• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie expects Wii U’s killer app to be social networking

The 360 has done this and lost focus on games lately. Nintendo needs to just do games, and do them well. If i want all the online stuff ill just go to my 360. Going all out with online doesnt appeal to me whatsoever.

Ill be skipping the wii-u altogether, or just be a end cylcle adopter. Like the original wii.

Yeah becasue Twitter trends indicate a good console right? Dont forget that the wii was a mainstream focus too. That fell flat on its face.

Never been happier i kept my 64+Cube.

Dude are you really complaining about this:

4Cof0.jpg

Seriously, this is some interactive funness. Yes, I said it and don't care if it's not a word

When people call things "apps" that are basically just programs or features or tools, its like tiger claws screeching across the most dry dusty old chalkboard on the planet to my soul. Also, when people call games "offerings"... thats like pouring acid on me.

Im interested in Miiverse, not so much because i care about participating in all of its features, but because i just want to see what theyve come up with.

The Twitter integration is for Nintendo TVii only. At E3 they explicitly said they want to keep Miiverse separate from the other stuff.

He even says that "depending on your options, you can share to FB, twitter or even miiverse", so yeah it's TVii only I guess :(

majik13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnY-wpMbIv0&sns=em

Watch the nintendo tvii demo at 8 mins.

Im telling you guys nintendo is on to something here. They will be getting a whole new audience with this.

just fyi you can post youtube links that start at the time you want. right click on video "copy video url at current time" I always find it better, than excepting people to actually go find the content themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RnY-wpMbIv0#t=478s

best used on vids w/o advertisements though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a2jUETDPrbo#t=479s

GDGF

Soothsayer
The Twitter integration is for Nintendo TVii only. At E3 they explicitly said they want to keep Miiverse separate from the other stuff.

Well, they said they don't want game notifications from Miiverse showing up on your twitter or Facebook feed (and for that I am thankful) but Facebook and Twitter are a button press away. With a suspend mode (with a game running in the background) pretty much all social networking sites are a button press away, including Neogaf.

Its part of Nintendo TVii but what would be the point of uploading it to Miiverse too? Some people may not use Nintendo TVii but I dont think its a stretch to say they will have the same kind of options as those who do in terms of what you can post and where. I really dont think its strictly to Nintendo TVii at all.

just fyi you can post youtube links that start at the time you want. right click on video "copy video url at current time" I always find it better, than excepting people to actually go find the content themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RnY-wpMbIv0#t=478s

best used on vids w/o advertisements though.
Heh im on mobile it would be a pain to do all that.

Well, they said they don't want game notifications from Miiverse showing up on your twitter or Facebook feed (and for that I am thankful) but Facebook and Twitter are a button press away. With a suspend mode (with a game running in the background) pretty much all social networking sites are a button press away, including Neogaf.
Exactly I dont see why wouldnt they include it. You can post it FB and stuff but someones random fb status/pictures will not show on your miiverse.

Izick

Alright, Nintendo fans, here's my question: 3DS XL or Wii U? I never had a DS or 3DS before, so I was thinking of picking up an XL, but I'm also intrigued by the Wii U...what say you?

Wii U. 3DS is cool and has some good games for sure but it's just a better DS. The Wii U is gonna have HD Nintendo games. HD Nintendo games son.

D-e-f-

Banned
Alright, Nintendo fans, here's my question: 3DS XL or Wii U? I never had a DS or 3DS before, so I was thinking of picking up an XL, but I'm also intrigued by the Wii U...what say you?

At this point you can wait to buy a 3DS XL a while longer and get right into it from the get-go with Wii U.

Nintendo's social network ambitions will be doomed to failure if they do not embrace, and integrate Facebook, Twitter, and the existing social networks into MiiVerse.

Not really. People use message boards who don't use FB so why would this be any different? Not to mention I see VERY VERY few specific game related messages on FB (aside from people announcing that they bought a game or had an awesome session). I assume it's the same for most people too

That's a good point....but the 3DS seems pretty dope. Do you have a 3DS?

Got one at launch. Traded it in for a XL a couple weeks ago, love the thing (SM3DL is probably my favorite Mario ever, OoT3D is a fantastic remake, Kid Icarus is f'in nuts, and 999 sequel out this fall and AA5 coming next year? Dope) but like I said, Wii U strikes me as a real paradigm shift whereas the 3DS is simply yet another solid Nintendo handheld.

Pyrrhus

When people call things "apps" that are basically just programs or features or tools, its like tiger claws screeching across the most dry dusty old chalkboard on the planet to my soul. Also, when people call games "offerings"... thats like pouring acid on me.

And it's like they're gelding your astral projection with a melon baller when they talk about a series of games as an "intellectual property" or brand, right?

Teletraan1

Banned
I can do social networking on any device in my home. Maybe they should get moving on making a real killer app (HD Zelda, Metroid, SSB) to spark my interest in this console.

