• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

Nerazar

March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

You know that there is more than just one developer (Nintendo) involved in creating software for this device, right?

LordKano

MK8 is a full price port of a Wii U title, which is ludicrous. ARMs looks terrible. Splatoon is a full price semi-sequel to a budget title which was free to play online.

I doubt FE will be out before Mario.

Splatoon 2 is a full sequel to a game which was already full price (and well worthy of its price). Please do not talk about games you don't know.

Arms looks very good too.

Lol nintendo. They literally say the exact same pr spin every gen andnothing ever changes.

March - zelda
April - a port of a game people have already played to death on wii u
Summer/fall - another port of a played to death wii u game
Xmas - mario

And some crap throw away titles like 1 2 switch and arms in between. Yep content for daaaays

rnaud

Drought != I don't like the games that are coming out.

Some people need to stop reaching for the first buzz word they can find :/

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
3 Wii U ports??? Splatoon 2 is an original game and Zelda is a cross gen game.

From what I have read, Splatoon does not appear to be a full sequel and is instead an enhanced port of the original. Zelda was developed for the Wii-U, you can call it whatever you want, but it's still a Wii-U port.

You know that there is more than just one developer (Nintendo) involved in creating software for this device, right?

Nintendo doesn't have a great track record with 3rd parties, and the reveal did nothing to suggest that anything has changed.

Emitan

MK8 is a full price port of a Wii U title, which is ludicrous. ARMs looks terrible. Splatoon is a full price semi-sequel to a budget title which was free to play online.

MK8 is a game a ton of people havent played because it was on a failure of a system. WTF is a semi-sequel? And Splatoon was full price.

Do people really think this has a strong first year line-up? It's most high profile games are:

Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Kart
Skyrim
Mario Odyssey

Zelda and Mario look great but 3 Wii-U ports, a 6 year old multiplat and a new Mario is hardly the stuff of legend.

If it were any other console, yes. Those consoles are filled with multiplats to play in between game releases. It's lacking for sure though.

I've seen so many console launches that I just can't call the Switch's that bad. Its just plain Mediocre, but not bad.

There's just been way worst console launches.

ckaneo

The Wii U game release schedule was just ONE of the many reasons it failed.

I wonder if the Vita game cards can get stuck inside the Switch if inserted...
Yeah Nintendo doesn't seemed to have learned their lesson.

WII U failures
Price
Marketing
Useless Technology
Lack of third part support
Lack of first party support
Hard to code for

Throw in stuff like online failures and power, and I'm not sure how much they actually fixed.

Somnid

Hit those dates Nintendo, for your sake. I won't endorse it, but patches are preferred to slippage, at least until you get momentum going.

Shit, I thought ARMS was a launch title. Ship sunk

This is the most disrespectful description of Splatoon I've ever seen lol

We have a pretty healthy lineup of stuff from March until E3.

That lineup doesn't include holiday blockbusters because it's launching in fucking March. But it's actually got a decent selection of the kinds of games we'd traditionally see in the late Q1/and early Q2 period.

If some of the stuff that's confirmed for 2017 but not dated yet comes out in Q2 for Switch, like it will be on other platforms, the lineup's even better.

TS-08

Excluding the deliberately obtuse posters, I'd argue the sheer amount of GAF posters and threads debating multiple aspects of the Switch kinda implies their marketing still isn't exactly clear.

One guy in another thread I swear I thought was going to Jack Nicholson Shining style crazy by repeatedly typed 'THE SWITCH IS A HANDHELD END OF' posts when Reggie here himself is using the terminology 'console' which equally has big connotations for the masses

Most of the confusion and debate is stuff regarding some of the smaller details of the console, not its fundamental function, which was actually a point of confusion with the Wii U.

aBarreras

Yeah Nintendo doesn't seemed to have learned their lesson.

WII U failures
Price
Marketing
Useless Technology
Lack of third part support
Lack of first party support
Hard to code for

Throw in stuff like online failures and power, and I'm not sure how much they actually fixed.

your schtick is getting old

McLovin

I want one but had no desire to get a Wii U, so they must be doing something right. Plus since they didn't sell that many Wii U's if the Switch is successful they can resell ports.

Istaerion

I don't think the Switch will fail like the Wii U simply because it's been marketed correctly so far and people aren't confused on whether or not it's an add-on to an already present console.

I've had family members and friends in the past ask me if the Wii U was just an attachment or optional upgrade to their Wii whereas most of these same people are now talking about the Switch as a separate device and how they're excited Nintendo's coming out with something new.

It'll never be as successful as the Wii as that craze has been over and done with, but I definitely see a larger casual market base than the Wii U simply because it doesn't have the Wii name and the fact that it's essentially merging the home and handheld console market.

