii U with the gamepad and post it to Miiverse, fb, and twitter just to see how it works.

Although im strictly talking about my circle of friends of course,

The wii is too "kiddy" in its product image. I dont see the mainstream getting wii fever like they did first time around. I mean the wii was massive. People who dont game were buying wiis left right and centre.

Same thing that happened to Guitar hero/Rock band will happen to wii. Its life cycle is over. The mainstream wont go wii crazy this holiday period as its not as unique a product as the wii was initially.

Nintendo wont be able to capture that market segment, they just wont. Wheres Guitar hero and Rock Band now? Exactly.

Meanwhile the core gamers have adopted the PS3/360. I know none of my friends or people i go to college with are going to pick up a wii u. Its just too kiddy. Dont get me wrong we occasionally run some smash bros and Mario Kart etc.

But that alone isnt enough to sell a system.

The Wii-U is banking on recapturing that mainstream non gamer market, I just dont see lightning striking twice.

Razek

Banned
You know what would happen if you posted a photo of a penis on GAF? Notice how we rarely see photos of penises on GAF...?

And that's what they said about COD when they added the emblem editor. That game may as well be rated AO.

Amir0x

Banned
Worst thing about the system, tethering this social networking to Mii's. force even more time to look at those grotesque avatars

mdtauk

Nintendo's social network ambitions will be doomed to failure if they do not embrace, and integrate Facebook, Twitter, and the existing social networks into MiiVerse.

see5harp

In my opinion it's easier, quicker, and more consistant for every single game on the platform to use the same system. If they want to implement some sort of in game menu to quickly access that system that's another thing.

Amir0x

Banned
wasn't there like a thing in one of their videos where they were flicking through twitter on the controller?

Mondriaan

Nintendo's social network ambitions will be doomed to failure if they do not embrace, and integrate Facebook, Twitter, and the existing social networks into MiiVerse.
This is pretty much asking Nintendo to play nice with third parties in territory where Nintendo wants to stake a claim. Not going to happen.

Well that and assuming everyone is a 7 year old child or a 62 year old pedophile. Yes Nintendo, there are other age groups that play your systems online.

Top Bottom