Izick

Got one at launch. Traded it in for a XL a couple weeks ago, love the thing (SM3DL is probably my favorite Mario ever, OoT3D is a fantastic remake, Kid Icarus is f'in nuts, and 999 sequel out this fall and AA5 coming next year? Dope) but like I said, Wii U strikes me as a real paradigm shift whereas the 3DS is simply yet another solid Nintendo handheld.

My worry is, okay, I get the thing, I love ZombiU, NSMB Wii U, and a few other titles, but then the thing is basically a paperweight until it hits its stride again in say March or November or something, where as the 3DS is a safe bet.

onipex

Considering social networking is decidedly moving to handheld devices, why would any one buy a Wii U to network on the TV?

It won't just be on the TV. At E3 they said you will be able to connect to Miiverse through mobile devices too.

Now if you can't connect to this through 3DS or at least the next 3DS redesign that will be pretty stupid.

My worry is, okay, I get the thing, I love ZombiU, NSMB Wii U, and a few other titles, but then the thing is basically a paperweight until it hits its stride again in say March or November or something, where as the 3DS is a safe bet.

Flip side of that argument is that we could be looking at another Wii scenario where if you don't get it at launch you won't be able to find the thing for six months. Then again, six months might just be the amount of time it takes for enough good titles to come out to make the system attractive enough for you. Can't go wrong either way, 3DS is awesome. Correction: the 3DS XL is awesome.

I'd say 3DS XL. It has a pretty good library by now, doesn't it?

I don't see the issue here. It's not like there aren't going to be games you want next year and in the mean time you can go back and play the launch games if you want. Either way there probably isn't going to be a price drop before a game you really want to play hits so you might as well get it now.

mdtauk

Just imagine being able to tweet out a high score, or beating a certain level/boss/temple. Not automatically, but a twitter or facebook button you can press to do it.

And then imagine being able to upload a video clip to YouTube of you having an epic death moment, or pulling off a crazy move/stunt. Tap a button, and the WiiU handles it in the background as you go on playing your game.

Send out invitations to play games, or join a group activity.

And all of this showing up on Twitter, will get word of Miiverse, and Wii U out there to a broader audience. What about even having a Hashtag associated with each game to build a buzz.

The messages tweeted out would be set by the game/app so could go out from Miiverse, without check and flagging.

I can do social networking on any device in my home. Maybe they should get moving on making a real killer app (HD Zelda, Metroid, SSB) to spark my interest in this console.

This.

Great. I get a Twitter-like service plastered all over the NSMBWU world map. Call me old fashioned but my killer apps actually consist of games.

The Boat

You're crazy, they'll never do that, from now on it's all social networking baby!

Just imagine being able to tweet out a high score, or beating a certain level/boss/temple. Not automatically, but a twitter or facebook button you can press to do it.

And then imagine being able to upload a video clip to YouTube of you having an epic death moment, or pulling off a crazy move/stunt. Tap a button, and the WiiU handles it in the background as you go on playing your game.

Send out invitations to play games, or join a group activity.

And all of this showing up on Twitter, will get word of Miiverse, and Wii U out there to a broader audience. What about even having a Hashtag associated with each game to build a buzz.

The messages tweeted out would be set by the game/app so could go out from Miiverse, without check and flagging.
This is exactly what im thinking. The potential for it is incredible.

test_account

XP-39C²
I see the Miiverse videos posted eariler (i saw them back in June as well), but it is still not clear to me exactly how this works. Is is more like a Twitter like thing or is it "locked" to specific missions in the game? In the Mario picture posted earlier, i see that one guy high on the map talking about a Yoshi. What if you havnt gotten that far in the game yet? How do they avoid spoilers?

Honestly both but I would start out with either the 3DS or the Wii U(I say ultimately go for the 3DS now and get started if you have the money). I know this is could be seen as a cop-out to your question but hear me out. They are going to be the best combo Nintendo has ever had. It's like everything they hoped to do with GBA and Gamecube earlier finally coming to fruition.

If you are a Monster Hunter, Pocket Monster or Super Smash Bros. fan at all you will definitely want to get both. Starting with Monster Hunter, Nintendo is setting the two systems up to interact and even play together. It will allow you to continue your file on 3DS and even link together in the same room and play together.

Now for Pocket Monsters its been hinted this is happening too. There is an app available for the 3DS called Pokedex 3D which foreshadows what the new Pocket Monster games are going to look like. It shows wonderfully done 3D animated models that really look great and full of a lot of charm and life. One of the lead creators hinted that they are going to connect Pocket Monsters 3DS with the Wii U in a big way. Its basically going to be the ultimate version of connecting between the mainline game and a Stadium version that Nintendo has been trying to achieve since the beginning of the series with the N64. I think it's going to be a seamlessly interactive experience between the two systems and make for the best Pocket Monsters experience there's been yet.