The launch window can be quite disappointing for hardcore fans to be sure, however, Nintendo's managed to give definite answers for software titles people are generally looking for in a Nintendo purchase... and in the same year even.

Overall, I think Nintendo's weakest link right now is their online infrastructure and the fact that they're going to be charging for functions most people have known to be free experiences from Nintendo. It'll be a hard sale at first to convince casual folks and families to justify an extra expense for online multiplayer with games they can currently play for free on the Wii U should they already have them.

Nerazar

From what I have read, Splatoon does not appear to be a full sequel and is instead an enhanced port of the original. Zelda was developed for the Wii-U, you can call it whatever you want, but it's still a Wii-U port.

What would be a "full sequel" for that kind of game, though? Sometimes even I get confused about the amount or lack of novelty in franchise games, especially in the AAA (multiplayer) department...

Oregano

MK8 has all the DLC included and a few extras
ARMs has been received really well, all hands on impressions are positive
There's plenty of PS4 games that are sequels to games you could play online for free.

FE is made by Omega Force. They probably started last week and have finished already.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There were also some years where, for a few months, Nintendo did have one big game out on Wii U every month. They couldn't maintain it though due to the 3DS which usually had big stuff out more frequently.

At the end of the day their promises for the Switch boil down to one thing. Combining all software development onto a single platform. If this really happens, there will be a ton of different IPs and franchises concentrated in a single place.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

E3 is in June, right? And given Nintendo's tendency to announce games at E3 for release later that same year, I would imagine we'll get a better idea of what the second half of the year holds at that time.

Kids are going to flip their shit for ARMS. GAF though...

I dunno dude. I feel like this will fit into the SFV trap where there is a solid game in there but with no meat around it to hook the casual audience for full price.

Then again I was wrong about Splatoon so it could happen?

psyfi

Banned
Have to wonder if they showed all the heavy hitters for 2017 at the presentation, or if there's still reveals coming (at E3). I hope so, because otherwise that's a pretty dire year.
If Pokemon is coming this year it's not going to be announced for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of their E3 announcements.

phanphare

Banned

Splatoon 2 is absolutely a full sequel lol, why do people keep doing this

I've put in over 1,000 hours into the first game, there is no question that it's a sequel and a lot of people saw that from the 10 seconds of footage we saw during the initial teaser trailer

because the Vita wasn't a home console that you could play anywhere?

Well that's true that you can't connect the Vita to a TV, my bad on that. But if the Switch is a portable device with the performance of a home console, then so is the Vita. Do people who play portable games even care about playing them on a big screen? As someone who prefers home consoles, I have no desire to play them on a portable screen. I'm not sure there's much overlap there, and this narrative Nintendo is pushing that you play the Switch before work/school, then grab it and play on your commute seems like something most people won't actually do.

Dantis

MK8 is a game a ton of people havent played because it was on a failure of a system. WTF is a semi-sequel? And Splatoon was full price.

From what I have read, Splatoon does not appear to be a full sequel and is instead an enhanced port of the original.

This, I guess?

Regardless, the lineup is slim, and I'm inclined to say that sales will reflect that, regardless of the Reggie PR.

it was only full price in north america, I believe. everywhere else it was the usd equivalent of $50
That'll be what I'm thinking of then.

Are we seriously expecting things at E3? Especially after what happened the last two?

I'll be utterly shocked if it's not 90% Mario and some filler titles this year.

The message is more clear than wiiu Ill give him that.

But more content? No gaps? What the hell are you talking about, Reggie? You announced like 3 new games for entire 2017?!?!?!?

Anarky

Banned

"These games don't count because reasons."

Nerazar

Other consoles have far more multiplatform games though

Yep. However, at least I am far more interested in the exclusive games on Nintendo devices or at least console / handheld exclusive games. I don't need consoles for multiplatform games except in rare cases.

Rival

Gold Member
I really wonder how many people buying a switch didn't buy a wiiu. I seriously doubt too many people are jumping in from the beginning that don't have wiiu already which will make some of these titles not sell too well. I just hope it's not already doomed by the time there are more compelling titles to play.

An enhanced port of the original wouldn't have cut out all the specials from the original and replaced them with new ones.

This isn't like Mario Kart 8 where they kept the same content but added a couple new characters and a new game mode. They've redone everything, including returning maps.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MK8 is a full price wport of a Wii U title, which is ludicrous. ARMs looks terrible. Splatoon is a full price semi-sequel to a budget title which was free to play online.

Splatoon 2 is a full sequel

Think mario kart 8 deluxe as a goty edition

Top Bottom