With Super Smash Bros. its not clear yet how they are going to interact exactly. All the team has said so far is that expect it on the 3DS to feel like you are "in the dojo" and on the Wii U it will feel like you are "in the stadium". This is an exciting prospect for me as a big fan of the Smash series. The director also stressed he really doesn't want to just make "another entry with more stages and more characters", he really wants this to be the next evolutionary step for the franchise. I can't wait to get more on this and with the team from Tekken(hot off their really fun looking Tekken Tag 2) teaming up to do the project all signs point to a very great accomplishment.

So really the future of both systems and being a joint owner looks to be great. Who knows who else might get in on this action too. I think Capcom could possibly be working on another 3DS/Wii U project outside of Monster Hunter or maybe other third parties as well.

Are we still not working under the impression that SSB3DS and SSBWiiU will be two separate, full fledged games that will interact with one another?

Anustart

As long as i don't get messages in Super Mario U saying that my aunt wants me to play lucky slots, bring on the miiverse.

Izick

Honestly both but I would start out with either the 3DS or the Wii U(I say ultimately go for the 3DS now and get started if you have the money). I know this is could be seen as a cop-out to your question but hear me out. They are going to be the best combo Nintendo has ever had. It's like everything they hoped to do with GBA and Gamecube earlier finally coming to fruition.

If you are a Monster Hunter, Pocket Monster or Super Smash Bros. fan at all you will definitely want to get both. Starting with Monster Hunter, Nintendo is setting the two systems up to interact and even play together. It will allow you to continue your file on 3DS and even link together in the same room and play together.

Now for Pocket Monsters its been hinted this is happening too. There is an app available for the 3DS called Pokedex 3D which foreshadows what the new Pocket Monster games are going to look like. It shows wonderfully done 3D animated models that really look great and full of a lot of charm and life. One of the lead creators hinted that they are going to connect Pocket Monsters 3DS with the Wii U in a big way. Its basically going to be the ultimate version of connecting between the mainline game and a Stadium version that Nintendo has been trying to achieve since the beginning of the series with the N64. I think it's going to be a seamlessly interactive experience between the two systems and make for the best Pocket Monsters experience there's been yet.

With Super Smash Bros. its not clear yet how they are going to interact exactly. All the team has said so far is that expect it on the 3DS to feel like you are "in the dojo" and on the Wii U it will feel like you are "in the stadium". This is an exciting prospect for me as a big fan of the Smash series. The director also stressed he really doesn't want to just make "another entry with more stages and more characters", he really wants this to be the next evolutionary step for the franchise. I can't wait to get more on this and with the team from Tekken(hot off their really great looking Tekken Tag 2) teaming up to do the project all signs point to a very great accomplishment.

So really the future of both systems and being a joint owner looks to be great. Who knows who else might get in on this action too. I think Capcom could possibly be working on another 3DS/Wii U project outside of Monster Hunter or maybe other third parties as well.

I'm actually borrowing a friends DS and playing Pokeman Black right now and it's pretty awesome. Is there any rumors for a Wii U game yet? (Also the shit you're saying sounds pretty awesome.)

RedSwirl

Exactly like I stated in the Wii U thread facebook and twitter have huge audiences at that almost everyone has one or the other. Miiverse is its own thing but just like those 2 you can easily upload a picture to miiverse and at the same time that one picture can also be sent to fb or twitter at the same time. 2K13 was just trending on twitter a few days ago, with the Miiverse option to take screen grabs of games and upload them online that trend could of been alot more intensified. People playing the game uploading screen grabs of cool or funny in game happenings and what not. I dont have a twitter but for miiverse I may open one. Most likely day one I will probably do something like take a picture of the wii U with the gamepad and post it to Miiverse, fb, and twitter just to see how it works.

Have they already confirmed you can take and upload screenshots on the Wii U?

D-e-f-

Banned
I see the Miiverse videos posted eariler (i saw them back in June as well), but it is still not clear to me exactly how this works. Is is more like a Twitter like thing or is it "locked" to specific missions in the game? In the Mario picture posted earlier, i see that one guy high on the map talking about a Yoshi. What if you havnt gotten that far in the game yet? How do they avoid spoilers?

They said they were aware that spoilers may be an issue and that they're working on something to prevent that from fucking a game up.

How Miiverse will be used depends on the game. So far that NSMBU world map is the only example we've seen.

Have they already confirmed you can take and upload screenshots on the Wii U?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42268300&postcount=203

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

RagnarokX

You can spoiler tag your posts and flag others.

test_account

XP-39C²
They said they were aware that spoilers may be an issue and that they're working on something to prevent that from fucking a game up.

How Miiverse will be used depends on the game. So far that NSMBU world map is the only example we've seen.
That is good, but that means that we still dont know too much about how Miiverse will work in detail. The Mario example shows spoilers, at least if you get to see these messages when you start the game at level 1-1 for the first time.

You can spoiler tag your posts and flag others.
That is also good, but to flag something, it can already be too late (you've already read the spoiler then). And it also rely on that other people must use the spoilertags, which everyone wont do.

Top Bottom